Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Can someone please tell me why players like like Donald and Ian poulter don't play more on tour (there is prob more but they stick out). I would have thought if guys like this are struggling for form they would play a lot more often. Is it that they have enough money and there is no motivation.

Just a thought/question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Can someone please tell me why players like like Donald and Ian poulter don't play more on tour (there is prob more but they stick out). I would have thought if guys like this are struggling for form they would play a lot more often. Is it that they have enough money and there is no motivation.

Just a thought/question.

Donald played 20 times on the PGA Tour last season and 7 times this season.

Poulter played 19 times last season and 4 times this season.

Spieth 25(5), Bubba 19(6), DJ 21(6), that's a few random people I checked and I expected Spieth's to be high as he seemed to play everywhere last year. So what I'm saying is most players only tend to play about 20 a year, it just depends on what suits their schedule and sponsors, or how they want to prepare for majors etc etc. It wouldn't be down to money or form as to where or when they play.... That's my take on it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Spieth 25(5), Bubba 19(6), DJ 21(6), that's a few random people I checked and I expected Spieth's to be high as he seemed to play everywhere last year. So what I'm saying is most players only tend to play about 20 a year, it just depends on what suits their schedule and sponsors, or how they want to prepare for majors etc etc. It wouldn't be down to money or form as to where or when they play.... That's my take on it anyway!

God i didnt even think they played that much.

I understand the bigger players not playing as much and sponsors demands but surely if you were luke donald et al and your competitive career is somewhat coming to an end you'd try to play as much as possible to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Three birdies and a bogey on the back 9 for Padraig for a level par round, gets him into the weekend......timely birdie on the last, with the cut switching back anf forth between +4 and +3. Let's hope GMac can sneak in as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

vienne86 wrote: »
    Three birdies and a bogey on the back 9 for Padraig for a level par round, gets him into the weekend......timely birdie on the last, with the cut switching back anf forth between +4 and +3. Let's hope GMac can sneak in as well.

Looks as if the cut is going to fall at +3, so that birdie on his final hole by Padraig was crucial. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

76 today for Bowditch, Fair play

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    76 today for Bowditch, Fair play

A trifle unkind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

Lots of players wearing green on this st paddy's day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Rory seems genuinely surprised at how poorly he played yesterday in this clip https://www.pgatourlive.com/tournament/R2016009/37513089/rory-mcilroy-talks-about-his-round-1-of-api

Starts off this morning by splitting the fairway on his first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Ridiculous par saves from Merritt keeping him in it but absolute clutch from Jason day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Very enjoyable viewing tonight. Looks like advantage Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

The man with the experience really comes through. Scott, fowler,bubba and now Day with very impressive starts to the year heading into the masters. Rory and speith need to up their games.

But what a masters we could have in a couple of weeks. So many top players in great form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

Day asks "Wheres that wind?"

Caddy takes something out of pocket and shades it with his right hand and says "should be accross".

Day then asks if its hurting and caddy looks into his hand and says "I dont believe its hurting at all".

Then puts whatever he is looking at into his pocket.

What was he looking at ? notes?

Rewind if you can :)

A compass is allowed?

http://www.barryrhodes.com/2014/04/did-matt-everys-caddie-breach-rule-14-3.html

Didnt know that. !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nemesis wrote: »
    Day asks "Wheres that wind?"

Caddy takes something out of pocket and shades it with his right hand and says "should be accross".

Day then asks if its hurting and caddy looks into his hand and says "I dont believe its hurting at all".

Then puts whatever he is looking at into his pocket.

What was he looking at ? notes?

Rewind if you can :)

A compass is allowed?

http://www.barryrhodes.com/2014/04/did-matt-everys-caddie-breach-rule-14-3.html

Didnt know that. !

That's really good to know. I was wondering myself. When I go to a foreign golf course, I normally draw arrows across the map of the course at the start of my round on the scorecard to help determine wind direction later on should it be a concern.

With the compass, knowing that you have a south-westerly wind and knowing with certainty what direction you are facing, that would definitely be a help.

Wind definitely wasnt hurting him - He flew it well into that back bunker.

Just what is needed.. something to slow Jason Day up a little bit more.

That drive he hit straight into the crowd on the 18th was fairly shocking... never any doubt as to where it would finish and not a single shout issued.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

HighLine wrote: »
    Just what is needed.. something to slow Jason Day up a little bit more...

That aspect of his game is annoying, US golf trying to encourage speeding things up and then we have to look at him closing his eyes before shots like that is a ball of crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Shane V McIlroy in the last 16 if they both get out of their groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Love matchplay. What's the tv schedule like? Should be able to see as much as I want/as much as Sky can show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Mushy wrote: »
    Love matchplay. What's the tv schedule like? Should be able to see as much as I want/as much as Sky can show

Never liked watching macthplay for some reason except for the ryder cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Mushy wrote: »

From 6pm on SP 4 Wed, Thurs and Friday. Should be a Good Friday on the couch.

381030.png

381031.png

OK so I'll miss the group stage stuff for the most part, but that'll be fine.

Cheers for all the groups, the app just has a straight list so this is much more detailed. Saturday and Sunday sorted though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

noserider wrote: »
    Garcia worth a punt at 40/1?

By all means if you want a bit of interest but I don't like this tournament from a punters perspective, it's a lottery in all fairness. Most of these pros can beat each other on any given day, so someone really has to win 6 coinflips in a row to win it outright, for that reason alone I'd go for longer odds players and hope my number is drawn so to speak!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Betting / Gambling thread here for anyone interested. :)

Mcdowell getting a beating, after being 2up.

Day got through in the end, but he didn't look well in doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Match play is good once or twice a year but does anyone else think the group format is a horrible idea. I feel it's much more exciting as a straight knockout.

Match play is good once or twice a year but does anyone else think the group format is a horrible idea. I feel it's much more exciting as a straight knockout.

It is but you can see why they did it... lots of big names used to be able to get eliminated on day 1.. effecting viewership for the following days.

Elsewhere... Rory still can't hit a wedge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Have they showed any or Lowry v Kaimer yet at all??

Some awful stuff from mcllroy, up against it now.

Lowry has moved 1 ahead

Just into the juice off the tee

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Not watching but if shot tracker is right Lowry went for the green in one after going one up and went for a swim. Awful judgment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

HighLine wrote: »
    Again... Rory has a 134 yard wedge into the 14th just now and misses the green. It's shockingly poor.

He is hitting a lot of dreadful shots. But I think that is the way he plays, good days mixed with bad days. His wedge play is terrible at the moment

blackcard wrote: »
    He is hitting a lot of dreadful shots. But I think that is the way he plays, good days mixed with bad days. His wedge play is terrible at the moment

I deleted that because there was an error on shot tracker but they corrected it. His wedge play is still shocking though - really hope he can get something sorted before Augusta.

Anyone else think the coverage is terrible?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Whats the black ribbon for

Lowry trying to play himself off the ryder cup team

Anyone else think the coverage is terrible?

Always the same with matchplay, show the few featured groups and then you can almost guess the outcome when they show a very long putt or a tap in from someone they haven't shown.

McIlroy lucky he's playing someone playing as poor as himself.

Shane hasn't played well under pressure.
    Won't be happy he didn't win nevermind not even get a half.

Seve OB wrote: »

Brussels

Seve OB wrote: »

Victims of bombs in Belgium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

I wish JP would encourage Rory more.

Rikand wrote: »
    Lowry trying to play himself off the ryder cup team

Almost did that in last year's race to Dubai final series, terrible end to the year with all those points available. Will most likely need a win somewhere. Good chance for a wildcard though unless he has a dreadful year with the likes Poulter, Donald and Westwood looking on a downward spiral.

• Advertisement

Olsen :( dreadful. McIlroy can't believe his luck today.

Speak Now wrote: »
    Olsen :( dreadful. McIlroy can't believe his luck today.

Olsen really gifted that to McIlroy

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Lowry and olesen buckled under pressure. Lowrys putting stance looks all wrong

I must say I like the shot tracker - tracks the balls of both players.

Another disappointing finish for Shane Lowry today - he was 3 up after 9 but only managed to halve the match by winning the 18th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Spieth is ridiculous inside 100 yards.

And GMac coughed up a lead of 2 up to finish up all square with Paul Casey.....probably deserved as neither of them played well.

Is it knock out today?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Is it knock out today?

No, last of the group matches.

• Advertisement

Is it knock out today?

I guess you could call it that, last 16 will be decided.

Lowry who can't progress is already 3 down after 6 to Johnson. I'd say he can't wait to get out of dodge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement