Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGA Tour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So Day is back to number 1 in the world. Quite some slippage from Shane Lowry - down to 33 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

vienne86 wrote: »
    So Day is back to number 1 in the world. Quite some slippage from Shane Lowry - down to 33 now.

Shane seems to struggle at this time of year (has picked up very few ranking points for the past few years).
    Hopefully he'll hit his stride soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

RTE seem to think that if they mis-report the result of Rory's match with Cabrero-Bello often enough, they might change the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I used to doubt Day had the mentality to be one of the top players in the world as he'd faltered coming home in a few big ones. 6 wins from his last 13 events has more than proved me wrong. Very deserving of world number 1 currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Jason all Day has some short game. Best complete game by far too. If he may cut out the theatrics with the supposed back.pain and visualization malarkey he'd endear himself to so many more. I didn't even watch the final knowing he was in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Speak Now wrote: »
    I used to doubt Day had the mentality to be one of the top players in the world as he'd faltered coming home in a few big ones. 6 wins from his last 13 events has more than proved me wrong. Very deserving of world number 1 currently.

There is no doubt he deserves it, just we shouldn't have to watch him close his eyes for ten seconds on every shot! Having said that it was felt worse as there was only 4 people on the course so they had nothing to show but him falling asleep before every shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

You know when shot tracker says '300 yards to unknown 150 yards to the hole'. I think they know more than they're letting on.

Harrington looks like missing the cut in th Shell Houston Open and Lowry is going to have to find a few birdies to be playing on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Poor Morgan Hoffmann! I saw earlier he was going very well in fact him and Charley were no.1 and 2 at the time but alas he will miss the cut thanks to this ugly stretch...

382021.png

• Advertisement

Another missed cut by Shane Lowry. That'll be another slip in the world rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Just saw Chez Revie throw his ball to his caddie but the ball bounced on the green a few times first....is that testing the surface???thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Just saw Chez Revie throw his ball to his caddie but the ball bounced on the green a few times first....is that testing the surface???thanks

Nope.. no benefit to be gained from such an action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

HighLine wrote:
    Nope.. no benefit to be gained from such an action.

So what about rolling ball on the green....ie testing the surface .what's the difference??

So what about rolling ball on the green....ie testing the surface .what's the difference??

Intention to test the surface I believe. Sort of covered in the decisions for 16-1(d)
    http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Speith on the charge in Houston. 4 under for his round thru 5 holes and 1 off the lead now.

• Advertisement

Speith on the charge in Houston. 4 under for his round thru 5 holes and 1 off the lead now.

Looking like a sprint , another one at 7 from 28 feet. Speith with a hot putter is one of the best sights in golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Cabrera bello flying again, Eagle

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

I think the last pairing today will be blown away. Must be really hard to control the nerves when in the last group for the first time in the big league.

A 307 yard 3 wood from dustin J!!!!! That's just ridiculous power

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

A 307 yard 3 wood from dustin J!!!!! That's just ridiculous power

I'd love to see DJ or Bubba at my local range smashing drives 350 in the air and pretty much out of the park on the range while I dribble up to the 250!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Ben1977 wrote: »
    I think the last pairing today will be blown away. Must be really hard to control the nerves when in the last group for the first time in the big league.

Herman still sticking in there, good look at eagle coming up. Always tougher too when your playing partner is having one of those days.

qwabercd wrote: »
    Herman still sticking in there, good look at eagle coming up. Always tougher too when your playing partner is having one of those days.

Really happy I was wrong, he's playing great and would love it if he won.

That's some shot by Herman into 14

Interesting interview as always with Phil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I'm getting sick of Spieth acting like a little brat when things don't go his way.

What a chip

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

What happenned phils face

m1ck007 wrote: »
    What happenned phils face

Was it grass?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Great shot by stenson to give a birdie chance on 18

Herman is a nervous wreck!!! Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Was it grass?

Blood marks and bruising all over his face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Nice shot by Herman..Go on....

rodge68 wrote: »
    Nice shot by Herman..Go on....

Great win fair play to him

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What a brilliant finish

The double shock at the end when he thinks about the masters...

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/716752457699753984

So where will Willett be in the OWGR tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

vienne86 wrote: »
    So where will Willett be in the OWGR tomorrow?

8th ?

Should just about jump DJ I think but not sure it's enough to get above the 7 point average

Up from 12th to 9th.

Speak Now wrote: »
    Up from 12th to 9th.

Westwood up to 35th - that's good news for Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Great little snippet of the conversation between the rules officials, Brandon Grace and Camilo Villegas there.

• Advertisement

Great little snippet of the conversation between the rules officials, Brandon Grace and Camilo Villegas there.

Found this article on the 15th club interesting, a company that provides extremely in depth analysis on courses, best type of shots etc mainly about Willet and Darren Clarke

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/13/danny-willett-golf-analytics-masters-champion-15th-club

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread couldnt find a place to putt :o it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Felexicon wrote: »
    Eh where? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Found this article on the 15th club interesting, a company that provides extremely in depth analysis on courses, best type of shots etc mainly about Willet and Darren Clarke

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/13/danny-willett-golf-analytics-masters-champion-15th-club

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread couldnt find a place to putt :o it
    I'd say Rory will be signing up with them pronto ;)

Eh where?

It was on Sky last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

HighLine wrote: »

Load of BS, Villegas lost the plot and seems like a bit of a hot head, and rules Official was wrong in saying the ball embedded in sand is not a plugged ball. The definition of soil is wide reaching, so any ball the breaks the surface of the ground and lies in it's own impression is considered plugged.
    In villegas case I would say the ball looked like it was embedded in pine needles and did not break the surface of the ground, so the ruling would seem to be correct, but because Villegas obviously didn't agree with that ruling and he got the hump.
    Also Villegas should be penalised one stroke for touching his ball before he marked the position of the ball.

The rules official was correct. See this article regarding Tiger's infamous penalty in Abu Dhabi a few years ago - http://www.barryrhodes.com/2013/01/13-01-tiger-breaches-rule-re-embedded.html

This always causes confusion because relief "through the green" from an embedded ball is only available on tour via their "hard card" rules. It should be noted the USGA have been pushing for years to try and extend the above relief for an embedded ball "through the green" to regular R&A and USGA golf rules. The R&A do not wish to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

HighLine wrote: »
    The rules official was correct. See this article regarding Tiger's infamous penalty in Abu Dhabi a few years ago - http://www.barryrhodes.com/2013/01/13-01-tiger-breaches-rule-re-embedded.html

This always causes confusion because relief "through the green" from an embedded ball is only available on tour via their "hard card" rules. It should be noted the USGA have been pushing for years to try and extend the above relief for an embedded ball "through the green" to regular R&A and USGA golf rules. The R&A do not wish to do so.

I'm aware of the embedded ball rule applying to the tours only, but that's not the issue here, the confusion arises with the exception that applies to sand, in Harbour point the ground is made up of sand mainly as are links course, my understanding of this local rule is that it allows for abnormal ground conditions, e.g. when the ground is soft due to rain etc, believe it or not sand can also get wet and sticky and a ball can and does plug in sand the same as it would in earth. It's a stupid exception and the rules are an arse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Day leading again, 7 wins in 15 events would be almost Tiger-like.

Day leading again, 7 wins in 15 events would be almost Tiger-like.

It's only Friday night pal there's a lot of golf to go yet

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement