Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor 3g - most unstable internet in Ireland?

• 23-04-2013 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had the misfortune to sign up for Meteors 3g broadband? I have to say without a shadow of a doubt it's the worst internet service I've ever used and the support that they offer is just as bad. It constantly drops from 3g to Edge which is about as good as dialup.

The official Meteor forum is a joke with people constantly saying how bad the service is and that they want to cancel the connection at which point Meteor swoop in and say that they must pay to leave and that they are on a contract. Meteor then make a million excuses and offer fixes that go no where, one genius excuse I saw on there was to switch network priority to Edge. I don't mind paying for something that works but they just seem to be getting worse by the day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

With this service its dependent on a few things.

- Distance from mast.
    - Amount of users in the area
    - What those users are doing

If you live right beside a mast that no one else is using you will get good speeds. When O2 released 3g in my area I was getting 7mb and reasonable ping. But as soon as a lot of people started using the same service the performance declined.

Hopefully when LTE roles out in ireland we will see better performance all round but the above factors will still come into play...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its not broadband, its midband, and anyone who gets it for anything other than checking their emails the odd time is deluding themselves/being conned. 3G isnt suitable for use as a full time broadband solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Spemt 20 minutes on the phone again today

Always the same - service drops to EDGE.
    I ring and jump through the hoops.

Either they do something (God knows what, they refuse to tell me) and it works again.
    Or they tell me there's no coverage issue in my area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

i think its because most people think that by plugging in a dongle to a laptop sitting on your lap in back bedroom they expect 3g speed, these dongles have very small antennas, i used one in a remote area in Gorey and got 7mb no prob by connecting external antenna, im now using one at home in monaghan granted i can see mast but i get a constant 43ms ping and 5.5~6mbits connection

• Advertisement
Advertisement