Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

Twitter rumours Monaco to announce Falcao signing tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

€28m for neymar is incredibly cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

rossie1977 wrote: »

For an unproven in Europe player who still has a lot of potential to fill? Not really.

The gross inflation in the market makes it seem cheap but let's be honest, €28 million is still a huge gamble on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Wouldn't agree, he's hasn't excelled on the big stage for Brazil yet, quite the opposite in fact, his attitude is very questionable also. Always a risk factor there whether players will adjust to the European game. All in all I think he's too dear.

Can't think of any dearer signings from South America. Would this be a record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Mars Bar wrote: »
    For an unproven in Europe player who still has a lot of potential to fill? Not really.

The gross inflation in the market makes it seem cheap but let's be honest, €28 million is still a huge gamble on him.

Not really when you consider the marketing advantages of Neymar too, along with being the brightest youngster in football. It means we can still take a chance if things dont work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

don't think Neymar gets enough credit for scoring as many goals as he has at 21
    20 Goals in 32 already for Brasil 136 in 224 Apps for Santos
    which shows he rarely gets injured too
    Barca have got a good deal & an amazing prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree, he's hasn't excelled on the big stage for Brazil yet, quite the opposite in fact, his attitude is very questionable also. Always a risk factor there whether players will adjust to the European game. All in all I think he's too dear.

Can't think of any dearer signings from South America. Would this be a record?

Lucas Moura went to PSG for 40 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Even if it doesn't work out you'd still expect them to be able to sell him on for most of what the paid for him, like what has happened with Robinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Every signing is a gamble to some extent.

Give the talent that Neymar has shown €28m is what you might call a high percentage transfer.
    It's unlikely his value will drop too far below 28m and he clearly has the talent to become a €100m player.

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Lucas Moura went to PSG for 40 million

Ah yeah, found a list, it would be the 3rd highest after Lucas and Saviola.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague 1h
    if figures r right, FCB will pay €25m to Santos,but also 9 to agents,10 prepayment, 10 to third parties...with 1 year left in his contract!

So apart from agents they have paid 45 Million, why is it reported as 25 Million by all papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Ah yeah, found a list, it would be the 3rd highest after Lucas and Saviola.

Is that Javier Saviola? Didnt realise he cost a lot tbh. How much was he bought for? Or better yet, if you could paste the link of the list :)

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Is that Javier Saviola? Didnt realise he cost a lot tbh. How much was he bought for? Or better yet, if you could paste the link of the list :)

€35 to barca in 2001.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_(association_football)#Highest_fees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

with Real having missed out
    i can see them signing Cavani
    but i can see them going all out to sign Bale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Mars Bar wrote: »

your own club signed anderson for €30m in 2007, 9 league starts for porto and never capped for brazil at the time, in comparison neymar has 20 goals in 30 games for the brazil national team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

€35 was a bit of a bargain in fairness :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anderson never cost 30m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

RasTa wrote: »
    Anderson never cost 30m

Didnt Porto accounts say other wise?

I thought i read that some where

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

RasTa wrote: »
    Anderson never cost 30m

I had thought around 20m myself. Just checked on transfermarkt and they have it down as 31.5m.

Sounds far too high.

Edit: Apparently at the time, the conversion rate from Euro to pounds made the €30m circa £20m (According to Wiki, that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Headshot wrote: »
    Didnt Porto accounts say other wise?

I thought i read that some where

It was 30 Million Euro, which at that time was 18Million pounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

zerks wrote: »
    Athletic Bilbao's Fernando Amorebieta and the Dnipro midfielder Derek Boateng have both joined Fulham on free transfers.

Surely he could have done better for himself?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Pretty sure that list is wrong and Savlioa cost closer to about €15million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    It was 30 Million Euro, which at that time was 18Million pounds.

Pound was never that strong

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

THFC wrote: »
    ....And Barca continue to splash on an area of the squad that doesn't need improving.

It's the area of the squad that needs improving the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

your own club signed anderson for €30m in 2007, 9 league starts for porto and never capped for brazil at the time, in comparison neymar has 20 goals in 30 games for the brazil national team

And that was a gamble. I don't see how Manchester United overpaying for Anderson discredits the argument that Neymar is a gamble. :confused: I doubt Mars Bar had anything to do with the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Don't really know why you're brining Ando in to it if you want an argument from me.
    We paid over the odds for him and he hasn't fulfilled the potential he was bought for.

Neymar is being bought for potential. Potential is always a gamble.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Every transfer is a game. Neymar is less of a gamble than most because of his obvious ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Lewandowski set for Bayern according to Heynkces...surely Gomez will leave if that'll happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Neymar announces he will make move to Barcelona official on Monday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/26/neymar-barcelona-santos-move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Lewandowski set for Bayern according to Heynkces...surely Gomez will leave if that'll happen?

Id assume him and robben will be out the door fairly lively, mandzucik will proabably be second choice to goetze if he trys him as a false 9. Will be a busy summer for munich no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

klose wrote: »
    Id assume him and robben will be out the door fairly lively, mandzucik will proabably be second choice to goetze if he trys him as a false 9. Will be a busy summer for munich no doubt.

I'd say Muller and Kroos are more at risk with Bayern signing Gotze.

Don't see why Bayern would sell Robben as he is their best player IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

So not a Guardiola player though, all that wasted possession and chances...

Neymar will be an interesting one at Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Dosent muller play wide right with kroos behind the striker normally? I think selling kroos or muller would be madness, both still young and very talented, think hell flog robben myself, dont think hes their best player but when his head is screwed on him his nearly unplayable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

He's a sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

i read somewhere a few weeks back that Manchester City are weighing up a move for Robben. £12M i think was the rumoured amount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Not quite that black and white with Falcao. Monaco bid more than anybody else did so Atleti accepted their offer. Atleti want him to go, although they won't say this publicly, so he's going to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's disappointing to see him going to a poor enough league and not playing for one of the big clubs.

I'd like to know how Monaco will get around UEFA FFP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Michelle Platini!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I doubt they'd let Muller go he's been one of the players of the season for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Why does big, bad Financial Fair Play Play get mentioned so much on forums when the French buy players, but if City/Chelsea buy it is barely mentioned and it's all 'great for the Prem' etc. Jealousy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

French sides wouldn't earn nearly as much as EPL sides from tv and stuff. But I may be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Why does big, bad Financial Fair Play Play get mentioned so much on forums when the French buy players, but if City/Chelsea buy it is barely mentioned and it's all 'great for the Prem' etc. Jealousy?

1. The revenue generated by PSG and Monaco aren't anywhere close to the PL sides, so spending far more and wages and transfer fees is more of an issue.
    2. It is mentioned with regards to the PL sides, Chelsea and City mainly - it is mentioned quite a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lewandoski to Bayern confirmed just now on Polish tv according to his agent, though he appears to be a right trouble maker as the player himself said yesterday that he didnt know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

It's disappointing to see him going to a poor enough league and not playing for one of the big clubs.

Wages, a interesting article i found a few weeks ago on the guardian. The zlatan comparison bit is interesting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/may/02/monaco-paris-saint-germain-ligue-1?INTCMP=SRCH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

:confused::confused::confused: its constantly being mentioned and as already pointed out, the revenues of the prem teams are huge, so SOME of the money is their own and they have SOME chance of getting it back towards profitibility.

the latest burst of signings from Monaco just show this FPP will never come in. its a joke set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

:confused::confused::confused: its constantly being mentioned and as already pointed out, the revenues of the prem teams are huge, so SOME of the money is their own and they have SOME chance of getting it back towards profitibility.

the latest burst of signings from Monaco just show this FPP will never come in. its a joke set up.

How does it show that? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Seems like Arsenal are the only club concerned with the FFP :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement