Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Seems like Arsenal are the only club concerned with the FFP :o

United are too - VERY much so.

My personal opinion is that David Gill stepping down as United CEO and his election with Uefa (with a play for a Fifa role seemingly planned for 2015) has been done as part of United's plan/hope for FFP to be enforced - I reckon Gill will be very vocal on getting FFP in place, and working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Wages, a interesting article i found a few weeks ago on the guardian. The zlatan comparison bit is interesting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/may/02/monaco-paris-saint-germain-ligue-1?INTCMP=SRCH

WOW! €30million a year in wages for Zlat, (obviously not his take home pay but still thats nuts!)

He costs them more for a season than Arsenals record transfer fee paid!

Here's a few more exclamation marks for show my outrage *!!!!!!!!*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

United are too - VERY much so.

My personal opinion is that David Gill stepping down as United CEO and his election with Uefa (with a play for a Fifa role seemingly planned for 2015) has been done as part of United's plan/hope for FFP to be enforced - I reckon Gill will be very vocal on getting FFP in place, and working.

I had no idea United were that proactive. I figure they made so much money that the rules wouldn't make much of difference to how the club was run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

I had no idea United were that proactive. I figure they made so much money that the rules wouldn't make much of difference to how the club was run.

Its in Uniteds best interests because they make so much revenue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Headshot wrote: »
    It's disappointing to see him going to a poor enough league and not playing for one of the big clubs.

I'd like to know how Monaco will get around UEFA FFP

The same way City, Chelsea, PSG, Barca, Real, Zenith, CAKA, Spartak and so on will.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Seaneh wrote: »
    The same way City, Chelsea, PSG, Barca, Real, Zenith, CAKA, Spartak and so on will.

Moar lawyers.
    Moar accountants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Headshot wrote: »
    It's disappointing to see him going to a poor enough league and not playing for one of the big clubs.

I'd like to know how Monaco will get around UEFA FFP

They've more European pedigree than say a Man City, don't know if they fit in your criteria of a big club? He'd want to have been an idiot to turn this offer down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Zenith was the best, gazprom become one of the CL biggest sponsors, then a week or 2 later Zenith splurge 60 odd million on hulk and witsel.

Wages, a interesting article i found a few weeks ago on the guardian. The zlatan comparison bit is interesting.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/may/02/monaco-paris-saint-germain-ligue-1?INTCMP=SRCH

According to this article Monaco would somehow be able to pay less than his net take home to match his wages.

wat?

Zlatan is paid €12-14million NET. Also It seems that this article is basing the wage thing on the proposed 75% wealth tax, which hasn't happened and won't be happening. All in all, 2 out of 5, shoddy research.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Rekop dog wrote: »
    They've more European pedigree than say a Man City, don't know if they fit in your criteria of a big club? He'd want to have been an idiot to turn this offer down.

Somehow I don't think he has as much of a say where he goes than a regular player. I'd imagine it's mainly down to his third party owners and who can give them the biggest return on investment possible and at the moment it looks like it's Monaco.

Also read somewhere because of the TPO and the PL banning deals taking pace with such owners he wouldn't be able to be transferred directly to say Chelsea or City. They would need a club to act as a middle man and buy out the TPO first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Rekop dog wrote: »

like RVP and Gotze for example?

playing for a club like Monaco makes him an idiot IMO, very little fans, no CL football, all he is getting is money and a tan.

where is his ambition to win a major league and possibly a CL?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Moar lawyers.
    Moar accountants.

Exactly.

With the likes of Chelsea or City you will just see their owners companies paying insane money for jersey sponsorship or pitch side advertising or stadia naming rights or whatever else they can think up to get around the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

playing for a club like Monaco makes him an idiot IMO, very little fans, no CL football, all he is getting is money and a tan.

There was a good article on Falcao, I'll see if I can track it down. Basically he had no choice in where he could transfer to because of the money his owners needed to make on him.

As for Moutinho etc, he's as much chance of winning something with Monaco as he does with Porto, with the added bonus of trucks of money and a much better location.

They will challenge for the leave next season, the season after that they will be in the CL.

He has a far better chance of a CL at Monaco in the next 3/4 years than he had at Atleti.

He's being offered obnoxious amounts of money to live on the riviera and play football. Anyone who says he's stupid to accept it is either deluded or jealous, simples.

Madrid is nice but I'd much rather live in Monaco if I could afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Money is the biggest incentive for any player, don't fool yourself about that, throw in the attraction of living in one of the sexiest areas in Europe and it makes it a no brainer. CL football will sort itself out very soon with the money they're spending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Firstly I don't think Falcao really wanted to leave Atletico.

http://www.marca.com/2013/05/26/futbol/equipos/atletico/1369604291.html?a=PR38818456e844744cea95530dc174f18b3&t=1369655280

Breaking down in tears and climbing into the stands to salute the ultras an hour after full-time aren't the actions of a man desperate to leave to make billions in Monaco.

Secondly, at Atletico he's on 3.5 million a year, only 1 million more than the likes of Emre. The board don't really want him to stay but can't come out and state this publicly, so they've made some fairly paltry offers to him that he could not in all seriousness accept.

Thirdly, no other team has matched his buyout clause. Monaco have done so, and the club and his 'advisers' want him to accept it. He doesn't know if anybody else will come in with as big an offer and I genuinely think that he has a place for Atletico in his heart and isn't willing to refuse to go and force the club into accepting a smaller bid.

Fourthly, what's to say that Monaco won't be competing for the CL within two or three years? They are putting together a fearsome squad which should be very capable of getting a top 3 finish in France. After that there's no telling how far they can go.

Finally, who doesn't like money and a tan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Seaneh wrote: »
    Zlatan is paid €12-14million NET. Also It seems that this article is basing the wage thing on the proposed 75% wealth tax, which hasn't happened and won't be happening. All in all, 2 out of 5, shoddy research.

Even without the 75% rate tax it's still the difference between 50-60% tax and 0% tax in Monaco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Not totally sure how much input Falcao himself had on where he went,third party ownership had alot invested in him so they had to be looked after in any deal.
    Hard to see any club paying 3 parties for a players registration rights..Falcao,3rd party and Athletico......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I like how a lot of the tabloids are saying he's going to Monaco "for the money".

So if he joined City or Chelsea and won everything in sight wouldn't he be on the same money ? Instead he's going to a club rebuilding itself, however its being financed Falcao is making a brave decision going to Monaco

Gbear wrote: »
    Even without the 75% rate tax it's still the difference between 50-60% tax and 0% tax in Monaco.

yeah but according to that article Monaco would have been able to pay €9million a match his take home. that is obviously wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Coentrao will be shown the door at Madrid this summer after admitted that he has feels unwanted. wouldnt be surprised if he ended up at Monaco since his agent Jorge Mendes has already sold them Falcao, James Rodriguez and Moutinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

swoody wrote: »
    Coentrao will be shown the door at Madrid this summer after admitted that he has feels unwanted. wouldnt be surprised if he ended up at Monaco since his agent Jorge Mendes has already sold them Falcao, James Rodriguez and Moutinho

I'd take him at Chelsea in a heart beat, Cole doesnt have long left at the top and considering he only signed a 1 yr extension a few months ago I'd rather Coentrao then Bertrand in the near future although Shaw is potentially the best long term option and hes a Chelsea fane could sway it on our direction.

Although in Shaw's case I'd rather see hm at Southampton for another season at least, geting constant games to improve himeself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Transfer News Live ‏@DeadlineDayLive 12m
    Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdés is expected to sign a contract at AS Monaco within the next 48 hours. (Source: Telefoot)

Arshavin to join Khazar Lankaran in Azerbaijan and earn 2M a month, that will make him the higest paid player in the world

BLSsf1RCQAEAtL3.jpg

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis annouced via Twitter that Rafael Benitez would be the new coach of the Serie A club.

c2825619-71b9-469b-b298-2dd758b5b66f

https://twitter.com/ADeLaurentiis/status/339095640736931842

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

interesting
    maybe Nani or Anderson might go there too if there not wanted at Man U
    Carvalho is joining Monaco too another Mendes player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Arshavin to join Khazar Lankaran in Azerbaijan and earn 2M a month, that will make him the higest paid player in the world
    Hardly true??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Jesus, what the **** happened to football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis annouced via Twitter that Rafael Benitez would be the new coach of the Serie A club.

c2825619-71b9-469b-b298-2dd758b5b66f

https://twitter.com/ADeLaurentiis/status/339095640736931842

Shrewd by De Laurentiis. Benitez is a great tactician and Napoli should have money to spend this summer.

He'll tighten them up at the back but will really need a top quality striker when Cavani leaves.

BLSsf1RCQAEAtL3.jpg

Zimbabwean dollars I presume

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

From a quick twitter search, the Arshavin source is this : http://sport.rbc.ru/football/newsline/01/04/2013/386109.shtml

Translate it away, but first look at the date: 01/04/2013

April fools :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

marno21 wrote: »
    From a quick twitter search, the Arshavin source is this : http://sport.rbc.ru/football/newsline/01/04/2013/386109.shtml

Translate it away, but first look at the date: 01/04/2013

April fools :)

Going by his twitter hes definately off so i guess thats where it stemmed from. I remeber seeing a rumour a while ago he was considering retirement :pac:

Didnt rivaldo play in azerbaijan in his twilight years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

klose wrote: »
    Going by his twitter hes definately off so i guess thats where it stemmed from. I remeber seeing a rumour a while ago he was considering retirement :pac:

Didnt rivaldo play in azerbaijan in his twilight years?

Uzbekistan. Made a mint as well.

Played for Bunyodkor who are owned by Uzbekistans "Benevolent" Dictator Islom Karimov.

They tried to sign Eto'o a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sunderland have signed Cabral on a free transfer from Basel, 4 year deal. Can't say I know much about him at all, anyone here familiar with him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adilson_Tavares_Varela

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/cabral/leistungsdaten/spieler_33046.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Martinez leaves Wigan, Everton enquired about him on Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

AS reporting that Falcao has signed a 5 year deal with Monaco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

klose wrote: »
    Going by his twitter hes definately off so i guess thats where it stemmed from.

He is out of contract and there is no hope of him getting a new one. Fulham were supposed to be interested for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

zerks wrote: »
    AS reporting that Falcao has signed a 5 year deal with Monaco.
    Just when you think football can't get anymore stupid.

Falcao is a great player, no doubt, but the Russian lad who owns Monaco is an idiot. He will never make his money back on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Falcao is a great player, no doubt, but the Russian lad who owns Monaco is an idiot. He will never make his money back on this.

Has that been confirmed as his objective though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

What makes you think he ever intended to?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

But he will win things. You don't buy players at Falcao's age to make a profit you do it to win things like van Persie at man united

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

But he will win things. You don't buy players at Falcao's age to make a profit you do it to win things like van Persie at man united

It also makes it easier to attract other star players to the project if you have one already on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Liverpool agree deal for Kolo Toure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

He won't care . He's worth 9 billion this just a hobby for him I would imagine .

As opposed to the lads at city, chelsea, psg, milan, inter, and so on? they are all raking it in are they?

He's spending money on his play thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Liverpool agree deal for Kolo Toure

Got him on a free...could be a good move for both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

You don't buy a football club to make money. It's a sign of prestige and a hobby for owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It's literally a real life version of football manager.

What's the big deal.

He's joining a team that will be pushing for the league next season and should be in the CL the following year.

The money is nuts but it's peanuts to the owner of Monaco, pocket change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

At least PSG have some competition. Marseille must be sick!

• Advertisement
Advertisement