Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

At least PSG have some competition. Marseille must be sick!

joey-barton.jpg

Oul Joey will win them the league .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

rarnes1 wrote: »
    What's the big deal.

He's joining a team that will be pushing for the league next season and should be in the CL the following year.

The money is nuts but it's peanuts to the owner of Monaco, pocket change.
    The French League though. Hardly that exciting. I'm not surprised by it, but I wouldn't put this down to anything other than finances, which is fine like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Ricardo Carvalho has also just signed a one year deal with Monaco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Some very shrewd buys by Monaco already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

DubDani wrote: »
    Ricardo Carvalho has also just signed a one year deal with Monaco.

Carvalho is passed it, it's the kind of signing QPR would have made last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

PeterTwo wrote: »
    Carvalho is passed it, it's the kind of signing QPR would have made last summer.

Has the quality for the French league, the only team that will challenge them is PSG the others will be too busy containing Falcao, Rodriguez etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Monaco are buying smart imo
    Falcao,Rodrigues, & Moutinho have all played together at some point
    being linked with Hulk now too

PSG are very short for next seasons Ligue 1 at 1/3 with all this considered. 7/2 for Monaco isn't terrible if they're about to add 8 more new players of similar quality to Moutinho, Rodriguez and Falcao (which they probably are)

MD1990 wrote: »
    Monaco are buying smart imo
    Falcao,Rodrigues, & Moutinho have all played together at some point
    being linked with Hulk now too

Coentrao is another, excellent signing if they did.

Tech3 wrote: »
    Coentrao is another, excellent signing if they did.
    is Hulk a Mendes player?
    alot of his players are joining Monaco it seems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

is Hulk a Mendes player?
    alot of his players are joining Monaco it seems
    yes he pretty much owns any player who plays or played in Portugal

not up to date but you get the idea....

http://chiquiesteban.com/graphics/jorge_mendes_top_40_players.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Surprised I'm not seeing Nani to Monaco rumours everywhere tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bales agent pimping his client to Real Madrid

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/29/gareth-bale-tottenham-hotspur-real-madrid
    Gareth Bale's agent, Jonathan Barnett, has appeared on Marca TV to express his willingness to listen to an offer from Real Madrid for his client. Barnett, the chairman of the Stellar Group that represents Bale, said there had been no discussions as yet regarding a new contract at Tottenham Hotspur for the Wales international and he added that in his view, Bale was "worth more than Neymar … he's a better player than him." The Brazil forward has just completed a high-profile transfer from Santos to Barcelona.

Barnett went on to discuss Bale's market value in relation to Neymar and how much the former may cost. The Neymar deal is complicated, with the basic fee to Santos and the other economic partners being €28m but the monies rising sharply with add-ons.

"Bale is a better player than Neymar and he's demonstrated it in one of the best leagues in the world," Barnett said. "I would imagine clubs want him not just because they missed out on Neymar but because of how good he is. He should be the first option, we'll see … Bale is worth more than Neymar.

"Bale is very relaxed [about the situation] … he's enjoying a deserved holiday. He only wants to be happy and enjoy his football."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Surprised I'm not seeing Nani to Monaco rumours everywhere tbh.

As much as some United fans hate to admit it, there's a reason the "top" clubs aren't lining up for him....

As much as some United fans hate to admit it, there's a reason the "top" clubs aren't lining up for him....

True but that hasnt stopped Jorge Mendes flogging a donkey to a top club before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Why does everyone mention Nani & Jorge Mendes together ? Mendes is not Nani's agent .

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Why does everyone mention Nani & Jorge Mendes together ? Mendes is not Nani's agent .

Because Mendes brokered Nani's transfer to United, not Ana Almeida. Who is his agent now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Ohne Berater according to TransferMarkt.com

Though United website say Mendes so maybe he has some connection with the other guy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Dempsey wrote: »
    True but that hasnt stopped Jorge Mendes flogging a donkey to a top club before

I know I'm going to regret this but how is Nani a "donkey"?

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    I know I'm going to regret this but how is Nani a "donkey"?

That comment was more in reference to Mendes getting €9m out of United for Bebe. That said, Nani wouldnt represent a good buy for Monaco imo, he's not worth the wages he's reported to be looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Dempsey wrote: »
    That comment was more in reference to Mendes getting €9m out of United for Bebe. That said, Nani wouldnt represent a good buy for Monaco imo, he's not worth the wages he's reported to be looking for.

If you are talking about the 300k he asked off a russian club - that was because he had no intention of going there, and that request was as much to tell them to F-Off.

From United he is seemingly wanting 100-120k or thereabouts, which wouldn't be mad in Monaco terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

mike65 wrote: »

What planet is that guy on? I'm not doubting Bale's ability but his opinion that Bale is without a doubt better than Neymar is ridiculous. The Bara man has scored a stunning amount of goals in the Brazilian league (admittedly a weaker league than the Premier League) and is currently the star of the Brazilian national team. He's a sublime player with such a huge amount of potential, its not just any player that Barcelona spend such money, time and effort on but they are obviously confident that Neymar will be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What planet is that guy on? I'm not doubting Bale's ability but his opinion that Bale is without a doubt better than Neymar is ridiculous. The Bara man has scored a stunning amount of goals in the Brazilian league (admittedly a weaker league than the Premier League) and is currently the star of the Brazilian national team. He's a sublime player with such a huge amount of potential, its not just any player that Barcelona spend such money, time and effort on but they are obviously confident that Neymar will be worth it.

I know right! Zlatan and Alexis were hardly fit to lace Neymar's boots.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I know right! Zlatan and Alexis were hardly fit to lace Neymar's boots.

Ibra's proven himself to be a great striker, one of the great strikers of his generation, his quality cannot be questioned, only his ability to fit into the Barcelona system. Alexis is a wonderful player, a former Serie A player of the year, in any other team, playing in his favoured central position he'd be a force for any other club, at Barcelona it isn't possible, he's been the proverbial square peg in a round hole, though he is having a strong end to the season. His ability and quality is not in doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

The one major flaw throughout Barca's period of European and domestic domination has been a seriously poor record in the transfer market. Hleb, Chygrynsky, Kerrison and then a few arguable ones like Zlatan, Alexis, Villa, Cesc.

Their record does nothing to inspire confidence.

• Advertisement

carlop wrote: »
    The one major flaw throughout Barca's period of European and domestic domination has been a seriously poor record in the transfer market. Hleb, Chygrynsky, Kerrison and then a few arguable ones like Zlatan, Alexis, Villa, Cesc.

Their record does nothing to inspire confidence.

I wouldn't call it seriously poor, I'd call it uneven or inconsistent. For all of the Hleb's and Chygrynsky's there have been Alves and Pique, Alba and Adriano, Keita and Henry.

It's a bit harsh to judge Fabregas this early, he's still relatively young and he is still in contention to break into the first team. I'd make a case for Sanchez too, he had a good first season and has had a strong finish to this season, there's still a chance for him. Villa was a good signing, he oozed quality but his injury has been a real setback to him, not fair to blame Barcelona's transfer policy on that, nobody could have predicted that. Ibra was a misjudgement, granted.

But Neymar is not a spur of the moment signing or the latest flavour of the month. He's a player that Barcelona have been tracking for some time, a player that they felt compelled to put down a €10 million deposit (for lack of a better term) on. To me, the patience that Barcelona have shown make this more of a Messi joining Barcelona (though of course the fees involved are considerably different given the different stages both were at when they joined Barcelona) than a Chygrynsky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Overmars and Petit, the Dutch contingent that flopped badly a few years back - Barca have had their fair share of disasters.

Neymar is only 21 & already has 20 goals for Brazil
    he hasn't done it in Europe because he is very young
    i personally can see him winning a Ballon D'or in 4 or 5 years

Overmars and Petit, the Dutch contingent that flopped badly a few years back - Barca have had their fair share of disasters.
    Petit is French

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

They've also signed Messi, Maradona and Johann Cryuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Rumour doing the rounds is that Monaco have now set their sights onto Hatem Ben Arfa.

@Andersonisgod: the last few years have demonstrated that the below statement:
    its not just any player that Barcelona spend such money, time and effort on but they are obviously confident that Neymar will be worth it

doesn't mean a whole lot. Barcelona get high profile transfers wrong - so they are not more than any other club on that front. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Petit is French
    I know, I was referring to Kluivert and the other Dutch flops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Neymar is only 21 & already has 20 goals for Brazil
    he hasn't done it in Europe because he is very young
    i personally can see him winning a Ballon D'or in 4 or 5 years

...or is it because he hasn't been playing in Europe yet?

@Andersonisgod: the last few years have demonstrated that the below statement:

doesn't mean a whole lot. Barcelona get high profile transfers wrong - so they are not more than any other club on that front. ;)

They've gotten a few wrong, but then Barcelona's transfers targets are always ridiculously difficult to determine because not only do they have to be of the very highest quality, with the right attitude but they also have to be able to play the Barcelona way. Ibrahimovic has proven himself to be a great player at practically every club he has played for, except Barcelona. On paper it looked great, a target man, a plan B and as an added bonus he has the technical ability of a nimble number 10. In action it didn't work out. I always have a bit of sympathy with Barcelona's attempts to find non-La Masia players to fit into their team and system.

Like I said though, Neymar isn't a flavour of the month, he isn't a plan B, he is coming to Barcelona to slot straight into the team (and not many players could say that) to offer more quality and to help Messi.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    ...or is it because he hasn't been playing in Europe yet?
    i just explained why he hasn't played in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

i just explained why he hasn't played in Europe

hasn't done it sounds like he was trying but didn't achieve. That's the way I picked it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I've nothing against Barcelona, but that Eto + €45M for Ibrahimovic deal was one of the stupidest deals I've seen.

I'll be laying Monaco to win the French League after they close more of these deals and the price drops further. They are buying a new 11 and that doesn't tend to work out when it comes to consistency and stability over a whole league campaign. Point of reference: PSG 2011 - 12.

I'll be laying Monaco to win the French League after they close more of these deals and the price drops further. They are buying a new 11 and that doesn't tend to work out when it comes to consistency and stability over a whole league campaign. Point of reference: PSG 2011 - 12.
    I agree with you as a rule, but I would say that Monaco are signing a higher class of player than PSG 11/12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I wouldn't call it seriously poor, I'd call it uneven or inconsistent. For all of the Hleb's and Chygrynsky's there have been Alves and Pique, Alba and Adriano, Keita and Henry.

It's a bit harsh to judge Fabregas this early, he's still relatively young and he is still in contention to break into the first team. I'd make a case for Sanchez too, he had a good first season and has had a strong finish to this season, there's still a chance for him. Villa was a good signing, he oozed quality but his injury has been a real setback to him, not fair to blame Barcelona's transfer policy on that, nobody could have predicted that. Ibra was a misjudgement, granted.

But Neymar is not a spur of the moment signing or the latest flavour of the month. He's a player that Barcelona have been tracking for some time, a player that they felt compelled to put down a €10 million deposit (for lack of a better term) on. To me, the patience that Barcelona have shown make this more of a Messi joining Barcelona (though of course the fees involved are considerably different given the different stages both were at when they joined Barcelona) than a Chygrynsky.

That's why I said arguable. I personally think Cesc has been quite poor, Sanchez is not much better than what they already had or could have got elsewhere for far less, Villa has been unlucky and Zlatan is a bit harshly judged, given he scored over 20 goals that season. However, I would say they are all arguable and both sides could be argued for each one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

CSF wrote: »
    I agree with you as a rule, but I would say that Monaco are signing a higher class of player than PSG 11/12

As already mentioned on this thread as well, Moutinho, Rodriguez and Falcao have all played with each other before which should help smooth the settling in process.

It is great to see the French league have two genuine superpowers now, it'll make the league far more marketable and interesting.

And players that already have played with each other before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Ireland kept Ibra very quiet.

Ireland > Ibra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ireland kept Ibra very quiet.

Ireland > Ibra

4.5Million against 1 Man.

Odds were never in his favour TBH.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

GavRedKing wrote: »
    4.5Million against 1 Man.

Odds were never in his favour TBH.

:pac:

Well if your gonna nit pick

Monaco still have a fair bit to do in the transfer market yet to compete with PSG. Also they need a good squad not just the first 11.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

They've also signed Messi, Maradona and Johann Cryuff.

Maradona has his worst patch of form at Barcelona, so you can't really call him a great signing for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I know, I was referring to Kluivert and the other Dutch flops.

Since when was Kluivert a flop at Barcelona?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Are they? Ibrahimovic is as good as Falcao, Lavezzi is better than Rodriguez....sure Monaco have Moutinho but remember PSG signed probably the best centre half in the world as well.

Advertisement