Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I hope that liverpool 'player' (for lack of a better term) that bit a player & racially abused another (fact, not an insult/accusation, surely cant be banned for this!!!!!) Will be out the door so we dont have to look at him anymore!!!!!

Heard real madrid are in for him! Good!!!

He did not racially abuse another player imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

For me he's in the top 5 goalkeepers in the world, maybe a case could even be made for top 3. That we get another year of him can only be a good thing.

IMO, hes nowhere near the top 3 in the world.

He might be good for Barca's system but hes not near the top 3 G.K.s in the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

GavRedKing wrote: »
    IMO, hes nowhere near the top 3 in the world.

He might be good for Barca's system but hes not near the top 3 G.K.s in the world.

I think he's barely one of the top 3 keeper's in Spain, never mind the world.

I hope that liverpool 'player' (for lack of a better term) that bit a player & racially abused another (fact, not an insult/accusation, surely cant be banned for this!!!!!) Will be out the door so we dont have to look at him anymore!!!!!

Suarez is not a Racist
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He did not racially abuse another player imo.

Dont start this up again ffs.

Tupac, leave your wishes at the door please as it will rub people up the wrong way.

Back on topic.....

Seaneh wrote: »
    I think he's barely one of the top 3 keeper's in Spain, never mind the world.

I'd agree,

Courtois
    Caballero
    Casillas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

The man has Barcelona running through his veins. A boy born in Barcelona, has worked his way through the youth teams, a product of La Masia. He's gone on to prove himself as one if the best goalkeepers in the history of Barcelona, an outstanding shot stopper, a top drawer one vs one goalkeeper, a technically gifted goalkeeper who plays out from the back, the Barca way, and is very quick of his line to sweep up danger (a sweeper keeper, important to Barcelona's high line defending) and a powerful communicator.

For me he's in the top 5 goalkeepers in the world, maybe a case could even be made for top 3. That we get another year of him can only be a good thing.

I'm surprised you said only Top 5 and Top 3. Surely he is the best in the world as he is THE LA MASIA product?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Cesc being heavily linked with an Arsenal via twitter by geoffarsenal who is generally bang on with Arsenal news, has said its complicated though which probably due to the deal signed between Arsenal and Barca when he went the oppossite way.

Odds are Barcelona still owe Arsenal and want to just write that off and have arsenal pay more on top of it and Arsenal probably want to pay less or something.

Cesc being heavily linked with an Arsenal via twitter by geoffarsenal who is generally bang on with Arsenal news, has said its complicated though which probably due to the deal signed between Arsenal and Barca when he went the oppossite way.

Was it reported that Arsenal are owed 50% of any future transfer.

So in theory if they bought him for 15Million theyed only be paying 12.5 Million

Could be all bull though.

• Advertisement

Was it reported that Arsenal are owed 50% of any future transfer.

So in theory if they bought him for 15Million theyed only be paying 12.5 Million

Could be all bull though.

wait, wouldn't that be €7.5m (50% of €15m is 7.5m)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I'm surprised you said only Top 5 and Top 3. Surely he is the best in the world as he is THE LA MASIA product?

Im not biased, far from it, and yet that's what I think you are trying to say in your comment.

And to the others. The man is definitely top 5. 19 major titles including 5 La Ligas, 2 Copa Del Reys, 3 Champions Leagues and he is still only 31 years of age. That isn't to mention the personal distinction of 5 Zamora awards. The only keepers I'd definitely have over him are Casillas, Cech and probably Neuer.

Yeh there was a lot of rumours along them line such as Arsenal get 50% on a sell on clause, Arsenal got first refusal, Arsenal had a set price on a buy back set in his Barca contract etc.

No way of knowing which if any is true but one things for sure it wasn't a plain and simple transfer which is probably what will if it happens make it complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Im not biased, far from it,

lol.

Im not biased, far from it, and yet that's what I think you are trying to say in your comment.

And to the others. The man is definitely top 5. 19 major titles including 5 La Ligas, 2 Copa Del Reys, 3 Champions Leagues and he is still only 31 years of age. That isn't to mention the personal distinction of 5 Zamora awards. The only keepers I'd definitely have over him are Casillas, Cech and probably Neuer.

Sebastiano Rossi has the record for longest time without conceding a goal in Serie A (929 consecutive minutes), he won 12 major titles, 5 Scudetto and the 1994 Champions League.

That said, he was still, at best, a slightly above average keeper.
    Much like Valdes, despite his club success there were much better keepers at other clubs in Italy. He never even earned a national team cap, I don't even know if he ever made the squad, he probably should have won a few, but the reality is, that despite his record for clean sheets, despite his medal haul and everything else, he was never one of the best in the world, he just played for one of the best teams in the world, a team who didn't allow the opposition very many scoring opportunities.

Much like valdes, he was the small fish in a big pond, a player who didn't have to be the best, because the players around him were good enough to not have to worry about it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Both the 50% sell on clause and the possibility of Cesc wanting to come back (this summer) sound too good to be true.

It'd be immense if he did come back to Arsenal though; best signing the club could possibly make.

• Advertisement

Sebastiano Rossi has the record for longest time without conceding a goal in Serie A (929 consecutive minutes), he won 12 major titles, 5 Scudetto and the 1994 Champions League.

Much like Valdes, despite his club success there were much better keepers at other clubs in Italy. He never even earned a national team cap, I don't even know if he ever made the squad, he probably should have won a few, but the reality is, that despite his record for clean sheets, despite his medal haul and everything else, he was never one of the best in the world, he just played for one of the best teams in the world, a team who didn't allow the opposition very many scoring opportunities.

Much like valdes, he was the small fish in a big pond, a player who didn't have to be the best, because the players around him were good enough to not have to worry about it.

Valdes does get into the Spanish squad. Infancy he beats away competition from Man Utd and Liverpool's number one goalkeepers to be the second choice behind Casillas. He has earned a decent number of national caps too so I'm not really sure what your national team point is about.

But the thing is, despite playing behind one of the best teams ever, he is one of the best goalkeepers around. When called upon he produces, time and time again. His highlight reel of saves, of big saves in big games, is hugely impressive. The man is the perfect Barcelona goalkeeper. You aren't the first choice in your position at Barcelona if you are average, as you say Valdes is.

He's been the number one at Barcelona now for a long time, a regular in the Spanish squad, a reliable and consistent presence at the back, occasionally the heroe of Barcelona, a great goalkeeper and that's what he will go down as in Barcelona history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Valdes does get into the Spanish squad. Infancy he beats away competition from Man Utd and Liverpool's number one goalkeepers to be the second choice behind Casillas. He has earned a decent number of national caps too so I'm not really sure what your national team point is about.

But the thing is, despite playing behind one of the best teams ever, he is one of the best goalkeepers around. When called upon he produces, time and time again. His highlight reel of saves, of big saves in big games, is hugely impressive. The man is the perfect Barcelona goalkeeper. You aren't the first choice in your position at Barcelona if you are average, as you say Valdes is.

He's been the number one at Barcelona now for a long time, a regular in the Spanish squad, a reliable and consistent presence at the back, occasionally the heroe of Barcelona, a great goalkeeper and that's what he will go down as in Barcelona history.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. He fits well in at Barcelona, but he is prone to mistakes, letting in goals that top keepers should be making more often. Thats not to say that he can't pull off the incredible at times.

From one extreme opinion to another, but again its inbetween. He's better than average, but not great as you'd put it.

Bit disappointed to be honest that we arent going to get any money towards a new GK from selling him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Yeah, Valdes is a very good goalkeeper who excels at a lot of the things Barca need in a goalkeeper (quick off the line, very good at 1 v 1s, great distribution) but as said he's prone to a few too many blunders for a top level keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

As much as people like to think it is the word used by Suarez is not racist where he is from. Royston Drenthe said that his south American teammates called him that word and Messi called him that word in a match

I forgot, Barcelona are the amazingest, if he plays for Barcelona he must be one of the amazingest as well, He's dreamy too.

Now, on to more productive things, I've a brick wall to be talking to about the government's socio-economic policies and their effects on children from disadvantaged areas, I think I might get a little more change from that exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Blatter wrote: »
    Yeah, Valdes is a very good goalkeeper who excels at a lot of the things Barca need in a goalkeeper (quick off the line, very good at 1 v 1s, great distribution) but as said he's prone to a few too many blunders for a top level keeper.

I would wholly agree with this , he is very good for Barcelona and their system but if you take him out of Barcelona I wonder how he would cope . It's a hard call to make in my eyes because Barcelona can leave their keeper very exposed at times .
    I can honestly say he is not in the top 3 goalkeepers in the world right now and will probably never be either . He does make an awful lot of mistakes .

Reina is younger than Valdes, playing for a smaller club and certainly not one of the top 3 keepers around. He has more caps than Valdes. They are certainly good keepers, but both are far too prone to mistakes to be considered "great" imo.

miralize wrote: »
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves. He fits well in at Barcelona, but he is prone to mistakes, letting in goals that top keepers should be making more often. Thats not to say that he can't pull off the incredible at times.

From one extreme opinion to another, but again its inbetween. He's better than average, but not great as you'd put it.

Bit disappointed to be honest that we arent going to get any money towards a new GK from selling him.

Personally I think the occasional mistakes are made too much of. Some of them are inevitable given how Barcelona want their goalkeeper to play. In the end its that philosophy that does more good than harm.

I'm delighted he is staying. Lots of upheaval right now. He is a consistent presence at the back, somebody who doesn't have to try to adapt to the Barcelona style of goalkeeping with other players trying to adapt at the same time and he is an outstanding goalkeeper.

I forgot, Barcelona are the amazingest, if he plays for Barcelona he must be one of the amazingest as well, He's dreamy too.

Now, on to more productive things, I've a brick wall to be talking to about the government's socio-economic policies and their effects on children from disadvantaged areas, I think I might get a little more change from that exchange.

I'm glad you brought that up, I thought its be a bit too extreme of me to bring it up and I might even have been accused of bias.

Good luck with all of that, I hope you enjoy it. Personally I'm going to enjoy another vintage year of Valdes in goal for Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

As much as people like to think it is the word used by Suarez is not racist where he is from. Royston Drenthe said that his south American teammates called him that word and Messi called him that word in a match

Of course it was. If he used in that country fair enough, but he used in a country where its consider racist.

If i used the N word in work and i told them that where i come from its not racist, i still get sacked!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It seems a terrible shame that you were forced to write the above post tbh.

wait, wouldn't that be €7.5m (50% of €15m is 7.5m)?

Meant to type 25Million.....woops. :o

Meant to type 25Million.....woops. :o

I was seriously thinking "have I missed something in this post or is he numerically dyslexic...".

Of course it was. If he used in that country fair enough, but he used in a country where its consider racist.

If i used the N word in work and i told them that where i come from its not racist, i still get sacked!!

Did ye not see my original warning?

This isnt 2 years ago and it isnt a Suarez debate.

Next person bringing up is getting carded.

Last warning........

I was seriously thinking "have I missed something in this post or is he numerically dyslexic...".

12pm, rushing for lunch, hit 1 instead of 2.

Although it didnt take Higher level maths to figure out that 50% of 15million and getting 12.5Million wasnt what I meant :o:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Luis Suarez confirms he wants to leave Liverpool. From Sky Sports News.

Suarez confirms he is looking for Liverpool exit via Skysports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The red half of Merseyside reacts:

1916_ee23.gif

Did ye not see my original warning?

This isnt 2 years ago and it isnt a Suarez debate.

Next person bringing up is getting carded.

Last warning........

Suarez is currently a talk of transfer speculation and this is a transfer thread. All history of a player comes under a transfer.

Or do we have to start a transfer thread for Suarez to talk about him?

Suarez is currently a talk of transfer speculation and this is a transfer thread. All history of a player comes under a transfer.

Or do we have to start a transfer thread for Suarez to talk about him?

Talk about Suarez by all means but bringing up the is he or isnt he racist bollocks and ye'll be carded, simple rule to follow I would have thought?

Talk about Suarez by all means but bringing up the is he or isnt he racist bollocks and ye'll be carded, simple rule to follow I would have thought?

Maybe i missed something, unless this is a rule in the charter? otherwise it comes into scope, as all a players history comes in to scope on a transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nice of him to repay the loyalty of the club & it's fans who defended him (blindly imo) to the hilt.His remark over the press hounding him is bollix as he's trying to find somebody to blame for his wanting to leave for a bigger club.He's just trying to appease fans & trying not to look an even bigger cnut than he already is but I reckon most already have this sussed.
    Would he find the Spanish or Italian press any more forgiving if he carried on the way he has over there?

On the bright side,Liverpool will be rid of a massive headache,as talented as he is,it's no good just waiting for the next suspension or having him out of the team for acting the knob.

Maybe i missed something, unless this is a rule in the charter? otherwise it comes into scope, as all a players history comes in to scope on a transfer.

Well it would mainly fall under this, Trolling :
    When it is done to deliberately rile an individual or group on the forum then it becomes trolling.

The mod team reserve the right to apply their judgement as to a users intent when posting, and issue bans and/or infractions for trolling as necessary.

Example :

Man Utd Fan - Suarez is a dirty racist Im glad hes going
    Liverpool fan - No hes not, its one word against the other

Etc etc etc and then youve got pages of bollocks and cards handed out, hence, why any talk of Suarez leaving is fine.

But bringing up the Suarez/Evra debate again for the umpteenth time is not going to be allowed.

zerks wrote: »
    Nice of him to repay the loyalty of the club & it's fans who defended him (blindly imo) to the hilt.His remark over the press hounding him is bollix as he's trying to find somebody to blame for his wanting to leave for a bigger club.He's just trying to appease fans & trying not to look an even bigger cnut than he already is but I reckon most already have this sussed.
    Would he find the Spanish or Italian press any more forgiving if he carried on the way he has over there?

On the bright side,Liverpool will be rid of a massive headache,as talented as he is,it's no good just waiting for the next suspension or having him out of the team for acting the knob.

Pool can now sign 2 and 2/3 allen's :D

"I hope this is ok"

• Advertisement

Well it would mainly fall under this, Trolling :

Example :

Man Utd Fan - Suarez is a dirty racist Im glad hes going
    Liverpool fan - No hes not, its one word against the other

Etc etc etc and then youve got pages of bollocks and cards handed out, hence, why any talk of Suarez leaving is fine.

But bringing up the Suarez/Evra debate again for the umpteenth time is not going to be allowed.

Whatever i leave it, but quiet sad that, as i wasnt rile anyone.

And in fairness every thread will rile someone!!

Trust me, if you had continued down the racist debate it would have dragged others into it and a few of ye would have eventually picked up cards.

Lets try stay on topic, its potentially the biggest transfer story of the window for the EPL anyway.

I'd say Suarez will go, Rooney will stay, as will Fabregas. I think Liverpool will be better off in the long run without him, if they get anything near €35 for him, it's good business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Suarez should be added to thread title now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Does Suarez want a move from England? Spurs should try sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Given that its the media he has a problem with and not the club, I'm guessing yes. Also Spurs isnt enough of a step up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Where?

Sideways move IMO.

And Levy, being Levy will offer about 10pound for him anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

miralize wrote: »
    Given that its the media he has a problem with and not the club, I'm guessing yes. Also Spurs isnt enough of a step up.

The media is a very easy and convenient excuse, he should just came out and be honest about the club not meeting his ambitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Sideways move IMO.

And Levy, being Levy will offer about 10pound for him anyway.

Not exactly sideways, from team competing for Europa to team competing for top 4 but yes he will want to move to a team fighting for titles and Champions leagues.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Not exactly sideways, from team competing for Europa to team competing for top 4 but yes he will want to move to a team fighting for titles and Champions leagues.

Its not the step up he dreams of IMO, a real step up would be City or Utd, teams that will be fighting for the title and bankers for a top 4 finish but Liverpool wont sell to an English team anyway so its all fairly pointless, and Suarez is sick of the media so onward and upward, La Liga bound as I cant see Juventus stomping up for him.

Monaco or PSG anyone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement