Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

CSF wrote: »
    Really don't think the fact that they have just won the league is relevant to this particular conversation. They've primarily won the league because of 1 of the 4 players mentioned, with Rooney also making a fairly comprehensive contribution. Hernandez chipped in when needed, but I really don't think Welbeck ever really contributed in a way that swung the league. Pretty sure if it was just Van Persie, Rooney and Hernandez United would still be comfortable champions.

So if we do go along with your theory Liverpool have enough in Suarez and Sturridge you have just contradicted yourself by saying 3 is enough for Man United.
    If Sturridge gets injured next season or if suarez gets a lengthy ban or injured they will be left with one fit available striker again which is just crazy.
    It's clear Liverpool need another striker to compete with Sturridge or be there as back.
    And before anyone says Remy won't get there as back up. That's bull as every player needs to earn their right to be in the team.
    When you get in the team it's up to you to make sure the manager doesn't drop you.

Liverpool will need a good centre half, possibly two. Maybe Williams and Alderweireld if the price is right. Good chance we will sign one of Christian Eriksen or Henrikh Mkhitaryan. Rumor goes that the latter has changed agent to get a move to Anfield. Sincerely hope Luis and Reina stay. Also a good chance all of Carroll/Skrtel/Shelvey/Coates will be sold to raise money.

Why would Henrikh Mkhitaryan's agent change be any reason for him to get a move to Liverpool?
    I think he now has the same agent as Balotelli?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

amiable wrote: »
    Why would Henrikh Mkhitaryan's agent change be any reason for him to get a move to Liverpool?
    I think he now has the same agent as Balotelli?

As I said complete rumor but I read this earlier on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,578 ✭✭✭✭CSF

So if we do go along with your theory Liverpool have enough in Suarez and Sturridge you have just contradicted yourself by saying 3 is enough for Man United.
    If Sturridge gets injured next season or if suarez gets a lengthy ban or injured they will be left with one fit available striker again which is just crazy.
    It's clear Liverpool need another striker to compete with Sturridge or be there as back.
    And before anyone says Remy won't get there as back up. That's bull as every player needs to earn their right to be in the team.
    When you get in the team it's up to you to make sure the manager doesn't drop you.
    With the formation Liverpool play, they can get the likes of Sterling, Suso, and Coutinho to cover, as long as they've someone to lead the line.

Either way, I didn't say Liverpool didn't need anyone up there, I said they needed something different.

With the formation Liverpool play, they can get the likes of Sterling, Suso, and Coutinho to cover, as long as they've someone to lead the line.

Either way, I didn't say Liverpool didn't need anyone up there, I said they needed something different.
    Liverpool have reverted to 442 several times this season meaning they would need more than 2 strikers.
    Suso and Sterling are struggling at the moment and it's hard to say how Coutinho would adapt to playing higher up the pitch.
    The point stands that Liverpool need another striker in case of injuries or suspensions if they want to progress next season.

As I said complete rumor but I read this earlier on.

Not the best source but fair enough.
    I can't see him going to Liverpool personally.
    I hope I'm wrong though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

We have Borini as 3rd choice striker.

We have Borini as 3rd choice striker.

Who when not injured is woeful

Who when not injured is woeful

It's a bit premature to write him off when he's barely played for the team this season, if he's fit he might get a run of games now that Suarez is out. Rodgers seems to rate him anyway so i doubt he's going to buy another striker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Hasn't Rodgers used Sterling as forward earlier on in the season also ?

Liverpool have reverted to 442 several times this season meaning they would need more than 2 strikers.
    Suso and Sterling are struggling at the moment and it's hard to say how Coutinho would adapt to playing higher up the pitch.
    The point stands that Liverpool need another striker in case of injuries or suspensions if they want to progress next season.
    As said below, Borini is there too. And if they want to go 442 they'd be better served going for someone more physical as when Carroll leaves, Liverpool don't really have that. I don't see what Remy has that Sturridge, Suarez, Borini, Sterling and Suso can't cover in terms of balance.

As said below, Borini is there too. And if they want to go 442 they'd be better served going for someone more physical as when Carroll leaves, Liverpool don't really have that. I don't see what Remy has that Sturridge, Suarez, Borini, Sterling and Suso can't cover in terms of balance.

On current form Remy is better than all 3 in bold.
    If Liverpool want to improve they need cover and proper competition.
    I'm not even sure Remy is the man to do it but I would like a striker added to the squad. Another goal scorer.

On current form Remy is better than all 3 in bold.
    If Liverpool want to improve they need cover and proper competition.
    I'm not even sure Remy is the man to do it but I would like a striker added to the squad. Another goal scorer.
    The 3 in bold would surely command much lower wages, making them a better fit for their position in the squad. Benteke would be the ideal for Liverpool at the moment in terms of who is actually attainable.

The 3 in bold would surely command much lower wages, making them a better fit for their position in the squad. Benteke would be the ideal for Liverpool at the moment in terms of who is actually attainable.

Why would Remy not be attainable?
    Sure Liverpool can decide we won't improve the squad because we have a fe kids on lower wages that between them might provide adequate cover in some games so lets write off the chance of a return to the top 4.
    Benteke looks decent too but I thought Liverpool don't need another striker or is that you just don't like the idea of Remy?

Why would Remy not be attainable?
    Sure Liverpool can decide we won't improve the squad because we have a fe kids on lower wages that between them might provide adequate cover in some games so lets write off the chance of a return to the top 4.
    Benteke looks decent too but I thought Liverpool don't need another striker or is that you just don't like the idea of Remy?
    As I've been saying all along, if Liverpool do go for someone else, it needs to be someone who offers something else. Benteke does that.

Remy would be attainable but surely too expensive a wage for a player who isn't as good as what Liverpool already have. Benteke is miles better and would actually offer something to Liverpool in terms of how Rodgers can change a game when required.

• Advertisement

As I've been saying all along, if Liverpool do go for someone else, it needs to be someone who offers something else. Benteke does that.

Remy would be attainable but surely too expensive a wage for a player who isn't as good as what Liverpool already have. Benteke is miles better and would actually offer something to Liverpool in terms of how Rodgers can change a game when required.
    And as I've been saying all along a goalscorer would offer competition.
    What wages is Remy on?

And as I've been saying all along a goalscorer would offer competition.
    What wages is Remy on?
    Enough to make QPR a more appealing prospect than Marseille and Newcastle. A quick google says 75k a week from the Guardian but who knows how accurate that is.

Enough to make QPR a more appealing prospect than Marseille and Newcastle. A quick google says 75k a week from the Guardian but who knows how accurate that is.
    Marseille wouldn't match Premier League wages in general.
    Newcastle aren't paying their players big money.
    Willie McKay is a crafty fecker and I have no doubt he knew by getting him to go to QPR he would get another % for a summer move when QPR got relegated.

Marseille wouldn't match Premier League wages in general.
    Newcastle aren't paying their players big money.
    Willie McKay is a crafty fecker and I have no doubt he knew by getting him to go to QPR he would get another % for a summer move when QPR got relegated.
    All those facts are probably true, but he would still be on at least 60k (and probably about 20% more than that) at QPR. Did he represent value there to QPR who were in dire need of goals to stop them going down? Maybe. Does he represent value at that wage (or close to it) for a team who already have great options in Suarez and Sturridge? For me, no. In terms of value, Liverpool could do so much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

mike65 wrote: »
    Suarez to er....!

Henrikh Mkhitaryan to Liverpool if Eriksen doesn't happen.

Suarez to Borussia Munchen Centreback

• Advertisement

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Suarez to Borussia Munchen Centreback
    That jokes been done to death already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

That jokes been done to death already.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Micah Richards for the exit door at Man City apparently. Along with Scott Sinclair i'd imagine although Sinclair's wages will be a stumbling block for many teams.

Liverpool will get Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing and Martin Skrtel off the books by the looks of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I hate rumors, I prefer rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Will somebody please please buy jonjo shelvey off us? Ill help part finance the deal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

slingerz wrote: »
    Micah Richards for the exit door at Man City apparently. Along with Scott Sinclair i'd imagine although Sinclair's wages will be a stumbling block for many teams.

Nearly no chance of either of those deals happening in reality I think. Micah has no reason to leave, and there's absolutely nobody who'd be willing to put up the kind of money we'd need to sell Sinclair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Isco to Dortmund anyone?

Maybe even Eriksen as they look to replace Goetze. Probably not though, all things considered.

Knex. wrote: »
    Isco to Dortmund anyone?

Maybe even Eriksen as they look to replace Goetze. Probably not though, all things considered.
    Eriksen to Dortmund would make alot of sense.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Isco to Dortmund anyone?

Way ahead of you (on Twitter) chief. Isco is the one I want. Eriksen and Belhanda I'd settle for too.

Also have Hoffman and Bittencourt in the ranks who might see far more game time next season now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Good chance we will sign one of Christian Eriksen or Henrikh Mkhitaryan.
    I would be shocked if we got either player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea need, IMO, a good CB .

Ivanovic - not good enough consistently.
    Cahill - not up to this level either I feel.
    JT - too old.
    Luiz - liable to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Way ahead of you (on Twitter) chief. Isco is the one I want. Eriksen and Belhanda I'd settle for too.

Also have Hoffman and Bittencourt in the ranks who might see far more game time next season now.

Interested in Son too according to an article posted on mopo.de a few minutes ago. I find it hard to believe as the fee mentioned is €23m.

€15m + Santana would be grand. Shall I get in touch with Watzke and sort it out?

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Interested in Son too according to an article posted on mopo.de a few minutes ago. I find it hard to believe as the fee mentioned is €23m.

€15m + Santana would be grand. Shall I get in touch with Watzke and sort it out?

€5M + Santana and we'll talk ;)

You know me from past conversations about Son to Dortmund or Liverpool, I'd gladly him at either. Son has been linked with Dortmund since last summer so I really wouldn't be surprised if we did indeed sign him a couple of months time.

Maybe we could get my boy Inui too to join Son here. MOAR Asians! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

will the FFP restricte spending?
    or will the new tv money outweigh it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Need to start going on Twitter more often, is actually something I remarkably forget about a lot :P

How likely would you rate the chances of signing Isco actually? The CL run this year will obviously bode well in attracting players, plus money available now wih Gotze transfer, plus I imagine he was one of the higher payed member's of the squad, even if he did come through as a youth?

Don't think I've ever seen Hoffman or Bittencourt play, or if I did I didn't take much notice, so can't really comment on either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I can see Huddlestone going to Fulham.

Damiao linked with us all summer just for internacional to say at the end they aren't selling until January.

Jao Moutinho to be linked with Spurs but go somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Assou-Ekotto supposed to be on the way out to.

Need to start going on Twitter more often, is actually something I remarkably forget about a lot :P

How likely would you rate the chances of signing Isco actually? The CL run this year will obviously bode well in attracting players, plus money available now wih Gotze transfer, plus I imagine he was one of the higher payed member's of the squad, even if he did come through as a youth?

Don't think I've ever seen Hoffman or Bittencourt play, or if I did I didn't take much notice, so can't really comment on either.

Hard to say. We can only compete so far especially if up against the real big spenders. We wouldn't blow the entire budget on Isco neither, Klopp wouldn't allow it let alone the club I think it's safe to say, even in the knowledge that €37M is coming our way. Klopp was very, very complimentary about Isco in the match program for the Malaga game I do know that and after playing against us, he'll have got a better idea of him as a player.

Spaniard have certainly enjoyed themselves in the Bundesliga in recent times by all accounts too, so if Isco needed a reference. - Raul, Javi Martinez, Juardo, Dominguez, Carvajal and there is more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Italian media calling bullsh*t on Cavani to PSG....

http://www.football-italia.net/33426/doubts-over-cavani-psg-report

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nearly no chance of either of those deals happening in reality I think. Micah has no reason to leave, and there's absolutely nobody who'd be willing to put up the kind of money we'd need to sell Sinclair.

Sinclair will go out on a year long loan imo, the other team paying 50% of his wages.

He's contracted until 2016 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Sinclair will go out on a year long loan imo, the other team paying 50% of his wages.

He's contracted until 2016 :o

2016?? **** me he did well didnt he

kryogen wrote: »
    2016?? **** me he did well didnt he

On a cool 40k+ a week, and he's banging Rosie from Corporation Street.

Credit where it's due to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Xavi6 wrote: »
    On a cool 40k+ a week, and he's banging Rosie from Corporation Street.

Credit where it's due to be fair.

It's funny you say that.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4900532/helen-flanagan-tells-pals-her-and-scott-sinclair-are-over.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mail reporting that Falcao to Chelsea is as good as done with a £46 million fee being reported.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2313751/Radamel-Falcao-transfer-latest-Chelsea-believe-close-signing-striker-46m.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

City made some daft signings the last while. Jack Rodwell and Scott Sinclair?...not exactly signings that a club like City should be signing in fairness.

joe123 wrote: »
    City made some daft signings the last while. Jack Rodwell and Scott Sinclair?...not exactly signings that a club like City should be signing in fairness.

One of the main reasons they were bought is because they're English, i.e. homegrown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

joe123 wrote: »

didnt they sign them to boost their allocation of home grown players?

Sure wasnt Richard Wright signed as well?

Xavi6 can correct me on all the above though..................and he has. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Jake Carroll signed for Huddersfield from St Pats.

Smashing player, should be in the ireland squad in about 20 minutes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

zerks wrote: »
    Mail reporting that Falcao to Chelsea is as good as done with a £46 million fee being reported.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2313751/Radamel-Falcao-transfer-latest-Chelsea-believe-close-signing-striker-46m.html

Can we ban the daily mail for this thread please? They are clueless.

Not saying the above isn't true, but most of the time they pull transfer figures and entire rumours out of their hole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement