Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I think that is one of the most outstanding collection of goals ive seen from a player in one season, definitely since Ronaldo at united. Some sensational strikes in there, impressive stuff.

Still people on here who reckon he's overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

swoody wrote: »
    you obviously didnt watch a lot of spurs last season. "nearly" all his goal where like this.........

+1

Bale is incredibly effective at cutting in and getting his shot away. They could always switch it up to provide more width, but with Marcelo bombing on and perhaps signing a new right-back I think it would be more effective with Ron on the left and Bale on the right. I imagine it would be pretty fluid either way.

Would Bale be able to get Ronaldo off freekicks? Because he's far better than him imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Pj! wrote: »
    Still people on here who reckon he's overrated.

He is overrated by the majority of people. People throw around a figure of €80 million and mention him in the same sentence as Ronaldo and Messi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Nuts102 wrote: »
    He is overrated by the majority of people. People throw around a figure of €80 million and mention him in the same sentence as Ronaldo and Messi.

Isn't there something in the papers today about a £85m bid from Real, thats crazy if its true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

GTR63 wrote: »
    Isn't there something in the papers today about a £85m bid from Real, thats crazy if its true.

Gareth Bale is arguably the premier available talent in the market today, Barca or Real wont sell Messi or Ronaldo, so it's not all that crazy. Torres went for £50M, Carroll for £30M etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go for £50-60M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Gareth Bale is arguably the premier available talent in the market today, Barca or Real wont sell Messi or Ronaldo, so it's not all that crazy. Torres went for £50M, Carroll for £30M etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go for £50-60M

£35m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You can't use the 2 worst transfers in recent years to judge the market value of a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Some people are awful begrudging towards Bale, and it is somewhat understandable. But the fact remains, he's 23 and he's just bagged 31 goals this past season playing on the wing. Ronaldo was scoring similar amounts at his age, from the wing, but he was playing at a better club. I'm not saying Bale will be better than Ronaldo, that's highly unlikey, but he's easily worth some of the figures being quoted.

People talk about 30 goal a season strikers being invaluable, and they rarely go for under £30m (obviously, RvP in his last season of his contract was an exception), and using that logic, what's Bale worth considering he's a winger? £50 million anyway.

The thoughts of him, Ronaldo and Benzema in the same attack is quite frankly frightening. That's nearly a guaranteed 80 league goals a season before taking into account the other 8 players on the pitch. In a way, I'd love to see it, but I'd be devastated if (or when) he leaves Spurs. If Real managed to capture Bale, keep Ronaldo and add maybe one or 2 more players to their squad they would have to potential to dominate the club scene, even against the quality of Barca and Bayern. I simply couldn't see any defence coping with those 3 plus Ozil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

THFC wrote: »
    Some people are awful begrudging towards Bale, and it is somewhat understandable. But the fact remains, he's 23 and he's just bagged 31 goals this past season playing on the wing. Ronaldo was scoring similar amounts at his age, from the wing, but he was playing at a better club. I'm not saying Bale will be better than Ronaldo, that's highly unlikey, but he's easily worth some of the figures being quoted.

People talk about 30 goal a season strikers being invaluable, and they rarely go for under £30m (obviously, RvP in his last season of his contract was an exception), and using that logic, what's Bale worth considering he's a winger? £50 million anyway.

The thoughts of him, Ronaldo and Benzema in the same attack is quite frankly frightening. That's nearly a guaranteed 80 league goals a season before taking into account the other 8 players on the pitch. In a way, I'd love to see it, but I'd be devastated if (or when) he leaves Spurs. If Real managed to capture Bale, keep Ronaldo and add maybe one or 2 more players to their squad they would have to potential to dominate the club scene, even against the quality of Barca and Bayern. I simply couldn't see any defence coping with those 3 plus Ozil.
    Bale is a great player
    his goals in the video posted is an amazing collection for one season
    i think 50-60m would be his value
    but paying 85m would be too much for him imo
    Ronaldo was worth more in 09 because his goals won trophies & he done it the CL
    for me Bale needs to move to a CL club to challenge for a Ballon D'or

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Comparisons are difficult and everyone will have a different opinion. eg You were making out Seamus Coleman was as good as or if not better than Bale a couple of years ago.

People failed to see his potential and seem to prefer to continue knocking him for whatever reason. He'll be at the very top for years to come.

Not really begrudging saying he isn't worth 85m, thats a huge fee for a guy who has 1 year experience in the Champ League. The Ronaldo comparison is obvious but he'd won a lot with United when he moved. Even as a Liverpool fan 50 for Suarez is a bit much he got 30 Goals with less games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

He's worth €85m because Tottenham do not want to sell him, that's what his talent is worth to Spurs. By looking at how this season panned out for Spurs, we can say that Gareth Bale signifies Champions League football for them. As an example, their run in the competition in 2010/11 earned them €31,133,000. It's a huge potential revenue stream, that is really only within their reach if they keep him. So hypothetically, as a young, exciting symbol for the club who attracts TV deals, shirt-sales etc. he is a prime asset to the club.

You factor in the compensation for that loss of revenue over the course of the remainder of his contract (3 years x 30 million), you run into the region of €80-€90 million hypothetically.

All in all, though the €85m figure is more than likely plucked from nowhere, you can roughly see where it comes from - whatever about comparisons to other players and so on - that amount just signifies the threshold for an offer that the club might not turn down. Coupled with the fact that Levy milks every last penny out of clubs for players without half the promise that Bale has, you could easily see how this figure is fairly realistic. He sold a 25-year old Michael Carrick for £16m and a 27 year old Berbatov for £30m!

Good post Agnostic Mantis. There is an awful lot involved in what makes up a transfer figure. Using them for any sort of comparison is silly and people shouldn't get too caught up in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can bale play rw/rm too? Hes not going to dislodge ronnie on the left and ozil is probably the best number 10 around at the moment so cant see him dislodging him there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

klose wrote: »
    Can bale play rw/rm too? Hes not going to dislodge ronnie on the left and ozil is probably the best number 10 around at the moment so cant see him dislodging him there either.
    He's been rotating wings throughout games all season. Much better off the left wing though, but don't forget Ronaldo played off the right for United from what I remember. Plenty of time to adapt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

AdamD wrote: »
    You can't use the 2 worst transfers in recent years to judge the market value of a player.

Who said anything about market value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

THFC wrote: »
    He's been rotating wings throughout games all season. Much better off the left wing though, but don't forget Ronaldo played off the right for United from what I remember. Plenty of time to adapt.

That's very true. Wasn't Ronaldo signed as a replacement for Beckham initially?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Not going to lie. I fapped to that goal montage. Some incredible strikes there.

I reckon he goes for 50-60m.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

klose wrote: »

Ozil's been playing on the right a bit of late, with Modric playing in the centre. I can't see that continuing though.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Seaneh wrote: »
    Milan being linked with a free transfer for Renato Civelli, any of your french football followers have an opinion on him?

Haven't watched Nice this past season so wouldn't be able to comment on him myself.

Think saulgoode9 on here follows Nice, so he should have an opinion on him.

• Advertisement

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Haven't watched Nice this past season so wouldn't be able to comment on him myself.

Think saulgoode9 on here follows Nice, so he should have an opinion on him.

Didn't he give Ibra a kiss on the cheek earlier in the year.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Didn't he give Ibra a kiss on the cheek earlier in the year.

Lol, yup.

Stekelenburg will undergo a medical and sign his deal with Fulham on Tuesday according to Sky Italia.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Stekelenburg will undergo a medical and sign his deal with Fulham on Tuesday according to Sky Italia.

Fulham have had a fairly impressive streak of goalkeepers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Hearing Gomez is off to Napoli. If the writing wasn't already on the wall for losing Cav it is now. Interesting replacement though.

BILD said it earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Jesus Navas
    Sevilla
    >Manchester City
    €31M

Only a rumour at present but Txiki Beguiristain was pictured at Seville's airport a few days ago. Apparently there to discuss an offer for Kondogbia as well.

Jesus Navas
    Sevilla
    >Manchester City
    €31M

Only a rumour at present but Txiki Beguiristain was pictured at Seville's airport a few days ago. Apparently there to discuss an offer for Kondogbia as well.

Wide players are definitely a big need for City. Navas would definitely improve them but 31 million is an awful lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Not worth 31 million of course, but it is City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kryogen wrote: »
    Not worth 31 million of course, but it is City

Exactly, clubs add a few million to their asking price when they know we're interested. Annoying but them's the breaks.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Exactly, clubs add a few million to their asking price when they know we're interested. Annoying but them's the breaks.

We can just call it a Manchester tax from now on instead of the usual United tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Xavi6 wrote: »

Surely to combat this some under the table deal could be done between City and another club. Any player that City want, they ask a lesser known team to enquire about the player....and then when am actual price has been given they can swoop in. It probably wouldn't be legal but it would stop that bolloxology that you are talking about.

Of course, City are so rich that a few million here or there isn't that big a deal so it's probably not worth the effort. Besides, FFP doesn't apply because you can just imagine up a new sponsor to give you a few billion.

It wouldn't stop it anyway tbf, United have been quoted 15-20 million for players before only to see them transfer to other team for half that.

Just because a club tells Roma for example they can have a player for 8 million doesn't mean they cant tell City they will only let him go to them for 15 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Seaneh wrote: »
    Milan being linked with a free transfer for Renato Civelli, any of your french football followers have an opinion on him?

I've watched ~80% of Nice games this season and he's a very good centre back in fantastic form. Solid defender, great in the air and has an eye for goal too (Nice third highest scorer). Was linked to a few teams around Europe including England two or three years ago. 29 now, but would be a good addition to Milan defence, possibly even pushing for a starting place if he continues his form into next season. Would be a big loss for OGCN but can't see him saying no to Milan if they are interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Twitter machine has Stootman and Garay heading to Utd pretty soon,both seem to have a few sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Skybet have suspended betting on strootman to united

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Am just reading on Sport1.de, about Borussia Dortmund being interested in Podolski :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

dahat wrote: »
    Twitter machine has Stootman and Garay heading to Utd pretty soon,both seem to have a few sources.

All the sources seem to be pretty poor tbh, couldn't find a decent one. Garay has been linked before but I'd hope and think that there's nothing in it. No need for him with Vidic, Rio, Evans, Jones and Smalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Blatter wrote: »
    All the sources seem to be pretty poor tbh, couldn't find a decent one. Garay has been linked before but I'd hope and think that there's nothing in it. No need for him with Vidic, Rio, Evans, Jones and Smalling.

Maybe it's to do with Rio and his age, Vidic and his recurring injury and isn't Smalling injured at the moment too - maybe that one is more serious than we know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭me89

Real Betis goalkeeper Adrian San Miguel is having a medical at West Ham.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Maybe it's to do with Rio and his age, Vidic and his recurring injury and isn't Smalling injured at the moment too - maybe that one is more serious than we know?

5 senior centre backs is already verging on overkill for any club to have even taking into account those kind of circumstances. Having 6 on the books is just bad business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Real Madrid have made use of their Buy-Back option for 21year old Spanish Under 21 International Daniel Carvajal from Bayer Leverkusen.

Leverkusen bought him last year for 5 mil. Euro, and after a very good season Real takes buys back for 6.5 mil Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Who is the first choice RB at Madrid? Carvajal was excellent for Bayer and could start, I didn't realise there was a buy-back clause in his deal.

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    Who is the first choice RB at Madrid? Carvajal was excellent for Bayer and could start, I didn't realise there was a buy-back clause in his deal.

Arbeloa, widely recognised as the weakest component of the Spanish and Madrid sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Isn't Jesus Navas a bit of a risk signing? Given he is coming of the back of a poor season, his stats for last season that are being thrown about don't make for impressive reading. Jesus Navas 12/13 in La Liga - 37 starts, 0 goals, 6 assists
    Lars1916 wrote: »
    Am just reading on Sport1.de, about Borussia Dortmund being interested in Podolski :eek:

Podolski came out almost immediately and squashed them rumours on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Isn't Jesus Navas a bit of a risk signing?

He's also got creepy murderer eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Gbear wrote: »
    He's also got creepy murderer eyes.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned his previous problems with chronic homesickness. It wasn't long ago he seriously struggled to leave Seville for a week, let alone go and live in Manchester.

Andalucians are notorious homebirds who spend the majority of the time they spend away from it talking about how great it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Mehdi Benatia to Roma for €6million by the middle of enxt week according to Italian press.

Amaing value for money signing. He's one of the best centre backs in Serie A and could easily play for any top team, quality player.

• Advertisement
Advertisement