Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Jax Teller wrote: »

Was sure he'd be at Utd next.

Should be good news for Chelsea fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Delighted in a way that Mourinho's back in the PL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

carlop wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned his previous problems with chronic homesickness. It wasn't long ago he seriously struggled to leave Seville for a week, let alone go and live in Manchester.

Andalucians are notorious homebirds who spend the majority of the time they spend away from it talking about how great it is.

Yeah remember Reyes always struggled with living in England, tbh surprised more don't when you're coming from sunnier climes.

I'm sure Silva and Javi being at City had a big part to play in his decision to go, they seem like good guys so I'd say they'll help him settle. Also think it's better for his chances of getting more game time for the country. The likes of Mata Azpilicueta and even Silva played themselves into more regular members since coming to the prem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Isn't Jesus Navas a bit of a risk signing? Given he is coming of the back of a poor season, his stats for last season that are being thrown about don't make for impressive reading. Jesus Navas 12/13 in La Liga - 37 starts, 0 goals, 6 assists

He created 79 clear cut chances this season, the fifth most in La Liga according to Sid Lowe. Not his fault if other players can't finish them off.

EDIT: This stat from Opta Joe backs that up -
    OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe

71 - Jesus Navas created the most chances from open play in La Liga during 2012-13. Crafty.
    carlop wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned his previous problems with chronic homesickness.

:confused: Loads of people have mentioned it, it's been a main focal point of pretty much every opinion piece I've seen surrounding the move.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/03/jesus-navas-manchester-city-signs-17m
    The 27-year-old believes he is now ready to move abroad having fully overcome the anxiety attacks that marked the early stages of his career.

Any recommended accounts you guys follow on Twitter that give reliable transfer info?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Sacramento wrote: »
    Any recommended accounts you guys follow on Twitter that give reliable transfer info?

I just follow a good number of football journalists and look for consensus. Hard enough to get 1 person that's ahead of everyone else for every transfer.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Very interested to see how Jesus Navas gets on at City. His chronic homesickness is well documented and is something that has prevented a move away from Sevilla happening way sooner. It also affected his international career too for some time. But it seems in the past few years he's gotten over that. City have a few Spanish players and speakers which will be good for him you'd imagine, as well as a fair few Spanish players based around the North East too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Jesus Navas
    Sevilla
    >Manchester City
    €31M

Only a rumour at present but Txiki Beguiristain was pictured at Seville's airport a few days ago. Apparently there to discuss an offer for Kondogbia as well.

Graham Hunter has this nearly confirmed. €23M with a further €4M potentially if he fulfills his add-on clauses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He created 79 clear cut chances this season, the fifth most in La Liga according to Sid Lowe. Not his fault if other players can't finish them off.

EDIT: This stat from Opta Joe backs that up

You can't blame his lack of goals on other payers though ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Navas is a quality player. City have lacked width for a while now. He'll bring it in spades.

Excellent pickup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Am just reading on Sport1.de, about Borussia Dortmund being interested in Podolski :eek:

Podolski out

Higuain in?

Nani
    Manchester United
    >AS Monaco
    £20M

Was on Radio Monte Carlo apparently. Nearly done. Can only find twitter confirmation on it so far. We'll file this one under :rolleyes: for now methinks. Even though that is his actual value tbf. He's brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Nani
    Manchester United
    >AS Monaco
    £20M

Was on Radio Monte Carlo apparently. Nearly done. Can only find twitter confirmation on it so far. We'll file this one under :rolleyes: for now methinks. Even though that is his actual value tbf. He's brilliant.

They paid £38.5m for Rodriguez, they'll pay more for Nani would be my thinking, but he only has a year left on his contract and similar to RVP will go for less than he's worth.

They were never going to pay more for Nani than Rodriguez, because of age and the contract situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Nani
    Manchester United
    >AS Monaco
    £20M

loads of recent links according to google - one hour ago this was posted

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/404672/Monaco-set-to-provide-escape-route-for-unsettled-Manchester-United-winger-Nani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I didn't mean more as in they'll pay more than what they paid for Rodriguez, I was just using it as an example to gauge his value. I think we can get around 25 for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I didn't mean more as in they'll pay more than what they paid for Rodriguez, I was just using it as an example to gauge his value. I think we can get around 25 for him.

I don't.

He's a player who obviously is in dispute with the club, his contract is running out and he's not had a consistent run in a first team for over a year. If we get 20m for him, I'd be thrilled cause I think it's more than we should be getting given all the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

If United get 15 for Nani they would be doing very well. But with Monaco splashing cash everywhere it could rise by a few million.

Navas is a bargain at 20-25m. Terrific winger and great work rate. Can even play right back when needed.... He'll definitely need to work on his strength though if he arrives but when you look at him and Silva, there isn't too much of a difference and Silva definitely hasn't suffered by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Navas is ridiculously bad value at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

TheComeUp wrote: »
    If United get 15 for Nani they would be doing very well. But with Monaco splashing cash everywhere it could rise by a few million.

Navas is a bargain at 20-25m. Terrific winger and great work rate. Can even play right back when needed.... He'll definitely need to work on his strength though if he arrives but when you look at him and Silva, there isn't too much of a difference and Silva definitely hasn't suffered by any means.

Coming off the worst season of his career and is nearly 28 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Coming off the worst season of his career and is nearly 28 though.

Anyone that's watched Navas play regularly will know he can justify his price tag. I've always liked him as a player, Sevilla in general had a poor season, I've no doubt he will shine with a new setup + better team.

Montroseee wrote: »
    Anyone that's watched Navas play regularly will know he can justify his price tag. I've always liked him as a player, Sevilla in general had a poor season, I've no doubt he will shine with a new setup + better team.

If by justify his price tag you mean do well for City and have eejits saying "he was worth every penny, proved the haterz etc." Then yes he could do well.

But £17-24m for a home-sick-prone 27 year old Navas remains terrible value. I've watched him regularly and he is good, but there are plenty more like him knocking around Europe and plenty of them will be younger and without the psychological baggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Neymar cost barca 57 mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Could those buy back clauses be potentially abused where a players resale value has increased above that specified in the clause?

The 3 club rule only applies where the player has actually played for 2 clubs previously, right?

Not saying that is what Real are doing, just as a hypothetical situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

klose wrote: »

I'm sure Nike will have paid some of the fee too.

klose wrote: »

Not just that. Let's have a look at the intricacies of the deal:
    Barca VP Bartomeu says Barca paid €57m divided between four parties [Santos, dad, two funds], price rose due to interest from other clubs.

Bartomeu: "There were no intermediaries, agents or middle-men. It's a little difficult to explain how the €57m shared between the 4 parties"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

He's one of the most marketable sports stars on the planet. I think Barcelona will be pretty confident in recouping that money and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

He's one of the most marketable sports stars on the planet. I think Barcelona will be pretty confident in recouping that money and more.

In fairness I agree with you there he is huge in Brazil but I'm not sure if Barca will get a huge % of his jersey sales.

In fairness I agree with you there he is huge in Brazil but I'm not sure if Barca will get a huge % of his jersey sales.

There's no telling what the intricacies of his contract are. But between jerseys, advertising and the global appeal of Neymar coming to Barcelona thus attracting more fans from different countries I'd say he is more than worth his weight in gold off the pitch aswell as on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

There's no telling what the intricacies of his contract are. But between jerseys, advertising and the global appeal of Neymar coming to Barcelona thus attracting more fans from different countries I'd say he is more than worth his weight in gold off the pitch aswell as on it.

What he does on the pitch will be what judges him good value for money or not. In fairness his 'global appeal' will only show if he plays great with Barca.

Corholio wrote: »
    What he does on the pitch will be what judges him good value for money or not. In fairness his 'global appeal' will only show if he plays great with Barca.

Nobody is doubting that from a sporting perspective he will be judged by his contribution on the pitch. Though value wise it will be both on and off the pitch and right now he is one of the most marketable sports stars on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Neymar has signed his image rights with Doyen Global, a sports investment group headed up by David Beckham's publicist, Simon Oliveira to build his profile in Asia.

Nobody is doubting that from a sporting perspective he will be judged by his contribution on the pitch. Though value wise it will be both on and off the pitch and right now he is one of the most marketable sports stars on the planet.

No he is not. Outside of Brazil he is a relative unknown. If he fails to impress at Barca his marketability will remain where it is or decline even further.

And even the idea that these vanity signings pay their way through marketing has very little hard evidence to support it. If we see Barca getting huge sponsorship deals in or from Brazil in the next few years then you could make that argument, but right now it is wishful thinking.

swoody wrote: »
    Neymar has signed his image rights with Doyen Global, a sports investment group headed up by David Beckham's publicist, Simon Oliveira to build his profile in Asia.

So Barca don't even have his image rights. Andersonisgod's wishful thinking takes its first hit.

"It fits the ranking given to him by SportsPro magazine, as the most marketable athlete in the world. "

A quote from the following article

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2333787/Neymar-Profile-latest-Brazilian--Barcelona--superstar.html#ixzz2VBLVllJj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Pro. F wrote: »
    No he is not. Outside of Brazil he is a relative unknown. If he fails to impress at Barca his marketability will remain where it is or decline even further.

And even the idea that these vanity signings pay their way through marketing has very little hard evidence to support it. If we see Barca getting huge sponsorship deals in or from Brazil in the next few years then you could make that argument, but right now it is wishful thinking.

No.

There were more than 60,000 people at the stadium today, waiting for about 40mins for him to appear on the pitch for just about 10 mins. Almost as high as Ibrahimovic... higher than both Cesc & Villa. I'd say hes pretty well known..

miralize wrote: »
    No.

There were more than 60,000 people at the stadium today, waiting for about 40mins for him to appear on the pitch for just about 10 mins. Almost as high as Ibrahimovic... higher than both Cesc & Villa. I'd say hes pretty well known..

He is well known due to a lot of hype gathered by the high price transfer and rumours for a few years now, he arrives already a well oiled pr machine with Nike pushing him all the way.

From a footballing point of view not a lot have seen him regularly play. The fanfare behind him could die quickly if he doesn't settle quickly and adjust to the added pressure of playing for Barca at a higher standard of football than he is used to.

"It fits the ranking given to him by SportsPro magazine, as the most marketable athlete in the world. "

A quote from the following article

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2333787/Neymar-Profile-latest-Brazilian--Barcelona--superstar.html#ixzz2VBLVllJj

The Mail is completely useless as a source, so I googled "sporstpro + Neymar" and got the original article. What they have actually ranked is his "marketing potential over the next three years," they're counting how they expect his fame to grow, that's not what I would understand as being the "most marketable right now". Right now I think it stands to reason that Messi and Ronaldo are more marketable.
    No.

Relative unknown was a poor description, fair enough. But still, all most people outside of Brazil have seen of him is highlight videos. How many full games have those 60,000 seen him play? Not many I would think. His potential marketability will mean fúck all if he doesn't play well and win things at Barca.

He is well known due to a lot of hype gathered by the high price transfer and rumours for a few years now, he arrives already a well oiled pr machine with Nike pushing him all the way.

From a footballing point of view not a lot have seen him regularly play. The fanfare behind him could die quickly if he doesn't settle quickly and adjust to the added pressure of playing for Barca at a higher standard of football than he is used to.

He's arrived a 21 year old from Brazil, with an incredible goal scoring record at Santos, having been named South American player of the year 2011 and 2012, hailed by Pele as the greatest talent on the planet and the rightful heir to Pele's throne, carrying the weight of a great, expectant nation on his shoulders, the most pressure any Brazilian footballer has been under in 50 years, he arrives at the Camp Nou expected to rejuvenate one of the greatest teams the world has ever seen that has become somewhat predictable, he arrives prepared to learn and improve and live up to what is expected of him, he arrives as one of the greatest talents in world football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I think what Andersonisgod is trying to say, not so succinctly :P, is that yes there is some risk involved with him coming to us, but he has the personality to grow into his role at the club.

He's arrived a 21 year old from Brazil, with an incredible goal scoring record at Santos, having been named South American player of the year 2011 and 2012, hailed by Pele as the greatest talent on the planet and the rightful heir to Pele's throne, carrying the weight of a great, expectant nation on his shoulders, the most pressure any Brazilian footballer has been under in 50 years, he arrives at the Camp Nou expected to rejuvenate one of the greatest teams the world has ever seen that has become somewhat predictable, he arrives prepared to learn and improve and live up to what is expected of him, he arrives as one of the greatest talents in world football.

I already knew how funny your desperate Barca bullshít is, but this time I especially liked the way you held up Pele's endorsement of a player as if it's relevant to a football discussion.

I think what Andersonisgod is trying to say, not so succinctly :P, is that yes there is some risk involved with him coming to us, but he has the personality to grow into his role at the club.

Ye, what he said.

hailed by Pele as the greatest talent on the planet .

LOL not like Pele to make outlandishly retarded claims about a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Neymar has an awful lot to prove coming out of Brazil with that price tag

That's all well and good but let be honest South American football is not of the same standard of it's European counterparts so winning this and that in south America don't mean the world, Pele is always full of crap to be honest the most pressure any Brazillian footballer has been in 50 years relax on the hype machine there ;). Yes he does arrive reportedly full of talent and he well and truly could go on to be this world beater that he is being hyped up to be, but it's far from a certainty for every success story in football there is a story of wasted talent,as of now no one knows so people acting like he is going to be this messiah is a bit premature.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I already knew how funny your desperate Barca bullshít is, but this time I especially liked the way you held up Pele's endorsement of a player as if it's relevant to a football discussion.

Point out what part isn't true. He is a two time South American footballer of the year, he has led Santos to the Copa Libertadores and has a wonderful goal scoring record during his time at the club. He does carry the weight of the most successful nation in football history on his shoulders. He does arrive at Barcelona to give them something different, to spark the forward line back into life, to assist Messi in scoring goals. He does arrive, hailed as one of the best young talents on the planet, and rightly so.

Point out what part isn't true. He is a two time South American footballer of the year, he has led Santos to the Copa Libertadores and has a wonderful goal scoring record during his time at the club. He does carry the weight of the most successful nation in football history on his shoulders. He does arrive at Barcelona to give them something different, to spark the forward line back into life, to assist Messi in scoring goals. He does arrive, hailed as one of the best young talents on the planet, and rightly so.

Each of the facts, except for the last one, is true. The relevance of those facts to the discussion and the silly, heroic poetic style you deliver them in was what I was laughing at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Have to laugh at the suggestion that Neymar is under more pressure than Ronaldo was at France 98. I wouldn't even say he has as much expectation asdRonaldinho in 06 or Romario in 94

• Advertisement

'In 1999, at only 15 years of age, Robinho was personally picked by Brazil legend Pelé as his heir apparent[3] and went on to lead Santos FC to their first Campeonato Brasileiro title since Pelé himself played for the club'.

Advertisement