Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

I personally think Neymar will go the way of Robinho and Pato, we will have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He's arrived a 21 year old from Brazil, with an incredible goal scoring record at Santos, having been named South American player of the year 2011 and 2012, hailed by Pele as the greatest talent on the planet and the rightful heir to Pele's throne, carrying the weight of a great, expectant nation on his shoulders, the most pressure any Brazilian footballer has been under in 50 years, he arrives at the Camp Nou expected to rejuvenate one of the greatest teams the world has ever seen that has become somewhat predictable, he arrives prepared to learn and improve and live up to what is expected of him, he arrives as one of the greatest talents in world football.

All very nice and whimsical alright.....

Couple of points, he is the best player in Brail, quite easily, which is why he should have left at the very least last year as he stalled a lot this year. Hopefully he will continue to fulfil the early promise with better training and competition.

Hailed as Pele as the greatest means sweet **** all to be honest, he has proved time and time again he is full of waffle, great player, sound bites not so much.

I would argue that he is not under any more pressure then was put on Ronaldo also, in fact I would strongly argue that Ronaldo was put under immense pressure and expectation by the media and fans of his country. (and the rest)

You are simply speculating that he is arriving ready and willing to learn etc, you have no idea what attitude he will have, his attitude is his major black mark against him for me (someone has watched him play a lot over the last few years) but hopefully he knuckles down and sorts it out.

He is one of the biggest potential talents in world football, but to claim he is anything more then that right now is a little tough.

I am a Neymar fan, I am amazed at how much he has gone for but I am a fan and hope he pushes on again and becomes the player he should be. Succeeding at sport is far more mental then physical at the top level and I hope he improves the mental aspect of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Pro. F wrote: »
    Each of the facts, except for the last one, is true. The relevance of those facts to the discussion and the silly, heroic poetic style you deliver them in was what I was laughing at.

Odd, I particularly enjoyed this one

"No he is not. Outside of Brazil he is a relative unknown."

Which is a pretty farcical statement. Good luck finding many players under 22 with more potential and quality than Neymar.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Have to laugh at the suggestion that Neymar is under more pressure than Ronaldo was at France 98. I wouldn't even say he has as much expectation asdRonaldinho in 06 or Romario in 94

Brazil, hosting the World Cup for the first time since 1950. The sheer pressure of living up to expectations in their own country is massive.

kryogen wrote: »
    All very nice and whimsical alright.....

Couple of points, he is the best player in Brail, quite easily, which is why he should have left at the very least last year as he stalled a lot this year. Hopefully he will continue to fulfil the early promise with better training and competition.

Hailed as Pele as the greatest means sweet **** all to be honest, he has proved time and time again he is full of waffle, great player, sound bites not so much.

I would argue that he is not under any more pressure then was put on Ronaldo also, in fact I would strongly argue that Ronaldo was put under immense pressure and expectation by the media and fans of his country. (and the rest)

You are simply speculating that he is arriving ready and willing to learn etc, you have no idea what attitude he will have, his attitude is his major black mark against him for me (someone has watched him play a lot over the last few years) but hopefully he knuckles down and sorts it out.

He is one of the biggest potential talents in world football, but to claim he is anything more then that right now is a little tough.

I am a Neymar fan, I am amazed at how much he has gone for but I am a fan and hope he pushes on again and becomes the player he should be. Succeeding at sport is far more mental then physical at the top level and I hope he improves the mental aspect of his game.

I'm here purely for the nice and whimsical stuff:cool:

I agree that he perhaps could have moved last summer but he's here now and he is only 21 with plenty of time to develop.

Ok so Pele might not be the best person to make a prediction, that being said his performances for Santos do rightly lead to comparisons with Pele.

I'd disagree, purely because this World Cup will occur in Brazil.

I am sure he is willing to learn. Reportedly one of the reasons for this transfer happening a season earlier than planned is because Neymar wants to learn and develop as a player so he can perform better for Brazil at the World Cup. You listen to his excitement at the prospect of playing with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi and I have no doubt he wants to learn.

I think he has it all, a breathtaking talent, the likes of which are rarely seen. I think he has also gone to the best club to develop that talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Odd, I particularly enjoyed this one

"No he is not. Outside of Brazil he is a relative unknown."

Which is a pretty farcical statement. Good luck finding many players under 22 with more potential and quality than Neymar.

Compared to the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Ibra, etc, etc, who have made very big splashes in the biggest leagues and cup competitions in the world Neymar is far far less well known. Most football fans around the world haven't even seen him playing that much.

As I said to Miralize, ''relatively unknown'' was a poor description. I should have said ''a player who, outside of Brazil, relatively few fans have seen playing'' or something.

That was a mistake on my part. You on the other hand are posting your fanboy eulogies on purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Neymar looks too greedy to be a Barcelona player. Maybe the Barca coaches can train that out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Neymar looks too greedy to be a Barcelona player. Maybe the Barca coaches can train that out of him.

I hope the dont to a degree. We've already stifled Sanchez, Cesc, & Masch into players & positions that they're not comfortable in. Obviously he needs to be more aware that there are other match winners in the team, but I dont want them to remove the things that made him exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

miralize wrote: »
    I hope the dont to a degree. We've already stifled Sanchez, Cesc, & Masch into players & positions that they're not comfortable in. Obviously he needs to be more aware that there are other match winners in the team, but I dont want them to remove the things that made him exciting.

What position will he play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

What position will he play?

Wide of Messi. Perhaps in both senses of the word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

off topic

Wigan have agreed compensation with the Everton for Martinez

now back to neymar.

I'd say the left wing , which means Villa will probably leave. And Sanchez, Pedro & Tello will fight for the right wing I think.

Compared to the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Ibra, etc, etc, who have made very big splashes in the biggest leagues and cup competitions in the world Neymar is far far less well known. Most football fans around the world haven't even seen him playing that much.

As I said to Miralize, ''relatively unknown'' was a poor description. I should have said ''a player who, outside of Brazil, relatively few fans have seen playing'' or something.

That was a mistake on my part. You on the other hand are posting your fanboy eulogies on purpose.

And yet the argument was marketability and he is as, if not more, marketable than those players.

It was a terrible choice of words.

I don't mind the occasional eulogy especially when someone is so very anti something.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

swoody wrote: »
    off topic

Will be a real proving if he's as good a manager as some people claim. I have my doubts personally, but look forward to seeing how he'll do.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

And yet the argument was marketability and he is as, if not more, marketable than those players.

I don't mind the occasional eulogy especially when someone is so very anti something.

You truly believe Neymar is more marketable than Messi and Ronaldo? :eek:.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

One would imagine that everyone who wants a Barca shirt with Messi on the back has one. Ditto for Ronaldo. So right now, I'd say Neymar will sell more shirts based on the fact he's a new player at the big club...

Most average fans outside of Brazil haven't even seen him playing yet. He might have a mountain of potential to be marketed, but if he fails to impress that won't be worth anything. Messi and Ronaldo are already soccer super stars.

And I don't mind laughing at some of the silly shíte you write about Barca, so we're all happy.

Most average fans outside of Brazil haven't even seen him playing yet. He might have a mountain of potential to be marketed, but if he fails to impress that won't be worth anything. Messi and Ronaldo are already soccer super stars.

And I don't mind laughing at some of the silly shíte you write about Barca, so we're all happy.

Seriously find me 10 football fans who haven't heard of Neymar. Who are these people you know who are apparently living under a rock?

I enjoy watching the greatest team the world has ever seen play and I enjoy arguing ignorance and naysayers so yes, everything is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Hearing of the new kid on the block and actually knowing something about him are two different things

Seriously find me 10 football fans who haven't heard of Neymar. Who are these people you know who are apparently living under a rock?

• Advertisement

He has the potential to be more marketable than both apparently.

Again I honestly don't know what people you know that haven't seen him play a single game but I can say with a good degree of certainty that any of my friends who are football fans have seen him play at least once.

Again I honestly don't know what people you know that haven't seen him play a single game but I can say with a good degree of certainty that any of my friends who are football fans have seen him play at least once.

I know loads of people who would consider themselves football fans and haven't seen him beyond highlight videos. I've read a good number of posts on here of people saying as much.

I know loads of people who would consider themselves football fans and haven't seen him beyond highlight videos. I've read a good number of posts on here of people saying as much.

Then the mind really does boggle. People have had ample opportunity to see him play, if not for Santos then for Brazil. Either way they at least know his name, I'd say he is pretty close to being a household name.

Then the mind really does boggle. People have had ample opportunity to see him play, if not for Santos then for Brazil. Either way they at least know his name, I'd say he is pretty close to being a household name.

What are we arguing about again?

What are we arguing about again?

Something about Neymar and how many people are aware of his ever-changing hairstyle. Honestly it's tough to keep up, I'm not even sure if I'm arguing about David Luiz in this thread or a different one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I'd say he is pretty close to being a household name.

Are you still talking about Neymar:confused:

If so, he's definitely not. People just think he is Rufio from Hook.

One would imagine that everyone who wants a Barca shirt with Messi on the back has one. Ditto for Ronaldo. So right now, I'd say Neymar will sell more shirts based on the fact he's a new player at the big club...

Yes initial shirt sales maybe but there a lot more to marketing a player than shirt sales alone, you put a line up of Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar together and ask people who them three are I'd put money on quite a large percentage of them knowing Ronaldo and Messi and a lot going huh at Neymar.

Again even at seeing him once anyone who claims to have seen enough of him to proclaim him the great promise is talking out of there arse. Most people have seen highlight reels and and the odd game at most.

He will be under immense pressure starting can he handle that, will he live up to the hype, will people have the patience with him shall he not get off to a shining start. It's way to early to be proclaiming him a world beater as you seem to be. He may well be but he is just as likely to be another Robinho at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

off topic

now back to neymar.
    Not according to Everton

"Everton statement on the managerial position.

In response to regrettable and somewhat premature reports earlier this evening, Everton Football Club are continuing discussions with regards to the vacant managerial position.

Whilst positive moves are being made, the Club will officially announce details as and only when they are agreed and completed."

http://evertonfc.com/news/archive/2013/06/03/everton-statement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Navas to Manchester City has been confirmed on Sevilla's website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

imagine if Dave Whelan made Harry Redknapp his next manager. They could have their own SSN channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Really dodgy to sign a player that has extreme home sickness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭klose

Navas to Manchester City has been confirmed on Sevilla's website.

A deal in principle....

Should be interesting to see how it works out for him here, his eyes are deadly :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He's arrived a 21 year old from Brazil, with an incredible goal scoring record at Santos, having been named South American player of the year 2011 and 2012, hailed by Pele as the greatest talent on the planet and the rightful heir to Pele's throne, carrying the weight of a great, expectant nation on his shoulders, the most pressure any Brazilian footballer has been under in 50 years, he arrives at the Camp Nou expected to rejuvenate one of the greatest teams the world has ever seen that has become somewhat predictable, he arrives prepared to learn and improve and live up to what is expected of him, he arrives as one of the greatest talents in world football.

Why do you post like your narrating an uplifting sports documentary with violins playing in the back?

Corholio wrote: »
    Why do you post like your narrating an uplifting sports documentary with violins playing in the back?

Or Neymar's story, a boy from Brazil living his dream of emulating Brazil's greatest ever player, Pele, playing for Santos and bringing back the glory years, the great hope of the greatest nation in football and now joining the best club in the world where he will play alongside legends Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. My post is uplifting because his story is an uplifting one.

• Advertisement

Or Neymar's story, a boy from Brazil living his dream of emulating Brazil's greatest ever player, Pele, playing for Santos and bringing back the glory years, the great hope of the greatest nation in football and now joining the best club in the world where he will play alongside legends Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. My post is uplifting because his story is an uplifting one.

It really is like reading the script for a cheesy sports documentary, ESPN Classics or something

miralize wrote: »
    It really is like reading the script for a cheesy sports documentary, ESPN Classics or something

Right we aren't going to be having that, ESPN Classics is undoubtedly one of the best channels in all of television and it is nothing short of a travesty that it will soon be taken away.

Right we aren't going to be having that, ESPN Classics is undoubtedly one of the best channels in all of television and it is nothing short of a travesty that it will soon be taken away.

While were on the subject does anyone know what the craic is with BT? Will we be receiving that free with Sky Sports as you do with ESPN or will it be a seperate subscription?

While were on the subject does anyone know what the craic is with BT? Will we be receiving that free with Sky Sports as you do with ESPN or will it be a seperate subscription?

As far as I know it's a separate subscription. It is free if you have broadband with BT. It is expected to be run in Ireland a lot like Setanta is right now, so ye we have to pay for it. Massive shame, ESPN was great, free, with lots of foreign leagues, the occasional friendly games and UFC and of course ESPN Classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Is ESPN gone?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

According to this nothing in place so far for Ireland, but they are confident it will be available before the season starts.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/bt-in-talks-to-put-sports-channels-on-sky-and-upc-1.1389347

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Is ESPN gone?

The channels will be slowly fazed out. I think they finish up in July or August, so they definitely wont be showing any Premier League games next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Manuel Francisco dos Santos aka Garrincha was and will always be Brazil's greatest player not Pele

Manuel Francisco dos Santos aka Garrincha was and will always be Brazil's greatest player not Pele

Right that's a different topic for a different thread so I wont debate that one.

5starpool wrote: »
    According to this nothing in place so far for Ireland, but they are confident it will be available before the season starts.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/bt-in-talks-to-put-sports-channels-on-sky-and-upc-1.1389347

It's be great if it works out like ESPN (free if you have Sky Sports) but I think most people expect it to work out like Setanta (another paid subscription, on top of having to pay for Sky Sports too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sunderland have a meeting on Wednesday with Ignacio Scocco's representatives.

I'd imagine wages would be tricky with this one considering he's an Al-Ain player, and he'll surely have interest from elsewhere.

30 goals in 40 games on loan at Newell's this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

O/T BT info

It'll be on Sky, no doubt about it. It won't be like with ESPN where it comes as part of the Sky Sports package, it'll be like Setanta where you buy it through them, not through Sky.

I also was very disappointed to hear about the closure of ESPN's Europe/MENA operations. ESPN Classic was, well, class. ESPN America will also be going from around Europe AFAIK.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's be great if it works out like ESPN (free if you have Sky Sports) but I think most people expect it to work out like Setanta (another paid subscription, on top of having to pay for Sky Sports too)

I won't be subscribing anyhow.

5starpool wrote: »
    I won't be subscribing anyhow.

I don't think I will either, though it's a shame because next season has the potential to be the best season in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

But you post like that with everything, anytime anyone says anything about Barcelona, you unleash a spiel that almost has to be put with footage in slow motion. He's quite a bit to go to even reach Ronaldos level, nevermind talking about Pele. There's been about 100 'new Peles'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement