Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I get jokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

G.K. wrote: »
    I think it's supposed to be a joke regarding the similarity of the spelling of Negredo to another word which referrs to the colour of people's skin.

Thanks
    Bad joke though. If anything, it'll be Terry breathing a sight of relief, given that it's a London club who were in for him.

:(

No you're right, it was pretty ****e. I had actually pressed delete but then cancelled because I thought a mod might read my deleted post and steal my 'excellent' joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

G.K. wrote: »
    I think it's supposed to be a joke regarding the similarity of the spelling of Negredo to another word which referrs to the colour of people's skin.

Bad joke though. If anything, it'll be Terry breathing a sight of relief, given that it's a London club who were in for him. ;P

Wait, no. I actually meant the similarity to negrito, not negro. So it wouldn't really make sense to apply it to Terry.

I'll stop flogging this dead horse now.

"When jokes go wrong"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

SoulTrader wrote: »
    Wait, no. I actually meant the similarity to negrito, not negro. So it wouldn't really make sense to apply it to Terry.

I'll stop flogging this dead horse now.

Probably for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Jeremy Toulalon
    Malaga
    >Atletico Madrid
    €5M

Latest rumour. Possible given the strife at Malaga but do Atletico need him? Gabi, Mario Suarez, Raul Garcia there already.

Mkhitaryan quoted on Shakhtar's website saying that he'd "do anything to move to a different club in the summer transfer window now." as well apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Jeremy Toulalon
    Malaga
    >Atletico Madrid
    €5M

Latest rumour. Possible given the strife at Malaga but do Atletico need him? Gabi, Mario Suarez, Raul Garcia there already.

Apparently this is a cert to happen. I think it would be a very good move for Atleti, Toulalan is a better and more organised defensive mid than Gabi or Mario Suarez, and Raul Garcia generally plays a bit further up the pitch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Shakhtar have paid an initial €15M potentially rising to €20M between them. I don't know if Lucas Fernando is a deep or attacking midfielder yet. Potentially a replacement for either Fernandinho or Mkhitaryan.

Fernando is a defensive midfielder. Decent prospect if a bit overrated by some. Not really troubling the likes of Gustavo, Paulinho and Lucas for a Brazil place anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Shakhtar signing Fernando is the biggest statement yet that Fernandinho is on his way out, City the most likely destination at the moment which suits me.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Assumed someone had post this already.

Re: Fernandinho
    Fernandinho gets his wish and joins Manchester City from Shakhtar Donetsk

A day after Seville announced a deal to sell Spanish winger Jesús Navas to City in a deal that could rise to £22million, the English club are close to confirming another eye-catching acquisition.

City tracked Shakhtar Donetsk Fernandinho all season and the 28-year-old had made it clear he wished to move to the Etihad to improve his chances of breaking into Brazil’s World Cup squad.

His club inserted a buy-out clause of £42.5million, which was £15million above City’s initial valuation, but it is understood negotiations have significantly progressed and a compromise has been reached to allow Fernandinho to become the latest player to join the Manuel Pellegrini era before the manager is even in place.

Fernandinho caught the eye for the Ukrainians in the Champions League — he scored against Chelsea in the group stages — and has been outspoken in his desire for the move to be completed. Earlier this month he suggested Shakhtar were asking for too much money for his services and feared the buy-out clause would prove an obstacle.

“The day I signed, the club’s director guaranteed me that was normal with his players, and that in a transfer, we could negotiate and reach an agreement on the price,” he said. “I trusted them, and I didn’t think about the consequences it would bring me in the future. My dream is being threatened because of the high valuation.”

That issue would now appear resolved, with Shakhtar having prepared for the loss of Fernandinho and Liverpool target Henrikh ­Mkhitaryan by signing two Brazil internationals: Wellington Nem of Fluminense, and Fernando of Gremio for a combined £18million.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/10099535/Fernandinho-gets-his-wish-and-joins-Manchester-City-from-Shakhtar-Donetsk.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mkhitaryan is on around £15k a week, that's why he's so desperate to leave Shakhtar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

More Ronaldo back to United talk.

£65 million plus a player,Nani anyone?

While I would love to see him return,I really would be shocked if it happened.

Sign him along with Fellaini.

/drool

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No way they'll want Nani. I'd say they'd want the money to go after Bale and another striker.

If Rooney goes, his transfer should cover about half of Ronaldo. Nani can cover another chunk. If he does come back, that new home shirt will be getting ordered rather promptly though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Necronos wrote: »
    More Ronaldo back to United talk.

£65 million plus a player,Nani anyone?

While I would love to see him return,I really would be shocked if it happened.

Sign him along with Fellaini.

/drool
    I think the only player from United they would look to take is Hernandez - the have a big American/South American following and signing Hernandez would be a gold mine to them, along with the fact he would be a very good signing from a footballing point of view if Higuain and Ronaldo are leaving.

From the United/Hernandez side it would make sense too really. Ronaldo would need to be considered an attacker, if signed, not a winger - so Hernandez would be down the pecking order (either again or more so depending on Rooney) so I could see Hernandez looking to move on if we sign another striker (or player used in a similar role) as I have heard he was already unhappy with the game time he got last season. With Ronaldo and RVP at United that wouldn't improve, even if Rooney was sold.

I don't think United would be actively looking to move Hernandez on, but it could be the way things go if they are serious about signing Ronaldo.

Would leave us possibly needing to sign another striker - either someone young or in the latter stages of their career - to augment a front line selection of Ronaldo, RVP, Welbeck and Henriquez. No idea who that would be - but reckon we could do with a Larsson type signing, at least, if this were to happen.

One of the few reasons I think signing Ronaldo just won't happen - on top of needing to sign a midfielder or two, add possibly needing to sign a (cheap) striker) and I just don't see where we are going to get the 100+million to fund all this. Nani, Rooney, Anderson out? 50-60million maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

There's is no way on gods green earth that Ronaldo is going to re-sign for Utd.
    If it was a one in a million shot before Ferguson left, it's a one in a billion shot under Moyes.
    Why anyone would waste a seconds thought thinking/typing about it is beyond me.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    If it was a one in a million shot before Ferguson left, it's a one in a billion shot under Moyes.

Because I am absolutely certain United have been talking to Ronaldo about it for quite some time now, and have not given up hope of securing a deal they felt confident on prior to Fergie retiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just like 90% speculation. Least Ronaldo loves United.

But continue away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ronaldo is pushing for a new contract at Real, thats the only reason there is talk of him returning to United. He wanted to return to Fergie, but he won't return to Moyes.

Ronaldo loves Utd no more so than any player loves a former club they've played for. Don't be so naieve. Let's remember how desperately hard he pushed for his move away from Utd for a couple of years. And no, it's not like 90% of speculation. Most speculation has an element of realism attached to it, in order to at least make it believable. The Ronaldo thing is off the wall though, you may as well be saying you might get Messi, it's actually probably more likely.

Honestly Mitch, I know you actually think there's something to this, but it would not make any sense. Ronaldo is definitely not going back to Utd, if you would like to put a rather huge bet on it, I would be very happy to do so.
    Quazzie wrote: »
    Ronaldo is pushing for a new contract at Real, thats the only reason there is talk of him returning to United. He wanted to return to Fergie, but he won't return to Moyes.

Is there talk? The Sun, The Daily Mail, a load of Utd fan blogs? That's all I've gathered there is.

Honestly, as I said whatever absolutely minuscule chance there was of him ever going back to Utd with Ferguson there has absolutely vanished now that David Moyes is at the helm. You think Ronaldo has a burning desire to work with Moyes. Come on now! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Just like 90% speculation. Least Ronaldo loves United.

But continue away.

He loves money alot more

Quazzie wrote: »

Pretty much agree. It's longshot.

But plenty other speculation won't come through either.

Least there is possisbilty with Ronaldo/United all be it small.

Honestly Mitch, I know you actually think there's something to this, but it would not make any sense. Ronaldo is definitely not going back to Utd, if you would like to put a rather huge bet on it, I would be very happy to do so.

So, your logic is that if it doesn't happen there was never any chance of it happening then?

Bollix to that.

In that case you would have to say United were never, ever, close to signing Sneijder, Robben, Shearer, Hazard etc - they didn't sign for United so clearly it was never ever going to happen.

I've not said United WILL sign Ronaldo. I am simply saying United have been talking to Ronaldo and his reps about bringing him back to United, and that Ronaldo has seemingly made it known that he is very open to going back to United. The money involved, and the lack of Fergie, mean it is not going to be a simple transfer if it does happen - but I am absolutely certain United are seriously looking at it.

Least there is possisbilty with Ronaldo/United all be it small.

You're using the word "possibility" quite loosely....there's a "possibility" I may score Scarlett Johansson. However, if I went around talking about it a good bit as if it were a genuine possibility & I thought it really might happen, people would think I was a lunatic. Rightly so.

It's similar here :p

I am simply saying United have been talking to Ronaldo and his reps about bringing him back to United, and that Ronaldo has seemingly made it known that he is very open to going back to United. The money involved, and the lack of Fergie, mean it is not going to be a simple transfer if it does happen - but I am absolutely certain United are seriously looking at it.

Provide proof of ANY of the above please.

Thanks in advance.

You're using the word "possibility" quite loosely....there's a "possibility" I may score Scarlett Johansson. However, if I went around talking about it a good bit as if it were a genuine possibility & I thought it really might happen, people would think I was a lunatic. Rightly so.

It's similar here :p

Chalk and cheese.

There has been interest from United to sign him back. I know that to be 100% true.

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    He loves money alot more

Who does not???

Provide proof of ANY of the above please.

Thanks in advance.

You won't accept any proof I could offer, because I don't have concrete proof.

All the United fanzines have stated what I have said.

Andy Mitten has stated what I have said.

A journo I am friends with has stated what I have said.

United are very serious about Ronaldo, and believe he is open to the move. Maybe Ronaldo has simply been lying to United over the past 3 months or so and has no intention of resigning for United - but United have been talking to him and do believe it could be done.

EDIT: Also - even if he doesn't move to United - it would not be proof that you are right and I am wrong. Many clubs are interested in many players and don't always sign them, and not always because the player in question has no interest at all.

Chalk and cheese.

There has been interest from United to sign him back. I know that to be 100% true.

Proof please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There are obviously serious hurdles to seeing Ronaldo back at Utd but it's possible.

Proof please.

Lol proof?

Will I drag my uncle over in boat from Manchester lol.

Dear god!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ronaldo loves Utd no more so than any player loves a former club they've played for. Don't be so naieve. Let's remember how desperately hard he pushed for his move away from Utd for a couple of years.

On this, it's mad how many people completely turn a blind eye to this. Ronaldo bizarrely agreed wholeheartedly with Sepp Blatter that he was being treated like a slave when United refused to sell him to Madrid a year after signing a 100K a week contract.

Now, my opinion is that people who give out about players moving to increase their wages are under several large misapprehensions to put it mildly, but the double standard people have when it comes to Ronaldo is mad.

The thing about him loving United is laughably overblown when put in the context of agitations to leave the club that make Rooney look mild.

You won't accept any proof I could offer, because I don't have concrete proof.

All the United fanzines have stated what I have said.

Andy Mitten has stated what I have said.

A journo I am friends with has stated what I have said.

Oh my god.

Are you for real? :confused: :eek:

Utd fanzines? Andy Mitten? and a journo you're friends with?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I don't think United would be readying an offer without being serious and in contact with the player before hand.

Real came out and said they want Ronaldo to retire there but I think if Ronaldo really wanted to be there, he'd have signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

HAve to say that City signing Navas is a huge risk for the fee involved (supposedly £17m).

Considering all his problems with homesickness and anxiety attacks, there's a real chance he'll fail to adapt to life in England. He's 27 so there's not going to be much sell-on value there. Will he be able to deal with the pressure of playing for City?

I also read a stat a few days ago that he had the most shots (something like 80 shots) without scoring a single league goal across all of Europe's big leagues.

Seems like a risky purchase to me and I wouldn't be surprised if City end up loaning him back to Sevilla or maybe selling back for half the price at the end of the season.

Lol proof?

Will I drag my uncle over in boat from Manchester lol.

Dear god!!!

Is your uncle Ronaldo?

Is he brokering the potential deal?

Or does he live in Manchester and as such you feel, in a city of half a million people, he happens to "know" what's really going on?! :p

You lads are in top form today, keep it up :pac::pac::pac:

Oh my god.

Are you for real? :confused: :eek:

Utd fanzines? Andy Mitten? and a journo you're friends with?

:pac:
    You know what al, go fook yourself.

Why don't you just block this thread completely as nothing written in here apart from official club statements are going to do for you, are they?

Journo, club sources, speculative articles - none will be considered by you to be an indication there is truth to United looking to buy Ronaldo - nothing apart from United actually signing Ronaldo will do for you.

Go fook myself because I don't believe that Utd fanzines saying something means it's definitely true!? Come on now.

Speculative articles should be an indication of truth? Listen to yourself man!

What are the club sources by the way?

Go fook myself because I don't believe that Utd fanzines saying something means it's definitely true!? Come on now.

So all the papers that have spoken of United's interest are BSing.

So all the fanzines are BSing.

Andy Mitten is BSing.

My journo mate is BSing.

Everyone is BSing because YOU don't think United could sign Ronaldo and therefore United aren't showing any interest in the deal, at all - they aren't even considering it.

Yes, go fook yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Alan, it's on sky sports news about a SPECULATIVE deal for 65gbp + a player. Good enough?

Alan, it's on sky sports news about a SPECULATIVE deal for 65gbp + a player. Good enough?

No. Clearly not. They don't have anything on their site for what it's worth.
    So all the papers that have spoken of United's interest are BSing.

So all the fanzines are BSing.

Andy Mitten is BSing.

My journo mate is BSing.

Everyone is BSing because YOU don't think United could sign Ronaldo and therefore United aren't showing any interest in the deal, at all - they aren't even considering it.

Yes, go fook yourself.

What papers just out of curiousity, can you link up these solid articles?

An yes, fanzines = BS
    Mitten = BS
    Your journo mate = BS

Everyone is BSing because Ronaldo was clearly dying to get out of Utd to Real Madrid. Since he has his stock has risen further. The deal to bring him would never in a million years happen. He wouldn't want it to. Real wouldn't want it to. And Utd wouldn't want it to at the value it would take to make Real consider it. Never going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Not saying there isn't interest, but some story being mentioned on Sky Sports News isn't the be all to end all. They've mentioned a whole load of crap before, even mentioning stories from Twitter that's gathered momentum from anyone seemingly and passing it off as their own at times.

Sky Sports sources understands...

They do it all the time, they basically want to hook gullible fools in so they mention the rumours that have people all excited on twitter.

Honestly, I expected better from the two posters involved. The heart obviously rules the head though!

No. Clearly not. They don't have anything on their site for what it's worth.

What papers just out of curiousity, can you link up these solid articles?

An yes, fanzines = BS
    Mitten = BS
    Your journo mate = BS

Everyone is BSing because Ronaldo was clearly dying to get out of Utd to Real Madrid. Since he has his stock has risen further. The deal to bring him would never in a million years happen. He wouldn't want it to. Real wouldn't want it to. And Utd wouldn't want it to at the value it would take to make Real consider it. Never going to happen.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4955523/Manchester-United-step-up-bid-to-sign-Cristiano-Ronaldo.html

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-united-transfer-targets-fabregas-modric-and-ronaldo-in-the-mix-for-moyes-29319551.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2335972/Jose-Mourinho-fires-parting-shot-Cristiano-Ronaldo-Real-Madrid-winger-plans-follow-Portuguese-coach-out.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2252412/Cristiano-Ronaldo-wants-rejoin-Manchester-United.html

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/207844.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-call-chevrolet-fund-1753862

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfers-alex-ferguson-1869901

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Billion to 1 shot? You offering those kind of odds? Seriously now what kind of odds are you willing to lay down on this if you're so sure?

It's unlikely yes, but billion to 1, million to 1? Are you for real? There's probably only 2-3 clubs he could realistically go to if he wants out and don't kid yourself United are one of them.

None of us really think this is going to happen but there's at least a decent shout of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United is where Ronaldo won the Ballon d'Or, despite his record in RM he is always overlooked in favour of Messi in Spain.
    It was reported when RM played United that at old Trafford and Ronaldo went to the United dressing room to chat with the Unted players that he also went and went for a chat with the Glazers, which indicates they all still get on well.
    Ronaldo had more success at United than RM, plus Ferguson will still be at the club, thankfully he hasn't died.

I don't know if true but the relationship beteen RM president Perez and Ronaldo is not said to be the best, just as it isn't between Ronaldo and Mourinho.

I think Ronaldo if not back for the upcoming season, will be back the following season. He has indicated he is prepared to let his RM contact runout if necessary.

The return of Ronaldo is a possibility for next season, 50/50 imo.

s.welstead wrote: »
    there's at least a decent shout of it.

There's a decent shout of him going back to Utd?

No. There's not.

:p

You people are hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

At the end of the day if Madrid give Ronaldo what he wants a fatter new contract he'll sign it and the speculation will all go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Ronaldo's next club according to PaddyPower United are the favourites at 11/10.
    To sign before September 1st at Skybet and the odds are 15/8.
    No billion to one odds.

• Advertisement

Jesus. Talk abou the dregs. Most of those articles are all based off nonsense reported in the sun of him beggin to be brought home. One of those articles says he might be going to Chelsea (despite the fact the same article is mainly about the Chelsea manager being somewhat critical of him :p), you think the Chelsea/PSG moves are on the cards too by any chance? Or is the Utd one the only one with any substance?

I think Chelsea and PSG would be very interested in Ronaldo and will make moves for him this summer, if they haven't already via reps (like United have done). As far as I have read and been told by people you think are BSing PSG have spoken the Mendes about Ronaldo (and Mourinho), and Chelsea made contact a month or two back as well, the Chelsea rumours were quite strong previously. I would imagine Monaco would make a bid as well and have made some form of contact (as they have done with Rooney, Tevez and many others they have not, yet, signed).

I'm not saying United WILL sign Ronaldo, and neither are the people/fanzines/papers. I am saying United ARE interested in signing Ronaldo and have spoken to him/his reps about it. I am also not saying United are the only team interested. I don't think it is nailed on - far from it, but I would bet a large sum of money that United have seriously looked at and discussed it over a prolonged period of time.

Just because you don't think it makes sense doesn't mean there is no chance or nothing at all is happening.

Advertisement