Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Mr Alan wrote: »
    There's a decent shout of him going back to Utd?

No. There's not.

:p

You people are hilarious!

Haven't you a newly-revealed away kit to puke all over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

RobertKK wrote: »
    Ronaldo's next club according to PaddyPower United are the favourites at 11/10.
    To sign before September 1st at Skybet and the odds are 15/8.
    No billion to one odds.

You should take Mr Alan up on his offer so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

He's not going anywhere, he's just looking for his wages to be increased higher than Messi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Ronaldo went to Madrid to join his 'boyhood' team. Why would he come back to United now? Makes little sense as he's not achieved what he's probably wanted to win at Madrid.

He can fcuk off too. I've little interest in seeing him being 'treated like a slave' again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TT09 wrote: »
    He's not going anywhere, he's just looking for his wages to be increased higher than Messi.

That may indeed be true. Good chance he stays at Madrid. I'm not saying that isn't the case, really. My opinion, based on what i have read and been told, is that United are very interested in signing him and believe one could be done for him. That is all I am really saying - that United are interested and believe it could be done. Maybe it doesn't happen, but that doesn't mean United never seriously looked at it - which is what Al is saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Ronaldo went to Madrid to join his 'boyhood' team. Why would he come back to United now? Makes little sense as he's not achieved what he's probably wanted to win at Madrid.

He can fcuk off too. I've little interest in seeing him being 'treated like a slave' again.

Forgot about this :D

If he had won the CL with Real already, I'd have possibly entertained the idea of him rejoining. However small a chance it would have been. Can't see it happening whatsoever now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

I think ferguson said a while back there would not be any chance of him joining back cause Madrid would want more than what United sold him for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

There's a decent shout of him going back to Utd?

No. There's not.

:p

You people are hilarious!

Nice of you to cherry pick from my post when quoting.

You people by the way? WTF does that mean???

You're digging a hole here for yourself with your billion to 1 outlandish bs. You might wish as a Liverpool fan the odds are actually that but in the real world there is a possibility of this transfer happening, however unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

s.welstead wrote: »
    You're digging a hole here for yourself with your billion to 1 outlandish bs. You might wish as a Liverpool fan the odds are actually that but in the real world there is a possibility of this transfer happening, however unlikely.

However unlikely?

In your last post you said there was a decent shot at it happening? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

However unlikely?

In your last post you said there was a decent shot at it happening? :confused:

Something being unlikely but a decent shot too difficult to comprehend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Real Madrid have shot themselves in the foot if you ask me. Even though he's scored loads of goals, paying £80 million for Ronaldo was just mind-numbingly stupid. when you add on another £40 million for wages, it looks even dumber. In the four years he's been at Real, this is all they have won.

Real Madrid
    La Liga (1): 2011–12
    Copa del Rey (1): 2010–11
    Supercopa de España (1): 2012

It looks like Real have painted themselves into the corner on this. Who will pay £80 million for Ronaldo plus £10 million a year on wages? That kind of money looks beyond Manchester United or Barcelona even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Morzadec wrote: »
    HAve to say that City signing Navas is a huge risk for the fee involved (supposedly £17m).

Considering all his problems with homesickness and anxiety attacks, there's a real chance he'll fail to adapt to life in England. He's 27 so there's not going to be much sell-on value there. Will he be able to deal with the pressure of playing for City?

I also read a stat a few days ago that he had the most shots (something like 80 shots) without scoring a single league goal across all of Europe's big leagues.

Seems like a risky purchase to me and I wouldn't be surprised if City end up loaning him back to Sevilla or maybe selling back for half the price at the end of the season.

I really hope this works out for him and I reckon it will. Rarely would I ever say that about a player signing for City. For him to even consider moving suggests he must be almost over those issues. It's like somebody having a fear of flying. Most do not even countenance getting on a plane but those that do are almost over it all or at least able to bear it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Real Madrid have shot themselves in the foot if you ask me. Even though he's scored loads of goals, paying £80 million for Ronaldo was just mind-numbingly stupid. when you add on another £40 million for wages, it looks even dumber..

Disagree. How much money have they made from merchindise sales? From coming second in all the competitions? From all the publicity of having the second best player in the world on the team. Yeah, trophy wise, it might not have paid off but that's not to say it was not 100% financially prudent to have him in the team...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Ronaldo might see he has a better opportunity to win at United, compare how many CL finals he has had at RM compared to United.
    Ronaldo knows it is down to him that United went out of the CL this year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Meh, Real have a turnover of what, half a billion a year? They can afford it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The return of Ronaldo is a possibility for next season, 50/50 imo.

Saying that it's 50/50 is absolutely bonkers. I doubt many of the posters who are saying there's a chance of it think it's even near 50/50.

Ronaldo might see he has a better opportunity to win at United, compare how many CL finals he has had at RM compared to United.
    Ronaldo knows it is down to him that United went out of the CL this year.

Real Madrid are much more likely to win a Champions League in the next 3 years than United.

Ronaldo won't sign for United. I have no doubts that he has talked to United or whatever but he is most likely keeping the options open should he not get that fat contract at Madrid. United are a tool for leverage and an escape hatch if things go south.

Real Madrid are much more likely to win a Champions League in the next 3 years than United.

That's a big statement. Any reason why you think this? Bear in mind that you've said "Much more", which suggests that they're a much better team.

• Advertisement

That's a big statement. Any reason why you think this? Bear in mind that you've said "Much more", which suggests that they're a much better team.

Any of the betting sites have United at double the price of Madrid. Next year for example:

Madrid - 5/1
    United - 11/1

That's much more likely in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Nothing to support this at all tbh, when was the last time Madrid won the CL? About 10-11 years ago, when was their last final appearance?

What makes you think anything is going to dramatically change now? They have already had the best manager with an excellent CL record come through the club and didn't make it

Much more likely is a joke tbh

If United sort out the midfield they will be a very formidable team

kryogen wrote: »
    Nothing to support this at all tbh, when was the last time Madrid won the CL? About 10-11 years ago, when was their last final appearance?

What makes you think anything is going to dramatically change now? They have already had the best manager with an excellent CL record come through the club and didn't make it

Much more likely is a joke tbh

If United sort out the midfield they will be a very formidable team

Look at the odds in the post above. That's all I'm basing it on.

Any of the betting sites have United at double the price of Madrid. Next year for example:

Madrid - 5/1
    United - 11/1

Forgive me if I don't base my opinions on bookies' odds. It would have been the same last year. That's based on reputation rather than reality on the pitch. United were a better team than them last year until the ref made a bad decision\player made a stupid decision - delete as you feel appropriate. Nothing has really changed on the pitch so far. Both will have lost the best manager they've had in decades and are into a new era. You're entitled to your opinion of course, I'm just not having the bookies' odds thing. Anyway, this is OT, the United thread would probably be more suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Madrid - 5/1
    United - 11/1

You take all your opinions from betting sites, you must have some rollercoaster days while looking at skybet :)

Forgive me if I don't base my opinions on bookies' odds. It would have been the same last year. That's based on reputation rather than reality on the pitch. United were a better team than them last year until the ref made a bad decision\player made a stupid decision - delete as you feel appropriate. Nothing has really changed on the pitch so far. Both will have lost the best manager they've had in decades and are into a new era. You're entitled to your opinion of course, I'm just not having the bookies' odds thing. Anyway, this is OT, the United thread would probably be more suitable.

Yeah, fair enough. I was just responding to the initial posters assertion that Ronaldo might think he's more likely to win a Champions League at United.

I don't think Ronaldo would go to United because he thinks they're likely to be more successful. If he does go, it'd probably be for other reasons.

kryogen wrote: »
    You take all your opinions from betting sites, you must have some rollercoaster days while looking at skybet :)

Hardly. I was merely quoting the odds to counter the initial poster's view. One would assume that bookies tend to be impartial in these matters, unlike fans who are biased.

I do think Madrid are more likely to win the Champions League in the next couple of years. Maybe not twice as likely, but definitely more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Didnt United put a clause in his contract that gives them first refusal and a buy back price if Real wanted to sell him built into his contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Look at the odds in the post above. That's all I'm basing it on.

Those odds are based with Ronaldo at RM.

• Advertisement

Those odds are based with Ronaldo at RM.

That's a fair point alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Sin City wrote: »
    Dont United put a clause in his contract that gives them first refusal and a buy back price if Real wanted to sell him built into his contract?

the deal at the time, was "unconditional", hence the price. it was a straight sale, with no clauses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

the deal at the time, was "unconditional", hence the price. it was a straight sale, with no clauses.

Are you sure, as I swear I was reading that somewhere recently

Yeah, fair enough. I was just responding to the initial posters assertion that Ronaldo might think he's more likely to win a Champions League at United.

I don't think Ronaldo would go to United because he thinks they're likely to be more successful. If he does go, it'd probably be for other reasons.

I actually agree with your overall point. I doubt the draw to United for Ronaldo would be about winning way more trophies than at Real. For me, they're on a similar level when it comes to them winning their respective leagues or the CL next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

And people claim United fans are obsessed with Liverpool F.C.??
    They should be more worried about their ONE good player the right side of 30 wanting out of Anfield and not worry about our fans dreaming (in the Liverpool fans eyes) of the return of the second best player in the world too Old Trafford too the league champs (again).also all this fighting about who'll win CL first Madrid or United..?Well one thing is 100% certain Liverpool won't be winning it for a very very long time.they can't even qualify for it!

MrMac84 wrote: »
    They should be more worried about their ONE good player the right side of 30 wanting out of Anfield and not worry about our fans dreaming (in the Liverpool fans eyes) of the return of the second best player in the world too Old Trafford too the league champs (again).also all this fighting about who'll win CL first Madrid or United..?Well one thing is 100% certain Liverpool won't be winning it for a very very long time.they can't even qualify for it!
    Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Jesus christ.

I see Kewell signed for Melbourne. G'wan Harry.

I don't see how any of this is in any way relevant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Bookies know the probabilities a lot better than you do, it's their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Dear Christ... Easy to see why United fans get painted with the same brush with comments like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Dear Christ... Easy to see why United fans get painted with the same brush with comments like this.

Yes, its easy, but only if you're an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Yes, its easy, but only if you're an idiot.

Very true. Wasn't implying that's my viewpoint at all though. Was just stating that it's fuel for the fire

Back on topic: Apparently Pepe is being linked with City. I hope to god this isn't true. Regardless of him being a decent player the odd time, he's not a player needed or wanted in the EPL by any club. Despise him tbh.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Bookies know the probabilities a lot better than you do, it's their job.

And these probabilities are often skewed by the number of people willing to bet on a club despite everything suggesting that they aren't the right bet. They need to cover the book. Not a direct analogy but take a look at Liverpool's odds for every match. Massively skewed because their fans will lump money on them.

Taking bookies odds aside, do you really feel that Madrid are twice as likely to win the CL than United? Did you think that last year, as the odds would have been similar?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

And these probabilities are often skewed by the number of people willing to bet on a club despite everything suggesting that they aren't the right bet. They need to cover the book. Not a direct analogy but take a look at Liverpool's odds for every match. Massively skewed because their fans will lump money on them.

Taking bookies odds aside, do you really feel that Madrid are twice as likely to win the CL than United? Did you think that last year, as the odds would have been similar?

Very, very true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

True of course but we're not talking about Liverpool against some random EPL team that nobody supports, it's the two best supported clubs in the world. The fair price and the market price on that market is identical. The idea that Madrid have loads more people backing them than United is pretty far wrong.

The betfair price removes the idea of there being a disparity between fair price and market price by it's very nature and has the odds as 11/2 vs 13/1. The market is pretty illiquid but you get the idea.

I mean, the whole point is me saying what I think and the bookies saying what they think you should believe the bookies more than you believe me. Looking at the 180 minutes of ball they played in direct opposition to each other is only a fraction of the various factors that affect how likely either team is to win the thing.

FWIW, each and every one of the pro sports bettors I know maxed out on Madrid to win the tie against United at the odds offered, and again, they know a lot better than most of us, it's their job.

I think someone mentioned that the odds quoted assume Ronaldo stays at Madrid, by the way, that's incorrect. The odds have certainly factored in how likely Ronaldo is to leave Madrid and are actually a much better indicator of how likely he is to move than the transfer betting markets, which they deliberately manipulate.

The max bet on transfer betting is very low, so they manipulate the prices here and there to try and part small time punters from their money (e.g. shorten Ronaldo to United from 5/1 to 1/2, all the mugs lump on, free money). The Champions League market is vastly larger and therefore more dangerous to the bookmakers, so they won't prick around with the prices like that.

I would say judging by those odds, the bookies' info says he's staying so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Very true. Wasn't implying that's my viewpoint at all though. Was just stating that it's fuel for the fire

Back on topic: Apparently Pepe is being linked with City. I hope to god this isn't true. Regardless of him being a decent player the odd time, he's not a player needed or wanted in the EPL by any club. Despise him tbh.

I really hope this isn't true as well. Detestable charater that leaves whatever ability he has irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Is your uncle Ronaldo?

Is he brokering the potential deal?

Or does he live in Manchester and as such you feel, in a city of half a million people, he happens to "know" what's really going on?! :p

You lads are in top form today, keep it up :pac::pac::pac:

Yep I have posted stuff about Fabregras the Dembele offer and buttner before anything in papers.

People who know me here know who I know.

I wont be losing slept cause Mr Alan can't accept he is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

In your face Al.
    All the proof you need...

http://share.pho.to/2TwJO/original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Yep I have posted stuff about Fabregras the Dembele offer and buttner before anything in papers.

People who know me here know who I know.

I wont be losing slept cause Mr Alan can't accept he is wrong.

The stink of self importance round these parts....go on so, share, who do you know? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The stink of self importance round these parts....go on so, share, who do you know? :pac:

All I said was that United are interested in Ronaldo. They are open to signing.

It's still a long shot. You seem to think me and others said he is coming back.

We did not.

You got loads of links and still won't believe it cause your ignorent to fact you may be wrong and the arrogance is funny as hell from you.

I'm off to enjoy the sunshine ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

All I said was that United are interested in Ronaldo. They are open to signing.

It's still a long shot. You seem to think me and others said he is coming back.

We did not.

You got loads of links and still won't believe it cause your ignorent to fact you may be wrong and the arrogance is funny as hell from you.

I'm off to enjoy the sunshine ;-)

Hardly inside knowledge now to be fair. Most clubs have an "open to signing" stance about most players. That is to say, unless a club states they 100% will not sign a player, they are open to signing them. And even if they do say that, it doesn't mean it can't happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement