Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

I see Milan are being linked with Younes Belhanda, anybody know much about him? What are his strengths/weaknesses? What level of player would he be? Aston Villa, Galatasaray and Atletico Madrid all seem to be interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

keane2097 wrote: »

I mean, the whole point is me saying what I think and the bookies saying what they think you should believe the bookies more than you believe me. Looking at the 180 minutes of ball they played in direct opposition to each other is only a fraction of the various factors that affect how likely either team is to win the thing.

FWIW, each and every one of the pro sports bettors I know maxed out on Madrid to win the tie against United at the odds offered, and again, they know a lot better than most of us, it's their job.

And they were wrong to do so. The tie was very much in United's favour until a ref's\player's rash decision. Winning a bet doesn't mean you were right to make the bet.

I don't have in-depth knowledge of how the bookies put Madrid ahead of Manchester United in the betting but I can use the eyeball test to say that Madrid are not twice as likely to win that trophy. They are around on par with United as a Champions League team. You can argue that they're better on paper but they never seem to gel as a team.

United have been better than them over the last 5-7 years in the CL apart from an anomalous season where United failed to get out of the groups and last season when they met it took a sending off to change the direction of the result.

I just can't see how using bookies' odds as a measure of a team serves any purpose in this situation. Madrid being that short relative to United doesn't look right to me in the context of actually watching the two teams play football over the past few seasons. It's why I'm asking for your opinion and why we're all here discussing football.

Anyway, as I said, this is OT so I'm out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Here was me thinking the summer months would be card/ban free time.

I'm going to give ye the benfit of the doubt and blame ye're madness on the sunshine.

Keep it back on topic or else cards/bans will folllow, thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I see Milan are being linked with Younes Belhanda, anybody know much about him? What are his strengths/weaknesses? What level of player would he be? Aston Villa, Galatasaray and Atletico Madrid all seem to be interested

Very technically able attacking midfielder with a lot of promise. Didn't have the best of seasons this year, but Montpellier as a whole regressed a lot. Milan might be too big a step up at the moment but I wouldn't call it a bad signing by any means.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Watched a fair bit of Montpeiller the season before last. He's an excellent player who should have moved on last summer. Usually plays as the attacking midfielder for club but can also play as a false number nine as he has done so for Morocco on occasion or play deeper in midfield if need be. Not many downsides to him tbh, though I suppose it should be noted he picked up a few niggling injuries this past year. Very good striker of the ball, can pick out those difficult passes, fairly quick with and without the ball and technically sound.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Martinez is likely to make James McCarthy one of his first signings at Everton if all goes through. Would certainly be good from a McCarthy/Irish point of view

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/04/dave-whelan-roberto-martinez-wigan-everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

GavRedKing wrote: »

Keep it back on topic or else cards/bans will folllow, thanks.[/B]

You will have to proof it ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

You will have to proof prove it ;-)

:p

GavRedKing wrote: »
    :p

Lucky I am not doing English Leaving Cert paper today so:pac:

• Advertisement

Martinez is likely to make James McCarthy one of his first signings at Everton if all goes through. Would certainly be good from a McCarthy/Irish point of view

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/04/dave-whelan-roberto-martinez-wigan-everton

That would be good move for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Lucky I am not doing English Leaving Cert paper today so:pac:

it was a lovely paper :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Real Madrid Info ‏@RmadridInfo 46m Real Madrid have reached preliminary agreement with Cristiano for renewal of his contract until 2018. He rejected an offer from PSG [Cope]

it was a lovely paper :D

Good Stuff Copper.

Man dont envy you with this weather.

Best luck with rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Milan have been crying out for a world class trequartista ever since Kaka left. Its one void that was especially obvious last season as there was often a distinct lack of fluidity between Monti in midfield and the front three of Niang, El Shaarawy and Balo. They've tried many players in the role since god left like Boateng, cassano, fat dinho, goufcuff but none really made it their own. Belhanda wouldn't be my first choice but is certainly the right sort player to be chasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

do i think United are interested in bringing Ronaldo back? yes i do.
    do i think Ronaldo would be open for such a move? yes i do.
    do i think it will happen? no i dont.

it could happen, but the money involved means it is unlikely. certain posters need to realise that just cos something doesnt happen, it doesnt mean stories about the possible transfer aint true.

I am 100% sure that United would like Ronaldo back, but they wont match Madrids offer. HOWEVER, him signing a new contract will tell alot, if he doesnt sign this summer, he will move next summer.

United were fully sure that Wesley S, Hazard and Lucas were all done deals, but they didnt happen. the same could be said for every club i am sure.

personally i am expecting us to sign players like Garay and Strootman, possibly Baines though Garay and Baines are not needed unless somebody is leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

MD1990 wrote: »
    Real Madrid Info ‏@RmadridInfo 46m Real Madrid have reached preliminary agreement with Cristiano for renewal of his contract until 2018. He rejected an offer from PSG [Cope]

Well, at least it might be closed off quick then. I'd hate to have it dragging out all summer, ala Sniedjer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

MD1990 wrote: »

Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

do i think United are interested in bringing Ronaldo back? yes i do.
    do i think Ronaldo would be open for such a move? yes i do.
    do i think it will happen? no i dont.

it could happen, but the money involved means it is unlikely. certain posters need to realise that just cos something doesnt happen, it doesnt mean stories about the possible transfer aint true.

I am 100% sure that United would like Ronaldo back, but they wont match Madrids offer. HOWEVER, him signing a new contract will tell alot, if he doesnt sign this summer, he will move next summer.

United were fully sure that Wesley S, Hazard and Lucas were all done deals, but they didnt happen. the same could be said for every club i am sure.

personally i am expecting us to sign players like Garay and Strootman, possibly Baines though Garay and Baines are not needed unless somebody is leaving.

Baines may well be needed if sky sports are correct and Evra is leaving to Monaco.

Baines would be an upgrade on Evra imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Would be a good move for Evra back home too. Wouldn't be surprised to see it go through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Dont think baines would be good for united, doubt he'd be value at his age. Although he did create the most scoring opportunities in any of the top leagues last season...

edit: not sure baines would be an improvement on evra, who improved seriously last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Baines would be an upgrade on Evra imo

in your opinion yes. in my opinion no, i dont want to lose Evra and have to spend money to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

not sure baines would be an improvement on evra, who improved seriously last season
    He scored more, but defensively he has gotten even poorer. Don't let the fantasy football points fool you. ;)

in your opinion yes. in my opinion no, i dont want to lose Evra and have to spend money to do so.

It's nice to see a reply that takes into account the fact I said "my opinion" and doesn't just try to say "no you're 100% wrong you idiot" :rolleyes:

Kudos :p

I don't support United so I wouldn't be considering the money effects as if it were my club, I just think he's a better player.

Do you not think the sale of Evra to Monaco would cover the cost of buying Baines? And surely there wouldn't be much of a wage difference.

If you could but Baines, put him on similar (or lower) wages than Evra and sell Evra to Monaco to recoup the money then I think that would be a very good move by United.

Quazzie wrote: »
    He scored more, but defensively he has gotten even poorer. Don't let the fantasy football points fool you. ;)

defensively he was better this season than before, still not perfect by any means but i found myself shouting at the tv over his lack of tracking back a lot less. good bit of the frailty was to do with vidic bein missed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Defensively he has gotten poorer? :confused:

Evra had very good season and people are blinded by his 2 poor seasons.

Evra was miles better all up last year. Don't let the previous two years fool you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

fernandinho shakhtar to city 40 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Defensively he has gotten poorer? :confused:

Evra had very good season and people are blinded by his 2 poor seasons.

I'd agree, how quick people are to forget... even when Evra was playing crap he was still one of the top 3 LB in the leagur and was hardly ever out of the team. I think he has been a fantastic signing for us overall, yes he had a dip but he was solid last season IMO....

of course he is going to get caught up field sometimes, christ he cant be in 2 places at once! He is an attacking fullback and if you ask your fullback to be a threat in the opposing half then be prepared for him to be caught out from time to time. The midfielder on his side, be it Nani, Val or whoever has a responsibility to cover when he goes froward also, so its unfair to come down too hard on Evra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

He's 28 isn't he thats a lot for a guy that old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

40 million pounds?

bloody hell

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Holy Cow, Fernandino for £34 Million. He's 28...that is nuts!! :eek:

Headshot wrote: »
    40 million pounds?

bloody hell

40 million euro sorry. Wonder how many more signings they make when they have a manager in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Evra was miles better all up last year. Don't let the previous two years fool you.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Link to this please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thats crazy money 30+ million for a 28 yr who lets face it is hardly known, who hasnt played one single competitive game for Brazil

im stunned

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Link to this please.

It's on Sky Sports News

Link to this please.

Just seen it on SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Link to this please.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/342292537375076352

It's City. I'm sure they wont give a fcuk about the ridiculous price if he plays well for the next 3-4 years. If he doesn't, what is £34m to them? They have unlimited funds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Meh, loose change for City owners, they're always going to get screwed on value, can't judge them by other teams standards.

He should have Brazil caps though don't be fooled, but they've always been bad at calling up players applying their trade in eastern Europe, out of sight out of mind.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Good to see teams working hard to get in line with FFP...

Arsenal announce Arshavin, Denilson and Squillaci will leave the club when their contracts expire this summer (end of the month).

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Arsenal announce Arshavin, Denilson and Squillaci will leave the club when their contracts expire this summer (end of the month).

That'll knock a good bit off the wage bill I assume?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

jesus arshavin has been an absolute bomb.
    responsible for this magic though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

~200k of rubbish off the wage budget there.

• Advertisement

Good to see teams working hard to get in line with FFP...

Yeah, if City are signing players at this rate they either must know that FFP is a lame duck or are planning on off-loading a load of players.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

That'll knock a good bit off the wage bill I assume?
    At a guess I'd say around 7-8 million a year.

Stekelenburg has officially moved from Roma to Fulham for €4.5 million, on a 4 year deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Yeah, if City are signing players at this rate they either must know that FFP is a lame duck or are planning on off-loading a load of players.

That Fernandinho fee is over stated, its more like 22 mill with add ons potentially. *according to Manchester news and a few other sources I have seen.

niallo24 wrote: »
    That Fernandinho fee is over stated, its more like 22 mill with add ons potentially. *according to Manchester news and a few other sources I have seen.

They reported it originally on ssn as 40 million euro . SSN Have since said that the 40 million is his release fee but that the fee is more than likely lower than the release fee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement