Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Any sign of Lukaku moving anywhere?

Having seen him play in the last game of the season vs. Man Utd I'm well impressed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Danger781 wrote: »
    Any sign of Lukaku moving anywhere?

Having seen him play in the last game of the season vs. Man Utd I'm well impressed :pac:

Hopefully back to Stamford Bridge to actually play games with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Full article from Times on Fellaini to Arsenal .

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/sport/article3784741.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2013_06_06
    Arsenal have moved ahead of Chelsea and Manchester United in the battle to sign Marouane Fellaini from Everton and the Belgium midfielder is giving serious consideration to moving to the Emirates Stadium.

Bill Kenwright, the Everton chairman, confirmed The Times’s revelations from January on Wednesday of a buyout clause in Fellaini’s contract, enabling him to leave Goodison Park if the club receive an offer of a stipulated sum from a Champions League club, and Arsenal plan to exercise that £24 million option.

“Fellaini insisted on that [clause],” Kenwright said yesterday. “I have to say he has given me every indication he doesn’t want to go.”

Fellaini, though, has repeatedly spoken of his desire to play in the Champions League and has told friends that he is ready to leave this summer, despite having three years remaining on his contract. His departure would be an early blow to the aspirations of Roberto Martínez, the new Everton manager.

Chelsea spent some time last winter preparing a package to entice Fellaini to Stamford Bridge after identifying him as a goalscoring midfielder capable of replacing Frank Lampard, but their interest cooled after the England player signed a one-year contract extension and because José Mourinho has other players in mind. The Portuguese manager’s priority is signing an orthodox holding midfielder, with Sami Khedira, of Real Madrid, and Nemanja Matic, of Benfica, his primary targets.

United retain an interest in Fellaini, but the assumption that he would follow David Moyes to Old Trafford is not guaranteed and, having spoken to Mikel Arteta, a former Everton team-mate, the 25-year-old is attracted by the idea of joining Arsenal. Much of the appeal lies in Fellaini’s desire to establish himself in a regular role at a top-four club as a holding midfielder, which is what Arsène Wenger has in mind.

Arsenal have lacked a physically imposing presence in central midfield since selling Alexandre Song to Barcelona last summer and Fellaini’s height and aerial ability would also considerably increase their threat at set-pieces.

A move for Fellaini would smash Arsenal’s club-record transfer — the £15 million they paid Zenit St Petersburg for Andrey Arshavin four years ago — and they would be able to offer him a significant increase on his £70,000-a-week wages, the highest at Everton by some distance.

Arsenal’s financial position has improved considerably as a result of a £150 million shirt and naming rights deal with Emirates signed last year, and they are close to agreeing a new £30 million-a-year kit deal with Puma. With other commercial agreements in the pipeline, the North London club are projecting breaking the £300 million revenue barrier in two years’ time, a significant increase on last year’s £230 million, which would put them on a par with the world’s richest clubs.

Wenger has been given a £70 million transfer budget for this summer and there is a further £80 million of cash reserves in the club accounts that has been saved for so-called emergencies. Ivan Gazidis, the chief executive, confirmed yesterday that Arsenal are willing and able to spend £25 million on one player. “This year we’re beginning to see the escalation of our financial power,” Gazidis said. “It means we can look at some options that weren’t in our financial capability before. There is no philosophical line in the sand.”

Gazidis also indicated a review of the club’s wage structure in the hope of being able to offer bigger salaries to star players. “As we develop new financial capabilities, the wage boundaries will change,” he said.

• Everton are preparing to offer a new contract to Leighton Baines as they look to prevent the England left back from joining David Moyes at Manchester United. Everton want to secure the future of their best players and are to offer Baines, 28, a lucrative extension to his deal, which expires in 2015. Because Moyes’s departure came under freedom of contract, Everton were not able to negotiate a clause stopping him from signing their players. When asked whether the club will offer Baines a new deal, Bill Kenwright, the Everton chairman, said: “Absolutely right. That’s started; started in that he knows we want him to stay.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Monaco to bid for John Terry:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

24 million would go a long way towards taking that pop at Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The ITK account needs some form of avatar to add to its authenticity, and a quirky bio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The ITK account needs some form of avatar to add to its authenticity, and a quirky bio.

A work in progress ;)

Someone should create a fake Journo with a blog . We can create "exclusives" for him .

We use all of our twitter accounts to vouch for his credibility .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pretty disappointing that a 17 year old kid could just create a handle of "FootballAgent_007" and drive out rumours left, right and center and the collective wisdom of the soccer forum are struggling to emulate. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Arsenal are talking up that they can spend big this summer. Like United and Liverpool, they are not really spending beyond their means, Wenger puts a lot of stock in the FFP. But with their income from the Emirates, shirt deal, CL and TV/PL, and about £100M in sales from RVP, Nasri, Song and Fabregas the last 2 summers, they could really break the bank. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cesar, Fellaini, Higuain and a winger, maybe even Jovetic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Dickerty wrote: »
    Arsenal are talking up that they can spend big this summer. Like United and Liverpool, they are not really spending beyond their means, Wenger puts a lot of stock in the FFP. But with their income from the Emirates, shirt deal, CL and TV/PL, and about £100M in sales from RVP, Nasri, Song and Fabregas the last 2 summers, they could really break the bank. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cesar, Fellaini, Higuain and a winger, maybe even Jovetic...
    I would no way the board or Wenger will change from their "sustainable" model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Spending decent amounts of money wouldn't change anything from their sustainable model. Revenues are due to shoot up in the next 2 years. They can now actually afford to spend 20m on a player.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

That lot he mentioned would be well within Arsenal's means.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Fenerbahce agree personal terms Benfiica's Oscar Cardozo. He spent far too long in Portugal IMO.

BMJ3YZYCcAIXx0x.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Wow, I would think Arsenal fans would be delighted to be going after a player of Fellaini's calibre. He would bring some desperately needed toughness and physicality, and he can play the ball as well.

Himself and Wilshere would be a hugely dynamic and influential partnership, throw in Cazorla's class and find a decent goal-scorer and Arsenal look a totally different side.

And a keeper, seriously.

I'd be thrilled with Felliani and really am hoping this is the summer we finally see the burden of building and financing a new stadium spend and begin to compete off the field and on it again, all the sign are there from the board to Wenger but we will see when the transfer window is over and judge then.

I agree with you on everything you said bar one, we do not need a keeper seriously. If Cesar comes in he will not be guaranteed number 1, Szcez is a bright bright talent who did get a bit slack at a point during the season but being dropped for a period got him back on his toes and some great performances towards the end of the season. You do not finish the league with the second best defensive record with bad goalkeepers ;).

• Advertisement

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Fenerbahce agree personal terms Benfiica's Oscar Cardozo. He spent far too long in Portugal IMO.

Didn't realise he was 30 .

Is Turkey a step up ? I wouldn't consider it to be .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Jax Teller wrote: »

its a tax free haven so i'm sure he's delighted by the move. :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Jax Teller wrote: »

Neither would I. Fener and Galatasary are improving and further distancing themselves from the rest of the league year in and year out but that goes without saying really, they're capable teams. Galatasaray as you'll remember put up a good display vs United in the CL and Fener went deep in their run in the Europa League in which they lost Benfica in the semi final this past season. Besiktas little Portuguese project they had going really flopped though. The rest are fairly poor from the odd bit I've watched or read.

That lot he mentioned would be well within Arsenal's means.

Who's he, the cat's father? :)

They have freed up some wages from Arshavin, Denilson and Squilacci being released, and have been very frugal the last few years. I am certain Wenger is not happy battling for 4th place, he must recognise that they need 3/4 really strong players...

Who's he, the cat's father? :)

They have freed up some wages from Arshavin, Denilson and Squilacci being released, and have been very frugal the last few years. I am certain Wenger is not happy battling for 4th place, he must recognise that they need 3/4 really strong players...

That what all Arsenal fans are hoping plus if we can maybe just maybe shift some the other deadwood this summer such as Bendtner.

From the sounds of Gazidis and Wenger it does sound like there ready to start spending now the stadium debt is easing off and more income is coming in from new sponsorships deals. If they don't make positive moves this summer I think there will be hell to pay amongst the fans come the end of August.

• Advertisement

They do play good enough football, but I don't know if they show that hunger to win games late, the way the top 3 have done in recent years, and even Spurs have started to do. Relying on characters like Walcott, Wiltshere and Cazorla - for all their ability, they are not Yaya or Aguero or Lampard or Giggs. Lacking real leadership on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Yes he's actually meant to be very good he's 18 but a regular for the spurs u-21s who came runners up in the u-21 league this year(Despite finishing 8 points above everyone else in the actual league).
    Just on this McEvoy has been offered a pro contract at the club.

They do play good enough football, but I don't know if they show that hunger to win games late, the way the top 3 have done in recent years, and even Spurs have started to do. Relying on characters like Walcott, Wiltshere and Cazorla - for all their ability, they are not Kolo or Aguero or Lampard or Giggs. Lacking real leadership on the pitch.

You clearly haven't watched much of Wilshere so, he is a future Arsenal captain and a player whos drive and determination on the pitch is unmatched at Arsenal never gives up or stops chasing. Cazorla and Walcott yeh. Plus I wouldnt brand Kolo or Aguero leaders on the pitch.

Plus im nearly positive we scored more goals in the final 25 minutes than any other team in the league this season ;).

What we do need badly is a powerhouse midfielder who can grab games by the scruff of the neck when things aren't going our way and a top class CF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You clearly haven't watched much of Wilshere so

Or much of Arsenal in general for the entire second half of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

They do play good enough football, but I don't know if they show that hunger to win games late, the way the top 3 have done in recent years, and even Spurs have started to do. Relying on characters like Walcott, Wiltshere and Cazorla - for all their ability, they are not Yaya or Aguero or Lampard or Giggs. Lacking real leadership on the pitch.

Arsenal have many many faults but what you have said is just rubbish. Arsenal scored the most amount of goals in the league in the last 10 minutes (and conceded the least for what its worth)

edit was beaten to it while just confirming my reply :)

But how many of those are to turn a draw into a defeat, rather than the 3rd goal in a rout? And I am thinking back further than last season. City did it a lot last season, United this season...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

You clearly haven't watched much of Wilshere so, he is a future Arsenal captain and a player whos drive and determination on the pitch is unmatched at Arsenal never gives up or stops chasing. Cazorla and Walcott yeh. Plus I wouldnt brand Kolo or Aguero leaders on the pitch.

Maybe I've missed something in the world of football, but why is Kolo Toure mentioned here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

But how many of those are to turn a draw into a defeat, rather than the 3rd goal in a rout? And I am thinking back further than last season. City did it a lot last season, United this season...

:rolleyes:

Stop while you're behind. I presume you mean "to turn a draw into a win" because they're hardly scoring own goals.

I would consider turning a draw into a win in the last 10 mins a lot more important than adding a goal to a 3-0/4-0 rout against a team who has most likely given up in the last few mins

elefant wrote: »
    Maybe I've missed something in the world of football, but why is Kolo Toure mentioned here?

Ah if you check dickerty post I quoted he said Kolo before he edited it later to say YaYa, his ninja edit failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/8763114/Full-PL-Released-List-Gallas-Yossi-Ferreira-Etc.

Some interesting names in there. Tommy Forecast released by Southampton. Bet he didnt see that coming.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    http://www.football365.com/news/21554/8763114/Full-PL-Released-List-Gallas-Yossi-Ferreira-Etc.

Some interesting names in there. Tommy Forecast released by Southampton. Bet he didnt see that coming.

You mean he didn't forecast it...? :pac:

/gets coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Malouda and Ferreira were still with Chelsea?! :eek:

Wiki 2012 Summer:

"A number of teams in Brazil, as well as his former club Lyon all showed an interest while the window was open, but Malouda refused to take a significant wage drop from his £80,000 a week and as a result of his refusal to move he was not picked to be a member of the Chelsea squad in any competition and has been ordered to train away from the regular team and instead train with the U-21 squad"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

The fact that Arsenal have came from behind last season and this to grab the final CL spot shows desire and will to win for me.
    Esp this year, it looked a lost cause but they didn't throw in the towel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Malouda and Ferreira were still with Chelsea?! :eek:

And Hilario.

In Maloudas case he turned down an offer from Brazil, his wife is Brazilian so decided to stay here and got banished to train with the young fellas and see out his last year.

AFAIK he was offered about 50% less then his reported 80K a week to play in Brazil and decided to stay in England for his last year and collect his wedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

This transfer window is going to show that most teams don't give a shite about the UEFA/FIFA Financial Fair Play Regulations.:rolleyes:

This transfer window is going to show that most teams don't give a shite about the UEFA/FIFA Financial Fair Play Regulations.:rolleyes:

It's a pity, spending big is one thing but Monaco, City etc. are taking the p***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Chris Baird...i thought he had a solid enough few years for Fulham? Maybe one for the likes of Hull, can play in a few different defensive positions.

It'll show Uefa haven't got the balls to do anything about these teams .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

It's a pity, spending big is one thing but Monaco, City etc. are taking the p***

epl revenues are making a huge jump. monaco arent in european competition so it doesnt matter to them yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

15 followers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I had no idea Waybe Bridge was still contracted to Man City.

He must have been the highest paid player in the Championship by a fecking long way this year!

Seaneh wrote: »
    I had no idea Waybe Bridge was still contracted to Man City.

He must have been the highest paid player in the Championship by a fecking long way this year!

Think City were paying 90% of his wages , Brighton paid the other 10%.

Something like that .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Franco Di Santo on a free would be a good signing for a lot of premiership/top league teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Hidalgo wrote: »
    The fact that Arsenal have came from behind last season and this to grab the final CL spot shows desire and will to win for me.
    Esp this year, it looked a lost cause but they didn't throw in the towel

It's much much easier to play like that when you have nothing to lose and you're behind. It takes real mental strength and courage to put yourself in a strong position early and keep going like United did. Arsenal are seriously lacking leadership, in my opinion from Wenger, to be be doing better than they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Aleksandar Tonev
    Lech Poznan
    >Aston Villa.

A deal has been agreed between both clubs. Last time I saw a fee mentioned was €8M. Tonev is reported to be a winger. He is 23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

United make the big signing the fans have been crying out for... Guillermo Varela...
    Anybody know anything about him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

United make the big signing the fans have been crying out for... Guillermo Varela...
    Anybody know anything about him?

We've had him on trial already,he must be decent,we'll get a look at him in the under 20's championship.
    Patrice Evra had been joking with Varela in Spanish that Uruguayans must bite everyone! The lighthearted atmosphere has helped settle the defender in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Aleksandar Tonev
    Lech Poznan
    >Aston Villa.

A deal has been agreed between both clubs. Last time I saw a fee mentioned was €8M. Tonev is reported to be a winger. He is 23.

I've seen fees of around £3.5m mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Wiki 2012 Summer:

"A number of teams in Brazil, as well as his former club Lyon all showed an interest while the window was open, but Malouda refused to take a significant wage drop from his £80,000 a week and as a result of his refusal to move he was not picked to be a member of the Chelsea squad in any competition and has been ordered to train away from the regular team and instead train with the U-21 squad"

This generation's winston bogarde!

• Advertisement
Advertisement