Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

:confused::confused::confused: why is a club legend, a sap? i think he knows a fair few things about the club, dont you?

Yeah he's a great player but I assume you read that in the lame article he does write for the Sunday World which are about as pointless as the pro former club garbage that Aldridge writes in the same paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Tbf I can see entirely why anybody would think what you say.

I be surprised if did happen although we are after him.

If and it's a IF he did come I be cleaning my laptop for some time.

Yeh I'd say it's about as likely for Rooney to come to Arsenal I know its being widely reported as it may happen but I just can't that one happening either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeh I'd say it's about as likely for Rooney to come to Arsenal I know its being widely reported as it may happen but I just can't that one happening either.

Are you an Arsenal fan? Because I can't see the similarity in the likelihood of these 2 events. United are an infinitely more attractive club to join than Arsenal. Rooney would be nuts to make that move.

fabregas to Utd is 5/2

4/11 to stay at Barca

7/2 to go back to Arsenal, which could be worth a punt. If Fergie was still at Utd I'd fancy them but Moyes wouldn't be as big a draw tbf. Wenger knows him inside out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Arsenal get half the price as well if hes sold don't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Most journo's also say that Arsenal have a buy back first option. Don't think it'll happen though, this season at least.

CSF wrote: »
    Are you an Arsenal fan? Because I can't see the similarity in the likelihood of these 2 events. United are an infinitely more attractive club to join than Arsenal. Rooney would be nuts to make that move.

Yes I am and to be honest off all the one were meant persuing I'd prefer Higuain over Rooney anyday.

If Arsenal are true to there word yes United are a more attractive option but not a whole lot more with Moyes at the helm United are facing uncertainty whether some of there fans like to admit it or not. If Arsenal do sing someone of Higuain calibre it sends out real message of intent by Arsenal and shows a real turning point in the clubs direction and with Wenger at the helm a man who when given funds created the Invincibles a man who is still a big draw for a lot of players to work with.

Alot of if's in there but this summer will tell a lot about Arsenal, stadium debt which stiffled us for so long is begining to clear and funds are becoming available.

Plus for Fabregas who himself recently stated he will not move to United, Arsenal are a bigger draw he has said on numerous occasions there the only club he will play for in the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Fabregas will never play for United.

I dont think he is going anywhere but if he does leave, it'll be back to Arsenal. His girlfriend and kid still live there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm never sure which type of poster annoys me more; the ones who think a player to a team is a "dead cert" before the team announce it, or the ones who declare "X will NEVER play for Y" without any reason nor proof that doesn't include the words "because I believe they won't".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I think Fabergas will want to win a lot more trophies this time if he goes back to the epl so it will probably be to United then:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Lol at Fabragas "said" he wouldn't join United. Never been any history of what players say and do being polar opposites has there? So many bafflingly fickle fans on this site, not quite sure what footballers have done from a loyalty point of view in recent years to give them so much faith.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Fabregas will never play for United.

I dont think he is going anywhere but if he does leave, it'll be back to Arsenal. His girlfriend and kid still live there.

What difference does it make where his missus and kid live in your argument for him going back to arsenal? If he can live in spain without them for two years or so i reckon he will be just fine in manchester..even so he can do a michael owen job and helicopter it to training and games.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

If Fabregas leaves Barcelona this summer (he won't imo) I seriously doubt he'd even consider Arsenal an option. He's a world class player, why would he go to a club that won't be winning the league/CL next season?

It's all well and good saying he loves Arsenal etc but there is no sentiment in football. IF he leaves to the PL it will be to one of the big three who actually have a realistic chance at challenging each year for the major prizes.

I think Fabergas will want to win a lot more trophies this time if he goes back to the epl so it will probably be to United then:pac:

Based on David Moyes tremendous haul of trophies in his career yeh thats a certainty alright.
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Lol at Fabragas "said" he wouldn't join United. Never been any history of what players say and do being polar opposites has there? So many bafflingly fickle fans on this site, not quite sure what footballers have done from a loyalty point of view in recent years to give them so much faith.

Time will tell but im confident. I don't think he will move at all like others have said but if he does it will be to Arsenal. If that does happen ill be quoting all these posts as much as I'd accept mine being quoted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

What difference does it make where his missus and kid live in your argument for him going back to arsenal? If he can live in spain without them for two years or so i reckon he will be just fine in manchester..even so he can do a michael owen job and helicopter it to training and games.

Thats the point. One of the reasons he is rumoured to want to leave Spain, is to be closer to them. Also the baby was only born a few months ago so it hasn't been an issue for the past two years. He also tried to buy her ex husbands house in London a short while ago.

It's all very trashy gossip, but there you have it:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Time will tell but im confident. I don't think he will move at all like others have said but if he does it will be to Arsenal.

I hope for your own sake you're 18 or younger. Otherwise grow the **** up and stop spouting this naive rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Let's keep it civil okay.

Based on David Moyes tremendous haul of trophies in his career yeh thats a certainty alright.

He is as welcome to a winning team as Moyes is. I would welcome him with open arms anyway great midfielder just the type of player we need to improve our squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Wasn't Van Persie Aresnal to the core too?

The notion that Moyes makes Arsenal anywhere close to as attractive an option as United is absurd.

If there is one club who cannot use Moyes lack of trophies won as a stick to beat United with, it's Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

eugeneious wrote: »
    If Fabregas leaves Barcelona this summer (he won't imo) I seriously doubt he'd even consider Arsenal an option. He's a world class player, why would he go to a club that won't be winning the league/CL next season?

It's all well and good saying he loves Arsenal etc but there is no sentiment in football. IF he leaves to the PL it will be to one of the big three who actually have a realistic chance at challenging each year for the major prizes.

wont be playing in england next year then will he

Iang87 wrote: »
    wont be playing in england next year then will he
    Hard to say. In June 2011, nobody would have been predicting Chelsea, and in June 2012, nobody would have been predicting Bayern. Haven't a clue who will win it and nor do you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hard to say. In June 2011, nobody would have been predicting Chelsea, and in June 2012, nobody would have been predicting Bayern. Haven't a clue who will win it and nor do you.

Nobody would have predicted the previous years finalists?

The notion that Moyes makes Arsenal anywhere close to as attractive an option as United is absurd.

If there is one club who cannot use Moyes lack of trophies won as a stick to beat United with, it's Arsenal.

I wasnt using it to beat United but the arrogance by SOME United fans is a bit naive, there is uncertainty at United, Moyes in not a manager who will draw players in, yet anyway.

The idea that United will be league winners next season and win trophies by some posters is plain and simple arrogance its blind confidence, should be able to admit there is doubt United would be my 3rd favorites going into next season behind City and Chelsea. Even last season they werent great in fact no team was in the EPL City and Chelsea self imploded and well us at Arsenal only scraped our way into fourth.

But on last season as the saying goes you can only beat what is put in front of you.

The Champions League yehs have as much of hope as Arsenal im afraid.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Nobody would have predicted the previous years finalists?
    Not really, no. They had won nothing the year before and their spurt to imperious dominance came out of nowhere. I mean, of course they were in that list of clubs who you have to consider every year but they really weren't at the top of it. My point is that United, City and Chelsea are in that list too and are just as capable of winning it ahead of the justified favourites.

I wasnt using it to beat United but the arrogance by SOME United fans is a bit naive, there is uncertainty at United, Moyes in not a manager who will draw players in, yet anyway.

The idea that United will be league winners next season and win trophies by some posters is plain and simple arrogance its blind confidence, should be able to admit there is doubt United would be my 3rd favorites going into next season behind City and Chelsea. Even last season they werent great in fact no team was in the EPL City and Chelsea self imploded and well us at Arsenal only scraped our way into fourth.

But on last season as the saying goes you can only beat what is put in front of you.

They are favourites to win the league next season, that is indisputable fact, I've yet to see a bookmaker anywhere that doesn't have them favourites. They aren't my tip for it, I fancy Chelsea, but they are favourites.

With all this said, Man United won't have to win the league next season to finish ahead of Arsenal. After 8 years without a trophy or so much as a Premiership runners up medal, it is difficult to consider Arsenal a legitimate contender.

Just to clarify I don't support United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Chelsea have to make HUGE steps forward next season. Now it is possible but they were in a battle for 4th place for most of the season. City went significantly backwards last season too and Navas and Fernandinho aren't exactly the most proven-especially Navas with his homesickness.

I asked in the Arsenal thread late summer last year if they thought that it was possible for them to improve by 19 points relative to United who were going to improve.

United were ahead of Real until the Nani sending off, talk of hypothetical all you must but I'd back United over Dortmund and would be close with Bayern. One or 2 right midfielders and United have a world class first 11 and squad, it's been mainly the squad the last few seasons with the first 11 lacking somewhat. I'm hoping for a turnaround in the Nani situation as I think he could be a huge player next season if he can get fit and play. Valencia can't get any worse and I'd hope Moyes can sort him out.

There are a lot of variables but to say Arsenal have the same hopes as United in Europe is LOL at this stage. The best team in the country is at the same level as the barely 4th best? But we're the arrogant and delusional ones.

They are favourites to win the league next season, that is indisputable fact, I've yet to see a bookmaker anywhere that doesn't have them favourites. They aren't my tip for it, I fancy Chelsea, but they are favourites.

With all this said, Man United won't have to win the league next season to finish ahead of Arsenal. After 8 years without a trophy or so much as a Premiership runners up medal, it is difficult to consider Arsenal a legitimate contender.

Just to clarify I don't support United.

Since when are bookies used in debates over football matters :confused: I wouldn't know I never go the bookies so in the bookies they may well be, well see next year but for many United would not be favorites and the arrogance is borderline delusional they may win it but there not as sure a thing they would be if Ferguson were still at the helm.

But I never said Arsenal were title contenders? I said if we go out and spend like we hope and bring in the right players we might be at least challengers, and I followed that with its a big if at the moment ;).

Since when are bookies used in debates over football matters :confused: I wouldn't know I never go the bookies so in the bookies they may well be, well see next year but for many United would not be favorites and the arrogance is borderline delusional they may win it but there not as sure a thing they would be if Ferguson were still at the helm.

But I never said Arsenal were title contenders? I said if we go out and spend like we hope and bring in the right players we might be at least challengers, and I followed that with its a big if at the moment ;).
    Please quote me people saying United are a sure thing to win the next year. More than 1 person.

I used the bookies scenario simply to indicate that they are in fact favourites still, even with Moyes, because I didn't think you were actually serious with this United fans think they're a sure thing argument.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Chelsea have to make HUGE steps forward next season. Now it is possible but they were in a battle for 4th place for most of the season. City went significantly backwards last season too and Navas and Fernandinho aren't exactly the most proven-especially Navas with his homesickness.

I asked in the Arsenal thread late summer last year if they thought that it was possible for them to improve by 19 points relative to United who were going to improve.

United were ahead of Real until the Nani sending off, talk of hypothetical all you must but I'd back United over Dortmund and would be close with Bayern. One or 2 right midfielders and United have a world class first 11 and squad, it's been mainly the squad the last few seasons with the first 11 lacking somewhat. I'm hoping for a turnaround in the Nani situation as I think he could be a huge player next season if he can get fit and play. Valencia can't get any worse and I'd hope Moyes can sort him out.

There are a lot of variables but to say Arsenal have the same hopes as United in Europe is LOL at this stage. The best team in the country is at the same level as the barely 4th best? But we're the arrogant and delusional ones.

Not really because I said as much hope, I don't think either have a snowballs chance in hell of winning the Champions League next season but nice attempt at twisting my words though.

Not really because I said as much hope, I don't think either have a snowballs chance in hell of winning the Champions League next season but nice attempt at twisting my words though.
    Right now, they are 5th best team in the world at worst. Of course they have a chance. Why would you say something so silly? You may think they won't (and I'd agree with you) and you're entitled to that opinion, but to suggest they have no chance is just ridiculous.

Please quote me people saying United are a sure thing to win the next year. More than 1 person.

I used the bookies scenario simply to indicate that they are in fact favourites still, even with Moyes, because I didn't think you were actually serious with this United fans think they're a sure thing argument.

More than one person in this thread and other threads and other United fans I know have implied United will win trophies and the league when in football there are no certainties, and United would not be favorites so the arrogance is a bit much by some, and I highlight some.

Right now, they are 5th best team in the world at worst. Of course they have a chance. Why would you say something so silly? You may think they won't (and I'd agree with you) and you're entitled to that opinion, but to suggest they have no chance is just ridiculous.

Because I genuinely don't think they will win the Champions League I don't think any team from the EPL will next season unless they go out and do a serious recruitment drive so my opinion could change come August 31st as of right now no. Everyone is entitled to there opinion.

More than one person in this thread and other threads and other United fans I know have implied United will win trophies and the league when in football there are no certainties, and United would not be favorites so the arrogance is a bit much by some, and I highlight some.

Because I genuinely don't think they will win the Champions League I don't think any team from the EPL will next season unless they go out and do a serious recruitment drive so my opinion could change come August 31st as of right now no. Everyone is entitled to there opinion.
    United are favourites. I'm not sure you understand the term favourite. This is getting dangerously like that chap who swore blind Norwich were in the relegation zone with 3 games to go last season.

United are favourites. I'm not sure you understand the term favourite. This is getting dangerously like that chap who swore blind Norwich were in the relegation zone with 3 games to go last season.

Yes I do understand the term favorites thank you very much, as I already have stated numerous times who knows you might actually get it this time and drop the matter fingers crossed. For me there not they are in unknown territory with a new manager while they will still be contenders they are not favorites, or wait sorry am I meant to base all my opinions on what bookies say like a popularity poll? Or maybe should listen to Eamon Dunphy and let him decide for me? I didn't know there was only one opinion allowed on here.

Yes I do understand the term favorites thank you very much, as I already have stated numerous times who knows you might actually get it this time and drop the matter fingers crossed. For me there not they are in unknown territory with a new manager while they will still be contenders they are not favorites, or wait sorry am I meant to base all my opinions on what bookies say like a popularity poll? Or maybe should listen to Eamon Dunphy and let him decide for me? I didn't know there was only one opinion allowed on here.
    But the 'favourite' is a bookie term. I don't actually think United will win the league, but to say they aren't favourites is arguing against fact, and your doing so, while claiming to understand the term is awfully confusing.

• Advertisement

But the 'favourite' is a bookie term. I don't actually think United will win the league, but to say they aren't favourites is arguing against fact, and your doing so, while claiming to understand the term is awfully confusing.

:pac: now your just being pedantic, I never go the bookies I don't follow the bookies etc I think I can use the term freely without it being related to the bookies and use it for my own opinions or have the bookies copyrighted the word and not informed the world?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

So much fail.

:pac: now your just being pedantic, I never go the bookies I don't follow the bookies etc I think I can use the term freely without it being related to the bookies and use it for my own opinions or have the bookies copyrighted the word and not informed the world?
    I'm not being pedantic, I'm genuinely confused as to why you are arguing against fact. We aren't arguing about who will win the league here, we're arguing about you making a silly statement against fact.

You can't use your own opinion and say they are the favourite, that makes no sense at all. This argument is beyond ridiculous. Stop saying silly things.

I'm not being pedantic, I'm genuinely confused as to why you are arguing against fact. We aren't arguing about who will win the league here, we're arguing about you making a silly statement against fact.

You can't use your own opinion and say they are the favourite, that makes no sense at all. This argument is beyond ridiculous. Stop saying silly things.

I stated in my opinion United are not favorites, that is not arguing fact it is giving ones opinion. Your right this argument is beyond ridiculous why am I even bothering.

I stated in my opinion United are not favorites, that is not arguing fact it is giving ones opinion. Your right this argument is beyond ridiculous why am I even bothering.
    This is my last post on this topic. You can't have an opinion about a factual matter. It makes no sense. I can't express the opinion that Borussia Dortmund won the Champions League this year. It is a fact that Bayern won it. Facts are things that can be measured and proven, opinions relate to things that are open to different frames of thought. Stop saying silly things because it makes you look silly!! Now lets move on, because this sillyness has driven the thread way off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

This is my last post on this topic. You can't have an opinion about a factual matter. It makes no sense. I can't express the opinion that Borussia Dortmund won the Champions League this year. It is a fact that Bayern won it. Facts are things that can be measured and proven, opinions relate to things that are open to different frames of thought. Stop saying silly things because it makes you look silly!! Now lets move on, because this sillyness has driven the thread way off topic.

Might aswell close this forum so!

I wouldnt have Man United as favourites this season for the title, are you even willing to back them?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Might aswell close this forum so!

I wouldnt have Man United as favourites this season for the title, are you even willing to back them?
    No I don't think they will win it. I bet on loads of things that aren't the favourite. The thing I didn't bet on because I didn't fancy is still the favourite. That is the factual part that can't be disputed, not whether they should be or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It seems the sun is frying people's brains.

No I don't think they will win it. I bet on loads of things that aren't the favourite. The thing I didn't bet on because I didn't fancy is still the favourite. That is the factual part that can't be disputed, not whether they should be or not.

This thread is littered with people using bookie odds to justify opinion which is abit of a fail given how they operate.

Favourite is not the same as bookies favourite imo

This thread is littered with people using bookie odds to justify opinion which is abit of a fail given how they operate.

Favourite is not the same as bookies favourite imo
    Just to clarify, I'm not using bookies odds to justify my opinion or any opinion. I can't say any more than this without tearing my own head off in frustration.

Don't know if this was mentioned, but Arsenal being linked heavily with Gundogan in alot of places. If Lewandowski and Gundogan do follow Gotze out the door, I don't think any amount of replacements can help Dortmund compete with Bayern next year. That and Reus will probably be clamouring to be next out the door.

Just to clarify, I'm not using bookies odds to justify my opinion or any opinion. I can't say any more than this without tearing my own head off in frustration.

Don't know if this was mentioned, but Arsenal being linked heavily with Gundogan in alot of places. If Lewandowski and Gundogan do follow Gotze out the door, I don't think any amount of replacements can help Dortmund compete with Bayern next year. That and Reus will probably be clamouring to be next out the door.

Fair enough, dont tear your hair out over the internet, it will win then! :pac:

True but I didnt rate Dortmund to keep pace with Bayern even if they kept Lewandowski, Gundogan & Reus tbh. I think Bayern have an incredible platform to build on regardless of what other clubs will do.

Fair enough, dont tear your hair out over the internet, it will win then! :pac:

True but I didnt rate Dortmund to keep pace with Bayern even if they kept Lewandowski, Gundogan & Reus tbh. I think Bayern have an incredible platform to build on regardless of what other clubs will do.
    The manager change means anything could happen though. Guardiola is going to want to change things and there are some serious egos in that squad who had been pacified under Heynckes but we could very easily see issues arise under Guardiola if things don't go their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Gündogan's buyout clause is around €25m I think. I expect him to extend with BVB over the summer (He's seriously underpaid).

Oat23 wrote: »
    Gündogan's buyout clause is around €25m I think. I expect him to extend with BVB over the summer (He's seriously underpaid).
    I can't understand why he would go to Arsenal over Dortmund anyway unless the money is really out of this world.

The manager change means anything could happen though. Guardiola is going to want to change things and there are some serious egos in that squad who had been pacified under Heynckes but we could very easily see issues arise under Guardiola if things don't go their way.

Or Guardiola will provide continuity to Heynckes. On the continent, there isnt as much instability at a club like what happens in England when a manager leaves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement