Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Lampard is undroppable imo

He will be given a reduced role, no matter how well he played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lampard is undroppable imo

By all means play him in the big games and cup games but Oscar is the man for that position I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Chelsea signing Cavani, Shurrle and a DM could make them unstoppable next season.

A front four of Hazard, Mata, Shurrle and Cavani is fantasy football-esque.

Ye 14/1 for next years Champions League is appealing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Noises coming out of Milan are that Robinho will be shipped off to Santos for €7-8million and then the money from that will be used to sign Tevez for about €10million. With Tevez taking a slight paycut and getting the wage that Robinho is currently on (highest at Milan).

I wouldn't be upset with that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Ye 14/1 for next years Champions League is appealing.

It would be the 9/4 in the league I'd be looking at, if I wasn't a United supporter of course :P.

Can see the transition to Moyes being a tough one unless Ronaldo comes home, Chelsea getting Cavani could be the tipping point, they've only been a world class striker away from winning titles the last few seasons IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Liverpool FC ‏@LFC 5m
    Liverpool FC are delighted to announce that we have agreed a deal in principle for Celta Vigo striker Iago Aspas: http://lfc.tv/HNf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Seaneh wrote: »
    Noises coming out of Milan are that Robinho will be shipped off to Santos for €7-8million

If he needs someone to pack his bags or take him to the airport he need only ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

kraggy wrote: »
    How much of the price of a jersey do clubs make? I presume they make more if they sell them in a club shop but Real making back the cost of Beckham in jersey sales seems mad.

So how much do they make?

From official club shops it's approximately £15 per jersey sold, from third parties it's approximately £2

To put that into context, Man Utd sell more jerseys than anyone else at about 1.2-1.4m a year, and only about 15-30% of sales would be in official club shops, so you're looking at an approximate ballpark income from jersey sales for the biggest clubs of about £7m, best case scenario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Real insist on extremely good (for them) image rights deals, think Ronaldo has the most generous one they have ever agreed with a player but other then that they are pretty tight on it. Forget jersey sales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

kryogen wrote: »
    Real insist on extremely good (for them) image rights deals, think Ronaldo has the most generous one they have ever agreed with a player but other then that they are pretty tight on it. Forget jersey sales

Fairly sure they insist on 50% image rights with most players, which included Beckham, as they believe the club will boost their marketability significantly.

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    Fairly sure they insist on 50% image rights with most players, which included Beckham, as they believe the club will boost their marketability significantly.

The big stars they give 50/50 too yes, I was sure they had given Ronaldo a better one, but after a quick google like yourself it seems he also has a 50/50 deal with them, thought he had gotten himself a 70/30 for some reason

At the heart of these contracts is a tax loophole imo, not completely confined to Spain, even going back to when Bergkamp signed for Arsenal and Platt too for that matter

Just came across it, Real were rumoured to have offered Neymar a 70/30 split, I thought they were offering him the same as what Ronnie had for whatever reason!

Going off point here really, which is that a players image rights can be far more profitable to a club then the initial boost in jersey sales which don't actually add up to that much really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Nani looks like he'll be sold for £8m. Looks a bargain for whoever snaps him up at that price no?

jive wrote: »
    Nani looks like he'll be sold for £8m. Looks a bargain for whoever snaps him up at that price no?

I think Ill actually vomit if that happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Liverpool FC ‏@LFC 5m
    Liverpool FC are delighted to announce that we have agreed a deal in principle for Celta Vigo striker Iago Aspas: http://lfc.tv/HNf

Hopefully the first of a run of signings. Toure was done quickly, this has been flagged for a while, would love to now see a big name arriving quickly - and names don't come mych bigger than Kyriakos Papadopoulos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

jive wrote: »

Last year of his contract but I still think theyed probably push 10 for him at the very elast, depends on the team and if he wants to leave, cant see him rocking up at another EPL team though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Last year of his contract but I still think theyed probably push 10 for him at the very elast, depends on the team and if he wants to leave, cant see him rocking up at another EPL team though.

I wonder if one of the big two French teams might see him as an option. He'd relish the less aggressive defenses he'd play against, and has tons of experience. Either that or one of the "Not the big two" top Spanish teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Spurs being linked with Paulinho who is similar to Ramires scored against England recently which is why I'm guessing we have suddenly bee linked with him.

Actually I wait on someone to tell me that Liverpool have been tracking him for months :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Look at what we paid for RVP and Young. Why do we get screwed over just coz he's in his last year of contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Fernandinho and Paulinho like Ramires now eh. If people haven't seen much of players, kindly stop making lazy/borderline racist comparisons please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Look at what we paid for RVP and Young. Why do we get screwed over just coz he's in his last year of contract?

Because it doesn't seem like the club want him & he hasn't been playing much or playing well when he has played . Young and Rvp were both wanted by their clubs and played every game for them . Same with Nasri .

Big difference IMO .

Because ye're Man Utd, its what happens to the bigger clubs, Young and RVP were gambles, more so RVP given his injury record and age but hes work out a lot better then Young has, not discounting Young but RVP has been a great buy.

Realistically, I cant see Nani staying in England which cases it narrows his options, Monaco could come in and it would be name your price, ye'd probably clear double figures no problem and he'd be rewarded with a 100% tax free income.

But point being, when Utd go looking for a player, like mentioned above ye're likely to get stung for more money, wages, agent fees and everything that comes with being the biggest club in the country and one of the biggest in Europe that other clubs just wont be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Cos United were willing to pay it. I'd say United won't sell to an EPL and most forgein clubs are a lot more sensible with their money (barring the few odd exceptions).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Earlier we heard from Napoli striker Edinson Cavani's mother about the Uruguay international's future - now his father has been having his say.

"Cavani's intention is to play for Real Madrid," Luis Cavani told Spanish newspaper Futboleros. "He is excited about it and is very willing to see it through. He has told the family in private that he wants to join Real Madrid but if he declares it publicly it will annoy Napoli.

Good to see his son's wishes being respected.

I've accepted Cavani will leave, but it's horrible that his most likely destinations are City, Chelsea and Real Madrid. I seriously dislike all three, although Florentino Perez and Marca stirring sh1te like the above would make me hate Madrid more than the other two.

Hopefully De Laurentiis milks Madrid for the absolute maximum and then does another Inler-style press conference and reveals he's actually sold them Calaio.

Ya gotta love Marca, in general they come up with some gems that would even rival the UK rags.

Whatever happens cavani, Napoli have to try and replace his goals with the money they will get for him, its probably going to be north of 55 Million euro.

All three of the clubs can afford it and the wages so basically its down to where he wants to go and they dont come bigger then Real Madrid really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

carlop wrote: »
    Good to see his son's wishes being respected.

I've accepted Cavani will leave, but it's horrible that his most likely destinations are City, Chelsea and Real Madrid. I seriously dislike all three, although Florentino Perez and Marca stirring sh1te like the above would make me hate Madrid more than the other two.

Hopefully De Laurentiis milks Madrid for the absolute maximum and then does another Inler-style press conference and reveals he's actually sold them Calaio.

Totally agree with Marca and Perez, the whole Galatico's crap used really annoy the hell out of me. They pulled the same mammy crap with Cronaldo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Ya gotta love Marca, in general they come up with some gems that would even rival the UK rags.

Whatever happens cavani, Napoli have to try and replace his goals with the money they will get for him, its probably going to be north of 55 Million euro.

All three of the clubs can afford it and the wages so basically its down to where he wants to go and they dont come bigger then Real Madrid really.

So far they've been linked with Dzeko (fairly dependent on City getting Cavani I imagine), Torres and Mario Gomez. I'd love Dzeko, accept Gomez and hate Torres.

I 'support' (inverted commas because I don't know if you can actually support more than one team) both Napoli and Atletico Madrid, so if I dodge Torres this summer it will be a miracle!

Dzeko is the best fit to repalce Cavani, younger then both Torres and Gomez and offers a similar role to Cavani even if the goals might not be as free flowing, IMO of course.

I think the only reason they were linked was Torres was Rafa taking over and Chelseas interest in Cavani, cant see him turning up at Napoli for next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Fernandinho and Paulinho like Ramires now eh. If people haven't seen much of players, kindly stop making lazy/borderline racist comparisons please.

Its better than Filipe Melo is kinda like Pirlo, I remember that one doing the rounds when the former left Fiorentina a few years ago for Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

Owen Coyle will be unveiled as the new Wigan manager shortly according to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22902197

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

DenMan wrote: »
    Owen Coyle will be unveiled as the new Wigan manager shortly according to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22902197

Decent enough appointment I guess for the short term.

A lot of players will leave/leaving this summer so I'm guessing it'll be tough for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Pantillimon to Hull :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Pantillimon to Hull :(

Why sad face?

I've actually never seen the man play a game for city, he's hardly a loss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Why sad face?

He was great in the FA Cup and looked promising whenever he got a chance imo

Tevez to Milan rumours gaining depth. Alleged fee of around €10 million

Bargain of the century if you ask me

Why sad face?

Played all the FA/League cup games AFAIK and was then dropped for the Fa cup final by Mancini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Why sad face?

Because he's the best number two in the league and was very good every time he was called upon.

Big shoes to fill in every sense of the term.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Because he's the best number two in the league and was very good every time he was called upon.

Chelsea have the best number two in the league...

I dont think Courtois counts really though. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Lindegaard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Doni was the best number 2 the Premier League ever saw, now end thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I dont think Courtois counts really though. :pac:

I was talking about Cech. :p

I was talking about Cech. :p

Well if Courtois is brought back then ya we'd be fairly sorted for having the best G.K. options in the league.

Cant see Courtois coming back and sitting on the bench though and allowing Mignelot a chance to claim the Belgian number 1 jersey for the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Played all the FA/League cup games AFAIK and was then dropped for the Fa cup final by Mancini.

Didn't he announce he wanted to leave a few days before the cup final?

If so, Mancini was right to drop him for the final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Well if Courtois is brought back then ya we'd be fairly sorted for having the best G.K. options in the league.

Cant see Courtois coming back and sitting on the bench though and allowing Mignelot a chance to claim the Belgian number 1 jersey for the WC.
    He said last week he was staying at Atletico for another year .

Jax Teller wrote: »
    He said last week he was staying at Atletico for another year .

Chelsea havent confirmed it yet but Id be very surprised if he did come back, it was reported that chelsea wanted him to sign an extension of his contract before he goes off for another year.

As i said, he'll be 1st choice for Atletico next year and will get UCL experience as well as going to the WC 1st choice, which will make it easier to throw him in next year when hes back with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Manuel Pellegrini confirmed as Manchester City manager on three-year deal http://gu.com/p/3gtb8/tw via @guardian #mcfc

Moyes, Pelligrini, Mourinho.

Going to be an interesting season. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Moyes, Pelligrini, Mourinho.

Going to be an interesting season. :D
    Especially if all three crash and burn :D

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Especially if all three crash and burn :D

All experienced managers, they should be fine but maybe Pelligrini, given Joses and Moyers experience in England has the most work to do.

Time well tell though.

Advertisement