Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

GavRedKing wrote: »
    All experienced managers, they should be fine but maybe Pelligrini, given Joses and Moyers experience in England has the most work to do.

Time well tell though.

It was wishful thinking more than anything. Still, fingers crossed ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Moyes, Pelligrini, Mourinho.

Going to be an interesting season. :D

I think Moyes is the weakest of the three in a tactical sense. It's hard to talk of their respective motivational and man management abilities, but on the face of it, United are going into a Premier League season for the first time with a manager who's definitely not the best in the league. You'd be hard pressed to make a case that he's one of the three best managers in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Id reckon hes top 5 easily, but then his squad is the best in the league so that should hide any weakness for the first few seasons while he gets up to speed, especially in Europe but he has the squad to brillaint work and carry on Fergies winning ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I think Moyes is the weakest of the three in a tactical sense. It's hard to talk of their respective motivational and man management abilities, but on the face of it, United are going into a Premier League season for the first time with a manager who's definitely not the best in the league. You'd be hard pressed to make a case that he's one of the three best managers in the league.

Hard to assess Moyes until we see what he can do with United. He must be decent tactically to have always kept Everton competing for Europe with a small budget and squad and have they ever had a good striker?

Obviously at the moment the other two are more experienced and have a bit of an advantage. A big thing for Moyes i think is who becomes his assistant he could do with somebody experienced. The way City and Chelsea will spend unless United sort out the cm properly even under Ferguson 3rd is a big possibilty next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,591 ✭✭✭✭CSF

• Advertisement

Arsenal with Rooney would be a good outfit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Rooney and Arsenal is such a weird combination. I can't picture him as an Arsenal player at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Rooney and Arsenal is such a weird combination. I can't picture him as an Arsenal player at all.

pY9svEF.gif

Rooney is a footballer and Arsenal are a football team...seems legit to me:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Id reckon hes top 5 easily, but then his squad is the best in the league so that should hide any weakness for the first few seasons while he gets up to speed, especially in Europe but he has the squad to brillaint work and carry on Fergies winning ways.

Really I'd have Chelsea's and City's squad ahead of Uniteds. Especially if Chelsea go out and sign Cavani.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Arsenal with Rooney would be a good outfit.

I'm not so sure, as an Arsenal fan I really can't see it happening and of all the CF were being linked with he is the one I'd like least. Don't get me wrong I'd more than welcome him but he just wouldn't be my top target.

Really I'd have Chelsea's and City's squad ahead of Uniteds. Especially if Chelsea go out and sign Cavani.

At the moment United have the best squad which is why they won the league last year. Although City and Chelsea probably have a better starting 11.

I'm not so sure, as an Arsenal fan I really can't see it happening and of all the CF were being linked with he is the one I'd like least. Don't get me wrong I'd more than welcome him but he just wouldn't be my top target.

I mean it in no way disrespectful always admired Arsenal but at the moment their is no way Rooney is going to take a drop in class.

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I mean it in no way disrespectful always admired Arsenal but at the moment their is no way Rooney is going to take a drop in class.

None taken like I said I don't see it happening myself, never mind we have to make some quality signings and close the gap on City and United, Chelsea not so much barely finished ahead of this year and the year before were 3 places behind us I think Mourinho can steady that ship though.

But yeh I think if he does go it will be somewhere like PSG big money, new league, playing alongside the likes of Ibra. If he does move to Arsenal ill be shocked, plus im still hoping for Higuain who I think would suit us better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Nuts102 wrote: »

It might not be a choice though.

United aren't going to sell to Chelsea or City. It's just not going to happen (look at me, usually I give out about people talking in definitive like this :P). If he wants to keep playing in England, Aresnal might be the best team that United will let him sign for...

Well they won the league with that squad, I suppose we'll see how much influence Fergie not being at the helm will have on Utd over the coming months.

Well they won the league with that squad, I suppose we'll see how much influence Fergie not being at the helm will have on Utd over the coming months.

Yeh that's what I'm thinking Ferguson was a terrific manager who always seemed to get the best out of his squads, I do think Moyes is a good manager but not of the same caliber as Ferguson very few are, it will be interesting to see how he does.

I think Chelsea do have a stronger squad just been to busy shooting themselves in the foot really, but I'd expect Mourinho to sort that.

Now in an ideal world I hope they both self implode and Arsenal win the league but eh can't see that one happening really, I am hoping we can challenge this year though and Gazidis for once is telling the truth and we will see changes in Arsenals policy this summer and actually spend money.

Yeh that's what I'm thinking Ferguson was a terrific manager who always seemed to get the best out of his squads, I do think Moyes is a good manager but not of the same caliber as Ferguson very few are, it will be interesting to see how he does.

I think Chelsea do have a stronger squad just been to busy shooting themselves in the foot really, but I'd expect Mourinho to sort that.

Now in an ideal world I hope they both self implode and Arsenal win the league but eh can't see that one happening really, I am hoping we can challenge this year though and Gazidis for once is telling the truth and we will see changes in Arsenals policy this summer and actually spend money.

Moyes will always have Fergie for advice if he ever needs it but given the time I reckon he'll be a good replacement, Utd arent a Chelsea theyll stick by Moyes even if they falter and finish 3rd, they wont make a knee jerk reaction.

Didnt one of the board members say the money is there to spend, its up to Wenger to use it on who he wants??

Moyes will always have Fergie for advice if he ever needs it but given the time I reckon he'll be a good replacement, Utd arent a Chelsea theyll stick by Moyes even if they falter and finish 3rd, they wont make a knee jerk reaction.

Didnt one of the board members say the money is there to spend, its up to Wenger to use it on who he wants??

Yeh that was Gazidis in his annual Q&A with the Arsenal supporters trust last week, he basicallly admitted for years Wenger has been working under a tight budget due to the stadium. But that, that cloud is starting to lift and money is becoming available again and that Wenger now has money to spend as he see's fit.

He stated our model is to be like Bayern Munich with revenues of 300 million annually and were getting closer and closer to that mark, in the whole Q&A he was very open and honest and gave a lot of positive answers which has a lot of Arsenal fans hoping and thinking this could be the turning point finally. I think if it was a lie and a smokescreen come August there will be murder.

He also said the reason no transfer as of yet is because we are currently negotiating with clubs who have no manager which hinted at potential targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I've heard wenger has money to spend on the right player now for the last 5 seasons, just rehashed in different ways.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Looking at the numbers, there's absolutely no excuse now for Arsenal to not go out and sign the big name players needed to compete for the title.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I've heard wenger has money to spend on the right player now for the last 5 seasons, just rehashed in different ways.

Yeh we have heard it before but it was always said with a cloud of mystery behind, this years Q&A was a very different honest Gazidis with fans for once happy he was telling the truth being honest and not giving his politician smokescreen.

Although I do think he is unintentionally responsible for the Rooney rumours as he said we can now afford a Wayne Rooney. I think he was angling at we can now afford these type of players and not Wayne Rooney specifically.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Although I do think he is unintentionally responsible for the Rooney rumours as he said we can now afford a Wayne Rooney. I think he was angling at we can now afford these type of players and not Wayne Rooney specifically.
    Yep more or less.

The new shirt sponsorship deal alone is worth 25-30 million a year, which roughly speaking is enough to sign two £20-30 million players. The new kit deal comes into effect next summer and is worth roughly the same, plus there's the new TV money, various other smaller deals the club have quietly been accumulating and a bunch of dead weight being taken off the wage bill.

If we see more of the same old this summer, Wenger has to go.

• Advertisement

Even Ferguson would have done well to win the league next year. City and Chelsea will spend big and have better managers. Chelsea have the likes of Hazard and Oscar a year experience in the league extra. Add in a world class striker and defender and they will be very hard to stop.

United really need to improve the cm or they could be looking at 3rd. It's going to be a great battle for the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Think Chelsea have the worst of the three squads myself. United have been able to compensate for a lack of depth in central midfield with their firepower but I've felt that Chelsea's lack of a top-class distributor in a deeper area has cost them. Chelsea don't have strikers as good as United or City and neither is their centre half department as deep as the two Manchester clubs. This is all well open to change however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Whisper it quietly but if Arsenal keep up their momentum from 2nd half of last season and pick up 1-2 more players, they could be dark horses for the title next season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Whisper it quietly but if Arsenal keep up their momentum from 2nd half of last season and pick up 1-2 more players, they could be dark horses for the title next season.

They are the one team in the top 6 not undergoing a major overhaul at all levels. I'll keep saying it; Arsenal are the team to be scared of this season, since they won't have the same turmoil engulfing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Southampton sign Dejan Lovren from Olympique Lyonnais.
    https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/status/345631778888896512

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Yohan Cabaye has passed a medical at Monaco, according to L'Equipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Paully D wrote: »
    Yohan Cabaye has passed a medical at Monaco, according to L'Equipe.

He's off to Monaco? Awful pity for Newcastle, savage player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Rascasse wrote: »

Really good signing for them, wonder what his fee was.

Really good signing for them, wonder what his fee was.

£6.8m, according to the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/14/southampton-croatia-defender-dejan-lovren
    Southampton have signed the Lyon and Croatia defender Dejan Lovren on a four-year contract for £6.8m.

• Advertisement

They are the one team in the top 6 not undergoing a major overhaul at all levels. I'll keep saying it; Arsenal are the team to be scared of this season, since they won't have the same turmoil engulfing them.
    If Arsenal make a couple of good signings they should still be (just) a bit behind City, United and Chelsea. Chelsea are value for the PL in the bookies right now, they have the best XI IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If Arsenal make a couple of good signings they should still be (just) a bit behind City, United and Chelsea. Chelsea are value for the PL in the bookies right now, they have the best XI IMO.
    Oh I see negative Nelly is back. :rolleyes:

You're the worst Arsenal fan I've ever come across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Rascasse wrote: »

Youngish with lots of promise but also prone to error as well as yellow and red cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Quazzie wrote: »

Nothing wrong with what he said there?

I'll still be shocked if it happens, but a lot of Rooney to Arsenal talk today. Saying fee has been agreed between the clubs talks have taken place with Rooney and will continue next week when he returns from holiday.

Or maybe he is a bit more realistic than you.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

please be careful, that could be considered personal abuse or being a dick by some and could easily get reported. I'm not taking any mod action against you now but this is a warning that the above is unnecessary, let's play nice folks :cool:

Also, unless Arsenal do get Rooney, City and Chelsea are likely to sign even better players than Arsenal's improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

CSF wrote: »
    Also, unless Arsenal do get Rooney, City and Chelsea are likely to sign even better players than Arsenal's improvements.

Dunno about that. Say we get Higuain, who would City/Chelsea get better? Lewandowski I'd rate as similar, Cavani won't go there...who else is out there?

Dunno about that. Say we get Higuain, who would City/Chelsea get better? Lewandowski I'd rate as similar, Cavani won't go there...who else is out there?
    Lewandowski is definitely better than Higuain. Wouldn't be surprised to see Cavani end up at either of these clubs. Without intending to appear condescending, if Chelsea or City viewed Higuain as a better option than what they end up signing, they could probably nab him, given their spending power. Hulk also being linked with Chelsea. Both clubs will strengthen in other positions too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

CSF wrote: »
    Lewandowski is definitely better than Higuain.
    Is he? Over the last two years yes but Higuain's had phenomenal seasons (most of the last six) while not even starting half of the games. I'd rate Lewandowski as a better player at the moment, but there's very little difference.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Cavani end up at either of these clubs. Without intending to appear condescending, if Chelsea or City viewed Higuain as a better option than what they end up signing, they could probably nab him, given their spending power.
    Didn't Cavani say he's not going just yesterday? I can unfortunately see City or Chelsea nabbing Hig, unfortunately.
    Hulk also being linked with Chelsea. Both clubs will strengthen in other positions too.
    They can have him, would much rather Higuain. Particularly at the prices being touted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Lewandowski's a level above Higuain. More mobile, links better with other players.

Rafael Hernández ‏@RafaelH117 1m
    BREAKING: I can confirm Isco has agreed terms with Manchester City and is set to sign after the U21s.

What a signing that would be, and they could get this chant going:

580699_168978686611478_1507832095_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Lewandowski's a level above Higuain. More mobile, links better with other players.

Yup, spot on man ;)

I don't think Higuain likes playing with other players, he should probably stay at Madrid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

That would be a serious coup for City. Best young player in the world right now for me. Makes sense given manager link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Rekop dog wrote: »
    That would be a serious coup for City. Best young player in the world right now for me. Makes sense given manager link.

That would be sick - on top of Yaya, Aguero, Silva and Navas? And I still think they will sign another striker in place of Mario (Dzeko isn't it)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

is suarez still a cheeky legend or have liverpool supporters started to change their mind?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Dickerty wrote: »
    That would be sick - on top of Yaya, Aguero, Silva and Navas? And I still think they will sign another striker in place of Mario (Dzeko isn't it)...

Looks pretty good:

abEYFksalN.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Dickerty wrote: »

and that would probaby also take them past the €100million mark for the summer, which is just sickening and gives two fingers to this farcical FFP set up.

surely they will have to sell a few players? can see them signing a defender also and if Panti leaves, they will need a back up keeper perhaps.

who else is supposed to be leaving City anyway? Toure is gone i think, would expect maybe Sinclair to go, though that would then start to see them being under pressure with the homegrown rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

and that would probaby also take them past the €100million mark for the summer, which is just sickening and gives two fingers to this farcical FFP set up.

surely they will have to sell a few players? can see them signing a defender also and if Panti leaves, they will need a back up keeper perhaps.

who else is supposed to be leaving City anyway? Toure is gone i think, would expect maybe Sinclair to go, though that would then start to see them being under pressure with the homegrown rule.

Kolo is gone, Tevez, Dzeko, Barry and Sinclair all linked to leave. Nasri will most likely be moved on if we aquire Isco.

As for the homegrown rule, it will leave 7 out of the required 8 at the club if Barry and Sinclair move on. Hopefully Barry will stay, but he has only a year left on his contract and Spurs are interested.

Hart, Wright, Richards, Clichy, Lescot, Milner, Rodwell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement