Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

elefant wrote: »
    A number of times :P He's also posted videos of himself having a Tom Hank on webcam, been pictured in rival teams' jerseys, ran himself over with his car at a petrol station...

but when he's on form (and he has been these past few months) he's phenomenal.

Jasus he sounds the type of player I'd hope any team I followed would go out of there way to avoid signing. Sounds like he would be more hassle than he's worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

cson wrote: »
    Banega's the lad that turned up to training scuttered isn't he?

Yep and got his leg ran over by his own car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Banega, a player I would have loved us to sign a few seasons back, not so much anymore though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

A number of times :P He's also posted videos of himself having a Tom Hank on webcam, been pictured in rival teams' jerseys, ran himself over with his car at a petrol station...

Inspired by Ashley Young no doubt!!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

He makes Ballotelli look sane !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Lambert at Villa is making some decent signings that you wouldn't usually see a PL club make. Tonev, Okore and now Helenius.
    Okore looks very promising and Helenius is decent, although I'd have signed Cornelius instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Just on twitter where supposedly Bernards agent says Dortmund have not submitted a bid and Spurs are the only contenders to sign his client.

Then I look into it and it all stems from one tweet by someone with no quotes or source linked I mean it's like reading the Daily mail what is the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Oat23 wrote: »
    Lambert at Villa is making some decent signings that you wouldn't usually see a PL club make. Tonev, Okore and now Helenius.
    Okore looks very promising and Helenius is decent, although I'd have signed Cornelius instead.

I think Tonev will prove to be a shrewd signing aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jasus he sounds the type of player I'd hope any team I followed would go out of there way to avoid signing. Sounds like he would be more hassle than he's worth.

Where's your sense of fun?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Where's your sense of fun?

Don't get me wrong I'd love a player like that in EPL for the entertainment factor just not at a club I followed ;).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Richard Buxton ‏@Richard_Buxton_ 14m #LFC doing better out of the Andy Carroll saga than first thought with his #WHUFC switch worth up to £19.5M

:eek:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Carroll going to West Ham on wages of 100K for between 15.5m and 19.5m is actually far worse than Liverpool paying 35m for him given that he's been injury prone and **** since they bought him and seemed decent before they bought him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Carroll going to West Ham on wages of 100K for between 15.5m and 19.5m is actually far worse than Liverpool paying 35m for him given that he's been injury prone and **** since they bought him and seemed decent before they bought him.

Nah it would take something else to beat the clusterfúck that was the last moments of that Jan window when we forked out £35mil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Oat23 wrote: »

Supposedly Cornelius was enquired about but they couldn't get him coz of price or whatever.

As for Carroll to West Ham, it's actually bonkers if the length of contract and wages are true.
    He'd need to be putting in high quality performances every week for that and staying injury free. But whatever he does west ham can't afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

That's pretty respectable damage limitation from LFC.

Crazy wages if they're true.

If there's a "loyalty bonus" of a few million and he hasn't asked for a transfer then maybe some of it's covering that. Still mental money though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

PSG have made some enquiries about Gareth Bale according to a relatively reliable source. Still very much exploratory enquiries.
    Bale and AVB? That would be fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

greendom wrote: »
    Bale and AVB? That would be fun

Daniel Levy will prob squeeze PSG for 100million anchelotti and ibra if he was too lose those two!ha ha

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

Yahoo had a rumour up that Barca and Bayern are interested in Laurent Koscielny.

• Advertisement

Yahoo had a rumour up that Barca and Bayern are interested in Laurent Koscielny.

I know Pep has been reportedly a fan of Koscielny ever since the Arsenal v Barca game a couple of years ago.

But I don't think it will happen this summer anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Leiva wrote: »
    Nah it would take something else to beat the clusterfúck that was the last moments of that Jan window when we forked out £35mil.
    Torres to Chelsea for £50million;)

Torres has at least contributed to the silverware Chelsea have won since though so, yeah...........

That Carroll transfer will take a lot of beating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

kryogen wrote: »
    Torres has at least contributed to the silverware Chelsea have won since though so, yeah...........

That Carroll transfer will take a lot of beating

exactly, that Carroll deal will go down as the worst transfer in the history of football IMO. for all of Torres faults, he has 34 goals (Carroll has 11) and Chelsea have won 3 trophies since they signed him.

Liverpool however are seriously mugging West Ham, he aint worth 10million IMO, if even that. he scored 7 goals last season FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

exactly, that Carroll deal will go down as the worst transfer in the history of football IMO. for all of Torres faults, he has 34 goals (Carroll has 11) and Chelsea have won 3 trophies since they signed him.

Liverpool however are seriously mugging West Ham, he aint worth 10million IMO, if even that. he scored 7 goals last season FFS.
    How much did Veron cost Man United?

West Ham deserved to be mugged if they're paying 20m for him. It is only their second season back in the league, could backfire.

Carroll almost scored a header v Chelsea in the FA cup final last season, could have went part of the way back to making the transfer seem less foolish.

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »

Less then Andy Carroll cost Liverpool (scored more goals too I believe)

Won a trophy or two also funnily enough

All in all unsuccessful transfer overall? Yep

Bad as Carroll? Having a laugh

West Ham deserved to be mugged if they're paying 20m for him. It is only their second season back in the league, could backfire.

Carroll almost scored a header v Chelsea in the FA cup final last season, could have went part of the way back to making the transfer seem less foolish.

Not sure where the 20mil came from, but for what its worth sky still reporting that its 15 mil

Less then Andy Carroll cost Liverpool (scored more goals too I believe)

Won a trophy or two also funnily enough

All in all unsuccessful transfer overall? Yep

Bad as Carroll? Having a laugh
    He cost £28 million in 2001 so with inflation I would imagine he cost considerably more than Carroll.
    Won a trophy as a passenger in the United team but if you want to quantify that as a success carry on by all means :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Bought for 28million, resold for 15million. Veron, while never reaching the heights of his Lazio days, was no where near as bad as people made out.

he was excellent in his second season where United won the league, played over 80 games in 2 seasons and helped United reach a champions league semi, a league cup final and won a league in those 2 seasons.

He cost £28 million in 2001 so with inflation I would imagine he cost considerably more than Carroll.
    Won a trophy as a passenger in the United team but if you want to quantify that as a success carry on by all means :)

I think you should probably read my response again.

You seem to have missed a major point in there

Also, he was far from a passenger.

I guess Ronaldo isn't the most expensive footballer ever either, since we have to take inflation into it?

Edit: cause Im weird like that, I checked it out, and I don't think he would have cost much more even accounting for inflation! I got that he would have cost 35.5million

• Advertisement

Not sure where the 20mil came from, but for what its worth sky still reporting that its 15 mil
    The West Ham owners broke down the fee earlier themselves as something like £15 million is the basic fee with approx £2.5 million in add ons and the £2million loan fee they paid Liverpool for last season works out at nearly £20million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Veron was immense at Lazio before he came to United.

Was a wanted player.

Comparing Veron and Carroll is beyond a joke.

The West Ham owners broke down the fee earlier themselves as something like £15 million is the basic fee with approx £2.5 million in add ons and the £2million loan fee they paid Liverpool for last season works out at nearly £20million

Why are they going to include last years loan fee as part of the transfer fee?

Regardless, if they are going to pay that kind of money for him they are insane, deserve what they will get and Liverpool are doing very well out of it somehow

Was a wanted player.

Veron was an amazing player, he would be unbelievable in the current United team imo, but he wasn't used right/just bad timing

Was a wanted player.

So did Man United get value for the money spent on him?

Who cares, this is a rumours thread. :D:D:D:D:)

Considering the fee re couped it was alright really. Been far worse transfers in the history of the game.....

Which brings us back nicely to Andy Carroll ;)

/off topicness?

Why are they going to include last years loan fee as part of the transfer fee?

Regardless, if they are going to pay that kind of money for him they are insane, deserve what they will get and Liverpool are doing very well out of it somehow
    I suppose because it's money recouped on the initial transfer fee Liverpool paid.
    Is Carroll a terrible piece of business over all by Liverpool? Of course he was.
    I'm not sure if he's the worst though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is Man Utds big summer signing David Moyes?

mike65 wrote: »

We're only in June yet ;)

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Certainly the most important one yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Bebe the homless guy that utd paid 10mill for and played about 5 games was the worst signing ever

shamrock55 wrote: »
    1Bebe the homless guy that utd 2paid 10mill for and 3played about 5 games 4was the worst signing ever

Few things wrong with this post ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Christ is this thread anything else but a Utd/Pool bitchfest, Title should be changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You lads should have known you can't criticise anything Liverpool without it turning into a find the worst thing United have done in that area turnaround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If Liverpool can manage to get 20million for Carroll it will be superb business,he is worth about 10million.Carroll is probably the worst signing ever in the EPL.
    WTF are West Ham thinking,absolute madness to spend that on him,I thought Big Sam had more cop on than that.

Certainly the most important one yeah

If United do get Thiago as the rumours are suggesting may happen be a brilliant signing for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Few things wrong with this post ken

Well he was homless at one point he was asked to play in the national homelss team but refused ok he cost 9 mill and played 7 games do you follow ufc btw

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Well he was homless at one point he was asked to play in the national homelss team but refused ok he cost 9 mill and played 7 games do you follow ufc btw

How did you look it up but still get the fee wrong? :confused:

• Advertisement

If United do get Thiago as the rumours are suggesting may happen be a brilliant signing for them.

Could be yeah, but the signing of the successor to Fergie is still and will be the major signing this summer.

Advertisement