Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Well he was homless at one point he was asked to play in the national homelss team but refused ok he cost 9 mill and played 7 games do you follow ufc btw
    He was never homeless and he never played for the national homeless team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

yabadabado wrote: »
    If Liverpool can manage to get 20million for Carroll it will be superb business,he is worth about 10million.Carroll is probably the worst signing ever in the EPL.
    WTF are West Ham thinking,absolute madness to spend that on him,I thought Big Sam had more cop on than that.

Not Really a mad signing because Carroll on form can be quite a handful and he will only need to produce the goods a few times a year to help West Ham stay up . I would say Big Sam wants a team that can finish midtable comfortably first and then maybe look to push on in a few years when they are a solid premier league club .
    I mean West Ham where relegated 2 years ago and are probably trying to make sure that never happens again and if Carroll is key to this then it makes good business sense .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Not a transfer but Capello is meant to be heading to PSG on a 12 month deal(he'll keep the russian job though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Think Carroll is worth a lot to a team like West Ham. He is the perfect focal point for their style of play. A lesser side playing direct football with Andy Carroll in their team goes along way to ensuring their survival imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

kryogen wrote: »
    Could be yeah, but the signing of the successor to Fergie is still and will be the major signing this summer.

dont agree here at all...filling in huge gaps that were neglected in the past 5 years is bigger than replacing fergie IMO....our first 11 is not in anyway as strong as he said it was.

having 2 world class CM's will improve the team and help to soften the effect of him leaving. solving the mess he left with Rooney and Nani wanting to go/being forced out also is more important IMO. the club has to move on, we cant just wallow in who is no longer with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Not Really a mad signing because Carroll on form can be quite a handful and he will only need to produce the goods a few times a year to help West Ham stay up . I would say Big Sam wants a team that can finish midtable comfortably first and then maybe look to push on in a few years when they are a solid premier league club .
    I mean West Ham where relegated 2 years ago and are probably trying to make sure that never happens again and if Carroll is key to this then it makes good business sense .
    Thats the problem tho ,they look to be spending 20 million on an average player.They would be much better to spend that 20 million on 2 or 3 players than on Carroll.Carroll managed 7 EPL goals last year and 4 the previous year,wouldnt fill me with confidence that he could be the difference in keeping them out of trouble.I actually think west ham will be OK again this year and should be looking for better players than Carroll to push onto the next level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

dont agree here at all...filling in huge gaps that were neglected in the past 5 years is bigger than replacing fergie IMO....our first 11 is not in anyway as strong as he said it was.

having 2 world class CM's will improve the team and help to soften the effect of him leaving. solving the mess he left with Rooney and Nani wanting to go/being forced out also is more important IMO. the club has to move on, we cant just wallow in who is no longer with us.

Come on, how can any player signing be more important then the signing of the great mans replacement?

Nothing was bigger then choosing Fergies replacement. Stunned you would think otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

kryogen wrote: »
    Come on, how can any player signing be more important then the signing of the great mans replacement?

Nothing was bigger then choosing Fergies replacement. Stunned you would think otherwise

Moyes is already in and he takes over a squad where two of our best attacking players are rumoured to leave and we have a CM that is depending on the form of Carrick.

fergie leaving is done and dusted....we need to move on. top players help clubs to win things. the perceived reduction in Fergie influence, can be negated by top class players or more to the point, the right one...its simple logic.

Fergie had a tendancy to get the best out of average players like O Shea, Brown, Park etc etc, all of them have regressed severly. if we signed top class players (look at RVP for example), they can win games on their own.

addressing the CM problem is Uniteds biggest challenge in 2013, im convinced with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree on it I suppose, though I feel your misinterpreting what Im saying judging by your response!

Most important guy at a football club is the manager, everything else must follow him. Probably in the wrong thread for this anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

if Carroll is actually on ~£100k at West Ham then someone deserves to get the sack, fúcking hell. £15 odd million is too much but I could stomach that if I was a hammer... the £100k per week... not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yeah £100k is a huge amount especially considering he'll likely miss 15+ games a season with injury.

As others have said, it's a lot of money but he is still young and if he starts finding the net again like he did at Newcastle then it's not out of the question that they could sell him at a profit in a couple of years. He's also the perfect striker for the system that West Ham now play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

You'll see alot more mediocre players get 100k+ in the EPL with the new TV deal. Clubs will waste most of the extra income on player wages rather than grassroots level and reducing ticket prices to their fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Dempsey wrote: »
    You'll see alot more mediocre players get 100k+ in the EPL with the new TV deal. Clubs will waste most of the extra income on player wages rather than grassroots level and reducing ticket prices to their fans.

Whilst that's true I'm not sure it's the case here. Do we have any idea what Carroll was on at Liverpool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Was part of the new Premier league FFP rules that were brought in not to limit wage inflation specifically from the new tv deal?

While commercial income growth was allowed to go on wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Liam O wrote: »
    You lads should have known you can't criticise anything Liverpool without it turning into a find the worst thing United have done in that area turnaround.
    So people aren't allowed disagree? Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Was part of the new Premier league FFP rules that were brought in not to limit wage inflation specifically from the new tv deal?

While commercial income growth was allowed to go on wages.

Only a piss poor accountant wouldnt be able to get around those things :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

amiable wrote: »
    So people aren't allowed disagree? Cool

Disagreeing is fine. But turning into a playground-style bitchfest of "Yeah but your one was worse than our one, so it doesn't even matter" like people from both sides do all too often is fúcking retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Baldini appointed as technical director at Spurs

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/latest-news.page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The nightmare has finally ended.

mike65 wrote: »

lmao i can't believe he got a pay rise rather than a cut. £100k is too steep for Carroll though, I'd benchmark him against someone like Steven Fletcher who is on around £35k/week. Even if the new TV deal means more inflated wages he isn't worth anywhere near £100k, that's actually ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

jive wrote: »
    lmao i can't believe he got a pay rise rather than a cut. £100k is too steep for Carroll though, I'd benchmark him against someone like Steven Fletcher who is on around £35k/week. Even if the new TV deal means more inflated wages he isn't worth anywhere near £100k, that's actually ridiculous.

While his wages are inflated I think he is worth more than £35k/week. I don't think it is unreasonable for him to be on £60/70k/week. He is a better player than alot give him credit for and was under too much pressure with his £35m price tag. I think he will do very well at West Ham, and if he stays injury free should easily achieve 15+ goals next season for them.

(Is an early pick in my FPL team atm with that move)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Thiago teases everybody with a picture of him with the match ball and a scribble saying "Nos vemos en Manchester". Nailed on to United, no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Thiago teases everybody with a picture of him with the match ball and a scribble saying "Nos vemos en Manchester". Nailed on to United, no doubt.

As Mitch Connor indicated in the United thread, it could have been Isco and he could be on his way to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I'm pretty sure he'll be staying with us for at least another season..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It is a lot of money for West Ham to be paying for a player, but I don't think it is astronomical for Carroll, if Liverpool had originally paid 20 it would have been closer to the mark.

I hope it works out for him, he is a decent player. Far from the donkey he is sometimes made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Is that Andy Carroll 100k a week confirmed yes? Absolute madness, he must be laughing at another outrageous transfer on his head..

Sure he'll be decent for route 1 West Ham but not worth anything near that money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

will be an effective player for the hammers if he avoids the nagging injuries, all the best buckoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Thecon21 wrote: »
    Is that Andy Carroll 100k a week confirmed yes? Absolute madness, he must be laughing at another outrageous transfer on his head..

Sure he'll be decent for route 1 West Ham but not worth anything near that money.

And too make matters worse they gave him a 6 year deal...
    100k x 52 x 6 = alot more then hes worth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Juventus bought the remaining half of Asamoah that Udinese owned today for €9m . Paid 18m in total for him .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Juventus bought the remaining half of Asamoah that Udinese owned today for €9m . Paid 18m in total for him .

Not far off his value in fairness.

While his wages are inflated I think he is worth more than £35k/week. I don't think it is unreasonable for him to be on £60/70k/week. He is a better player than alot give him credit for and was under too much pressure with his £35m price tag. I think he will do very well at West Ham, and if he stays injury free should easily achieve 15+ goals next season for them.

(Is an early pick in my FPL team atm with that move)

You think Carroll is worth £70k a week and a 6 year contract? He has 13 goals in his last 68 games. He's not worth any more than £50k, his injury record and performances indicate this. He's known for slacking with his diet and drinking. Nolan is on half of what Carroll is on, is nearly always fit and at West Ham he has roughly the same goals return per game as Carroll.

He's a better player than people give him credit for but I don't know how anyone can argue against it being an atrocious negotiation from West Ham's point of view. Berbatov cost £5m and is on about £100k a week (and only a 2 year deal I believe, granted he's older), so there's a benchmark of a proven premier league goalscorer and frontman for a club in a similar position to West Ham. It blows my mind that you think Carroll is worth anywhere that much. A massive gamble on a massive contract and it's an incredibly poor piece of business by West Ham. I doubt anyone else would pay that much for Carroll nevermind the wage. I also doubt he's capable of staying injury free and getting over 15 goals next season.

I don't have anything against Carroll either, I hope he does well, it just baffles me that West Ham would pay so much over the odds especially when he's not even wanted at Liverpool (i.e. they could surely get him at a lower price if the club wants rid). Me thinks the £35m price tag paid some Januaries ago played a role in this transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Mars Bar wrote: »
    As Mitch Connor indicated in the United thread, it could have been Isco and he could be on his way to City.

Yeah but it's the match ball Thiago got everyone to sign because he scored a hat trick I think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Paulinhio has looked good so far for Brazil in the confederations cup.

Looks less able defensively than sandro but better going forward could be great in the middle of AVBs favoured 4-3-3 with Sandro and Dembele.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Joe Kinnear has got to work quickly .
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/8782638/Transfer-News-Douglas-won-t-be-moving-to-Newcastle-United
    Sky Sports understands that Newcastle United have pulled out of a deal to sign Dutch defender Douglas.

The Brazilian-born stopper has long been on Newcastle's radar, and a move was close to being finalised, with a deal due to be concluded this week.

Douglas is available on a free transfer after leaving FC Twente, and an agreement with Newcastle was on the cards.

However, the 25-year-old will now not be moving to St James' Park and Sky Sports understands that the decision was made by new director of football Joe Kinnear.

Kinnear has wasted little time in stamping his authority on the transfer policy at Newcastle, as Douglas's representatives - who were due to fly to England on Thursday - have been informed the club will no longer be pursuing the deal.

It is understood Kinnear has already identified other defensive targets for the club to move for this summer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

jamc wrote: »
    Yeah but it's the match ball Thiago got everyone to sign because he scored a hat trick I think?

As in, Isco might have written the message rather than David De Gea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Jax Teller wrote: »

Hopefully more stories like this emerge, could get hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

He cancelled a free transfer of Douglas? What a fool!

HSV really need a CB, I'll be delighted if Douglas can be persuaded to join.

I read that he was supposed to be going to Newcastle or Russia, so he might just go there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Obviously Joe has some master plan and will unveil Thiago Silva in the coming days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Hearing Jong il Gwan might be back on now Kinnear is at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Liam O wrote: »
    Obviously Joe has some master plan and will unveil Thiago Silva Titus Bramble in the coming days.
    Fixed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

We'll see Richard Dunne rocking up at Newcastle shortly no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

JPA wrote: »

Wasn't Kenny Cunningham at Wimbledon

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

GTR63 wrote: »
    Wasn't Kenny Cunningham at Wimbledon

Doesn't start til next week man....

;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

JPA wrote: »

Carlton Cole should be on his way there too.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

And Jermaine Pennant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

And Jermaine Pennant

he signed on at Stoke again

• Advertisement
Advertisement