Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Daily Mail (I know) claiming Spurs are set to sign Paulinho for £17m from Corinthians.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2345401/Tottenham-set-sign-Paulinho-17million-Corinthians.html?ico=sport%5Eheadlines

They seem very sure with the wording they are using.

Sandro & Paulinho together behind Dembele could be one powerful trio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Daily Mail (I know) claiming Spurs are set to sign Paulinho for £17m from Corinthians.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2345401/Tottenham-set-sign-Paulinho-17million-Corinthians.html?ico=sport%5Eheadlines

They seem very sure with the wording they are using.

Sandro & Paulinho together behind Dembele could be one powerful trio.

SSN now going with the same story.

Corinthians have confirmed that negotiations are gathering pace with Tottenham regarding the transfer of Paulinho.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/8787465/Transfer-news-Brazil-star-Paulinho-set-to-make-Tottenham-transfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool complete Luis Alberto deal, Mignolet deal agreed and will join up next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Leiva wrote: »

Madrid or Manchester, bit of a no brainer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Dempsey wrote: »
    Madrid or Manchester, bit of a no brainer

Can't argue with that.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

Barcelona will soon announce the transfer of goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen (21), who'll continue at Monchengladbach for another year.
    Looks like Reina won't be leaving Liverpool so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

That Spurs midfield is stupidly good already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Barcelona will soon announce the transfer of goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen (21), who'll continue at Monchengladbach for another year.

Please let this be true. Although I really want to see Valdes go this year for something, rather than letting his contract run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Have Monaco signed a keeper yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Drenthe to Reading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

That's a brilliant signing for Spurs and for a decent fee aswell. Have seen Paulinho play 10+ times for Brazil, not far off Yaya toure in standard and a lot younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

baz2009 wrote: »
    Disagreeing is fine. But turning into a playground-style bitchfest of "Yeah but your one was worse than our one, so it doesn't even matter" like people from both sides do all too often is fúcking retarded.
    You set out the rules for debate next time. Thanks

City's interest in Suarez seems to be going to go up a level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Anyone that's seen Cavani play regularly will agree that the 54m price tag is absolute madness, thankfully City have a bit of sense not to meet it. Such an over hyped player, blows hot and cold more than Rooney and Nani put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Montroseee wrote: »
    Anyone that's seen Cavani play regularly will agree that the 54m price tag is absolute madness, thankfully City have a bit of sense not to meet it. Such an over hyped player, blows hot and cold more than Rooney and Nani put together.
    disagree
    he's very consistent for Napoli
    great goalscorer,good with both feet,good pace & very good work rate
    he's one of the best striker's in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

He's been great consistantly for Napoli but hasn't done well with Uruguay as he's played wide for them as often as through the middle. He has great work rate and is a good finisher. Comparing him to Nani is absolute madness altogether. After City spent 30+ on a 28yr old I wouldn't blame Napoli looking for that off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Anyone who has only watched Cavani play in the Confederations Cup will agree that the 54m price tag is absolute madness, thankfully City have a bit of sense not to meet it. Such an over hyped player, blows hot and cold more than Rooney and Nani put together.

FYP

78 league goals in 104 league games in the most difficult top league to score in (Serie A has the lowest average goals per game in the top 4 leagues) is amazing. Couple this with the fact that he's sloppy from penalties and gets most of his goals from play and that he is often rested against the weaker teams and you can take these stats to the bank.

The Uruguay system of play doesn't suit him.

IMO, He would become Manchester City's best player if they bought him. He turns up in the big games and his work rate is also second to none.

Have watched him week in, week out for 3 years straight. The man is an immense footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

FYP

78 league goals in 104 league games in the most difficult top league to score in (Serie A has the lowest average goals per game in the top 4 leagues) is amazing. Couple this with the fact that he's sloppy from penalties and gets most of his goals...

Or maybe it's just a shít league. Not one single player from the Serie A in last year's Champions League top goalscorers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_UEFA_Champions_League#Statistics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Or maybe it's just a shít league. Not one single player from the Serie A in last year's Champions League top goalscorers.

That means.... nothing.

Juve for instance had 8 different scorers in the group stage, which they won, with the best goal difference, and 4 different scorers in the round of 16. They then lost to the future champions in the quarters.

Italian teams certainly didn't perform as well as they should have in the champions league this year, but having the goals shared out rather than scored by just 1 or 2 isn't a mark of a poor league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    That means.... nothing.

Juve for instance had 8 different scorers in the group stage, which they won, with the best goal difference, and 4 different scorers in the round of 16. They then lost to the future champions in the quarters.

Italian teams certainly didn't perform as well as they should have in the champions league this year, but having the goals shared out rather than scored by just 1 or 2 isn't a mark of a poor league.

It does mean something, it means there's only one good forward in the Serie A. As you can see from this link, Cavani is streets ahead of the rest of them, with second place being a 35-year-old.

If Monaco do well in the Champions League in the future, it will be safe to assume the Serie A is the 5th-best league in Europe. I'll retract my "shít league" statement, but to say the Italian league is up there with the rest of them, would be absolute bollocks.

Oh, your point about Juventus in Champions League is invalid seeing as their group was crap considering Chelsea were poor at the first half of the season and Juventus drew at home to Shaktar after Shaktar scored the first goal. Then the following week, they nearly bottled it against some minnow from Norway if it wasn't for a goal 9 minutes from time to rescue a point. In Juventus' last game, on own goal was the only goal that secured them top of the group - if they had have lost that game, they would have be playing in the Europa League. Very silly of you to point out they won the group even though it was by the skin of their teeth.

You need to get over your Serie A romanticism and do your homework.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

It does mean something, it means there's only one good forward in the Serie A. As you can see from this link, Cavani is streets ahead of the rest of them, with second place being a 35-year-old.

You clearly watch feck all Italian football if you think this is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If Monaco do well in the Champions League in the future, it will be safe to assume the Serie A is the 5th-best league in Europe. I'll retract my "shít league" statement, but to say the Italian league is up there with the rest of them, would be absolute bollocks.

Oh, your point about Juventus in Champions League is invalid seeing as their group was crap considering Chelsea were poor at the first half of the season and Juventus drew at home to Shaktar after Shaktar scored the first goal. Then the following week, they nearly bottled it against some minnow from Norway if it wasn't for a goal 9 minutes from time to rescue a point. In Juventus' last game, on own goal was the only goal that secured them top of the group - if they had have lost that game, they would have be playing in the Europa League. Very silly of you to point out they won the group even though it was by the skin of their teeth.

Juventus group in the CL was one of the hardest groups
    Serie A is still cleary ahead of Ligue 1
    AC Milan i believe will be a force again too
    lots of very good young players Balotelli,El Shaarawy,De Scilio & Niang

:eek:

That is one of the worst arguments I've ever read! So, aside from Oscar's amazing ability to score countless goals, the Premiership is a "shít league" as well?
    It does mean something, it means there's only one good forward in the Serie A.

Balotelli, Di Natale, Stevan Jovetic are all top class.

Rodrigo Palacio, Miroslav Klose, German Denis, Giampaolo Pazzini and Pablo Osvaldo are all quite good.

And then there are the other great attacking players like El Shaarawy, Marek Hamsik and Erik Lamela that contribute with goals as well to take away from the workload.

For example, El Shaarawy scored 16 league goals from play, Pazzini scored 15 despite playing very few games and Balotelli score 12 after joining in January. Does the fact that Milan didn't rely on 1 man make them all terrible players? Absolutely not and to say otherwise is ridiculous.

It will take more than one team doing well in the Champions League to raise the coefficient. If Italian teams would put more effort into the Europa League instead of resting players, it would raise their own coefficient.

There's so much wrong with that I wouldn't even know where to start. Bizarre comment.

Another Premiership fanboy who can't deal with the fact his team is playing in a degrading league that has moved from being the top league, and is heading to being the 3rd top very soon. I'll guess a United fan with their golden traitor boy RVP.

Every thing you've said about the Serie A applies to the Premiership as well. Ah well though - "The Premiership is the most exciting league in the world" and all that... There's another name for that, it's called not being able to defend ;)

The Premiership is so far ahead of Series A to be fair so I don't know why you're even bringing it up in that argument.

I would prefer to watch Bundesliga and La Liga and I think Bayern, Dortmund and Schalke, and Barca, Real and Atleti are superior to United, City and Chelsea but I think after that the other 17 Premiership teams are actually getting stronger every year and would be a good deal better than their German and Spanish equivalents.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    The Premiership is so far ahead of Series A to be fair so I don't know why you're even bringing it up in that argument.

I would prefer to watch Bundesliga and La Liga and I think Bayern, Dortmund and Schalke, and Barca, Real and Atleti are superior to United, City and Chelsea but I think after that the other 17 Premiership teams are actually getting stronger every year and would be a good deal better than their German and Spanish equivalents.

I agree it's a better league as a whole. It's more the manner in which most United/City/Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool fans go on about it as though it is by far the best league going. It's more a matter of opinion I think.

This all came from my point that the Serie A was the hardest of the "top 4" leagues to score in which, statistically, it is and many pundits agree on this. The Serie A may not have the best football or the best players but, tactically, it is the most advanced league in the world and it is renown for being difficult to score in.

Any player who scores 29 league goals in a season in Italy is a very, very good player.

I agree it's a better league as a whole. It's more the manner in which most United/City/Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool fans go on about it as though it is by far the best league going. It's more a matter of opinion I think.

This all came from my point that the Serie A was the hardest of the "top 4" leagues to score in which, statistically, it is and many pundits agree on this. The Serie A may not have the best football or the best players but, tactically, it is the most advanced league in the world and it is renown for being difficult to score in.

Any player who scores 29 league goals in a season in Italy is a very, very good player.

I certainly don't disagree with the gist of your point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

When I was a lad, Italy was the place for the best football. Teams like Napoli, Juve, Milan, Inter all dominated, sadly no more
    the Italian league is definitely behind England, Spain and Germany now. Could soon be behind France if the likes of PSG keep investing and others.

When I was a lad, Italy was the place for the best football. Teams like Napoli, Juve, Milan, Inter all dominated, sadly no more
    the Italian league is definitely behind England, Spain and Germany now. Could soon be behind France if the likes of PSG keep investing and others.

PSG and Monaco alone can't make the league strong, they will improve the coefficient for definite IMO, but that is something different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hopefully not. While it was no fun for few years seeing United being unable to break Italian team in Europe in 90's always had top respect for Italian clubs in particular Juve,Inter and Napoli.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

CSF wrote: »

A BIG problem La Liga has is the that the other 17 teams in the league are so far behind that its uncompetitive and its hard to watch Barca beat the likes of Rayo by 4 without breaking a sweat. Nobody there has money either so they just end up consistently selling their best players too to the big 2 or worse for the league overseas.
    If you had the money there or in Italy that you do in England i`d bet my life that it`d be a better league, as the spanish sides are lightyears ahead of the PL teams in bringing through their youth. I`m not a big believer of the competition in England either about 6 teams deserved the drop this year tbh. In the PL the last 20 years you had United, Arsenal, Liverpool(who only gave a right good go at the league 1 time in that time) and then sugar daddy clubs. As for the Bundesliga I feel that the clubs there are risk assertive and Bayern are such a big fish there they just took Gotze from Dortmund like it was nothing.
    Oh and Di Natale ain`t just some 34 year old :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Isco to Real Madrid is a done deal according to Marca.

http://www.marca.com/2013/06/22/en/football/real_madrid/1371884353.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Gustavo Poyet just sacked as Brighton manager!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23022212

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

DenMan wrote: »
    Gustavo Poyet just sacked as Brighton manager!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23022212

Is he the first manager to be sacked whilst on tv?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Is he the first manager to be sacked whilst on tv?!

I don't know! What station is he on? Neither ITV or BBC have the game on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

DenMan wrote: »
    I don't know! What station is he on? Neither ITV or BBC have the game on!

He's on Bbc3 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Well that was awkward! Saw someone on Twitter saying that Geoff Shreeves must be gutted that the game wasn't on Sky!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Johner wrote: »
    Isco to Real Madrid is a done deal according to Marca.

http://www.marca.com/2013/06/22/en/football/real_madrid/1371884353.html

Bit funny this move given what he (Isco) said about Real a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Well that was awkward! Saw someone on Twitter saying that Geoff Shreeves must be gutted that the game wasn't on Sky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

What was he sacked over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

What was he sacked over?

Poopin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Curtis Davies will sign for Hull tomorrow for 2.25 million. Nathan Redmond will be the next player out at Birmingham, for around 2-3 million, absolute bargain for whichever PL team picks him up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

miralize wrote: »
    Poopin'

Was it poyet done that in the Palace room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Bit funny this move given what he (Isco) said about Real a few years ago.

what he say?

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Lucas Barrios & Guangzhou Evergrande have agreed to mutually terminate his contract. He wants to return to Germany.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Oat23 wrote: »
    Lucas Barrios & Guangzhou Evergrande have agreed to mutually terminate his contract. He wants to return to Germany.

Could be a good signing for a lot of clubs, I'd actually like if Milan put in an offer for him, would be a good player to have along side Balo, SES, Niang and Pazzini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Birmingham have accepted bids from Swansea and Norwich for Nathan Redmond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

New Wolves manager put up a good few big names for sale including Roger Johnson. Good buy for the championship teams or some of the new teams in the EPL IMO.

Advertisement