Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

New Wolves manager put up a good few big names for sale including Roger Johnson. Good buy for the championship teams or some of the new teams in the EPL IMO.

Are you joking, he is woeful. 3 relegations in 3 seasons. Very poor attitude as well, puts more hard work in at the pub than at the training ground. Teams will be steering well clear of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

You can't put 3 relagations down to one player. He was very good for Birmingham and if he could be restored to that he would be a solid enough CB.

You can't put 3 relagations down to one player. He was very good for Birmingham and if he could be restored to that he would be a solid enough CB.

As a Birmingham fan, I can tell you he was dreadful for us when we were relegated. He had one good season in his career, and that is it. He has no pace and terrible positional sense. He is also on 40 grand a week at Wolves, no club will match that wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    As a Birmingham fan, I can tell you he was dreadful for us when we were relegated. He had one good season in his career, and that is it. He has no pace and terrible positional sense. He is also on 40 grand a week at Wolves, no club will match that wage.

That must be a joke surely? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

New Wolves manager put up a good few big names for sale including Roger Johnson. Good buy for the championship teams or some of the new teams in the EPL IMO.

Hi Roger, what team do you think you should play for? You have found your true level in League One, id stay there and 'excel' if i were you, enjoy he pints ;).

• Advertisement

Hi Roger, what team do you think you should play for? You have found your true level in League One, id stay there and 'excel' if i were you, enjoy he pints ;).

Hi ben,

As of today my agent informed me of a few big name teams who have sought interest in me. Teams include Bayern, Barca but more appealingly Accrington Stanley.

We'll see where the road takes me. I'm in a great frame of mind and look forward to a future club.

Regards,

Roger.

Disclaimer* May not be linked with Accrington but the Barca and Bayern offers are solid.. I swear:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Oat23 wrote: »
    Lucas Barrios & Guangzhou Evergrande have agreed to mutually terminate his contract. He wants to return to Germany.

Can't believe that didn't work out! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hi ben,

As of today my agent informed me of a few big name teams who have sought interest in me. Teams include Bayern, Barca but more appealingly Accrington Stanley.

We'll see where the road takes me. I'm in a great frame of mind and look forward to a future club.

Regards,

Roger.

Disclaimer* May not be linked with Accrington but the Barca and Bayern offers are solid.. I swear:pac:
    that wasn't funny at all

MD1990 wrote: »
    that wasn't funny at all

I know. I had to reply saying something:pac:

To be fair, Roger Johnson talked a good bit about joining a team in the Champions League. Good few stories of him abusing Birmingham fans in the run up to our relegation, telling us to enjoy the Championship while he played in the Champions League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I know. I had to reply saying something:pac:
    don't ever embarrass youself like that again :pac:

MD1990 wrote: »
    don't ever embarrass youself like that again :pac:

Yes, sir:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Very poor attitude as well, puts more hard work in at the pub than at the training ground.
    Just because a man likes a scoop or 12 before training, you can't hold that against him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That must be a joke surely? :eek:
    Nope. Remember that contract was signed when Wolves were in the Premier League and Johnson was supposed to become the defensive lynch-pin of that team.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Jeremy Wilson ‏@JWTelegraph 32m
    On Higuain to arsenal, deal agreed in principle with player and club. But Real stalling on signing it off b4 new manager's in place

Come on Ancelotti...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Are you joking, he is woeful. 3 relegations in 3 seasons. Very poor attitude as well, puts more hard work in at the pub than at the training ground. Teams will be steering well clear of him.

Himself and Scott Dann had a remarkable season together that one good season with Birmingham,

Since then it seems they are both racing each other to the bottom, Johnson ahead of Dann at the moment but it was closely run this season,

Depends where he moves now whether he can stay ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    According to the offical Napoli radio station Cavani has just joined Chelsea

Link?

I just googled 'Edison Cavani to..' and the first drop down option was Liverpool:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

In related Napoli news, they've signed Dries Mertens from PSV, and apparently Southampton have agreed a fee with Celtic for Wanyama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

In related Napoli news, they've signed Dries Mertens from PSV, and apparently Southampton have agreed a fee with Celtic for Wanyama

he's not accepting their offer though

most likely waiting to see if any bigger clubs come in for him now that the fee Celtic want will be known

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

batistuta9 wrote: »
    he's not accepting their offer though

most likely waiting to see if any bigger clubs come in for him now that the fee Celtic want will be known

Some paper is running the story that his agents are demanding an excessive fee and Wanyama is more interested in joining Cardiff for some reason. Adam Matthews & Joe Ledley would be very quick to tell him that he's better off at Celtic if thats the case. I'd believe that his agents are greedy backstards though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Dempsey wrote: »
    Some paper is running the story that his agents are demanding an excessive fee and Wanyama is more interested in joining Cardiff for some reason. Adam Matthews & Joe Ledley would be very quick to tell him that he's better off at Celtic if thats the case. I'd believe that his agents are greedy backstards though
    Cardiff would be a much more attractive proposition now than when them 2 left.

CSF wrote: »
    Cardiff would be a much more attractive proposition now than when them 2 left.

And neither of them have any interest in resigning for Cardiff despite that. Both of them are youth products of Cardiff and Ledley is Cardiff born and raised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Wanyama said himself http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/8790747/Transfer-news-Celtic-s-Victor-Wanyama-rejects-Southampton-offer
    "While the bid was okay for Celtic, the terms were not right for myself and my agent," he said in the Southern Daily Echo.

"I am open to what offers are made, but I am relaxed and it's important that Celtic are happy too."

He's no more interested in joining cardiff than going back to Kenya i think, they're just waiting to see if a bigger team comes in, L'pool mentioned, arsenal not long ago & now that the fee's known it'll be easier for them

if none does, he'll probably accept the best offer he gets, by which time southampton could possibly have upped their offer to him as well

going by his comments about his agent in the papers, saying they're like family, it reminded me something i heard before about african players; that they're all nearly morally obliged to help out the people close to them, family, agents, etc. more so than other players and will often have a number of agents and be looking for a lot of money because of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Barry Corr is leaving Southend.

This might not mean much to anyone else but I'm heartbroken. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hmmmm play in PL or play for Celtic. I know where I be heading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Celtic can offer him UCL football though, well via the qualifiers, but they should get through them without too much hassle.

But agreed, between EPL and SPL its a bit of a no brainer really.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Celtic can offer him UCL football though, well via the qualifiers, but they should get through them without too much hassle.

But agreed, between EPL and SPL its a bit of a no brainer really.

True but no guarantee plus it's not like they are going to win it. They did very well last season. It won't always be like that for Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Paulinhio's comments in the paper that he can't turn spurs down should mean he signs after the confed cup unless obviously someone can offer more money and or UCL next season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Not really - If a player can perform in the UCL that can inflate their price. I'm not sure a young Kenyan kid is going to want to get out of Celtic, where all the hype currently is, to go to Southampton where you'd have to imagine he'd be tied for 4-5 years. He's obviously an ambitious guy but if he can step it up another level maybe one of the bigger fish can come and get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Paulinhio's comments in the paper that he can't turn spurs down should mean he signs after the confed cup unless obviously someone can offer more money and or UCL next season.

He looks a vey decent player. I'd be surprised if a few CL sides aren't in for him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Madrid confirm Ancellotti with PSG naming Laurent Blanc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Madrid confirm Ancellotti with PSG naming Laurent Blanc.

Naming him what ?

Yea, backwards in your career.
    True but no guarantee plus it's not like they are going to win it. They did very well last season. It won't always be like that for Celtic

No guarantees at Southampton either, they will be scrapping it out in a relegation battle again next season with zero cup prospects. If thats a no brainer to you if you had his potential then lol tbh because you'd be selling your career short for a quick buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Naming him what ?

as the new manager of PSG

• Advertisement

Yea, backwards in your career.

No guarantees at Southampton either, they will be scrapping it out in a relegation battle again next season with zero cup prospects. If thats a no brainer to you if you had his potential then lol tbh because you'd be selling your career short for a quick buck.

Leaving Celtic to PL is a backward step?

Sorry no that's not true at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I hate that Celtic vs PL debate. Its clearly obvious that getting a move to the Premier League is a bigger deal than playing for Celtic. Hardly any SPL players will move directly to a big team, players move to Celtic with the incentive that they could get a dream move to the Premier League. Celtic is a pretty big club but I'd say after a year or two being a big fish gets boring. The Champions League factor is overstated. If Wanyama plays in EPL he gets massive games against Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, United, Liverpool, Spurs, twice a season.

And if I was a player I'd be way more attracted to the type of team Pochettino is building than playing for Celtic.

Its hard to judge, while the EPL is a superior league, it all depends on who Wanyam ends up with, anything other then a middle table team would be a side ways step or backwards, only in the context that he'll get medals at Celtic and UCL experience every now and again compared to a potential dog fight with Southampton or the likes.

Its hard to judge, while the EPL is a superior league, it all depends on who Wanyam ends up with, anything other then a middle table team would be a side ways step or backwards, only in the context that he'll get medals at Celtic and UCL experience every now and again compared to a potential dog fight with Southampton or the likes.

You take some form of risk with any move no matter what team.

Ronaldo to Madrid is example.

But let's face it. Celtic are going to find it extremely difficult to repeat last season again.

Aidan Mcgeady played CL football last year. Made no impact whatsoever on his career. Him going to Everton(who is rumoured to be interested) would market him far greater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

But let's face it. Celtic are going to find it extremely difficult to repeat last season again.

Aidan Mcgeady played CL football last year. Made no impact whatsoever on his career. Him going to Everton(who is rumoured to be interested) would market him far greater.

Everton is getting a 5 star skiller??? Pfft.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Yeah I honestly believe that the CL is an illusion in peoples heads. Give McGead the choice between Everton and no CL football or Spartak Moscow, and he'd choose Everton, no doubt in my mind. He'd consider that a good move I reckon

100% agree with ya, the sum of the parts of the SPL cant match up to the EPL in terms of quality so a move south in theory should see him become a better player, playing against better opposition week in, week out.

It'll be interesting one, I think however his agent came out saying the Southampton deal is dead in the water, basically holding out for a bigger club, who they hope to attract remains to be seen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

miralize wrote: »
    Everton is getting a 5 star skiller??? Pfft.

How he has those ratings on fifa ill never know

100% agree with ya, the sum of the parts of the SPL cant match up to the EPL in terms of quality so a move south in theory should see him become a better player, playing against better opposition week in, week out.

It'll be interesting one, I think however his agent came out saying the Southampton deal is dead in the water, basically holding out for a bigger club, who they hope to attract remains to be seen though.

I don't want take anything away from Celtic.

Great club full stop.

But they will have to repeat last year acheivments which will be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'm fairly biased because I don't like Celtic but even putting that aside, a move to what I personally consider to be the all round best league in the world (the peaks may not be as high as some others but the troughs don't go anywhere near as low as others) to be a no-brainer unless it's to a team who have a pretty low chance of staying in the league.

Celtics appeal will be forever hampered by the low standard of the league, unless they really become a force at European level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

klose wrote: »
    How he has those ratings on fifa ill never know

Fairly obvious when you watch him play enough that he has fantastic ball control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Quality, schmality. If Celtic were to offer more money and better general contractual terms a player should go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

CSF wrote: »
    Celtics appeal will be forever hampered by the low standard of the league, unless they really become a force at European level.

I can't see them becoming a force in Europe in the next 10 years the Scottish league is all over the place at the moment and it will take years for it to recover . Celtic might offer champions league football but they have to come through two qualifiers to get into the group stages . On Victor Wanyama I think he is good enough to play in the premier league so he should leave Celtic .

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Quality, schmality. If Celtic were to offer more money and better general contractual terms a player should go there.

The agent statement does read like that IMO, if more money was to be offered to him he'd stay.

As I said, nearly 100% chance of medals year on year for the next 5 years, UCL games and picking up a decent wedge too in front of a 45k crowd.

Although if he wants to further himself or prove something then he'll ahve to move to do so.

I said going to Southampton would be a backward step for a player of his calibre and that is a fact. And he knocked back Southamptons final offer 2 weeks ago. He wont be going there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement