Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Dempsey wrote: »
    I said going to Southampton would be a backward step for a player of his calibre, that is true. And he knocked back Southamptons final offer 2 weeks ago. He wont be going there.

I think it isn't enough of a step forward myself but I wouldn't call it a step backward at all. Wanyama deserves a top 10 club or a club like Villa who are underachieving based on size by not being in top 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I said going to Southampton would be a backward step for a player of his calibre and that is a fact. And he knocked back Southamptons final offer 2 weeks ago. He wont be going there.

I agree with you if he goes to an Everton, Arsenal or Liverpool I could understand but Cardiff or Southampton ain't a step up despite how much dosh the latter are waving about lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hes agreed a deal with Cardiff hasnt he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

GTR63 wrote: »
    I agree with you if he goes to an Everton, Arsenal or Liverpool I could understand but Cardiff or Southampton ain't a step up despite how much dosh the latter are waving about lately.

Southampton or cardiff might not be at the level of Celtic but the opposition he'll face will be a million times better than what he'll face in Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hes agreed a deal with Cardiff hasnt he.

I dont think so anyway. :confused:
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    Southampton or cardiff might not be at the level of Celtic but the opposition he'll face will be a million times better than what he'll face in Scotland.

Slight exaggeration. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Oranage2 wrote: »
    How far off would you think Southampton and Cardiff are to Celtic. I'd imagine they wouldn't be that far apart. I'd say they'd be challenging for the SPL if they moved up there.

greendom wrote: »
    How far off would you think Southampton and Cardiff are to Celtic. I'd imagine they wouldn't be that far apart. I'd say they'd be challenging for the SPL if they moved up there.

I reckon if both went to the SPL theyed push Celtic but on the flip side of that, if Celtic were in the EPL I'd expect them to do better then both of the above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Seaneh wrote: »
    Fairly obvious when you watch him play enough that he has fantastic ball control.

I admire McGeady but I don't know really what level the Russian league is. He hasn't done as well this season it seems, only 17 appearances.....wait, has Russia a summer league or was he injured? *scratches head*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

greendom wrote: »

You're imagining those clubs in the SPL with EPL income or working off the income that SPL clubs get?

• Advertisement

You're imagining those clubs in the SPL with EPL income or working off the income that SPL clubs get?

If Soputhampton/Cardiff were lifted to the SPL with their current squads theyed run Celtic close but then the financial aspect would kill them and theyed lose alot of the players in the 2nd & 3rd seasons and eventually struggle to compete.

On the reverse of that, if Celtic came south theyed get more money and attract better players to build a squad and would then outperform Southmapton/Cardiff IMO.

All fantasy football guessing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

How much money do Celtic make a season ? Would playing in the EPL make up for not playing in CL money wise ?

Jax Teller wrote: »
    How much money do Celtic make a season ? Would playing in the EPL make up for not playing in CL money wise ?

Ballpark figures

Without UCL £55m p/a
    With UCL £75m p/a

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Jax Teller wrote: »

TV revenue from the EPL is several times the money celtic would get from appearing in the group stages of the CL.

That's why clubs like Swansea and Southhampton can outbid almost every club in Spain, France, Italy or Germany.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If Soputhampton/Cardiff were lifted to the SPL with their current squads theyed run Celtic close but then the financial aspect would kill them and theyed lose alot of the players in the 2nd & 3rd seasons and eventually struggle to compete.

On the reverse of that, if Celtic came south theyed get more money and attract better players to build a squad and would then outperform Southmapton/Cardiff IMO.

All fantasy football guessing though.

I'd agree with that, those clubs would be shedding players quicker that that though. Celtic could double turnover immediately in the EPL, they could push for top 6 straight away if they bought aswell as they have been doing.

I think there turnover was really helped by UCL football last year, they were up nearly 15Million for the 2nd half of 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21414575

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

BNnDiFvCMAAR5iD.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

swoody wrote: »
    load up on the Airplane jokes!

Surely he was offside?
    What, he's not even on the pitch!

Excited by Schurrle.

I wouldnt be surprised if we lined up next season with him wide left.

Hazard----Mata----Schurrle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Excited by Schurrle.

I wouldnt be surprised if we lined up next season with him wide left.

Hazard----Mata----Schurrle

That with Oscar and Ramires playing in central mid positions is pretty exciting.

Seaneh wrote: »
    That with Oscar and Ramires playing in central mid positions is pretty exciting.

I dunno will Jose do that though, now I cant see him rotating as much as Rafa as he'll have a bigger and better squad to work with then Rafa, but I'm still unsure if he'll deploy Oscar as the deep lying playmaker, I reckon Oscar has got it in him but it would need Ramires to be a bit more disciplined then he already is and we'd have to bolster the CB's as our current options arent the best truth be told.

As ya mentioned, its going to very attack minded anyway, we could easily line up

Cech
    Azp Luiz JT Cole
    Oscar Ramries
    Hazard Mata Schurrle
    Lukaku

A few questions remain over the CB's and Ivanovic could easily start at RB and if we sign Cavani I'd be surprised if he didnt start the season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

That's not the issue though. Southampton are a better prospect than Celtic player wise. Celtic would push Southampton and could beat them, but if I was given a choice of players to work with it would be Southamptons.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

I dunno will Jose do that though, now I cant see him rotating as much as Rafa as he'll have a bigger and better squad to work with then Rafa, but I'm still unsure if he'll deploy Oscar as the deep lying playmaker, I reckon Oscar has got it in him but it would need Ramires to be a bit more disciplined then he already is and we'd have to bolster the CB's as our current options arent the best truth be told.

As ya mentioned, its going to very attack minded anyway, we could easily line up

Cech
    Azp Luiz JT Cole
    Oscar Ramries
    Hazard Mata Schurrle
    Lukaku

A few questions remain over the CB's and Ivanovic could easily start at RB and if we sign Cavani I'd be surprised if he didnt start the season.

Essien? He has seen what Essien is capable of because of last season too.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    That's not the issue though. Southampton are a better prospect than Celtic player wise. Celtic would push Southampton and could beat them, but if I was given a choice of players to work with it would be Southamptons.

It was a question to a hypothetical scenario:rolleyes:

Nonsence, Celtic would beat Southampton comfortably and Celtic have a better squad of players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Mignolet done and dusted for LFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Nonsence, Celtic would beat Southampton comfortably and Celtic have a better squad of players

I don't know about that now. You get better by playing the best. in Southampton's case. They play good football under Pochetino and could conceivably be top ten next season. There's only so far Celtic can go playing in such an atrocious league. However with their fanbase, if they ever went to the EPL, they could become successful very quickly if they bought well.

Essien? He has seen what Essien is capable of because of last season too.

Essine, at RB or CM? I think we've better options in both positions then to be relying on a Essien IMO.

Essine, at RB or CM? I think we've better options in both positions then to be relying on a Essien IMO.

Not think he can make his way back to the way he was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Has anything posted recently been transfer related or is this the Chelsea or Celtic super thread?

Not think he can make his way back to the way he was?

Nah cant see it happening at all really.
    T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Has anything posted recently been transfer related or is this the Chelsea or Celtic super thread?

Well we were discussing Wanyama moving and how it would be either a step up or step down depends on what you reckon.

Then Schurrle was confirmed by Chelsea and another person has added Mignolet is done and joining Liverpool.

Cant see the problem there TBH. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Just no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Just no.

Yeah I would also have southampton to edge it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Nah cant see it happening at all really.

Well we were discussing Wanyama moving and how it would be either a step up or step down depends on what you reckon.

Then Schurrle was confirmed by Chelsea and another person has added Mignolet is done and joining Liverpool.

Cant see the problem there TBH. :confused:
    I can see peoples frustrations with this thread, every other day its a bitchfest between rival supporters etc, i think a thread of discussing transfers and a thread for confirmed transfers only would be much better. Just my two cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I can see peoples frustrations with this thread, every other day its a bitchfest between rival supporters etc, i think a thread of discussing transfers and a thread for confirmed transfers only would be much better. Just my two cents.

Yeah the great Celtic and Southampton rivalry, transfer impacts is a viable discussion.

A no discussion transfer thread would be like watching paint dry, sure the best part of transfers is the speculation :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Any more developments at OT? Still have the fingers (& toes!!!) crossed for Thiago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Tevez joining Juventus for 12m apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

MD1990 wrote: »
    Woohoo. That makes Higuian to Arsenal a near certainty. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

MD1990 wrote: »

That a bargain,great bit of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

yabadabado wrote: »
    That a bargain,great bit of business.

Great to have on your team, terrible to have at your club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Besides his city mishap, has he acted out anywhere else? Up until the summer when he moved to city he was pretty professional no?

• Advertisement

Nonsense. He's a class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

rarnes1 wrote: »
    And for 12m he is a steal. Always liked him at United and now I can root for him again

he was pretty disruptive at utd. Classless and crass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

He is until he gets a bit pissed off and ****s off back to Argentina for a few months.

I didnt say he wasnt :confused::confused:

10m I've seen. Maybe thats 12m euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

miralize wrote: »
    Besides his city mishap, has he acted out anywhere else? Up until the summer when he moved to city he was pretty professional no?
    he wore the united kit at a Corinthians news conference back in 2005

they promptly fined him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

RIP Tevez ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mignolet to lfc for 9m

259902.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Whats going to happen to Reina now?Anyone in for him,cant see him staying as no. 2 and if he aint playing can see him losing his place in the spain squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

swoody wrote: »
    he wore the united kit at a Corinthians news conference back in 2005

they promptly fined him.
    RIP Tevez ;-)

Seems to be quite the controversial player actually :pac:

Couple the above with the occasional game of golf instead of training and the fact that he is nothing more than a MERC with NO loyalty, I'd have to agree that he is pretty disruptive to have around your club....

Gotta say fair play to Fergie for spotting it when 99% of the Utd fans were singing 'Fergie, Fergie sign him up'

Suppose the fans are not always right ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement