Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Tevez & Llorente for £10/12m that some bargain .

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Seems to be quite the controversial player actually :pac:

Couple the above with the occasional game of golf instead of training and the fact that he is nothing more than a MERC with NO loyalty, I'd have to agree that he is pretty disruptive to have around your club....

Gotta say fair play to Fergie for spotting it when 99% of the Utd fans were singing 'Fergie, Fergie sign him up'

Suppose the fans are not always right ;)
    Fergie offered Tevez a contract only for him to turn it down and join city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

a Liverpool fans not happy bout the signing

3daa3145-5404-4a04-90e9-d8ebd8039534

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Fergie offered Tevez a contract only for him to turn it down and join city.

Link to this???

If he did I say it was more of a 'kick in the teeth' contract offer to him, why else would he have let his contract run down at OT when the fans were singing EVERY week 'Fergie, Fergine sign him up'

He knew what we didn't ;)

Link to this???
    I thought this was common knowledge.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/5390010/
    If he did I say it was more of a 'kick in the teeth' contract offer to him,
    That makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Link to this???

If he did I say it was more of a 'kick in the teeth' contract offer to him, why else would he have let his contract run down at OT when the fans were singing EVERY week 'Fergie, Fergine sign him up'

What do you mean "let his contract run down"? What contract? united never owned him. He was on a 2 year loan from West Ham. United, at the end of this, agreed to the 25m buy option and offered him a 5 year contract. He turned it down and joined city.

Make no mistake - United wanted him.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    What do you mean "let his contract run down"? What contract? united never owned him. He was on a 2 year loan from West Ham. United, at the end of this, agreed to the 25m buy option and offered him a 5 year contract. He turned it down and joined city.

Make no mistake - United wanted him.

Ehhhh.. the 2 year loan one???? What was stopping Utd from approaching West Ham/Corinthians/3rd party ownership of the player during the passing transfer windows of that 2 year period???? Make no mistake, Teves could have been signed up as a Utd player FULL time during his loan spell with us.

I honestly did not know that we offered him a contract, I concede that. But stand firm that if we REALLY wanted him (considering he was at OT 2 years, mainly used as a sub) we would have got him. I think between the way he was used by Fergie (sub) and the lure of the extra cash at City at the time turned his head. Without even knowing how much we offered in that contract offer I'll bet it was not close to our top earners at the time.

Anyway, him going to City worked out pretty well for us all round :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Link to this???

I'm baffled, he was on loan at the time. Towards the end of the loan he was offered a 5 year contract and a pretty penny wage packet from United and he turned it down and joined City instead.
    Hardly a "kick in the teeth". Fergie spotted a pretty decent player, brought him to United on loan, was happy with him and so he offered him a contact that was refused.
    I think your mistaken TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

City paid a bomb for him that they weren't going to get from United so Joorabchian found a deal that profited him the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Tevez wanted United to offer him a contract, which they did, but he threw his tantrum and joined City. He didn't like being rotated.

• Advertisement

Ehhhh.. the 2 year loan one???? What was stopping Utd from approaching West Ham/Corinthians/3rd party ownership of the player during the passing transfer windows of that 2 year period???? Make no mistake, Teves could have been signed up as a Utd player FULL time during his loan spell with us.

I honestly did not know that we offered him a contract, I concede that. But stand firm that if we REALLY wanted him (considering he was at OT 2 years, mainly used as a sub) we would have got him. I think between the way he was used by Fergie (sub) and the lure of the extra cash at City at the time turned his head. Without even knowing how much we offered in that contract offer I'll bet it was not close to our top earners at the time.

They paid for a 2 year loan hence why they waited until the loan was finished to offer a contract. They only had an option to purchase him at the end of the loan.
    The club agreed to pay the option price of £25.5m and offered Carlos a five-year contract which would have made him one of its highest paid players.
    From the link i posted.
    You're making a lot of wild claims without backing them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It's ridiculous that United fans just can't seem to grasp that some players just don't want to play for them.

Ye might have to get used to that feeling now Fergies gone.

Panthro wrote: »
    I'm baffled, he was on loan at the time. Towards the end of the loan he was offered a 5 year contract and a pretty penny wage packet from United and he turned it down and joined City instead.
    Hardly a "kick in the teeth". Fergie spotted a pretty decent player, brought him to United on loan, was happy with him and so he offered him a contact that was refused.
    I think your mistaken TBH.
    Liam O wrote: »
    City paid a bomb for him that they weren't going to get from United so Joorabchian found a deal that profited him the most.
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    Tevez wanted United to offer him a contract, which they did, but he threw his tantrum and joined City. He didn't like being rotated.

Which was?????

Ah, seems like I'm not alone after all in thinking Utd did not REALLY REALLY want him! If they did, they would have played him more to keep him happy at the club and offered whatever City offered him, they didn't...... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Link to this???

I thought this was common knowledge.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/5390010/

That makes no sense at all.
    Which was?????

Ah, seems like I'm not alone after all in thinking Utd did not REALLY REALLY want him! If they did, they would have played him more to keep him happy at the club and offered whatever City offered him, they didn't...... ;)

I believe the post you didn't reference had the answer. Anyway it's pretty irrelevant now if he's off to Juve.

Which was?????

United offered to pay 25.5 million and make him one of their highest earners, if that doesn't scream "we really want you to keep playing for this club" then i don't know what does.

But by all means continue to stick your fingers in your ears and ignore the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

:confused:

United did REALLY want him and he snubbed them. End of. You ned to get to grips with the fact that there are players around who don't want to play with United.

It didn't really work out well seeing as he is now considered one of City's best ever players and he was fantastic for them.

Great signing for Juventus. Wanted Milan to get him but they choose not to for whatever reason. The 1 remaining non-EU spot and Robinho still being a part of the squad were probably the 2 deciding factors. I still think we should have got him when we had the chance.

€12m for Tevez? Bargain of the summer and that will not be beaten.
    €5.5m wages means he took roughly a 50% pay cut. He'll get bonuses as well but he must have really wanted to leave City.

Hoping Milan use their remaining non-EU spot for Keisuke Honda. Him and Tevez were always going to be the 2 bargain buys this summer. €6-7m and he'll be sold. Would be a great investment for any club.

United offered to pay 25.5 million and make him one of their highest earners, if that doesn't scream "we really want you to keep playing for this club" then i don't know what does.

But by all means continue to stick your fingers in your ears and ignore the facts.

At the time of my reply I did not see your post, having seen it I withdraw everything I said about Tevez, he really is a lovely bloke and we (apparantly) really did want him....

Happy :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

Quazzie wrote: »
    It's ridiculous that United fans just can't seem to grasp that some players just don't want to play for them.

Ye might have to get used to that feeling now Fergies gone.

It's one person?

Also we'll see. Thiago seems pretty happy to come, having agreed personal terms.

It's one person?

Also we'll see. Thiago seems pretty happy to come, having agreed personal terms.

Pogba

• Advertisement

The biggest error I've ever seen Ferguson make. Pogba will become a world class midfielder, Scholes was muck after he came back

Seen Pogba a few times for Juve and I have to admit, damn he has talent!

Seen Pogba a few times for Juve and I have to admit, damn he has talent!

Would have liked to have seen how Ferguson would have helped him develop. We'd never have known because of the retirement anyway but the lad is quite temperamental. Fantastic prospect

After signing Tevez and Llorente, Juventus now have, in my opinion, one of the top 3 strongest squads in world football - matched only by Bayern and Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

According to Sky Sports Arsenal have triggered Felliani's release fee and a deal is looking likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Would have liked to have seen how Ferguson would have helped him develop. We'd never have known because of the retirement anyway but the lad is quite temperamental. Fantastic prospect

After signing Tevez and Llorente, Juventus now have, in my opinion, one of the top 3 strongest squads in world football - matched only by Bayern and Barca

No way. Real, Man United and Chelsea are all stronger. Tevez and Llorente are not world class additions by any means.

CSF wrote: »
    No way. Real, Man United and Chelsea are all stronger. Tevez and Llorente are not world class additions by any means.

Madrid maybe, United? I don't think so. Chelsea is also an iffy one but I dunno, I just think Juventus strengthened exactly what they needed.

Tevez is a world class signing.

And it's not only that, it's how big of an upgrade Tevez and Llorente will be on what Juventus had. They have, for me, the second best midfield in the world after Barca and their defence and keeper are solid too. Up front they were poor but these additions are invaluable to them.

Buffon, Chiellini and Pirlo are there or thereabouts the best players in the world in their positions.

Vidal, Marchisio, Giaccherini, Barzagli, Storari and Pogba are all very good and then you have the likes of Giovinco, Bonucci, Vucinic and Asamoah.

Add in Tevez and Llorente up front and they have a mightily impressive squad, capable of beating anyone.

That being said, I think that United signing Thiago would improve their team so, so much.

Earlier I said that Tevez and Honda were this summers transfer bargains. Thiago at €18m is this summers transfer bargain.

Madrid maybe, United? I don't think so. Chelsea is also an iffy one but I dunno, I just think Juventus strengthened exactly what they needed.

And it's not only that, it's how big of an upgrade Tevez and Llorente will be on what Juventus had. They have, for me, the second best midfield in the world after Barca and their defence and keeper are solid too. Up front they were poor but these additions are invaluable to them.

Buffon, Chiellini and Pirlo are there or thereabouts the best players in the world in their positions.

Vidal, Marchisio, Giaccherini, Barzagli, Storari and Pogba are all very good and then you have the likes of Giovinco, Bonucci, Vucinic and Asamoah.

Add in Tevez and Llorente up front and they have a mightily impressive squad, capable of beating anyone.

That being said, I think that United signing Thiago would improve their team so, so much.

Earlier I said that Tevez and Honda were this summers transfer bargains. Thiago at €18m is this summers transfer bargain.
    I think you're overestimating lots about Juventus there, lots of talent but so much to prove at the highest level throughout the squad.

I really think you're overrating Tevez. He has had 2 very ordinary seasons now and I don't think he will appreciate the Italian style of play as much, not the most intelligent of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Vidal is easily their best and most important player for me, probably the most complete midfielder around at the moment.

klose wrote: »
    Vidal is easily their best and most important player for me, probably the most complete midfielder around at the moment.

Most complete midfielder plays for city im afraid!!!

On his day Ya Ya can dominate a game, can attack defend u name it!

Hasn't an amazing range of passing to be fair and you couldn't rely on him to dictate the tempo of a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

But how many 'days' did Toure have last year? Vidal has been very consistent in how excellent he has been for Juve over the last two seasons.

CSF wrote: »
    I think you're overestimating lots about Juventus there, lots of talent but so much to prove at the highest level throughout the squad.

I really think you're overrating Tevez. He has had 2 very ordinary seasons now and I don't think he will appreciate the Italian style of play as much, not the most intelligent of players.

Maybe I am overestimating them a bit.

United or Madrid signing Tevez wouldn't be near as big of a deal because they have quality up front. Tevez will fit in perfectly with Juve and will become their main man up top. The goals are spread fairly well across the attack and midfield which will suit him as well as he won't be required to score 20+ goals in the league.

Juventus signing Tevez is a fantastic piece of business.

Some pay cut as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Schweinsteiger's the most complete midfielder. He still has his legs, can win the ball back and has the passing to run a game.

Schweinsteiger's the most complete midfielder. He still has his legs, can win the ball back and has the passing to run a game.

:D:D:D

Seriously though, good shout! Brilliant box to box midfielder, the best thing that happened to him is when Martinez signed, he is now allowed to push on and show his qualities.

Again, would love him in the Utd engine room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Thought it was fairly obvious United wanted Tevez but he was being rotated. City offered him big money and first team football didn't work out too bad for either team.

One of the few simple, straight forward posts amongst all the rubbish of the past few pages.

Disappointed to lose Tevez all things considered. We wouldn't have won what we did without him, his goal scoring record was superb and you could never fault his commitment on the park.

A huge loss and he'll be tough to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Xavi6 wrote: »
    One of the few simple, straight forward posts amongst all the rubbish of the past few pages.

Disappointed to lose Tevez all things considered. We wouldn't have won what we did without him, his goal scoring record was superb and you could never fault his commitment on the park.

A huge loss and he'll be tough to replace.

Could replace him tomorrow with Cavani.

Although you're talking about a £37 million swing but I think Cavani is up there with the best.

I think people's judgement on Tevez is clouded by his golfing vacation.

He is a very good player, his goals dried up because he played a deeper role last season for City.

He can finish and his workrate is immense. The man is a proper professional on the pitch and his minor issues off of it have been blown out of proportion.

He wasn't at fault for the United saga near as much as that cnut of an agent.

His Munich hiccup was disastrous but he had the humility to come back and try to work things out and, despite what many think, he did so and him and Mancini got on well last year.

A very hard player to replace and he was much more influential than Aguero last season but it was time to call it quits with City and they knew it.

A great signing for Juve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Think you've got some players the wrong way around. Vidal is easily as important as the first 3 (probably more so). Asamoah is a great player, while Giaccherini is actually fairly poor. Otherwise you've got it spot on, they have a great first 11 (dat midfield!), and good squad depth. Attack was definitely their weak point, less so now.

Think you've got some players the wrong way around. Vidal is easily as important as the first 3 (probably more so). Asamoah is a great player, while Giaccherini is actually fairly poor. Otherwise you've got it spot on, they have a great first 11 (dat midfield!), and good squad depth. Attack was definitely their weak point, less so now.

Yeah you're right. Vidal is more than comparable to the front three. Was their best player last year imo and was also the best midfielder in the league. More of a mistake in my typing on that one than anything else, I think he's quality too.

I'd rate Giaccherini as a good squad player, not a great player by any measure but he can do a job and is quite flexible in the roles he can play.

Question. Keisuke Honda? Out of contract in January. Worth about €15m ish but will be available for €6-7m in summer or free in January and this could be recouped in Asian Market shirt sales alone.

Milan are the favourites to land him. Yay or nay? Haven't seen enough of him to know him well but from what I have seen, he looks talented and he would definitely add quality to Milan's starting team, where I'd imagine he will get his place.

Question. Keisuke Honda? Out of contract in January. Worth about €15m ish but will be available for €6-7m in summer or free in January and this could be recouped in Asian Market shirt sales alone.

Milan are the favourites to land him. Yay or nay? Haven't seen enough of him to know him well but from what I have seen, he looks talented and he would definitely add quality to Milan's starting team, where I'd imagine he will get his place.

Absolutely yay.

Between the Asian Cup and World Cup qualifiers against Australia I've seen him a fair bit over the past two or three years and he's class. Confident on the ball and dictates play superbly.

Tbh I'd take him at City no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Yeah you're right. Vidal is more than comparable to the front three. Was their best player last year imo and was also the best midfielder in the league. More of a mistake in my typing on that one than anything else, I think he's quality too.

I'd rate Giaccherini as a good squad player, not a great player by any measure but he can do a job and is quite flexible in the roles he can play.

doubtful

Absolutely yay.

Between the Asian Cup and World Cup qualifiers against Australia I've seen him a fair bit over the past two or three years and he's class. Confident on the ball and dictates play superbly.

Tbh I'd take him at City no bother.
    Cheers for that. He's meant to be a great set piece taker too although I doubt Mario will be giving that role up for auction anytime soon.

Is he confident in centre mid or is he better placed in a more attacking role? Say as the 1 in a 4-3-1-2 or on the attacking right in a 4-3-2-1 ?

Was disappointed to miss out on Tevez but I'm getting more and more excited at the prospect of signing Honda instead.
    doubtful

I'm no expert on the exact figures but from what I've researched on it, the fact that he would be Milan's only Asian player and the fact that it's such a high-profile club and he'd be getting regular game time means he'd sell insane amounts of jerseys and merchandise on his own.

He is, as far as I'm aware but correct me if I'm wrong, the best Asian player (Alongside Kagawa) around? This would be pretty big then so.

From what I've heard and read, he'd be a revenue goldmine.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that. He's meant to be a great set piece taker too although I doubt Mario will be giving that role up for auction anytime soon.

Is he confident in centre mid or is he better placed in a more attacking role? Say as the 1 in a 4-3-1-2 or on the attacking right in a 4-3-2-1 ?

Was disappointed to miss out on Tevez but I'm getting more and more excited at the prospect of signing Honda instead.

Has to play centrally anyway for me, having him wide would be a waste.

He can play in the middle of the park, and when De Jong comes back they could work well as a pair or as two of a three.

Depends on how many strikers Milan have at their disposal and choose to go with.

Has to play centrally anyway for me, having him wide would be a waste.

He can play in the middle of the park, and when De Jong comes back they could work well as a pair or as two of a three.

Depends on how many strikers Milan have at their disposal and choose to go with.
    Ah right. Sounds like a very good signing at that price!
    We're allegedly paying 4-3-1-2 this season so I'd imagine it'll look like this:

---El Shaarawy
    Balotelli
    Honda
    Boateng----DeJong----Montolivo

With Pazzini, Niang, Saponara as back up for the front 3.

Not too shabby although I have my doubts about El Shaarawy playing so centrally and Boateng may leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

"When the fee is combined with wages and bonuses due to Tevez in the final year of his contract, City could save £27m."

Tevez's final year wages must have been pretty high . I've seen few people who's wages go up in the final year at their club . David Villa being one I can think of .

City probably wouldn't have sold but for that .

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

As a player Tevez is a massive loss for City. He was especially instrumental in them breaking the top 4, wouldn't have been able to do it at the time without him. This then allowed them to attract the top players needed to take the title.

That said, he was a massive moan bag, and I suspect there's quite a few people at the club happy to see him leave.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Woah *RUMOURS*

Newcastle linked with both Gignac and Wilfred Bony, Bony would fit the mould of a Ba replacement, ......... but he's not french

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Barry Corr is leaving Southend.

This might not mean much to anyone else but I'm heartbroken. :(

@SUFCRootsHall
    Southend United are delighted to announce striker Barry Corr has this morning signed a new two year contract.

:eek: :D

Yay!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

This is this summers transfer thread - lets leave transfers from previous years like Tevez to City & Pogba to Juve or whatever out of it especially not for several pages of discussion anyway and instead keep it for this summers transfer stories. This thread got well and truely off topic and although a little bit of off topic for example / refence purposes in such conversations can be ok I've just cleaned this thread up somewhat. let's avoid the circular arguements, Nobody has to agree with you and nobody has to change their minds, plus nobody should need to be running down others for their opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I think people's judgement on Tevez is clouded by his golfing vacation.

He is a very good player, his goals dried up because he played a deeper role last season for City.

He can finish and his workrate is immense. The man is a proper professional on the pitch and his minor issues off of it have been blown out of proportion.

He wasn't at fault for the United saga near as much as that cnut of an agent.

His Munich hiccup was disastrous but he had the humility to come back and try to work things out and, despite what many think, he did so and him and Mancini got on well last year.

A very hard player to replace and he was much more influential than Aguero last season but it was time to call it quits with City and they knew it.

A great signing for Juve.

Great signing if the reports of the wages and transfer fee are anyway accurate.

Re the fall out with mancini there were 2 involved in that. Mancini proved himself to be a hothead during his time at city but in fairness to tevez he came back and played a big part in the title win. Imho if he and aguero had more time on the pitch together, city would have been closer to United.

On a seperate note, its another blow to the EPL. With himself, Ballotelli and likely Suarez gone within 6 months or so, its 3 of the most unpredictable and talented players gone. 3 headers alright, but great craic to watch

Great signing if the reports of the wages and transfer fee are anyway accurate.

Re the fall out with mancini there were 2 involved in that. Mancini proved himself to be a hothead during his time at city but in fairness to tevez he came back and played a big part in the title win. Imho if he and aguero had more time on the pitch together, city would have been closer to United.

On a seperate note, its another blow to the EPL. With himself, Ballotelli and likely Suarez gone within 6 months or so, its 3 of the most unpredictable and talented players gone. 3 headers alright, but great craic to watch

Well put.

Yeah it is a blow to the league to see these players leave, Higuain, Jesus Navas, Schurrle and possibly Thiago would all be good signings but they won't have the drama that adds spice to a league. The papers will be devastated!

Everton are supposedly in for Honda. Reported fee is lower than I first thought - only €2-3m :eek: and his wages aren't high either - circa €55-60k a week.

If it comes down to it, I think he'll sign for Milan but if Everton are in then somebody's on the ball there as this is a very good bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭Dr_Brian_Cocks

Well put.

Yeah it is a blow to the league to see these players leave, Higuain, Jesus Navas, Schurrle and possibly Thiago would all be good signings but they won't have the drama that adds spice to a league. The papers will be devastated!

Everton are supposedly in for Honda. Reported fee is lower than I first thought - only €2-3m :eek: and his wages aren't high either - circa €55-60k a week.

If it comes down to it, I think he'll sign for Milan but if Everton are in then somebody's on the ball there as this is a very good bargain.

What I've seen of him with Japan he attacks a lot and is too one footed and wasteful.

Advertisement