Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I dont see why United are in for Bsaines. Dont they have adequate cover in defence? Its not like their defensive record last season was poor either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

miralize wrote: »
    I dont see why United are in for Bsaines. Dont they have adequate cover in defence? Its not like their defensive record last season was poor either.

Lots of managers like to bring some familiar faces along with them when they move .

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Lots of managers like to bring some familiar faces along with them when they move .

But sure LB cant be the priority there. Fellaini?

Its like Barcelona, poor defence, but what do we buy? Neymar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

But sure LB cant be the priority there. Fellaini?

Its like Barcelona, poor defence, but what do we buy? Neymar.

If it's an upgrade they should work away. CM should obviously be United's priority though

Couldn't understand that with Barca either :p

If it's an upgrade they should work away. CM should obviously be United's priority though

Couldn't understand that with Barca either :p

But what I'm saying is, is it a 12-20m upgrade? For a position with 1 experienced and 2 youngsters? It just seems bizarre to me.

At least for Barca, you could see that we were struggling to kill games without Messi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Chelsea made a £5M bid for John Ruddy

and

Marko Marin has gone to Sevilla on a season long loan deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

swoody wrote: »
    Chelsea made a £5M bid for John Ruddy

and

Marko Marin has gone to Sevilla on a season long loan deal

Weird move with Courtois waiting in the wings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

CSF wrote: »
    Weird move with Courtois waiting in the wings

We do need cover though, Blackman our U21 g.k. is nowhere near EPL standard at the moment and with Courtois coming back next year we need somebody to cover for Cech.

I'd be surprised if Ruddy made the move though, it would all but kill any chance of a place in the WC squad if he moved.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We do need cover though, Blackman our U21 g.k. is nowhere near EPL standard at the moment and with Courtois coming back next year we need somebody to cover for Cech.

I'd be surprised if Ruddy made the move though, it would all but kill any chance of a place in the WC squad if he moved.
    What happens Cech next year?

But what I'm saying is, is it a 12-20m upgrade? For a position with 1 experienced and 2 youngsters? It just seems bizarre to me.

At least for Barca, you could see that we were struggling to kill games without Messi.

Good point. If Baines and Moyes are tight then it may help United off the pitch as well as on though. Not a great move imo either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

£5m is a lot for the "Ross Turnbull" position though. Ruddy himself would fancy starting in the Premier League surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Ruddy would be stupid to go to Chelsea . He's a good chance of going to the WC next year he's not going to do that If he's rotting on Chelsea's bench .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I personally don't think Neymar will help Barca kill off games either until he settles in. It'll be interesting to see how he can bond with the likes of Messi, Ineista, Fabegras and Xavi. He has the flair and potential talent but Spain is a thousand leagues better than Brazil's league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

CSF wrote: »
    What happens Cech next year?

Its a dog fight between himself and Courtois for the number 1 jersey I imagine.

Courtois will have by then have played 3 years in La Liga, won the UEFA Cup, played in the UCL and won the Spanish cup as well as playing for Belgium in the WC, the guy is more then ready to replace Cech, even right now.

Its a dog fight between himself and Courtois for the number 1 jersey I imagine.

Courtois will have by then have played 3 years in La Liga, won the UEFA Cup, played in the UCL and won the Spanish cup as well as playing for Belgium in the WC, the guy is more then ready to replace Cech, even right now.
    I don't see that happening. Whoever doesn't start the first game next August will probably be demanding an exit after it, similar to Hart/Given at City a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Bild say that Man City and Madrid both activated the €45m release clause in Draxler's new contract, but he turned them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Oat23 wrote: »
    Bild say that Man City and Madrid both activated the €45m release clause in Draxler's new contract, but he turned them down.

And apparently a second unknown English club, with Salaries of around 200K Euro a week offered (he is on about 55K right now).

But he turned them down, as he believes the season is too short this year to settle into another club. He doesn't want to jeopardize his World Cup Participation by having trouble to settle somewhere else.

Very grounded approach, if true.

Jose Callejon has been offered to Liverpool, Napoli and Fiorentina

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Stoke sign Erik Pieters from PSV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Sky Italy and Tancredi Palmeri reporting that Southampton have bid €20M for Spurs long time target Brazilian striker Leandro Damião. Now that's ambitious, can't see it happening myself.

Duzzie wrote: »
    Sky Italy and Tancredi Palmeri reporting that Southampton have bid €20M for Spurs long time target Brazilian striker Leandro Damião. Now that's ambitious, can't see it happening myself.
    Haha wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Wouldn't believe a word from Palmeri, he's building up quite a reputation for being completely unreliable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

He's a grade A bullsh*tter, wouldn't believe a word he says until there's some sort of real source confirming it

Seems the story originated from Sky Italy reporter Gianluca Di Marzio, I know nothing about him. Palmeri was quoting him.

99% of these stories are bull**** but I doubt it was made up out of thin air. Southampton have been impressive in the transfer market so far, this could be their marquee signing

• Advertisement

99% of these stories are bull**** but I doubt it was made up out of thin air. Southampton have been impressive in the transfer market so far, this could be their marquee signing

Unfortunately it appears to have only resulted in one player so far. All the talk of Astori, Stoch, Wanyama, Banega, Bueno, Lens and Verdu has come to nothing.

Milan linked with Vidic again. Would be a terrible signing. He's still considered "one of the best around" in his position but that's nonsense imo.

The man is 31, has only played 33 games in all competitions in the last 2 years and he went off in a lot of them. For me, he was great in his prime but he's past it and very injury prone and no top club should be signing him to be their number 1 centre back.

Unfortunately it appears to have only resulted in one player so far. All the talk of Astori, Stoch, Wanyama, Banega, Bueno, Lens and Verdu has come to nothing.

True. But it was a good signing and the fact they're being linked to good players like Banega etc. will inadvertently help them to attract other good players!

Damiao would be an excellent signing for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Good signing for them, not so good for Marc Wilson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Chelsea to send Marin out on loan to Sevilla for next season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23104672

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Milan linked with Vidic again. Would be a terrible signing. He's still considered "one of the best around" in his position but that's nonsense imo.

The man is 31, has only played 33 games in all competitions in the last 2 years and he went off in a lot of them. For me, he was great in his prime but he's past it and very injury prone and no top club should be signing him to be their number 1 centre back.

Never going to happen unless it was on a free. One of the few deals where i'm relieved we're skint. We were linked with Ljajic and Quintero today now either of them i'd take but we'll get neither unless some mope in Brazil bids for that fat washed up dustbin Robinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

A load of nonsense really Vidic is still one of the best in the world at cb. He has become a bit injury prone but is still brilliant. Just look at United at the start of last season leaking goals. Look at the second half of the season when Vidic was back and they conceded the least amount of goals in the 2nd half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Not at all. For the right price he'd be an outstanding signing.

That said I don't think Milan should go down that road, and I don't think they will. Vidic will do a job but it'll be a short term solution. Milans MO seems to be looking for young players with potential and that's probably the route they'll go down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Well with so much time left in the window I wouldn't be surprised if they added to Lovern who imo could be a very good signing for them (unless of course you werent talking about this window and meant Gaston Ramirez). If they could even get in 1/2 players of the quality they have been linked to they would be doing brilliantly.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    A load of nonsense really Vidic is still one of the best in the world at cb. He has become a bit injury prone but is still brilliant. Just look at United at the start of last season leaking goals. Look at the second half of the season when Vidic was back and they conceded the least amount of goals in the 2nd half of the season.

A bit injury prone? He played 33 games in all competitions over the last 2 years and didn't even complete a lot of them. He might be good when he plays (I don't think he's as good as the likes of Thiago Silva, Chiellini, Sergio Ramos or Kompany who are the best around at the minute imo.

I think it'd be a shocking poor signing, the focus on youth will come good with patience and this would be a big step backwards.

Then again, if selling El Shaarawy is a possibility then anything goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

A bit injury prone? He played 33 games in all competitions over the last 2 years and didn't even complete a lot of them. He might be good when he plays (I don't think he's as good as the likes of Thiago Silva, Chiellini, Sergio Ramos or Kompany who are the best around at the minute imo.

I think it'd be a shocking poor signing, the focus on youth will come good with patience and this would be a big step backwards.

Then again, if selling El Shaarawy is a possibility then anything goes

He had a cruciate knee ligament injury that kept him out for the majority of one of those seasons and had a related knee injury during his recovery, it seems to be solved now though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Yeah nobody said he isn't good its the fact Milan have spent the last few years trying to get big earning aging players off the books it wouldn't be that clever.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Wouldn't believe a word from Palmeri, he's building up quite a reputation for being completely unreliable.

Like wildfire his word being gospel has spread this summer. He's no Ballague when it comes to BS, but some of the ****e he's spouted off in the past would have you thinking he's not far off being the Italian version of Ballague.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

If this was said before World Cup 2010, I'd be dying from laughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Is Baines the only current english international rumoured to be moving?

Can see a much larger amount of foreign players in England next season which will eventually mean english internationals playing in the Champo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Rooney is certainly a potential goer.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Can see a much larger amount of foreign players in England next season which will eventually mean english internationals playing in the Champo.
    Lescott and Defoe (I think) also.

dreamers75 wrote: »

there are plenty of english players moving......most aren't in the prem! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Unless both Damiao and Villa go to Spurs Defoe won't be leaving. And he may not leave even if those 2 do come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Isn't Damiao one of those terribly overrated Brazilian players? Slow, poor feet and generally not good enough for the top level yet he's forever being linked with Spurs.

Danny Levy is probably trying to get him for a £5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Does Lescoot play for england :eek:

Sevilla mate told me spanish FA were involved in Isoc deal to ensure he stayed in spain. How true that is i dont know but other countries seem to try and ensure their top talents stay in their countries.

Man City brought in Navas to replace Milner, all other clubs will look to do the same. Which will have a massive effect on the english national team. Unless the top 5 or 6 buy english players.

Shelvey heading to boyhood heroes West Ham, Swansea or Norwich for £5M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Isn't Damiao one of those terribly overrated Brazilian players? Slow, poor feet and generally not good enough for the top level yet he's forever being linked with Spurs.

Danny Levy is probably trying to get him for a £5.
    Don't know about the first part but yeah, one of the most drawn out and boring transfer 'sagas' in recent times. Last part sounds about right too, he might even be trying to get them to pay Damiao's wages. I've never seen him play so I'm a bit indifferent to whole idea tbh, I'd rather we signed Soldado/Negredo and Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

The only time I have really seen Damiao play was in the olympics where he finished top scorer and he was very good but thats a pretty limited number of games.

Advertisement