Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I read somewhere that a number of the French clubs had been putting pressure on the football association to bring Monaco under the same tax rules as the other clubs as it offers them an unfair advantage. They will be putting even more pressure on if this transfer goes through!

I read that article too, I'm sure Falcao would be getting contractual conditions over any changes like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I read somewhere that a number of the French clubs had been putting pressure on the football association to bring Monaco under the same tax rules as the other clubs as it offers them an unfair advantage. They will be putting even more pressure on if this transfer goes through!

Theyre trying to get Monaco to relocate in France to avoid them getting an advantage due to the tax laws. FFF ordered Monaco to pay 200m to stay in Monaco (I think that was it), Monaco are currently appealing. Only a problem now for other teams as theyve got lots of money, never been a problem before :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Falcao to Monaco is now 1/3 .. Talk about greed

Get to live in the south of france or monaco and earn a fortune whilst becoming a club legend for dragging them up the Ligue 1 table because moving to another moneybags club or staying where he is for similar wage isnt greedy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

Who else do you think is willing to pay his transfer fee & who do you think he should sign for?
    Monaco are a pretty big club, I'm sure they'll be competing for trophies over the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭CSF

bhamsteve wrote: »
    Who else do you think is willing to pay his transfer fee & who do you think he should sign for?
    Monaco are a pretty big club, I'm sure they'll be competing for trophies over the next few years.
    Monaco are not a big club. How are they a big club?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Im sure Falcao is salivating over the thought of winning the ligue 2 trophy with Monaco.

CSF wrote: »

Not a big club but lots of money and should be massive in the next couple of years. Who wouldn't want that money and the lifestyle there? Maybe he could go somewhere else but I wouldn't blame him for going there, has a lot going for it right now.

Monaco will be in Ligue 1 next year so he wouldn't be going to the 2nd Division

TheGunns wrote: »
    Not a big club but lots of money and should be massive in the next couple of years. Who wouldn't want that money and the lifestyle there? Maybe he could go somewhere else but I wouldn't blame him for going there, has a lot going for it right now.

Monaco will be in Ligue 1 next year so he wouldn't be going to the 2nd Division

They'll have lots of money. I didn't dispute that. That is why he will go there. But the lad claiming it wasn't financial and that they're actually a big club was miles off.

• Advertisement

Trophies won over the last 30 years, a long list of superb players during the same period, the glamour of the location, one of the most impressive stadia in Europe.
    We can argue semantics if you like, my definition of big could be different to yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Falcao never struck me as that type of player, but obviously as usual money talks. As an Atletico Madrid fan I'm happy enough as at least it means he won't end up at Real Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Wow, who would have thought Falcao was a mercenary. Always seemed different.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Trophies won over the last 30 years, a long list of superb players during the same period, the glamour of the location, one of the most impressive stadia in Europe.
    We can argue semantics if you like, my definition of big could be different to yours.

Champions league finalist a few years back with Evra, Jerome Rothen and Dado Prso in the team

Montroseee wrote: »
    Wow, who would have thought Falcao was a mercenary. Always seemed different.

Hes gone from each European club in 2 seasons, he was always going to leave. Going to Monaco doesn't make him a mercenary, he was pretty much one before. Won't stay at any club for too long as he's shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The stadium is actually tiny. Beautiful, but tiny. Only seats 18000.

Monaco were fairly well supported by young people when I lived there. Nice weren't in Ligue 1 at the time and OM are fairly marmiteish so that was probably a factor.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I would agree, they have produced good teams and developed some brilliant youth players.They have won domestic trophies and have twice runners up in Europe.The location is superb and their stadium isn't huge but is very impressive,add in their new found wealth and they are an attractive club for players.

Gbear wrote: »
    The stadium is actually tiny. Beautiful, but tiny. Only seats 18000.
    Monaco were fairly well supported by young people when I lived there. Nice weren't in Ligue 1 at the time and OM are fairly marmiteish so that was probably a factor.

Stunning stadium, especially lit up for an evening game. One day I'll hop off my super yacht and go to a game there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Stunning stadium, especially lit up for an evening game. One day I'll hop off my super yacht and go to a game there.
    might see ya there
    thinking of heading off in my yacht too as well
    was talking to Roman about it last week ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Marseille, Lyon, and PSG are big clubs in France

Then you have the next tier consisting of St. Etienne, Bordeaux and Monaco. Perhaps Lille too at a push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

They got to a champions league final within the last ten years

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

carlop wrote: »
    Falcao never struck me as that type of player, but obviously as usual money talks. As an Atletico Madrid fan I'm happy enough as at least it means he won't end up at Real Madrid.

Why do you think he took such a sideways step from Porto to Atletico

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Marseille, Lyon, and PSG are big clubs in France

Then you have the next tier consisting of St. Etienne, Bordeaux and Monaco. Perhaps Lille too at a push.

Yawn....
    Marseille, yes.
    PSG have only ever won two french league titles, but are now a billionaires w@nk-sock.
    Lyon hadn't won a thing until Marseille and Lyon imploded, very successful over the last decade & well supported now.
    St Etienne, not won too much recently, historically a big club.

During the time I have been following football late 80s-now the three biggest clubs in france have been Marseille, Monaco and in recent years Lyon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Once he's not making life difficult in the PL, I don't care where he goes :P

Dempsey wrote: »
    Get to live in the south of france or monaco and earn a fortune whilst becoming a club legend for dragging them up the Ligue 1 table because moving to another moneybags club or staying where he is for similar wage isnt greedy?

1. What does living in the South of France have to do with anything? He's living in a nice temperate climate as it is. It'd be different if he was/spoke French but he doesn't.

2."Earn a fortune" - Hence why I said greedy. He already earns a fortune.

3. I doubt Falcao's dream is to become a Monaco club legend?

4. He will be receiving a much higher net income if he plays for Monaco due to their tax structure so he won't be on the same wage. If he moved to Chelsea or Munich or the likes at least you could see that he wants to win the Premiership/Play the best football he can in the champions league. What he's doing is greedy plain and simple (If he goes through with it).

Chelsea and City are both interested and both have more than enough cash/are willing to spend. To compare Monaco to these clubs is nonsensical. Liverpool won the champions league in 2005 and reached the final in '07. Yet they wouldn't be considered a title contender in the premiership anymore.

For me, if he joins Monaco when there are other clubs willing to buy him such as Chelsea, City etc. then it is greedy and I'd have it on par with the likes of Remy joining QPR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

He would of been called greedy if he went to Chelsea/Man City 8/9 years ago. You have to start somewhere.

Wasn't Barry called greedy for joining City over Liverpool? He's definitely made the right decision there.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Monaco a bigger club then PSG??

CornetteFace.jpg

Greedy to turn down man city, I've never heard that one before!
    Not every player in the world wants to come to the premier league. Actually, the numbers of world class players in the premier league has been decreasing for a while. He has served his previous clubs well and left them in profit. I don't understand the outrage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

1. What does living in the South of France have to do with anything? He's living in a nice temperate climate as it is. It'd be different if he was/spoke French but he doesn't.

While Madrid isn't the worst city in the world (it's actually pretty nice), I'd much rather live in Monte Carlo or Menton or Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Monaco a bigger club then PSG??

CornetteFace.jpg

yeah and its not even close.

Monaco have a few years head start on them tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The South of France is a huge attraction for a lot of people. He's also getting well paid (not like he is getting paid minimum wage now) and obviously believes the club have a good chance next season. I dont see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Monaco a bigger club then PSG?
    Significantly so. Until their recent injection of cash PSG were primarily known for a) being the Paris club and b) constantly underachieving

Average attendances of about 5000, 7 titles in the ****in French league, no European titles. Your definition of big is very generous.

You would be an easy woman to please.

Seaneh wrote: »
    While Madrid isn't the worst city in the world (it's actually pretty nice), I'd much rather live in Monte Carlo or Menton or Nice.

I know what you mean but he's a world class footballer, his main priority should be playing at the highest level possible.
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    The South of France is a huge attraction for a lot of people. He's also getting well paid (not like he is getting paid minimum wage now) and obviously believes the club have a good chance next season. I dont see the problem.

The only thing Monaco have a chance of next season is winning the league? It doesn't make much sense to leave Atletico to join a team like Monaco, it'll be years before they reach Atletico's current level and, in my opinion, there's so many better options available to him. It just doesn't make sense to take such a step down for any reason other than money.

2."Earn a fortune" - Hence why I said greedy. He already earns a fortune.

3. I doubt Falcao's dream is to become a Monaco club legend?

4. He will be receiving a much higher net income if he plays for Monaco due to their tax structure so he won't be on the same wage. If he moved to Chelsea or Munich or the likes at least you could see that he wants to win the Premiership/Play the best football he can in the champions league. What he's doing is greedy plain and simple (If he goes through with it).

1. Its nicer to live in than England or Germany

2. He's earning the going rate for a player of his calibre, nothing greedy about that.

3. Falcao's dream isnt to be loved by fans of a football club, a club with European Pedigree? :rolleyes:

4. Why not earn more, nothing greedy about that. He has plenty of silverware to his name as it is. Nothing wrong with going to a club to help rebuild it to its former glory. It wont be long before he would be playing European Football with Monaco if they buy him. He can play at the highest level if he goes to Monaco.

1. Its nicer to live in than England or Germany

2. He's earning the going rate for a player of his calibre, nothing greedy about that.

3. Falcao's dream isnt to be loved by fans of a football club, a club with European Pedigree? :rolleyes:

4. Why not earn more, nothing greedy about that. He has plenty of silverware to his name as it is. Nothing wrong with going to a club to help rebuild it to its former glory. It wont be long before he would be playing European Football with Monaco if they buy him. He can play at the highest level if he goes to Monaco.

3. He has such quality he would be loved by fans of any club? And what is thsi european pedigree people are talking about? They got to one champions league final and didn't even win it and they haven't been one of the biggest forces in Europe over the years? :confused:

I've nothing against the lad at all and if I was in a position to make the money footballer's are making I'd milk it for everything it was worth. But for the love of God, call a spade a spade.

Answer me this. What do you think Falcao's biggest reason for moving to Monaco is?

3. He has such quality he would be loved by fans of any club? And what is thsi european pedigree people are talking about? They got to one champions league final and didn't even win it and they haven't been one of the biggest forces in Europe over the years? :confused:

I've nothing against the lad at all and if I was in a position to make the money footballer's are making I'd milk it for everything it was worth. But for the love of God, call a spade a spade.

Answer me this. What do you think Falcao's biggest reason for moving to Monaco is?

I remember Monaco being in the Champions League regularly and bringing through lots of talented players over the years. You too young to remember that?

You make it sound like getting to a UCL final can be done by any club! :rolleyes:

Trying to win the Ligue 1 off a PSG side that will be the fear of Europe in a few years time is not a worthy challenge I suppose. Anyone that doesnt want to play in England is mad!! Of course money is a factor, he should try to earn all he can whilst he can.

I remember Monaco being in the Champions League regularly and bringing through lots of talented players over the years. You too young to remember that?

You make it sound like getting to a UCL final can be done by any club! :rolleyes:

Trying to win the Ligue 1 off a PSG side that will be the fear of Europe in a few years time is not a worthy challenge I suppose. Anyone that doesnt want to play in England is mad!! Of course money is a factor, he should try to earn all he can whilst he can.

So is that what qualifies for being a club with European pedigree these days? There has been 39 different European Cup/Champions league finalists since it's beginning. I wouldn't call Monaco a club with European pedigree, and not just because they've never won it (look at Arsenal) but also because they haven't competed in the competition in 7 years.

Less of the sarcasm please. I have absolutely no problem with players not playing in England (I'm a Milan Fan). How is trying to win the Ligue 1 any worthier than trying to break the horse race that is La Liga. With 1 or 2 decent signings Atletico are more than capable of challenging for La Liga honours next season and will be a force to be reckoned with in the Champions League.

There we have it squeezed in at the end of your post. Money. The only possible reason a player of Falcao's calibre would leave a club like Atletico, who are in the Champions League and will challenge for the La Liga next season, to join Monaco, a club who are only getting promoted from French football's 2nd tier.

Like I said, nothing against the lad, but call a spade a spade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The only possible reason a player of Falcao's calibre would leave a club like Atletico, who are in the Champions League and will challenge for the La Liga next season, to join Monaco, a club who are only getting promoted from French football's 2nd tier.

No chance at all that he, I dont know, wants to play for Monaco for some reason? Money could be the reason but it doesnt mean it is. Could be any number of reasons.

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    No chance at all that he, I dont know, wants to play for Monaco for some reason? Money could be the reason but it doesnt mean it is. Could be any number of reasons.

Yeah I suppose i'm being a bit one-sided but for a player like him who has no ties to the club whatsoever it just seems like it's blatantly about money to me :confused:

They still have a big history in European Competition, wont be long before they get back to adding to that.

Maybe he's not willing to wait any longer for Atletico to compete. Its a short career and he might want to ply his trade in Ligue 1.

If you think money isnt one of the main motivations for a footballer then you are deluded. I suppose you think all the Milan players are there purely for the glory of Milan and their wages never was a factor? Give me a break. It goes back to my original statement, he's no more greedy than any other footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Don't blame a player moving for money, but just don't come out with 'ambition' talk at the same time.

They still have a big history in European Competition, wont be long before they get back to adding to that.

Maybe he's not willing to wait any longer for Atletico to compete. Its a short career and he might want to ply his trade in Ligue 1.

If you think money isnt one of the main motivations for a footballer then you are deluded. I suppose you think all the Milan players are there purely for the glory of Milan and their wages never was a factor? Give me a break. It goes back to my original statement, he's no more greedy than any other footballer.

If you think money is one of the main motivations for every footballer then you are equally deluded. Not all players are the same.

Several Milan players took pay cuts in recent years so they could stay at the club and prove their worth (Flamini, Muntari, several over 30's) and several former players offered to take pay cuts to come back (Kaka, Balotelli even took a pay cut to join) so yes there are plenty of players, at Milan alone, that care more about playing at the highest level and winning/helping the team than they do money.

Well in my opinion, given his current circumstances as well as those of Atletico and Monaco, if he goes ahead and joins Monaco then I will forever associate him with greed.

If you think money is one of the main motivations for every footballer then you are equally deluded. Not all players are the same.

Several Milan players took pay cuts in recent years so they could stay at the club and prove their worth (Flamini, Muntari, several over 30's) and several former players offered to take pay cuts to come back (Kaka, Balotelli even took a pay cut to join) so yes there are plenty of players, at Milan alone, that care more about playing at the highest level and winning/helping the team than they do money.

Well in my opinion, given his current circumstances as well as those of Atletico and Monaco, if he goes ahead and joins Monaco then I will forever associate him with greed.

players over 30 usually dont see pay increases. pay cuts for higher signing on fees and shorter contract s is the usual craic. nice spin on things though!

humour me, what was balotellis pay cut?

players over 30 usually dont see pay increases. pay cuts for higher signing on fees and shorter contract s is the usual craic. nice spin on things though!

True, call it what you like though, a pay cut is still a pay cut. You only seem to point to the negatives? Nothing to say about Flamini? Muntari? Kaka?

He took a pay cut of almost 1 million. He now earns €4m per year. Look it up, it was well publicized around the time he was moving.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8452905/milan-close-on-mario

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/acmilan/id/1181?cc=5739

• Advertisement

Mario took a pay cut of about €1million a year gross but his net would be even more of a cut as the tax rate in Italy is higher than in the UK.

Flamini took a cut from €80,000 per week to about €30,000.

Bonera went from €50,000 to about 30k.

Ambrosini went from about 45k to about 20k, as did Gattauso.

Yepes is on less than 20k a week after dropping from an initial 40k.

Zambrotta 2 seasons before he left cut his wages in half in his last 2 year extension.

Inzaghi's wages last season were about 19k a week, down year on year from about 70k a week not too long before that, he was a million years old though.

Even at United you have Giggs, Fletcher, Scholes and others taking fairly large paycuts to keep playing.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Yawn....
    Marseille, yes.
    PSG have only ever won two french league titles, but are now a billionaires w@nk-sock.
    Lyon hadn't won a thing until Marseille and Lyon imploded, very successful over the last decade & well supported now.
    St Etienne, not won too much recently, historically a big club.

During the time I have been following football late 80s-now the three biggest clubs in france have been Marseille, Monaco and in recent years Lyon.

As you said, semantics. So don't give this Yawn.... crap.

Monaco have done the square of **** all since 2003/2004 season. Quite simply, they in the truest essence have been irrelevant and irrelevant for the past decade pretty much. You say St. Etienne is historically a big club? Yeah, I agree with that. But if they are, then so is Monaco as of right now. Living off their past up to this point, but unlike Monaco, at least St. Etienne can boast about being one of the very best supported clubs in the country.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    As you said, semantics. So don't give this Yawn.... crap.

Monaco have done the square of **** all since 2003/2004 season. Quite simply, they in the truest essence have been irrelevant and irrelevant for the past decade pretty much. You say St. Etienne is historically a big club? Yeah, I agree with that. But if they are, then so is Monaco as of right now. Living off their past up to this point, but unlike Monaco, at least St. Etienne can boast about being one of the very best supported clubs in the country.

The yawn was me getting fustrated at having to defend an opinion for half the bl00dy day against several people. My initial statement was; Monaco are a pretty big club. I don't think that is unreasonable, but then said very early that it was a matter of semantics. I just pitty the people having to read the thread this morning.
    FWIW, when I was young Monaco were a "special" ,glamorous club. At a time when the English league was at it's lowest ebb post Heysel, they were one of the better teams in Europe. I still associate that status with them, regardless of them being out of the picture for 8 or 9 years. It seems that some posters share my thoughts, others don't so shall we leave it at that?

Reports in Italy this afternoon that Juventus have agreed a wage deal with Gonzalo Higuain and just have to agree a fee with Real now.

Him and Llorente upfront for Juve next season would be a massive improvement for them over the current strikers.

True, call it what you like though, a pay cut is still a pay cut. You only seem to point to the negatives? Nothing to say about Flamini? Muntari? Kaka?

He took a pay cut of almost 1 million. He now earns €4m per year. Look it up, it was well publicized around the time he was moving.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8452905/milan-close-on-mario

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/acmilan/id/1181?cc=5739
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Mario took a pay cut of about €1million a year gross but his net would be even more of a cut as the tax rate in Italy is higher than in the UK.

Flamini took a cut from €80,000 per week to about €30,000.

Bonera went from €50,000 to about 30k.

Ambrosini went from about 45k to about 20k, as did Gattauso.

Yepes is on less than 20k a week after dropping from an initial 40k.

Zambrotta 2 seasons before he left cut his wages in half in his last 2 year extension.

Inzaghi's wages last season were about 19k a week, down year on year from about 70k a week not too long before that, he was a million years old though.

Even at United you have Giggs, Fletcher, Scholes and others taking fairly large paycuts to keep playing.

You heard it here first, Milan players arent greedy, money isnt a motivating factor. Its all about the club and trophies. I heard it all now.

Players over 30 taking pay cuts is nothing new, all those players are probably still getting more than they would elsewhere for a players of their ability and age. Spin it whatever way you like though.

Also, players on the continent negotiate wages after tax. In England they negotiate & talk about gross. Italy's highest tax band is not as high as England either. Dunno what made you think that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement