Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Soooo.......then...Transfers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

CSF wrote: »
    How? If I said Bayern were the best in the world during the 10/11 season, and my friends laughed at me, I'm not in a position to say I have the last laugh now.

if you said it at the start of last season it woudl arguably though but either way that is subjective, if arsenal bring ppl in it confirms his assertion that they are in the process of it unless they do some very quick work. if they get any of fellaini, higuain or rooney then either the papers lucked out or were correct, whichever it is mikey will be shown to have been right.

There is a whole lot of negativity on this forum lately with people sniping all sides, sorry if I came across as hostile but it's a response to the bull**** that people seem to want nobody to post anything that isnt from a clubs official presser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

How is it trivial? I didn't come into the conversation all guns blazing, I just pointed out that they have shown no major signs of doing anything major yet, which they haven't.

so Higuain wouldn't be major a sign of intent?

or the 23mil bid for L.Bender?

Arsenal had better make a massive move this summer. Along with increased TV monies and sponsorship they've just freed up at least 300k per week in pay, that alone should go towards a couple of new players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

How is it trivial? I didn't come into the conversation all guns blazing, I just pointed out that they have shown no major signs of doing anything major yet, which they haven't.

You're being silly. Stop being silly.

You tried to play down moves for Cesar, Higuain and Rooney.
    Even if they don't get Rooney, as you state, it obviously shows the type of player they're going for. It's not like they're going to say "Well, Rooney is staying at ManU, so instead lets sign a french U-17 striker." No. They're going to move to another similarly talented player.

The point of the original message you took umbrage with was simply how exciting next season would be with the rumoured moves.

Yours posts since then have just come across as childish and nit-picky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    You're being silly. Stop being silly.

You tried to play down moves for Cesar, Higuain and Rooney.
    Even if they don't get Rooney, as you state, it obviously shows the type of player they're going for. It's not like they're going to say "Well, Rooney is staying at ManU, so instead lets sign a french U-17 striker." No. They're going to move to another similarly talented player.

The point of the original message you took umbrage with was simply how exciting next season would be with the rumoured moves.

Yours posts since then have just come across as childish and nit-picky.

I didn't play down Higuain. I played down Cesar and said I don't think Rooney will go there.

I don't get how the posts are childish and nit-picky, I now feel as though everyone else knows that Arsenal are going to have a great window and I've no idea what they'll do, and I don't know the information they have that I don't. Repeat, I'm not saying Arsenal will have a **** window, I'm just wondering what everyone knows that I don't!!

It is of course you bring silly. Stop being silly and having a silly username.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    so Higuain wouldn't be major a sign of intent?

or the 23mil bid for L.Bender?

Higuain would be a very good signing in an area they need a very good signing. Bender would be too but Leverkusen seem adamant they don't want to sell and when rejecting that kind of bid, you'd be inclined to believe them.

Higuain would be a very good signing in an area they need a very good signing. Bender would be too but Leverkusen seem adamant they don't want to sell and when rejecting that kind of bid, you'd be inclined to believe them.

yes to both your points there

but you said "I just pointed out that they have shown no major signs of doing anything major yet, which they haven't."

would them attempted signings not be a major sign of doing something?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    yes to both your points there

but you said "I just pointed out that they have shown no major signs of doing anything major yet, which they haven't."

would them attempted signings not be a major sign of doing something?
    I wasn't referring to intent. I know Arsenal want to sign good players this window. I meant that there were no major signs that any of the other linked transfers will happen (I don't see the Rooney, Bender or Fellaini ones happening personally) apart from the Higuain thing who I think will join.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I wasn't referring to intent. I know Arsenal want to sign good players this window. I meant that there were no major signs that any of the other linked transfers will happen (I don't see the Rooney, Bender or Fellaini ones happening personally) apart from the Higuain thing who I think will join.

So no major signs of doing anything major yet. Except for the major sign of getting Higuain, which is something major.

Right.

So no major signs of doing anything major yet. Except for the major sign of getting Higuain, which is something major.

Right.

I had acknowledged Higuain from the beginning but whatever...

This is getting ridiculous. Way too much freakout over the following

Person 1: Arsenal are bringing in top quality
    Person 2: They haven't signed anyone of note yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

if you said it at the start of last season it woudl arguably though but either way that is subjective, if arsenal bring ppl in it confirms his assertion that they are in the process of it unless they do some very quick work. if they get any of fellaini, higuain or rooney then either the papers lucked out or were correct, whichever it is mikey will be shown to have been right.

There is a whole lot of negativity on this forum lately with people sniping all sides, sorry if I came across as hostile but it's a response to the bull**** that people seem to want nobody to post anything that isnt from a clubs official presser.

Just a final note on this, while I agree with everything you said, it's not about me being right. I merely said I thought Arsenal are looking good and the season is going to be exciting, there is nothing to be right or wrong about, this argument has come out of thin air and should have stopped a page and a half ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Just a final note on this, while I agree with everything you said, it's not about me being right. I merely said I thought Arsenal are looking good and the season is going to be exciting, there is nothing to be right or wrong about, this argument has come out of thin air and should have stopped a page and a half ago.

I agree with CSF, they can't look good until they actually sign someone.

Right now they're shipping out one or two bits of deadwood but if no one replaces them then all they've done is shed some of the wage bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Person 1: Arsenal are bringing in top quality
    Person 2: They haven't signed anyone of note yet.

I don't see anything wrong with what Person 1 said. He didn't say Arsenal have brought anyone of note in, just that it was in progress :confused:

Xavi6 wrote: »

Right now they're shipping out one or two bits of deadwood but if no one replaces them then all they've done is shed some of the wage bill.

both interpretations are right in there own way

remember that this is the first summer in about 5 years that arsenal are set/in a position to keep the better players, no buying to replace this summer.
    coupled with the increased money that for the first time in years actually appears to be ready to be spent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

That's fair enough but can you see where I'm coming from? I believe that Higuain and Cesar are certs, and I would rate them as big improvements. I am fairly confident they won't stop their either. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, as am I and those who agreed with me.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    That's fair enough but can you see where I'm coming from? I believe that Higuain and Cesar are certs, and I would rate them as big improvements. I am fairly confident they won't stop their either. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, as am I and those who agreed with me.

I do see where you're coming from but the bit in bold there probably sums it up - I'm very much a glass half empty person when it comes to transfers! Nothing is a cert until the player is at the stadium holding a shirt with his name on the back of it, deals fall through all the time.

Of course, hopefully you're not setting yourself up for a fall and they do sign on (I like Arsenal).

Who wants to break the bad news to the United thread? :pac:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/psv-announce-man-united-target-kevin-strootman-will-stay-for-1-more-season-de-telegraaf/
    The rumours of Strootman arriving at Old Trafford from PSV have been rife recently with suggestions that the midfielder would be unveiled during David Moyes’ first week in charge.

PSV have however moved quickly to dismiss claims that Strootman could leave following a host of departures from the Eindhoven club this summer.

Technical director Marcel Brands is quoted by De Telegraaf today: “Strootman we do not want to lose. He knows himself he will stay one more year at PSV.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If Strootman and Thiago both stay at there clubs there will be a mini meltdown but one in which Utd fans are used to it year on year with trying to sign a CM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sure we'll sign that fella off seville to partner Thiago instead.... all is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think CSF has a valid point how many times have dead Cerys in transfers changed their decisions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Higuain would be a great signing and looks pretty much done. Arsenal find themselves in a great position this season. It's fairly unique to have any season where the three teams that finished ahead of them all change manager in the summer.

While solid arguments could be made saying that City and Chelsea have improved, there is still a good chance that there will be at least some settling-in period in which they might drop points they wouldn't normally drop. United are a bit of a mystery this season, though my gut feeling tells me they will struggle.

This is Arsenal's best shot at the league title for quite some time. I don't think they'll quite pull it off, but I do think that they will be serious contenders well into thee new year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

... and yet, El Confidencial reports today that Arsenal haven't even bid for Higuain yet.

Until he's on Arsenal.com holding up the jersey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Stop being silly and having a silly username.

Ouch.
    (For what it's worth, I agree. 'Tis a silly username.)

... and yet, El Confidencial reports today that Arsenal haven't even bid for Higuain yet.

I love the transfer window and rumours but hate all the hes very close and a source has said hes wants to go here talk.

Until the club confirm it I'd take everything with a side of salt, still wont stop the speculating and wondering though.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I love the transfer window and rumours but hate all the hes very close and a source has said hes wants to go here talk.

Until the club confirm it I'd take everything with a side of salt, still wont stop the speculating and wondering though.
    My Favourite is on twitter where one source will be massively discredited for getting something wrong.

Then an hour later they put out another rumour that is as equally ridiculous and everyone is tweeting about how there team will line up next season with this new target in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

:pac: WTF

Sky sources: QPR agree £12m deal to sell Christopher Samba back to Anzhi Makhachkala

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

:pac: WTF

Sky sources: QPR agree £12m deal to sell Christopher Samba back to Anzhi Makhachkala

The same price they paid for him.... Smacks of being a deal in place if they were relegated. Informally maybe, but no coincidence, I'd wager.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal sign Jerry Flannery.

I'd be surprised if more of the QPR's players dont leave on relegation clauses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

El Confidencial is pretty unreliable. They had Isco to City as a done deal two days before he went to Real Madrid.

They also managed to have the following two stories on their home page:

Juan Carlos Navarro to play the European Basketball Championships.

Juan Carlos Navarro to miss European Basketball Championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Oat23 wrote: »
    PSV have signed Adam Maher for €8m.
    Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Brilliant signing.
    brilliant business. will probably be sold on for 15m+ next season

News came out the deal is, partially, financed by a foreign investor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Chris Sambas agent in the biggest cowboy around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Adel Taarabt could be off to Lazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

ASOT wrote: »

A Bunch of Cowboys Ted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I was just about to lol

then realised it was true.

TG4 are going to be pissed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Just as an intern. Hes going to be doing the laundry for the first few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Samba didn't stay long at QPR.

Via skysports.com

Sky sources: QPR agree £12m deal to sell Christopher Samba back to Anzhi Makhachkala #SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

DenMan wrote: »
    Samba didn't stay long at QPR.

Via skysports.com

Sky sources: QPR agree £12m deal to sell Christopher Samba back to Anzhi Makhachkala #SSN
    Bafflingly bewildering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Must have been some fine print in the returns policy in Samba's contract :D

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Rumour going around of Aubameyang to Dortmund. He's been linked once or twice over the past few months I'd be delighted with BVB signing him.

Dortmund and Saint Etienne have agreed a €15 million fee for Aubameyang apparently..... just a shame it's Sky Italia who is reporting it or I'd be excited :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

That Samba deal has something seriously dodgy about it.

Since the January window in 2012 he has now moved to Anzhi, from Anzhi and now back to Anzhi all for around the same reported fee (£12.3m, £12.5m & ~£12m). Now I don't pretend to watch Russian football, but how can a man who went there for a fee that was more than he was worth (alright he had built a decent reputation at Blackburn and perhaps their project in Russia could lead them to paying over the odds), come back to the Premiership for the same ludicrous money and on a ludicrous wage, play absolutely pish, and then at 29 return to his former club for the exact same money :confused:

Makes me wonder that there had to have been some agreement in place between QPR and Anzhi and that if QPR had beat the drop that Anzhi could've been in for a second serious payday.

Few small moves, Middlesboro signed free agent Dean Whitehead today, Birmingham got Kyle Bartley, Watford getting Carlos Acuna from Udinese on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

ASOT wrote: »

Or the best agent in the business. He could give Robbie Keane's agent a run for his money,
    probably lots of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Allan McGregor seals his move to Hull for £1.8million.

Bruce seems to be making some very solid signings - Figueroa, Davies & Elmohamedy on a permenant deal so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Allan McGregor seals his move to Hull for £1.8million.

Bruce seems to be making some very solid signings - Figueroa, Davies & Elmohamedy on a permenant deal so far
    Fig and McGregor are grand, Davies is always an accident waiting to happen and Elmohamedy is a Championship player at the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Aubameyang to Dortmund apparently been agreed for 15m euro. Cracking signing

• Advertisement
Advertisement