Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Sunderland have made a £5M offer for Tom Huddlestone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Aubameyang to Dortmund apparently been agreed for 15m euro. Cracking signing

I wonder will Milan get a few quid since they flogged him to SE not that long ago. I shudder to think what they sold him for a few years back.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Robinho to Santos is nearing it's conclusion and in turn Honda to Milan (already an agreement between player and club to join) according to one of Brazil's more reliable papers Globo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

GTR63 wrote: »
    I wonder will Milan get a few quid since they flogged him to SE not that long ago. I shudder to think what they sold him for a few years back.

According to soccerway he left for 1.8m euro in 2011 after few loan spells. I'd be surprised if Milan get anything as you'd think SE would have asked for more considering. He'll fly at Dortmund with that pacy attacking movement they have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Oat23 wrote: »
    PSV have signed Adam Maher for €8m.

Fantastic talent

Fowler87 wrote: »
    According to soccerway he left for 1.8m euro in 2011 after few loan spells. I'd be surprised if Milan get anything as you'd think SE would have asked for more considering. He'll fly at Dortmund with that pacy attacking movement they have

God 1.8m terrible business that.
    Can't wait for Robinho to leave Milan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

At the time he didn't look like he'd be all that good to be honest. Himself and his brothers were all looking like very "meh" signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

If they don't start looking for a reasonable fee for him then nobody will take him!

Honda would be an exciting enough signing

Seaneh wrote: »
    At the time he didn't look like he'd be all that good to be honest. Himself and his brothers were all looking like very "meh" signings.
    Ah but he scored a winning goal in the highly prestigious Berlusconi cup years ago.
    If they don't start looking for a reasonable fee for him then nobody will take him!
    He has 1 year left so we need to get rid of him this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Aubameyang for €13m according to Bild, not €15m.

Cracking deal and still over €25m left to spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

"Sky sources understand that Paris St Germain have lodged a £43million bid for Napoli striker Edinson Cavani."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Will this Aubameyang replace Lewandowski or play on the wings letting Reus playing more central ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Swansea sign Alejandro Pozuelo from Real Betis for an undisclosed fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Stoke City sign defender Marc Muniesa from Barcelona on a free transfer .

Bit of a difference in philosophy between the 2 clubs .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

From the beauty of Barcelona to the sh1thole of Stoke. The poor guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Stoke City sign defender Marc Muniesa from Barcelona on a free transfer .

Bit of a difference in philosophy between the 2 clubs .
    Stoke are silently enough making some interesting moves this Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Shame that we're now in the business of selling defenders, rather than buying them & nurturing young ones. We need at least 1 CB please & a GK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Liam O wrote: »
    Stoke are silently enough making some interesting moves this Summer.

\well hopefully they make some interesting relegationy moves back to the championship next year:D

make my season;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

alot of Spanish players in the Premier League now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

davycc wrote: »
    \well hopefully they make some interesting relegationy moves back to the championship next year:D

make my season;)

Almost as much as Spurs beating Arsenal did for ya last year until you had to eat humble pie for finishing outside Champions League places again?

Sorry not a dig at Spurs just recognised your username finally as the one who came swaggering into tattoo's and piercings forum and randomly gave me stick after that game ;):p.

On transfer news Kyle Bartley has joined Birmingham City from Swansea on loan. Thought he would have done well at Swansea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

MD1990 wrote: »
    alot of Spanish players in the Premier League now

Swansea 6, Liverpool 5, Arsenal 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Leiva wrote: »
    Swansea 6, Liverpool 5, Arsenal 4
    Chelsea 4, Man City 4

''It's greedy selling clubs who have started the inflationary madness that is killing the game, clubs desperate to sit at the top table (Man City) have had no choice but to comply or go for a long-term strategy of finding & nuturing young fresh talent instead of taking the short-term route by buying the finish product.''

:eek: :pac:

Just read this off of the Man City Bluemoon forum and had to post it somewhere. Are all City fans as deluded as some of the lads on there because there's a lot of them that post some amount of nonsense which is then backed up by others :eek:

Any word on Higuain to Arsenal recently? Haven't heard anything about it progressing for a while now

''It's greedy selling clubs who have started the inflationary madness that is killing the game, clubs desperate to sit at the top table (Man City) have had no choice but to comply or go for a long-term strategy of finding & nuturing young fresh talent instead of taking the short-term route by buying the finish product.''

Just read this off of the Man City Bluemoon forum and had to post it somewhere. Are all City fans as deluded as some of the lads on there because there's a lot of them that post some amount of nonsense which is then backed up by others :eek:

The poor craters, my heart bleeds for them after spending a lowly £50m(not to mention what Mancini cost to sack). They try their best to nurture young talent and all.

The poor craters, my heart bleeds for them after spending a lowly £50m(not to mention what Mancini cost to sack). They try their best to nurture young talent and all.

I refuse to believe that someone could be so deluded as to openly say that :pac:

• Advertisement

Almost as much as Spurs beating Arsenal did for ya last year until you had to eat humble pie for finishing outside Champions League places again?

Sorry not a dig at Spurs just recognised your username finally as the one who came swaggering into tattoo's and piercings forum and randomly gave me stick after that game ;):p.

On transfer news Kyle Bartley has joined Birmingham City from Swansea on loan. Thought he would have done well at Swansea.

Hi Marty It was me who was making an unsubtle ass:o of myself on the Arsenal thread but honestly must have been somebody else on tattoos forum as I didnt even knew it existed until now.
    What can I say fair play to Arse went on an unreal winning run after defeat at WHL while we suffered Europe lg hangovers & threw away so many points..

Hopefuly we go out in group stages & can concentrate on the lge & cups again.:cool:

As for transfer news I have seen a lot of Bartley & imo not good enough for the premiership.suit championship level or back up to rangers . he is too much of a sly dirty (off the ball) hachet job in the vein of chalie adams & has an even bigger ego than Bentner:eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Any word on Higuain to Arsenal recently? Haven't heard anything about it progressing for a while now

Pretty much just more and more of the same, fee has been agreed, fee hasnt been agreed, he will be an Arsenal player in 24 hours, he will be an Arsenal player by the weekend, Ancelotti is holding it up etc etc you get the picture.

I really hope Arsenal do sign him after all this, it just seems to drag on and on.
    Hi Marty It was me who was making an unsubtle ass:o of myself on the Arsenal thread but honestly must have been somebody else on tattoos forum as I didnt even knew it existed until now.
    What can I say fair play to Arse went on an unreal winning run after defeat at WHL while we suffered Europe lg hangovers & threw away so many points..

Hopefuly we go out in group stages & can concentrate on the lge & cups again.:cool:

As for transfer news I have seen a lot of Bartley & imo not good enough for the premiership.suit championship level or back up to rangers . he is too much of a sly dirty (off the ball) hachet job in the vein of chalie adams & has an even bigger ego than Bentner:eek:.

Oh right my apologies so, it was a username similar to your own I'll track him down someday :pac:.

Yeh I guess I just remember seeing him years ago he looked big and mobile and certainly had the potential but he sees to be on a downward spiral now.

No one and I mean no one has as a big an ego as Bendtner he makes Ronaldo look like shy and awkward his ego is that inflamed.

Pretty much just more and more of the same, fee has been agreed, fee hasnt been agreed, he will be an Arsenal player in 24 hours, he will be an Arsenal player by the weekend, Ancelotti is holding it up etc etc you get the picture.

I really hope Arsenal do sign him after all this, it just seems to drag on and on.

Oh right my apologies so, it was a username similar to your own I'll track him down someday :pac:.

Yeh I guess I just remember seeing him years ago he looked big and mobile and certainly had the potential but he sees to be on a downward spiral now.

No one and I mean no one has as a big an ego as Bendtner he makes Ronaldo look like shy and awkward his ego is that inflamed.

Ah no bother dude I didnt take offence at all,, I do too get carried away with the rivaly & love winding up my gunners mates in person.
    Maybe if you do a advanced mode search of your own posts on that tattoo forum you will reveal the culprit..

Id say this if the Hugiun transfer goes through he will be an anazing player for ye 20goal a season player if given the chance .all the waiting around in transfer window does my head in..EG PAulinho & corhintian club president say he has left for spurs & hold a tear filled press conference yesterday but not 1 mention of it from THFC officals yet..

As for Bartley V Bentner I see your point & I dont think Bartley is going to be claiming himself as one of the greatest talents or demanding payrises etc anytime soon:D so he couldnt be near as bad as bentner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

That's your first mistake. You're going on to a dedicated fan site looking for an unbiased opinion.

The answer to your question is no, not all City fans are that deluded. A lot of the people who post on sites that ONLY allow supporters of a certain club post there because they can't take a different perspective. Of course that place is going to have heaps of deluded crap, the same way Red Cafe does for United and RAWK does for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Llorente officially revealed today

260902.jpg

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    That's your first mistake. You're going on to a dedicated fan site looking for an unbiased opinion.

The answer to your question is no, not all City fans are that deluded. A lot of the people who post on sites that ONLY allow supporters of a certain club post there because they can't take a different perspective. Of course that place is going to have heaps of deluded crap, the same way Red Cafe does for United and RAWK does for Liverpool.

I wasn't really looking for an unbiased opinion, just wanted to see what they thought of El Shaarawy because they're linked with him.

They're linked with him - "He's great" "Let's get him"

Milan say they won't sell - "He's a fu****g overhyped little pr**k"
    "He's not near City quality tbf. Wouldn't even make the bench."

:pac:

I've never gone onto the United or Liverpool forums funnily enough! I'd say they're a mouthful though! :D

And to any City fans here, I wasn't being serious asking if all City fans were like that! A better statement would have been "How could even the most biased fan be so deluded?" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Swansea have agreed a £6M fee with Liverpool for Jonjo Shelvey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Is it really deluded though? I ask that as a general question, nothing to do with the club involved.

"Greedy" is the wrong word, I'd use "sensible" personally, but the poster's sentiment is correct. If you have a team you know has bucket loads of cash to spend you're going to ask for more money and drive the price up. That's essentially the crux of the point, and it's right.

If overinflated transfer fees are killing the game then both parties are at fault but you can't blame them for looking after number one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Man City who were an irrelevance have had to offer obscene wages and huge transfer fees becuase they needed to make those moves to become a big team in the division.

It's Man City and their ilk who are driving up the prices. It's a bit rich to suggest that 'smaller' clubs are driving up the prices.

The fact is that Man City's asset is their money. Not their history, stadium or fanbase; it's money.

Nobody is forcing them to buy these players. It's a bit fickle tbh.

Man City who were an irrelevance have had to offer obscene wages and huge transfer fees becuase they needed to make those moves to become a big team in the division.

It's Man City and their ilk who are driving up the prices. It's a bit rich to suggest that 'smaller' clubs are driving up the prices.

The fact is that Man City's asset is their money. Not their history, stadium or fanbase; it's money.

Nobody is forcing them to buy these players. It's a bit fickle tbh.

Maybe but there's truth to it.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Is it really deluded though? I ask that as a general question, nothing to do with the club involved.

"Greedy" is the wrong word, I'd use "sensible" personally, but the poster's sentiment is correct. If you have a team you know has bucket loads of cash to spend you're going to ask for more money and drive the price up. That's essentially the crux of the point, and it's right.

If overinflated transfer fees are killing the game then both parties are at fault but you can't blame them for looking after number one.

It's not the fact that they have the cash. It's that they have become renown for pi**ing it away.

Arsenal have cash, yet they wouldn't be caught paying City prices for players.

I can see where you're coming from in saying that it takes two to make a transfer but it is the flaunting of cash from the likes of PSG, City, Chelsea etc. - cash that is not from club revenue but rather cash injections - that is the problem.

If Arsenal go out this summer and pay £50m for Cavani. I'll have no problem with it at all.

If PSG, City, Chelsea do the same then it will annoy me.

The clubs are not run well imo and they pay over the top prices for players because they struggle to lure them to the club by other means.

I know you're a city fan and this isn't meant to be a serious jab at City, but it does point to a problem that all of the aforementioned "sugar daddy" clubs have.

It's my opinion that they drive the prices up for themselves and if it were my club selling to any of them, I wouldn't be happy unless we milked them for every last penny we could get.

It's not the fact that they have the cash. It's that they have become renown for pi**ing it away.

Arsenal have cash, yet they wouldn't be caught paying City prices for players.

I can see where you're coming from in saying that it takes two to make a transfer but it is the flaunting of cash from the likes of PSG, City, Chelsea etc. - cash that is not from club revenue but rather cash injections - that is the problem.

If Arsenal go out this summer and pay £50m for Cavani. I'll have no problem with it at all.

If PSG, City, Chelsea do the same then it will annoy me.

The clubs are not run well imo and they pay over the top prices for players because they struggle to lure them to the club by other means.

I know you're a city fan and this isn't meant to be a serious jab at City, but it does point to a problem that all of the aforementioned "sugar daddy" clubs have.

It's my opinion that they drive the prices up for themselves and if it were my club selling to any of them, I wouldn't be happy unless we milked them for every last penny we could get.

I'm not speaking as a City fan here, just as someone with an interest in the economics of it all and the blame game which is part of every issue in football these days.

Your last line about milking the rich clubs is exactly what that City fan was talking about, he just wasn't very eloquent with the way he said it.

The fact that Arsenal won't pay those prices is of course very sensible but it has come at a cost on the pitch with their failure to win something in however many years now.

City (and Chelsea before them) wanted to get to the top and to do so had to spend a lot of cash on hit and miss transfers. Ultimately the tactics were successful, and some smaller clubs did very well for themselves out of ridiculous transfer fees.

While initially, City weren't run well with a scatter gun policy, a look at the change in the club over the past six months as well as the plans for the future (stadium expansion, new campus and youth academy, shedding 600k off the wage bill) shows that they are on the way to being an Arsenal-type club.

This is all deviating from the thread topic so we may be given a warning soon :pac:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm not speaking as a City fan here, just as someone with an interest in the economics of it all and the blame game which is part of every issue in football these days.

Your last line about milking the rich clubs is exactly what that City fan was talking about, he just wasn't very eloquent with the way he said it.

The fact that Arsenal won't pay those prices is of course very sensible but it has come at a cost on the pitch with their failure to win something in however many years now.

City (and Chelsea before them) wanted to get to the top and to do so had to spend a lot of cash on hit and miss transfers. Ultimately the tactics were successful, and some smaller clubs did very well for themselves out of ridiculous transfer fees.

While initially, City weren't run well with a scatter gun policy, a look at the change in the club over the past six months as well as the plans for the future (stadium expansion, new campus and youth academy, shedding 600k off the wage bill) shows that they are on the way to being an Arsenal-type club.

This is all deviating from the thread topic so we may be given a warning soon :pac:

It's refreshing to see a post like that and to get replies free of snide comments and hyperbole.

Neither of us can be right or wrong as it is, like most football debates, a matter of opinion. However, I can't say I disagree with what you're saying!

We can avoid a warning with this simple line:

Errrrrrrr... Higuain to Arsenal.. Higuain to Arsenal! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Gstobort from Goal is reporting that Wenger is looking at cheaper strikers then Higuain as they can't agree a fee. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Harry Redknapp has recruited Steve McClaren has a coach at QPR.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23147086

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    Harry Redknapp has recruited Steve McClaren has a coach at QPR.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23147086

Dumb & Dumber;)

Poor old QPR fans

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Dumb & Dumber;)

Poor old QPR fans
    Alex Ferguson seemed to rate him as an excellent coach and seeing as he's being hired as a coach I don't see the negative on this.
    Who are we to dismiss Fergie's judgement ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

amiable wrote: »
    Alex Ferguson seemed to rate him as an excellent coach and seeing as he's being hired as a coach I don't see the negative on this.
    Who are we to dismiss Fergie's judgement ?

Quite alot has happened since he worked for Man United

Dempsey wrote: »
    Quite alot has happened since he worked for Man United
    Indeed it has but it doesn't change his coaching capabilities when most of what has happened to him has been while he's been a manager.
    But lets not forget that he has won the Eredevisie with one of the 'lesser' teams in that division since then too.

Indeed it has but it doesn't change his coaching capabilities when most of what has happened to him has been while he's been a manager.
    But lets not forget that he has won the Eredevisie with one of the 'lesser' teams in that division since then too.

The respect he would have gotten from Man United players back in the day would be different to what he'll get now and its not like the QPR players are the most professional bunch. He failed completely to deal with the egos and internal issues at Wolfsburg at the time and he's had several failures since then, including Twente so you cant claim things havent changed. I'm sure he knows how to set out a training session but whether he can get the players to give their all is highly questionable.

The respect he would have gotten from Man United players back in the day would be different to what he'll get now and its not like the QPR players are the most professional bunch. He failed completely to deal with the egos and internal issues at Wolfsburg at the time and he's had several failures since then, including Twente so you cant claim things havent changed. I'm sure he knows how to set out a training session but the question is whether he can get the players to give their all is highly questionable.
    The QPR players like Danny Simpson, Clint Hill, Jamie Mackie, Shaun Derry, Ji Sung Park and Andy Johnson who don't have an attitude problem in my opinion and they are the players likely to try hardest to get QPR back up.
    With Chris Samba gone yesterday and Granero, Bosingwa, Zamora and a few other bad eggs on the way out I don't see your point.
    It's naive to think QPR will just allow the bad eggs fester in the squad in my opinion.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Gstobort from Goal is reporting that Wenger is looking at cheaper strikers then Higuain as they can't agree a fee. :pac:
    I'll lose my **** if that's true...

The QPR players like Danny Simpson, Clint Hill, Jamie Mackie, Shaun Derry, Ji Sung Park and Andy Johnson who don't have an attitude problem in my opinion and they are the players likely to try hardest to get QPR back up.
    With Chris Samba gone yesterday and Granero, Bosingwa, Zamora and a few other bad eggs on the way out I don't see your point.
    It's naive to think QPR will just allow the bad eggs fester in the squad in my opinion.

I dont think he has the respect of any english player after his England stint tbh

I dont think he has the respect of any english player after his England stint tbh
    Pretty damning statement to make with nothing to back it up and based mostly on your dislike for the man in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

So any manager that fails with his national team will lose all the respect of every player from that country in future jobs?

Complete rubbish tbh.

Advertisement