Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Barry could rotate with Arteta or Wilshire.
    But is he better than either? Or would he actually improve Arsenal? No. He's been in decline for 2 years.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Barry, a great signing for Arsenal? Yeah smiley-laughing002.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Jay Spearing is wanted by Blackburn Rovers. Rodgers wants £3M for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Barry would be worse than no signing for Arsenal imo. Increasing the wage budget with another average player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

swoody wrote: »
    Jay Spearing is wanted by Blackburn Rovers. Rodgers wants £3M for him

Don't know why I thought Spearings move to Bolton was permanent

CSF wrote: »
    Don't know why I thought Spearings move to Bolton was permanent
    Positive Mental Attitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

JPA wrote: »
    Barry could rotate with Arteta or Wilshire.
    But is he better than either? Or would he actually improve Arsenal? No. He's been in decline for 2 years.
    I think he is better in a deeper role than Arteta, for me Arteta is better in a more attacking role than he has played at Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Antonio Cassano
    Internazionale
    >Parma

Rumoured to be for €10M and Belfodil going the other way. Three year deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Antonio Cassano
    Internazionale
    >Parma

Thats 10m + Cassano for Belfodil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Barry would be worse than no signing for Arsenal imo. Increasing the wage budget with another average player.

I don't understand where you are basing these assumptions. Barry was City's best midfielder over the last quarter of the season. He does not grab headlines, especially in a team where there are so many bigger names but he has consistantly played an important role. I would honestly prefer he didn't move anywhere, especially to a rival.

Whether there is truth in the link with Arsenal, I don't know. He was being linked with Spurs a month ago, and is in his last year of his contract.

I think Arsenal have other priorities than CM, but to consider Barry as anything other than an improvement to Arsenal is a bit ignorant.

As for Arsenal only sign big players comment a few back, you have signed alot more clangers than quality over the last three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

GTR63 wrote: »
    Thats 10m + Cassano for Belfodil.
    No, it's the other way around. Parma are paying the fee. Belfodil hasn't been confirmed yet, it may fall through.

Their best midfielder over a whole quarter of a season? This changes everything!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Antonio Cassano
    Internazionale
    >Parma

Think its inter paying €10million and cassano for Belfodil.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Kjær has joined Lille according to L'Equipe.

While Lille LB, Digne is apparently heading to Monaco tomorrow to conclude his move to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Seaneh wrote: »
    Think its inter paying €10million and cassano for Belfodil.

It is Inter paying the money, sure Cassano isn't worth €10m anyway and he only has a year left on his contract.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

dor83 wrote: »
    It is Inter paying the money, sure Cassano isn't worth €10m anyway and he only has a year left on his contract.

I think the figure is way off.
    What I've been reading all week was a swap of Cassano fir 50% of Belfodil's contract with him moving to inter. Which sounds far more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I think Arsenal have other priorities than CM, but to consider Barry as anything other than an improvement to Arsenal is a bit ignorant.

Strange as I reckon thinking Barry is better than any of our first choice CM from last season is ignorant ;), I really doubt he'd play much at all maybe a handful of games at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think he is better in a deeper role than Arteta, for me Arteta is better in a more attacking role than he has played at Arsenal.

He was never a great attacker, the stats shown earlier shown he excels in his role now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

As for Arsenal only sign big players comment a few back, you have signed alot more clangers than quality over the last three years.

I don't know if that is my comment you are referring to but I was saying what arsenal should be doing, NOT what they have been doing over the last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Barry, at that price, would be a great acquisition for any team in the league. Funny that it's the people who watch him week in, week out saying that.

Also, it doesn't matter if he's better than Arteta, Wilshere and whoever else because, given how often Arsenal miss players through injury, he'd probably end up playing at least 25 games next season. A good return for a cheap signing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Every time I think of Gareth Barry I think of Ozil absolutely destroying him in the 2010 World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

JPA wrote: »
    He was never a great attacker, the stats shown earlier shown he excels in his role now.
    Never a great attacker? He scored 9 goals and had 13 assists for his first season in that role at Everton. He always played well in the attacking midfield role at Everton. He did move back sometimes to cover for injuries but he was fantastic in the attacking role there.

I don't understand where you are basing these assumptions. Barry was City's best midfielder over the last quarter of the season. He does not grab headlines, especially in a team where there are so many bigger names but he has consistantly played an important role. I would honestly prefer he didn't move anywhere, especially to a rival.

Whether there is truth in the link with Arsenal, I don't know. He was being linked with Spurs a month ago, and is in his last year of his contract.

I'm not an Arsenal supporter but that's besides the point.

Barry @ £3.5m is not a bad deal as he is worth more than that, I will 100% agree with that.

Should Arsenal sign him, in my opinion. No.

Why would they?! He is definitely not an improvement on what they have and the WAGES, not the transfer fee that every one gets hung up on, would be better spent elsewhere. They have enough youngsters to cover for injuries and bringing Barry in makes little sense. Especially when they are in for Grenier and the likes who would be more attacking cover, meaning Arteta, Wilshere, Ramsey etc. could sit deeper.

Poor move, in my opinion

Talk of Negredo to City gathering pace today. I'd be quite happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Bit of a step down from Tevez.

Is Dzeko leaving as well. They'll have to buy another striker so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

jamc wrote: »

Os Dzeko leaving as well. They'll have to buy another striker so.

He gets goals and alot of them by hes stats, looks like a solid buy!

I thought Dzeko was staying.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Barry, at that price, would be a great acquisition for any team in the league. Funny that it's the people who watch him week in, week out saying that.
    ... but probably not the same people who watch the rest of the league's central midfielders week in, week out.
    Also, it doesn't matter if he's better than Arteta, Wilshere and whoever else because, given how often Arsenal miss players through injury, he'd probably end up playing at least 25 games next season. A good return for a cheap signing.
    I wouldn't consider the reported £5m a year wages cheap for a 32 year old squad player. Besides, Arsenal need top quality additions to the first eleven, not more squad padding.

jamc wrote: »

Is Dzeko leaving as well. They'll have to buy another striker so.

A step down alright but I consider Tevez to be fairly irreplaceable on the pitch. Negredo's goal scoring record is fairly impressive.

No word on Dzeko really, if he does go then we need two strikers so this would be a start.

... but probably not the same people who watch the rest of the league's central midfielders week in, week out.

The rest of the league's central midfielders aren't available though.

Barry was excellent for the most part while at City and could definitely do a job for another season of two, I want us to keep him.
    I wouldn't consider the reported £5m a year wages cheap for a 32 year old squad player. Besides, Arsenal need top quality additions to the first eleven, not more squad padding.

He won't get £5m from City if a deal does go on the table and I can't see any other top club offering him that. If it was £3m for example then it's well worth a punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Marco Van Ginkel to Chelsea confirmed, subject to personal terms and a medical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Fee agreed between Vitesse and Chelsea for Van Ginkel.

Edit: damn... first post, then go on break. not the other way around :D

Your first comment is reflective of your own views as well, as to completely dismiss Barry like you have, you obviously haven't seen much of him. I'm not going to let on like I watch every CM week in week out, but I have seen enough games to warrant an opinion, and like was said earlier you have to be realistic in your comparison. There are only a small number of first team CM available, and far less available for the £3m mark.

He is never going to command his current wages in the last year of the contract, but comparing like for like, aren't Arsenal paying Rosicky £70k/week? I would imagine Barry would come in under those wages.

Currently Arsenal have 3 CM's, 2 if you consider Carzola to be a AM. That doesn't give alot of room for injuries, form etc. Given the injury history of the 2 CMs, you can't rely on a full season either. With Barry in that fold you could have the option to rest pplayers, especially Wilshire, and maintain them for the year, rather than going 2 months with no one of worth on the field.

Like I have said, it might not be an area of priority for Arsenal, but it is an area than can be strengthened with Barry, while keeping the transfer fees for the bigger names needed to add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Sky Sports News reporters at Carrington claim "source's" have told them Thaigo will be unvieled at OT tomorow.

Your first comment is reflective of your own views as well, as to completely dismiss Barry like you have, you obviously haven't seen much of him. I'm not going to let on like I watch every CM week in week out, but I have seen enough games to warrant an opinion, and like was said earlier you have to be realistic in your comparison. There are only a small number of first team CM available, and far less available for the £3m mark.

He is never going to command his current wages in the last year of the contract, but comparing like for like, aren't Arsenal paying Rosicky £70k/week? I would imagine Barry would come in under those wages.

Currently Arsenal have 3 CM's, 2 if you consider Carzola to be a AM. That doesn't give alot of room for injuries, form etc. Given the injury history of the 2 CMs, you can't rely on a full season either. With Barry in that fold you could have the option to rest pplayers, especially Wilshire, and maintain them for the year, rather than going 2 months with no one of worth on the field.

Like I have said, it might not be an area of priority for Arsenal, but it is an area than can be strengthened with Barry, while keeping the transfer fees for the bigger names needed to add.
    I could level the same accusation at yourself.

Arsenal have Arteta, Ramsey and Wilshere (who you herald Barry as being able to cover for, yet who himself couldn’t even get into Arsenal’s team in the run in last season) to cover the midfield spots in the main, with Coquelin and Diaby (occasionally) providing cover. CM /is/ a priority area to improve, but fortunately Arsenal appear to be looking to improve by bringing in a first team quality player like Bender or Fellaini and not by upgrading the fringes of the squad.

Mentioning one of Arsenal’s biggest wage-gobbling, wastes of space in Rosicky doesn’t really help your argument any.

I could level the same accusation at yourself.

Arsenal have Arteta, Ramsey and Wilshere (who you herald Barry as being able to cover for, yet who himself couldn’t even get into Arsenal’s team in the run in last season) to cover the midfield spots in the main, with Coquelin and Diaby (occasionally) providing cover. CM /is/ a priority area to improve, but fortunately Arsenal appear to be looking to improve by bringing in a first team quality player like Bender or Fellaini and not by upgrading the fringes of the squad.

Mentioning one of Arsenal’s biggest wage-gobbling, wastes of space in Rosicky doesn’t really help your argument any.

That I haven't watched much of Barry??

I know who Arsenal have, and Ramsey, Coquelin and Diaby are nowhere near Barry's ability tbf. And suggesting Wilshire couldn't make the team just highlights what I already said was replacements due to form, as well as injury. You have to have depth in the squad to challenge, not just a starting 11. Arsenal imo have had the best starting 11 nearly every year for the last number of years and what has it done? Injuries hit and leak points. If there was better cover, Arsenal are not as exposed, simple.

You slate Rosicky, but was he not the saviour a couple of times last year, where his inclusion in the team resulted in far better performances when key players were out? Short memory. But that just goes to show the importance of having someone with experience and quality in your squad, not just starting 11.

The original point may seem to be lost here, you 'lmao' at the tought of Arsenal signing Barry. I said for £3m you are getting a bargain who can only strengthen Arsenal's midfield.

I'll put it another way, you have used the term 'likes of' Bender and Fellaini, whereas it seems to be 'just' is more apt. What happens if you fail to get either? Barry at £3m then starts to look like an excellent acquisition doesn't it?

No, that you don't appear to have watched much of Arsenal.

Both Ramsey and Diaby are at a similar level to Barry. Diaby can be largely discounted due to his fitness record, but Ramsey was terrific in the run in last season and has 10 years on Barry. Replacing him with Barry would be stupid.

Arsenal don't have anywhere near the best XI. Not by miles. Arsenal have good players throughout the squad but lack top quality - the team needs a top quality striker, midfielder and probably a defender and creative player to compete, and Barry isn't any of those. If Arsenal can't get Fellaini or Bender, then I'd hope they'd proceed to chase one of the many midfielders around the world that are better than Barry. It doesn't matter how cheap he is.

Rosicky produced a couple of super performances towards the end of the 2011/12 campaign, and has been mostly horrible before and after. He's not a positive advertisement for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Sky Sports understands that Sunderland have agreed a deal in principle with Panathinaikos for midfielder Charas Mavrias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Can we get back to the transfers? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Sky Sports News reporters at Carrington claim "source's" have told them Thaigo will be unvieled at OT tomorow.

Got a link for this?

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Got a link for this?

It was said at 9:30 ish and 10:30ish by the reporter at carrington.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Got a link for this?
    By the sounds of it the reporter was on Sky Sports News otherwise check the Sky Sports website

amiable wrote: »
    By the sounds of it the reporter was on Sky Sports News otherwise check the Sky Sports website

Yes it was said live twice by the reporter outside carrington

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

inforfun wrote: »
    Fee agreed between Vitesse and Chelsea for Van Ginkel.

Edit: damn... first post, then go on break. not the other way around :D

From someone who watches the dutch league regularly what do you make of the signing? Seems a good deal but to be honest i've only seen him in a handful of games but he looks a very good prospect.

Johner wrote: »
    From someone who watches the dutch league regularly what do you make of the signing? Seems a good deal but to be honest i've only seen him in a handful of games but he looks a very good prospect.

I think it is too early for him to go abroad. Like so many Dutch players did over the last years.
    He had a good year last year with Vitesse but Vitesse had a very good team and if it wasnt for the ACN (Bony sitting on his arse there for 6 weeks) they would have made a real good chance of winning the league.
    He did play his part in that for sure.

Just dont see him getting many 1st team starts at Chelsea so this move might cost him the WC as well.
    But maybe Chelsea will just loan him back to Vitesse. Vitesse's owner Jordania is not much more than a sock puppet for Abramovich anyway.

• Advertisement

Giggs is to become a player-coach with immediate effect

Only believe it when i see it on the feyenoord website but according to the Sun, Ryo Miyaichi will be on loan at Feyenoord for a year.

I would like that, he did well the first time he was on loan for 6 months.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Looks like he's at least 3 times better ;)

Tottenham have agreed a deal to sign Alen Halilovic and Tin Jedvaj from Dinamo Zagreb for £17M. Arsenal are also interested.

swoody wrote: »
    Tottenham have agreed a deal to sign Alen Halilovic and Tin Jedvaj from Dinamo Zagreb for £17M. Arsenal are also interested.
    Great signings if true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement