Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Milan are set to offer CSKA Moscow €1.5m for Honda and already have an agreement with the player.

According to La Repubblica, Milan will generate €7 million more per year in merchandising if they sign Honda :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Sky Sources: Nicholas Anelka having medical at West Brom. #WBA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Higuain saga might be over.... reports that he will travel to london tomorrow for talks (and medical if they agree trems) and complete his move to Arsenal for £23M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

swoody wrote: »
    Higuain saga might be over.... reports that he will travel to london tomorrow for talks (and medical if they agree trems) and complete his move to Arsenal for £23M

Same price as being touted for Negredo, I know who i'd rather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I heard this too...supposedly three year contract and 100k a week. Not too bad. Will be a cracking signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

GTR63 wrote: »
    Same price as being touted for Negredo, I know who i'd rather.
    Higuain has a better scoring record, is younger, and is eager to move to somewhere where he can feel wanted by the club. Personally, and I might not be part of the majority here, but I'd much prefer Hig than Negredo tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Higuain is a top quality player. I don't understand how this move is happening seemingly unchallenged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Quazzie wrote: »
    Higuain has a better scoring record, is younger, and is eager to move to somewhere where he can feel wanted by the club. Personally, and I might not be part of the majority here, but I'd much prefer Hig than Negredo tbh.

I think you're in the majority

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Borussia Dortmund ‏@BVB now
    Borussia Dortmund have signed Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (24) from AS St Etienne with immediate effect until 30 June 2018.

:D

Thiago Alcantara has been cropped out of their Asian Tour pic on instagram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    :D

Love that guy! He's a FIFA god!

I'd be in the Higuain > Negredo camp as well. By some distance tbh.

Great signing for Arsenal. They have never been far off challenging and just needed 1 or 2 top signings. Spurs have strengthened well too. If they keep Bale, it'll be very close between the top 5. Can't see anybody running away with it.

I'd be in the Higuain > Negredo camp as well. By some distance tbh.

Great signing for Arsenal. They have never been far off challenging and just needed 1 or 2 top signings. Spurs have strengthened well too. If they keep Bale, it'll be very close between the top 5. Can't see anybody running away with it.
    rumours that Tottenham will to swoop for Soldado once they flog Adebayor.

Valencia want the release clause of €30M but Levy is only willing to pay €17

this one might not happen..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

1372932752_101385_1372950319_noticia_normal.jpg

boarding a flight to London

rumours that Tottenham will to swoop for Soldado once they flog Adebayor.

Valencia want the release clause of €30M but Levy is only willing to pay €17

this one might not happen..

Would be an improvement on what they have. €24m could be the breaking point where they'll sell if Soldado wants the move. I wonder will Levy cash up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Leiva wrote: »
    1372932752_101385_1372950319_noticia_normal.jpg

boarding a flight to London
    I think that's actually him arriving in Madrid from Florida

Anelka has signed for WBA (skysports still think he's having a medical)

article-2355971-1AA9ADA9000005DC-615_634x451.jpg

pic thanks to Mulumbu

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

WBA signing Anelka has made me think...

I just got a job in Munich so it seems I outlasted both Anelka and Drogba here plus got a better move afterwards. Just wish I was playing football for a living not teaching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Is Aubameyang the replacement for Gotze?

They still have €24m of his transfer money left, I wonder if they'll spend it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Is Aubameyang the replacement for Gotze?

They still have €24m of his transfer money left, I wonder if they'll spend it.

I'd imagine he will play in a front 3 with Reus and Lewandowski.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Anyone surprised Chelsea or City weren't in for Higuain. He is a great striker will be a big signing for Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Anyone surprised Chelsea or City weren't in for Higuain. He is a great striker will be a big signing for Arsenal.

Cavini and Lewandowski are better.

Nuts102 wrote: »

If Cavani ends up in Paris he'd certainlly look a lot more tempting thats for sure. Same with Gomez and Jovetic.

Cavani and Lewandowski are better.

Is lewandowski much better though? People's opinion (Those who have watched him play enough to have a valid opinion) on him jumped a mile after his 4 goals vs Madrid.

I'm not sure what his release fee is either but I don't think he'd have been available for £23m?

If Lewandowski is £30m+ then I'd say pound for pound Higuain is a better option.

Add that to the fact that neither Chelsea nor City have actually come close to signing these players whereas Higuain to Arsenal is just a formality at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

What i saw of Cavani in the Confed Cup he didn't look anything special , Then again Lewandowski is terrible at international level too, hasn't even scored a goal for Poland, I don't see all the hype over either at the moment being honest

Cavani looks the sort of player though that could take up the Drogba role at chelsea big and awkward lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

What i saw of Cavani in the Confed Cup he didn't look anything special , Then again Lewandowski is terrible at international level too, hasn't even scored a goal for Poland, I don't see all the hype over either at the moment being honest

Cavani looks the sort of player though that could take up the Drogba role at chelsea big and awkward lol
    Lewandowski has scored for Poland. He scored in Euros last year.
    He's also scored in qualifiers and friendlies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

?????

17 goals in 56 apps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Lewandowski has 17 in 54 .Almost 1 in 3,it is a good return.

Cavani doesnt preform as well for Uruguay because he is played out of position.He is brilliant for Napoli,scores loads of goals and his workrate and tracking back is a huge part of his game.He will be a great signing for whoever gets him.
    If he is played upfront on his own at Chelsea with players like Mata and hazard behind him I think he will put any doubts about his ability to bed and he is far from just a big and awkward lump.

Ok my bad i was sure I had read that somewhere, Anyway I can't see him leaving dortmund this summer

Cavani price tag is massive also ...Then again Liverpool paid 35 mil for Carrol and chelsea paid 50 for torres so there ya go

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

lol excuse my misinformed post then :)

Anyone reading a lot into the Confeds must think Abel Hernandez is better than Cavani or Suarez and that Torres is still top class after getting the golden boot. If you think that its quite sad.

No Torres did not deserve the golden boot for the 4 goals he got against Tahiti lol, Fred did , Scored far more important goals 2 in the final FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spurs drop interest in Damaio according to the papers. I just looked over his playing record, a lot of games missed esp last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Southampton have been linked with him of late.

Nicola Cortese: how to play FM in real life, RIGHT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Quazzie wrote: »

Crossed wires there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Is lewandowski much better though? People's opinion (Those who have watched him play enough to have a valid opinion) on him jumped a mile after his 4 goals vs Madrid...

That, I don't know. I think Higuaín is overshadowed by Ronaldo at Real. Ronaldo is a D.I.Y., so his stats will always overshadow Higuaín's.

I reckon when Higuaín is made the main forward at Arsenal - or any club - his goalscoring record will improve. It's pretty impressive at the moment considering Ronaldo always runs at defenders and shoots.

I wanted Higuaín to come to us (Arsenal) over Rooney because I know Higuaín has the potential to be in top goalscorers in Europe. Rooney had his chance to be United's main forward and become a contender for European Golden Shoe, but failed - so they took ours.

I should also add that Man City and Chelsea work off statistics and those two players have better stats than Higuaín, but with Jose back at Chelsea, he won't spend big money on big names, it's not really his style.

That, I don't know. I think Higuaín is overshadowed by Ronaldo at Real. Ronaldo is a D.I.Y., so his stats will always overshadow Higuaín's.

I reckon when Higuaín is made the main forward at Arsenal - or any club - his goalscoring record will improve. It's pretty impressive at the moment considering Ronaldo always runs at defenders and shoots.

I wanted Higuaín to come to us (Arsenal) over Rooney because I know Higuaín has the potential to be in top goalscorers in Europe. Rooney had his chance to be United's main forward and become a contender for European Golden Shoe, but failed - so they took ours.

I'd agree completely. Higuain is a great purchase for Arsenal and there's a good chance I'll be taking him for top scorer ahead of RVP.

Much better signing than Rooney and at £23m in today's market, there won't be as much pressure on his shoulders compared to if he went for £30m+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'd agree completely. Higuain is a great purchase for Arsenal and there's a good chance I'll be taking him for top scorer ahead of RVP.

Much better signing than Rooney and at £23m in today's market, there won't be as much pressure on his shoulders compared to if he went for £30m+

I think he is good but he definitely isn't as good as Rooney. People seem to have forgotten just how good Rooney is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

CSF wrote: »
    I think he is good but he definitely isn't as good as Rooney. People seem to have forgotten just how good Rooney is.

Rooney is the all round better player but Higuain is the much better finisher and will score more goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think he is good but he definitely isn't as good as Rooney. People seem to have forgotten just how good Rooney sometimes is.
    FYP ;)

For Arsenal, Higuain is a much, much better signing

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Rooney is the all round better player but Higuain is the much better finisher and will score more goals.

And when Rooney was made the focal point of the team, how many did he score a couple of seasons ago? 34 goals? It's not clear cut whatsoever Higuain would score more goals. Don't get me wrong, I rate Higuain, but if Rooney regains his form again, he's on another level to the Argentine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

And when Rooney was made the focal point of the team, how many did he score a couple of seasons ago? 34 goals? It's not clear cut whatsoever Higuain would score more goals. Don't get me wrong, I rate Higuain, but if Rooney regains his form again, he's on another level to the Argentine.

you could argue that Higuain's best days are yet to be seen though.

Higuain can become the arsenal legend van persie could've been :pac:

Salomon Kalou might be heading to WBA if they agree to Lilles €3M buyout clause

Kalou was excellent in the few Lille games I saw last season. Actually looked to have developed the rather useful knack of you know... looking up and passing to a team-mate with a clearer chance on goal, as well his finishing being far more composed than what I had seen of him at Chelsea. Playing more centrally certainly helped it seemed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Kalou was excellent in the few Lille games I saw last season. Actually looked to have developed the rather useful knack of you know... looking up and passing to a team-mate with a clearer chance on goal, as well his finishing being far more composed than what I had seen of him at Chelsea. Playing more centrally certainly helped it seemed.

Kalou, as well as Kuyt, have never been used in the role they played at Feyenoord and got them the interest of Chelsea and Liverpool.
    Kuyt was the out and out striker with Kalou playing around him and the 2 season they played together Kuyt had 40+ goals and 30+ assists, Kalou 30+ goals and around 20 assists.

Now there was something to be said for Kalou to be used the way he was in the first 2 years or so, him being still very young but as far as i know Kuyt has had only about 6 months of being consistently used as the main striker. That was when Dalglish took over and Kuyt scored 10 goals after january, including a hat trick vs Man Utd.

Kuyt of course is finished now but use Kalou in the same role as he was playing all those years ago at Feyenoord and you'll get rewarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

higuain wont go near jose agin id imagine.. will be a top signing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd have Higuain as streets ahead of Lewandowski though he has maybe gone a bit backwards from a couple of seasons back when i watched him a lot more and Rooney pretty clearly ahead of Higuain. I'm not totally convinced of Lewandowski yet and his amazing game against Real is maybe clouding a lot of views on him. Ironically Rooney is probably the player I like the least out of the 3 but he is better

Advertisement