Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Arouna Kone to Everton confirmed by Everton .

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Everton have confirmed signing of striker Arouna Kone from Wigan on three-year deal for undisclosed fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Breaking news coming out of Italy via Gazzetta dello Sport - Germany striker Mario Gomez has joined Fiorentina from Bayern Munich. The fee is said to be around 20million euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Johner wrote: »
    Breaking news coming out of Italy via Gazzetta dello Sport - Germany striker Mario Gomez has joined Fiorentina from Bayern Munich. The fee is said to be around 20million euros.

lot of bobs for him imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jax Teller wrote: »

That could prove to be an excellent signing (or a disaster)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Johner wrote: »

As per BILD (on twitter) it's 16 Million Euros and 4 Million per year wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Gomez to fiorentina confirmed on @FcBayern Twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If Suarez wants to pick up some silverware Arsenal isn't the place to go.

Almost a decade now afaik without a trophy.
    He'll have to leave Merseyside if he ever wants to play Champions League though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Quazzie wrote: »
    He'll have to leave Merseyside if he ever wants to play Champions League though.

"Ever"? :confused:

Look strange things happen in football, but Suarez going to Arsenal would be fairly bizarre. He is capable of playing for teams challenging for a CL. As such, a move to a club that seems delighted to merely qualify year on year would equate to selling himself short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Look strange things happen in football, but Suarez going to Arsenal would be fairly bizarre. He is capable of playing for teams challenging for a CL. As such, a move to a club that seems delighted to merely qualify year on year would equate to selling himself short.
    Surely staying in a club that haven't qualified in three years, and don't really look like improving on that record is selling himself even shorter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Ah Lloyd it's ok sure we all know Arsenal haven't got the kind of money we are talking about to buy him . Their bid was only done so they could speed up their pursuit of Higuain . Realistically there is very few teams that could afford to buy him from LFC .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Arsenal are set to unveil a striker before the new season.......

Arsenals-Dennis-Bergkamp-008.jpg

Dennis Bergkamps statue.

hqdefault.jpg?feature=og

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If Suarez wants to pick up some silverware Arsenal isn't the place to go.

Almost a decade now afaik without a trophy.

If Suarez went to the current Arsenal side I doubt they'd be waiting for a trophy much longer tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

hqdefault.jpg?feature=og

Michael Fassbender anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

AdamD wrote: »
    If Suarez went to the current Arsenal side I doubt they'd be waiting for a trophy much longer tbh

That would be very true but can Arsenal afford or are they willing to spend 40 + million and 120 grand a week on one player . I can't see that happening and thats why I believe he is off to RM or a rich club . He might even want a massive pay rise if he moves .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That would be very true but can Arsenal afford or are they willing to spend 40 + million and 120 grand a week on one player . I can't see that happening and thats why I believe he is off to RM or a rich club . He might even want a massive pay rise if he moves .

Of course they can afford it, but will they spend it, probably not as I cant see this transfer ever happening to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

A Suarez type player is what Arsenal are missing. He could be what brings the silverware. Very simplistic view to have when saying he shouldn't go there because there's no chance of silverware.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Borussia Dortmund FF ‏@BVBfansFF 39m
    BVB sign Henrikh Mkhitaryan until 2017. Official statement of Borussia Dortmund corp. #bvb http://aktie.bvb.de/IR-News/Ad-Hoc-News/Borussia-Dortmund-GmbH-Co.-KGaA-beabsichtigt-Verpflichtung-von-Henrikh-Mkhitaryan … [@bvbawesome]

It also says "With Sokratis, Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan, all essential transfers have been completed" [@bvbawesome]

Mkhitaryan is done.

Defender, Midfielder and attacker done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

With Gomez signed now I reckon Jovetic is off pretty soon. There is no way Fiorentina are spending that much money without having a sale lined up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Borussia Dortmund FF ‏@BVBfansFF 39m

Defender, Midfielder and attacker done.

absolutely cracking piece of business the way they have spent the Goetze money.

David Villa has officially joined Atleti for €5.1M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sounds like David Villa is off to Athletico Madrid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Good for Villa and atleti, will play centrally where he is at his best and atleti replace Falcao for a pretty small fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    greendom wrote: »
    Sounds like David Villa is off to Athletico Madrid.

Well done :pac:

Suarez will not join another English club. 30m is about what he's worth.

I thought Spurs were front runners for Villa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Seaneh wrote: »
    Good for Villa and atleti, will play centrally where he is at his best and atleti replace Falcao for a pretty small fee.

Provided he can stay fit it's a good piece of business. Costa will still offer that physical presence that Falcao did while Villa gives them a natural finisher with quick feet.

A centre-mid and maybe another creative attacking player (like Diego) would be a satisfactory window for Atleti.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Great signing for Atleti! He actually offers a few things Falcao didn't.

And as said, with Diego Costa there as a physical presence, Villa should fit in really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Dortmund may actually be stronger next season.

Very astute business indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I thought Spurs were front runners for Villa

I doubt he was interested in playing in the Europa League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Jax Teller wrote: »

I'll be interested to see how he does there. Looked very handy at Wigan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

I doubt he was interested in playing in the Europa League.

He's turning 32 this year. Next year, he'll be lucky to play in any of the top leagues in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Alcaraz about to sign for Everton too. Don't rate him at all to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

As long as Villa has the physical presence alongside him that's a very nice signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Would be reasonably confident Simeone would be able to get the most out of Villa.

defoe's being linked with stoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

He's turning 32 this year. Next year, he'll be lucky to play in any of the top leagues in Europe.

Except he will be at Atletico...in, you know, La Liga next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

I am pie wrote: »
    Except he will be at Atletico...in, you know, La Liga next year?

That's this year, teams have started pre-season training already. Try to keep up.

David Villa is still a wonderful forward, even at the age of 32, he's well capable of scoring 20 goals if he can stay fit which is the main question. I'm honestly chuffed to see him move on from Barca. Always frustrated me seeing him used as a wing forward despite doing a more than admirable job out there.

The David Villa of Valencia was a joy to watch when he lead the line and hopefully he'll find something resembling that form despite being a few years past his prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Apparently Kone fee is £5-6.5m, seems like a good deal for Everton as they should get a few years out of him plus he's proven to be more than capable at PL level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

A Suarez type player is what Arsenal are missing. He could be what brings the silverware. Very simplistic view to have when saying he shouldn't go there because there's no chance of silverware.

Did Van Persie bring Arsenal Silverware? Because Suarez and he are both similar, in terms of quality, type players.

Signing Suarez would not solve all Arsenal's problems.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Did Van Persie bring Arsenal Silverware? Because Suarez and he are both similar, in terms of quality, type players.

I don't disagree with the second line but that argument is pretty heavily flawed. It's a different Arsenal team now; some of the gaps in the team that contained van Persie have been filled, while the current team has new ones, and the van Persie-sized gap from last summer remains the main one.

Wigan signed Grant Holt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Arsenal were about as close as Chelsea to winning the league last season and not too far off City. They don't have a new manager and it's debatable that they have the best one in the league. if they were to bring in one of Rooney/Suarez/Higuain it would immediately drastically improve them and someone like Fellaini would also drastically improve them. They already have a solid defense and would only really maybe be lacking on the left wing depending on who's playing there. Wilshere maybe/probably/who knows back for a full season will also make a big difference and a bit more rotation can happen.

Not sure why it's mainly some Liverpool fans who are putting them down but I have my theories...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Liam O wrote: »
    They don't have a new manager and it's debatable that they have the best one in the league.

Eh it's debatable if you enjoy debating things you know aren't true for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

swoody wrote: »
    Wigan signed Grant Holt

Delighted with that signing, and for 2 million its guaranteed goals in the Championship!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

CSF wrote: »
    Eh it's debatable if you enjoy debating things you know aren't true for the sake of it.

I'd have Wenger over Pellegrini, Moyes, AVB, Rodgers, Martinez and whoever, the only debatable one is Mourinho and he still has question marks about his long term ability at clubs.

And yes I love those debates :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Liam O wrote: »
    I'd have Wenger over Pellegrini, Moyes, AVB, Rodgers, Martinez and whoever, the only debatable one is Mourinho and he still has question marks about his long term ability at clubs.

And yes I love those debates :p

There is no debate between Mourinho and Wenger. Wenger doesn't win trophies. Mourinho wins many. Having a manager come to your club, win a load of trophies and then leave after a few years doesn't seem terrible to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

WBA have turned down a bid from Chelsea for 16 year old Isaiah Brown, who WBA gave permission to train with Chelsea.

Interesting comment from WBA
    More importantly, it makes you question why these young players are joining bigger clubs when they are likely to gain more first-team opportunities in the Barclays Premier League at clubs similar to us.
    Read more at http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/albion-reject-chelsea-offer-for-brown-902287.aspx#Zcl3JLQLsIZzGvZt.99

WBA have been vocal recently with their disdain for EPPP and this is an attempt to bring attention to the issue. It might amount to nothing or it might be the first stage of a backlash against EPPP from a PL team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I don't know where to start with how narrow minded and simplistic a view that is.

I never said he would solve all their problems either. He is just the kind of player, who in my opinion, would help them have a good go next season.
    Suarez would be a better fit for that current Arsenal team than RvP.
    And I'd certainly fancy them to be challenging over Liverpool anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

CSF wrote: »
    There is no debate between Mourinho and Wenger. Wenger doesn't win trophies. Mourinho wins many. Having a manager come to your club, win a load of trophies and then leave after a few years doesn't seem terrible to me.

Agreed, Mourinho is better than Wenger. Wenger is the second best manager in the league for me but Mourinho's record is phenomenal regardless of how he manages to do it. Wenger is a frugal clubs wet dream though and a genius in his own right.

Advertisement