Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

jive wrote: »
    Agreed, Mourinho is better than Wenger. Wenger is the second best manager in the league for me but Mourinho's record is phenomenal regardless of how he manages to do it. Wenger is a frugal clubs wet dream though and a genius in his own right.

How much closer would the 2 be in terms of trophies won had their respective budgets over the years been the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

greendom wrote: »
    How much closer would the 2 be in terms of trophies won had their respective budgets over the years been the same?

Porto. Inter.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

CSF wrote: »
    Porto. Inter.
    Correction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Michael Higdon signed for NEC Nijmegen.

No one cares but at least it is on topic :D

Porto. Inter.

I don't think his habit of leaving clubs after 2 or 3 years is that much of an indicator of great manager. He ruffles so many internal feathers that he has to move on. Yes he brings success and pretty quickly but what is the long term cost.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    I don't think his habit of leaving clubs after 2 or 3 years is that much of an indicator of great manager. He ruffles so many internal feathers that he has to move on. Yes he brings success and pretty quickly but what is the long term cost.

What is the long term cost? Only Inter have struggled to achieve success after him and I would be surprised if Real joined them in that.

2/3 years of great success is surely preferable to 10 stable years of no success.

What is the long term cost? Only Inter have struggled to achieve success after him and I would be surprised if Real joined them in that.

2/3 years of great success is surely preferable to 10 stable years of no success.

Which wouldn't have happened if Wenger had the same budget to spend as Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Been saying for months that Arsenal could be dark horses for the title next season.

One top tier player brought in would make them genuine contenders imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

their ddefense isnt strong enough, nor their midfield.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Been saying for months that Arsenal could be dark horses for the title next season.

One top tier player brought in would make them genuine contenders imo.

Loads of people are of similar opinions and it leaves me wondering what I'm missing. IMO Chelsea and City underachieved last season and will have much higher points totals this season. I don't feel the same way about Arsenal. I think they did about what I'd have expected from them last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

aubeyemang gone to Dortmund as well

Arsenal won't be near the title next year.

Utd and City will be steaks ahead of them imo. With Mourinhio coming back I'd expect Chelsea to be stronger too.

They should sneak 4th again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

their ddefense isnt strong enough, nor their midfield.

2nd best defence in the year last year....ya nowhere near strong enough :rolleyes: also our midfield is strong enough we're just lacking a top centre forward and more depth all round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Benteke has handed in a transfer request, according to the Mirror and the Birmingham Mail. Very surprising, wonder where he will move to.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Benteke has handed in a transfer request, according to the Mirror and the Birmingham Mail. Very surprising, wonder where he will move to.

:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

If Benteke started up front with Lukaku at Chelsea id have to call them the Belgian Blues :p

He's linked with chelsea today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Said it in the villa thread today we dont need him. id say he'll end up at Arsenal. Hes a huge Henry fan and confessed his love for the Gunners back in Oct/Nov.

Transfer request handed in according to the whole of twitter.

Transfer request handed in according to the whole of twitter.

Crap, this was meant for the villa thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Said it in the villa thread today we dont need him. id say he'll end up at Arsenal. Hes a huge Henry fan and confessed his love for the Gunners back in Oct/Nov.
    who hasn't....and gone on to join another club :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Loads of people are of similar opinions and it leaves me wondering what I'm missing. IMO Chelsea and City underachieved last season and will have much higher points totals this season. I don't feel the same way about Arsenal. I think they did about what I'd have expected from them last season.

Had a great run back end of last season, if they can keep up that momentum and add a player or two I don't see why not. Quite a few of the top teams could be in transition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'd be fearful over a move for Benteke could be a one season wonder.

Probably not but for the money Villa will want for him I'd have him as more of a gamble than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

GavRedKing wrote: »

He didn't actually, couple of Belgians on a Villa board say it was a quote taken out of context. He wasn't saying he wanted to play for Arsenal, he said "a club like Arsenal", which the media just ran with as making him a lifelong supporter

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Had a great run back end of last season, if they can keep up that momentum and add a player or two I don't see why not. Quite a few of the top teams could be in transition.

I'm not with the idea that a good 2nd half to the season holds that much more weight for the following season than a good 1st half. Generally just an indicator of a team who lack depth in their squad and that generally catches up at some stage most seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Bentekkers would be perfect for spurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

swoody wrote: »
    Bentekkers would be perfect for spurs

He would, but I don't think he'd consider it. He thinks a lot of himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'd take Benteke at City, he has the Balotelli type physical power and pace without the circus.

If Villa were happy with 20 million that'd do me nicely.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'd take Benteke at City, he has the Balotelli type physical power and pace without the circus.

If its City, make it 30.

• Advertisement

If its City, make it 30.

And people say we're the ones driving up prices :D

20 plus Guidetti on a season long loan.

And people say we're the ones driving up prices :D

20 plus Guidetti on a season long loan.

Throw in Aguero and you have a deal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

None of the entertainment and half the ability.

Seaneh wrote: »
    None of the entertainment and half the ability.

Agreed on both counts but it'd be nice to have a season without the hassle himself and Tevez caused at various points.

We need another striker without doubt. Benteke did well last year with an average side and given his age he's only going to get better.

Whoever snaps him up now will be getting a very good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Overly harsh assessment of Benteke. He's good on the ball along with his physical strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Benteke did great for such a young player last season. He should be able to build on that this coming season but Chelsea would be a bad move for him. Somewhere like Liverpool or Spurs he'd do well purely because he'd get the game time to do it. Lambert is a very good manager though imo and he should stay another season there.

• Advertisement

Today's big story in Spain.

BOr5foUCIAAexZk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I could be wrong but I feel that after Negredo, Dzeko will stay and City will be done. As I currently see it, after Villa and Gomez moved yesterday the picture is starting to clear up and these are the forwards most likely to move at this point. I haven't included Rooney because I think United's only apparent replacement for him - Lewandowski - is staying put till next summer.

Cavani
    Suarez
    Higuain
    Benteke
    Damiao
    Jovetic

And the possible clubs are PSG, Real, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Napoli.

First off, I think Cavani will take PSG. That leaves Real short of options if they sell Higuain and once Cavani moves, I think they'll decide to hold on to Higuain or make a massive offer for Suarez, as will Chelsea. I don't think they'll sell Higuain until they buy someone first.

In the end I think Cavani goes to PSG, Higuain stays at Real, Suarez goes to Chelsea, Benteke goes to Arsenal, Damaio goes to Spurs and Jovetic to Napoli.

Of course this scenario will bring in a flushed with cash Liverpool, though I'm not sure who would be left for them and who they could attract without CL football. If Suarez and Higuain stay then Chelsea will likely get Benteke and Arsenal are screwed.

I could be completely wrong but the first scenario above seems logical to me.

I diont think we'll end up with Suarez or Benteke.

In fact if Cavani goes to PSG I can see us carrying on with our current 3 of Ba, Torres & Lukaku.

Benteke offers nothing that Lukaku doesnt and to spend 20 + million on a like for like replacement fo Lukaku who we already spend decent money on amkes no sense whatever.

Lukaku showed on his loan spell that he has an eye for goal, no reason why he cant carry that on with us next season if Jose makes him the number 1 CF.

Ideally we'd sign a CB and a backup G.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I could be wrong but I feel that after Negredo, Dzeko will stay and City will be done. As I currently see it, after Villa and Gomez moved yesterday the picture is starting to clear up and these are the forwards most likely to move at this point. I haven't included Rooney because I think United's only apparent replacement for him - Lewandowski - is staying put till next summer.

Cavani
    Suarez
    Higuain
    Benteke
    Damiao
    Jovetic

And the possible clubs are PSG, Real, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Napoli.

First off, I think Cavani will take PSG. That leaves Real short of options if they sell Higuain and once Cavani moves, I think they'll decide to hold on to Higuain or make a massive offer for Suarez, as will Chelsea. I don't think they'll sell Higuain until they buy someone first.

In the end I think Cavani goes to PSG, Higuain stays at Real, Suarez goes to Chelsea, Benteke goes to Arsenal, Damaio goes to Spurs and Jovetic to Napoli.

Of course this scenario will bring in a flushed with cash Liverpool, though I'm not sure who would be left for them and who they could attract without CL football. If Suarez and Higuain stay then Chelsea will likely get Benteke and Arsenal are screwed.

I could be completely wrong but the first scenario above seems logical to me.

City apparently in talks with Jovetic.

Also what's that Spanish newspaper headline about? Aguero to Spain? Can't translate..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

niallo24 wrote: »
    City apparently in talks with Jovetic.

Also what's that Spanish newspaper headline about? Aguero to Spain? Can't translate..

From what i understood via google translate/ sport.es

Aguero to Barca since they dont have a cfwd now anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

inforfun wrote: »
    From what i understood via google translate/ sport.es

Aguero to Barca since they dont have a cfwd now anymore.

Surely bull.that will leave dzeko on his own unless the sign someone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Charlie Austin to Hull from Burnley.
    Released by Reading's Academy at the age of 15, non-League for 5 years, League 1 for two years, Championship for three and now a Premier League player at the age of 24. Fair play to him, a very good goal-scorer.

Looks like it has collapsed after he failed a medical. Shame. Had two lengthy spells out whilst at Swindon and another just after joining Burnley due to problems with his shoulder and looks like that's scuppered a big money move. I imagine he'll move for free next summer now as insurance should be less of an issue then.

I wonder if Hull will go back in for Gary Hooper now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

swoody wrote: »
    Wigan signed Grant Holt

That's a great signing for Wigan.

Surely bull.that will leave dzeko on his own unless the sign someone!

Theyve been linked with Osvaldo and Negredo recently although I think City could and should be aiming higher then both of those CF's, especially if theres any truth in Aguero leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Johner wrote: »
    That's a great signing for Wigan.

Three year contract though... I don't know. He'll score loads this year but you imagine he'll be on decent money and it doesn't seem the most financially prudent move.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Interesting quotes from Strootman today also.

Surprised it wasn't mentioned but Sky Italia are claiming that PSV have rejected a €14M bid from Roma for Strootman. The player is very much open to a move to the Italian capital. €20M is the figure PSV want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

2nd best defence in the year last year....ya nowhere near strong enough :rolleyes: also our midfield is strong enough we're just lacking a top centre forward and more depth all round

But hadn't Arsenal a top CF in RVP, although he had his injuries.

If they got a quality striker, they'd move closer to the top alright but clubs like City and Chelsea will be stronger next season than last imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Surprised it wasn't mentioned but Sky Italia are claiming that PSV have rejected a €14M bid from Roma for Strootman. The player is very much open to a move to the Italian capital. €20M is the figure PSV want.

If they sell Osvaldo, Lamela, Marquinos or De Rossi that deal may go through quickly as they dropped interest in Nainggolan sudden when it looked like he was in the bag.
    Milan linked to Menez now(you know there are positions besides up top), i'd rather we buy a bag of manure instead.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

GTR63 wrote: »
    If they sell Osvaldo, Lamela, Marquinos or De Rossi that deal may go through quickly as they dropped interest in Nainggolan sudden when it looked like he was in the bag.
    Milan linked to Menez now(you know there are positions besides up top), i'd rather we buy a bag of manure instead.

Ah don't say that :(

Despite there'll be at least one departure you have to imagine, I hope all stay at Roma since I have a soft spot for them.
    GTR63 wrote: »

Though I seemingly can't find it now! Read on Twitter a little earlier that he had surgery this morning and will be out for at least three months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Ah don't say that :(

Despite there'll be at least one departure you have to imagine, I hope all stay at Roma since I have a soft spot for them.

Though I seemingly can't find it now! Read on Twitter a little earlier that he had surgery this morning and will be out for at least three months.

I`m fond of Roma too in particular a certain il capitano. Wouldn`t kill me if Osvaldo left(I am convinced Destro will come good) but I wouldn`t like to see De Rossi, Lamela or Marquinos move. The latter need more time to develop after really good seasons.

Dutch media are saying Strootman looks to be going to Roma for €15m.
    http://www.football-italia.net/36251/dutch-see-strootman-roma

Callejon has joined Napoli and Icardi is going to wear the No.9 at Inter next season. The latter is going there in a co-ownership deal with Samp.

• Advertisement
Advertisement