Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Fine, every player in the world is greedy and only motivated by money, they are just as bad as winston bogarde and would all join Al Alhi if offered the chance to collect massive wages for doing feck all, none of them are driven by desire to win things or play for big clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Seaneh wrote: »
    Fine, every player in the world is greedy and only motivated by money, they are just as bad as winston bogarde and would all join Al Alhi if offered the chance to collect massive wages for doing feck all, none of them are driven by desire to win things or play for big clubs.

Not saying that, just money is a motivating factor for every player hence the need for wage structures i.e. minimize the jealousy between players at a club over what they earn.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Reports in Italy this afternoon that Juventus have agreed a wage deal with Gonzalo Higuain and just have to agree a fee with Real now.

Him and Llorente upfront for Juve next season would be a massive improvement for them over the current strikers.

Been a fair bit of talk of Juve being very interested in signing Twente's Chadli over the past as well. Belgian lad who plays on the LW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Falcao to Monaco, completing a move to Robbie Keanes boyhood club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Falcao to Monaco, completing a move to Robbie Keanes boyhood club.

I don't get it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Dempsey wrote: »
    You heard it here first, Milan players arent greedy, money isnt a motivating factor. Its all about the club and trophies. I heard it all now.

Players over 30 taking pay cuts is nothing new, all those players are probably still getting more than they would elsewhere for a players of their ability and age. Spin it whatever way you like though.

Also, players on the continent negotiate wages after tax. In England they negotiate & talk about gross. Italy's highest tax band is not as high as England either. Dunno what made you think that.

Actually it's well known that countless layers love to play for Milan and love everything that goes with it. Look at Thiago Silva, Ibrahimovic and the likes. Many former Milan players would gladly take a pay cut to come back and play for them. You still seem to refuse to acknowledge the contribution of Muntari and Flamini? Both are under 30 and took pay cuts? Balotelli took a pay cut too? What's your problem?

Just because Rooney, Tevez and the likes are greedy as can be doesn't mean that every other player is the same.

It's funny, I started off by trying to say how greedy Falcao would be if he moved to Monaco and that it was solely money-motivated. You argued the opposite, yet now you're trying to suggest that every player that ever played the game is like that? And I'm in the opposite position, trying to give examples of players that aren't money-motivated. It's funny what people resort to when they're losing an argument.

Just because United or Liverpool or whatever other club you support doesn't consist of players that would rather take a pay cut and play at the highest level for a prestigious club, it doesn't mean that every club is the same.

Actually it's well known that countless layers love to play for Milan and love everything that goes with it. Look at Thiago Silva, Ibrahimovic and the likes. Many former Milan players would gladly take a pay cut to come back and play for them. You still seem to refuse to acknowledge the contribution of Muntari and Flamini? Both are under 30 and took pay cuts? Balotelli took a pay cut too? What's your problem?

Just because Rooney, Tevez and the likes are greedy as can be doesn't mean that every other player is the same.

It's funny, I started off by trying to say how greedy Falcao would be if he moved to Monaco and that it was solely money-motivated. You argued the opposite, yet now you're trying to suggest that every player that ever played the game is like that? And I'm in the opposite position, trying to give examples of players that aren't money-motivated. It's funny what people resort to when they're losing an argument.

Just because United or Liverpool or whatever other club you support doesn't consist of players that would rather take a pay cut and play at the highest level for a prestigious club, it doesn't mean that every club is the same.

Flamini was offered a ridiculous contract as a free agent that wasnt going to be renewed at the same terms because he wasnt that good. Most of the players you mention taking pay cuts are doing so because its the going rate for them. Also ye keep ignoring that pay cuts usually mean that the signing on fee is large as a compensation. Can you prove that pay cut wasnt offset by a large signing on fee?

Thiago Silva & Ibra have moved on to another challenge and their wages are nice. Balotelli moved for money to ManC

Did I argue that? I argued what is the difference, there isnt any really. Money is an important and valid motivator like the prospect of silverware/challenge. You cant do one without the other, they go hand in hand.

On a Monaco related note, they officially secured promotion to Ligue 1 next season.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Flamini was offered a ridiculous contract as a free agent that wasnt going to be renewed at the same terms because he wasnt that good. Most of the players you mention taking pay cuts are doing so because its the going rate for them. Also ye keep ignoring that pay cuts usually mean that the signing on fee is large as a compensation. Can you prove that pay cut wasnt offset by a large signing on fee?

Thiago Silva & Ibra have moved on to another challenge and their wages are nice. Balotelli moved for money to ManC

Did I argue that? I argued what is the difference, there isnt any really. Money is an important and valid motivator like the prospect of silverware/challenge. You cant do one without the other, they go hand in hand.

Fair enough, I'll not argue for the sake of it because I agree with a good few of your points. It still shows that when clubs treat players right, they'll gladly put the club ahead of their own potential earnings. I can't prove that the pay cuts weren't offset by a large signing on fee because I don't have access to that info. Equally though, I know that you can't prove the opposite.

I'll agree that money is an important and valid motivator like the prospect of silverware/challenge. However, my whole point in the beginning was that by joining Monaco, money would be Falcao's solitary motivation as the silverware/challenge he will be competing for is of a lower standard. I still stand by that

Obviously I dont have exact figures/examples but AFAIK, pay cut and/or reduced contract length offset by increased signing on fee and other incentives is a common practice.

I agree, players will show a degree of loyalty when they feel apart of something bigger than themselves etc.

Monaco are offering Falcao high net wages to join, that alone isnt going to convince him. Plans/promises to bring in other players of his caliber to the club, push for silverware is an incentive, improve facilities, grow the brand etc

Chelsea had to do it, Man City are currently doing it, PSG/Anzi are doing it, Porto/Benfica/Belgian clubs do it to an extent with their exploitation of visa rules for foreign nationals. The perception of the football superpowers is going to change from the traditional/historical ones to those with the financial backers with big ideas and the most creative accounts to get around tax & FFP rules, sad fact unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So then Rooney is boo'd at OT as Fergie comes clean about him putting in a transfer request. Where does he go? PSG? Real Madrid? Milan? Chelsea? (only kidding!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'd love him at Arsenal but his wages are easily twice that of our current highest earner. Doubt he'd be willing to take enough of a pay cut to make it doable.

Monaco :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I'd love him at Arsenal but his wages are easily twice that of our current highest earner. Doubt he'd be willing to take enough of a pay cut to make it doable.

I'd hate him at Arsenal. He wouldn't suit us at all.

Rooney while undoubtedly talented needs way too much babying to get the best out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The problem with Rooney is that the only English sides that can afford his wages are Manchester City and Chelsea. Both need out-and-out goalscorers in the mould of Cavani or Falcao which Rooney is not. He just does not strike me as a player who would survive abroad either. He can barely speak English and his lifestyle and attitude leaves a lot to be desired. He's also going to burn out early. I can't see any top European team going for him.

I think he's either going to have to put his tail between his legs and stay at Manchester United, or move to a foreign money bags team who are looking for a big name but who don't play at the top level of competition (Champions League for example).

Paully D wrote: »
    The problem with Rooney is that the only English sides that can afford his wages are Manchester City and Chelsea. Both need out-and-out goalscorers in the mould of Cavani or Falcao which Rooney is not. He just does not strike me as a player who would survive abroad either. He can barely speak English and his lifestyle and attitude leaves a lot to be desired. He's also going to burn out early. I can't see any top European team going for him.

I think he's either going to have to put his tail between his legs and stay at Manchester United, or move to a foreign money bags team who are looking for a big name.

Agree completely, PSG looks a good shout though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

I think he's either going to have to put his tail between his legs and stay at Manchester United, or move to a foreign money bags team who are looking for a big name but who don't play at the top level of competition (Champions League for example).

I don't get why wages should be such a huge issue for Rooney. I agree, I doubt he wants to move abroad but he's earned nearly 50 M in wages. Dropping down to say 100 k a week would make a negligible difference to his lifestyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

According to some reports I read today the Falcao move has nothing to do with money or greed, but is a way to get around his "Anti Real Madrid" clause.

He will just be "parked" at Monaco for 6 months, and then Monaco will sell him on in the Winter Transfer Window for the exact same amount to Real.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

DubDani wrote: »
    According to some reports I read today the Falcao move has nothing to do with money or greed, but is a way to get around his "Anti Real Madrid" clause.

He will just be "parked" at Monaco for 6 months, and then Monaco will sell him on in the Winter Transfer Window for the exact same amount to Real.

I doubt this is reality to be honest, unless Real are going to be sending a few players on loan to Monaco or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I doubt this is reality to be honest, unless Real are going to be sending a few players on loan to Monaco or something.

That would also be highly probably as well, theyve got a lot of players to shift. Maybe even Higuain to Monaco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

mike65 wrote: »
    So then Rooney is boo'd at OT as Fergie comes clean about him putting in a transfer request. Where does he go? PSG? Real Madrid? Milan? Chelsea? (only kidding!)

Russia hopefully

Reports in French media that Falcao to Monaco has been finalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

I wonder who they will get in to replace him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fair play to Falcao if it completes. Get real paid and rub shoulders in the glitz and glamour of sunny Monaco. I'd call that making it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Time for someone to go home imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Will be interesting alright, theyve managed to cope with selling torres and aguero so id imagine theyll find a good replacement. Wonder would they go for chichorito, far too good of a player for a bench player for any team, reckon hed do well there.

Andy Carroll :)

Or someone like Aubameyang, Yılmaz, Martinez, Jovetić and Bony. Depends what type of forward Simeone wants really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rooney is an out and out goalscorer when played up front. I'm not sure how after two 25+ goal seasons in the premier league in the last 4 that it is in doubt. Injuries slow him down a lot, when he gets through a season avoiding injury he is a fantastic goalscorer. I'd actually rate his goalscoring ability in the last couple of seasons as far better than his much heralded general play which has definitely declined in recent seasons.

Talks with Dortmund and Eriksen will be held in the next couple of weeks over a move.

Also, the guy who originally broke the BILD Goetze to Bayern story has said we've agreed terms with De Bruyne, up to us and Chelsea to agree a fee now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Atletico dont own Falcao.

Doyen investments do and they want to be paid.

Long read

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1e8ncw/explaining_the_falcao_move_to_monaco/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Talks with Dortmund and Eriksen will be held in the next couple of weeks over a move.

Also, the guy who originally broke the BILD Goetze to Bayern story has said we've agreed terms with De Bruyne, up to us and Chelsea to agree a fee now.

Thought I read somewhere that there is an agreement if De Bruyne signes with Dortmund then, Lewandowski would be free to sign with Chelsea?

Might try and dig out the article.

EDIT: Here it is..http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130509/lewandowski-goetze-german-transfer-market-complicates-offseason/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I see links between Fabregas and United are appearing. Can't see it myself. Same article suggesting they are going for Ronaldo, which I doubt holds much water.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/manchester-united-make-shock-move-for-former-arsenal-captain-cesc-fabregas-8614167.html

Thought I read somewhere that there is an agreement if De Bruyne signes with Dortmund then, Lewandowski would be free to sign with Chelsea?

Might try and dig out the article.

EDIT: Here it is..http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130509/lewandowski-goetze-german-transfer-market-complicates-offseason/

Aye, had it mind for ages that if we signed De Bruyne, Lewy could go the other way. Better he goes there then Bayern anyway.

Sully wrote: »
    I see links between Fabregas and United are appearing. Can't see it myself. Same article suggesting they are going for Ronaldo, which I doubt holds much water.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/manchester-united-make-shock-move-for-former-arsenal-captain-cesc-fabregas-8614167.html
    While it's unlikely, the move makes sense for all parties imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Fabregas to Utd would be a brilliant coup for Utd, however unlikely it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Liam O wrote: »
    While it's unlikely, the move makes sense for all parties imo.

Which one? Fabragas or Ronaldo?

As an Arsenal fan Fabragas would hurt. Doesnt seem like a likely one tho. I dont think Barca would sell him. They'd be mental to .

The Ronaldo to UTD I thought might have happened. I find it hard to imagine happening now with fergie gone.

jonny666 wrote: »
    Which one? Fabragas or Ronaldo?

As an Arsenal fan Fabragas would hurt. Doesnt seem like a likely one tho. I dont think Barca would sell him. They'd be mental to .

The Ronaldo to UTD I thought might have happened. I find it hard to imagine happening now with fergie gone.
    Sorry, meant Fabregas. He'd fit in perfectly at United with the way the squad is. Not really working out too well at Barca who I'd say will be spending this Summer. Good age and Barca would get good money for him. I can only imagine how crappy it would be for Arsenal fans though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Liam O wrote: »
    Sorry, meant Fabregas. He'd fit in perfectly at United with the way the squad is. Not really working out too well at Barca who I'd say will be spending this Summer. Good age and Barca would get good money for him. I can only imagine how crappy it would be for Arsenal fans though...

Do UTD even need him? He has been playing pretty far up the pitch for Barca.

Would he slot in behind the striker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Atletico dont own Falcao.

Doyen investments do and they want to be paid.

Long read

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1e8ncw/explaining_the_falcao_move_to_monaco/

I came into the thread to post the same article. It's a very good explanation of how messed up the whole situation is, and is a scary insight into the problems of Atletico Madrid and how much power Jorge Mendes has over the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Madrid have approached PSG for Ancelotti.Jose to Chelsea looks to be a step closer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

zerks wrote: »
    Madrid have approached PSG for Ancelotti.Jose to Chelsea looks to be a step closer.

Source?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Source?

heard that an newstalk about 8:05

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Source?
    It was on SSN earlier today.

Bild reporting that Klopp and some of the higher ups went to Porto to watch Martinez this past weekend. One of them (Zorc) went to see Benteke as well against Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

rumours that Monaco are lining up Tevez and Evra now that the Falcao deal is supposedly done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

One of them (Zorc) went to see Benteke as well against Chelsea.

Hopefully he didn't like what he saw and had nothing to report :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Swansea have signed Jose Canas from Real Betis on a free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

swoody wrote: »
    Swansea have signed Jose Canas from Real Betis on a free

Interesting, presume Michu will resume his role up front from next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Reports from Spain suggesting Barca will listen to offers of €25 million for Thiago,Barcelona are looking to free up cash to sign Neymar and other defensive recruits, by selling of David Villa, Victor Valdes and Alexis Sanchez and Thiago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

zerks wrote: »
    Reports from Spain suggesting Barca will listen to offers of €25 million for Thiago,Barcelona are looking to free up cash to sign Neymar and other defensive recruits, by selling of David Villa, Victor Valdes and Alexis Sanchez and Thiago.

He looks a talent but €25 million seems a bit inflated.

Advertisement