Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

que relegation in march

People will laugh off your comment, but you just never know if the the team will click on a constant basis. Good squads have been scrapping for the lives in the past till the death, a couple being too good to go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    People will laugh off your comment, but you just never know if the the team will click on a constant basis. Good squads have been scrapping for the lives in the past till the death, a couple being too good to go down.

Newcastle didn't exactly give their supporters a comfortable time last season after all the quality they added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

If I'm not mistaken, Norwich did look in danger a couple of times of being really dragged into the relegation battle. They didn't start all too well, although draws against Arsenal and Spurs were credible results. Then around October - mid December the kicked on and defensively really locked down winning 6 and drawing the other 4 matches going undefeated in that period. From the 22nd of December is where things went downhill, all the way till midway in April they had only won a single game that being against Everton.

So, never looking to be danger of the drop isn't really correct, especially considering all the teams in the bottom half if not a couple more in the top half were fighting for safety with a month or so to go.

Was going to post similar ...

Speaking of Norwich...

Mohamed Moallim ‏@jouracule 24s
    Norwich City pull out of transfer deal (€5.5 million) for Ola Toivonen; player not interested in a move. [eindhovens dagblad] #PSV

Santos have pulled out of the Robinho deal apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Santos have pulled out of the Robinho deal apparently.

With every fibre of my being I hate their f*cking guts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Speaking of Norwich...

Mohamed Moallim ‏@jouracule 24s
    Norwich City pull out of transfer deal (€5.5 million) for Ola Toivonen; player not interested in a move. [eindhovens dagblad] #PSV

More good transfer business from Norwich.

He is just not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

So, never looking to be danger of the drop isn't really correct, especially considering all the teams in the bottom half if not a couple more in the top half were fighting for safety with a month or so to go.

Well of the teams around them they looked the least likely to drop down . Sunderland , Newcastle , Southampton and Aston Villa always looked they had a bigger chance of the drop . Like I said they where never really in danger of it because they have been a fairly solid under Chris Hughton . At the beginning you could say they looked to be in alot of trouble but they turned it around by playing the same way . Alot of the credit should go to Paul Lambert because he left them in a very solid state .

inforfun wrote: »
    More good transfer business from Norwich.

He is just not worth the hassle.

Aye.

Woy wanted him when in charge of Liverpool. Sigh of relief when we avoided him.
    Well of the teams around them they looked the least likely to drop down . Sunderland , Newcastle , Southampton and Aston Villa always looked they had a bigger chance of the drop . Like I said they where never really in danger of it because they have been a fairly solid under Chris Hughton . At the beginning you could say they looked to be in alot of trouble but they turned it around by playing the same way . Alot of the credit should go to Paul Lambert because he left them in a very solid state .

I'll give you that and the point about Lambert. I just remember one or two Norwich fans being very worried during the season at their sudden drop in form and some of the football they had been playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Thaigo Silva could be on the way to Barca

Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Thaigo Silva could be on the way to Barca

Link

Why can't Barcelona do some scouting and buy players for more reasonable prices instead of tending to sign big names.
    One year after his huge transfer they try to target Silva, knowing full well it will be a huge financial outlay or almost impossible.

If true of course.

Roma have agreed a fee of €20M with PSV for Strootman, but need to provide bank confirmation according to press in Eindhoven .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

JPA wrote: »
    Why can't Barcelona do some scouting and buy players for more reasonable prices instead of tending to sign big names.
    One year after his huge transfer they try to target Silva, knowing full well it will be a huge financial outlay or almost impossible.

If true of course.

With the amount of players they bring through without having to sign, I don't think it's a big deal to make their signings marquee ones.

CSF wrote: »
    With the amount of players they bring through without having to sign, I don't think it's a big deal to make their signings marquee ones.

It is because they are not rolling in dough like you would imagine.

It is because they are not rolling in dough like you would imagine.

I'm aware, but I can't imagine a world where Barcelona would ever self-destruct.

CSF wrote: »
    I'm aware, but I can't imagine a world where Barcelona would ever self-destruct.

Ya, it's just an annoyance of mine.

Ya, it's just an annoyance of mine.

It is largely down to the club president elections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

not a great transfer window so far for the Premier League
    not too many big stars coming to the league like Falcao & Cavani both going to France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

They went on a run of 16 games with 1 win. Their second half of the season was very poor and was relegation form. If he starts this season in the same vein he'll be gone very soon.

What's the story with Higuain to Arsenal? It's quuoted in the paper over here that Perez has said Arsenal have not made any approach to date, so where the £23m figure has come out of I don't know.

Just a lot of paper stuff. I don't know why fans get themselves in a tizz. There's been nothing official with Arsenal about Rooney, Higuain or Suarez. Similar applies with Liverpool. Once "the right" paper or journo says something it's taken as gospel to suit an agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What's the craic with this Thiago thing then? I know it's only one source but him joining up with Pep at Bayern could be a runner, though not sure where in the team he'd fit.

I, like many others I'm sure, thought his move to United was a foregone conclusion. With Strootman off to Roma by the looks of things, it could be a bd few days. Unless Moyes has a good contingency plan of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What's the craic with this Thiago thing then? I know it's only one source but him joining up with Pep at Bayern could be a runner, though not sure where in the team he'd fit.

I, like many others I'm sure, thought his move to United was a foregone conclusion. With Strootman off to Roma by the looks of things, it could be a bd few days. Unless Moyes has a good contingency plan of course.

The story is, this radio station is claiming Bayern are in for him. Now, this could be true, but they could just be saying it for the craic. A lot of media outlets (and some very reputable journalists) are claiming United are his choice, and have been for about a month, but nobody knows because Thiago himself is, and has been this whole time, on holiday. He is due back to Barca training on Monday the 15th, that's the day I think we find out what is actually happening.

I believe Moyes wasn't convinced on Strootman, so didn't pull the trigger, I believe Thiago is our main target, and I would be worried if we don't sign him as I don't know of many who could come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

They went on a run of 16 games with 1 win. Their second half of the season was very poor and was relegation form. If he starts this season in the same vein he'll be gone very soon.

Norwich seem to be taking a risk and spending all their tv money trying to move up the table for Hughtons own sake he better hope it works if they go down after that outlaw it'll be rough.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    The story is, this radio station is claiming Bayern are in for him. Now, this could be true, but they could just be saying it for the craic. A lot of media outlets (and some very reputable journalists) are claiming United are his choice, and have been for about a month, but nobody knows because Thiago himself is, and has been this whole time, on holiday. He is due back to Barca training on Monday the 15th, that's the day I think we find out what is actually happening.

I believe Moyes wasn't convinced on Strootman, so didn't pull the trigger, I believe Thiago is our main target, and I would be worried if we don't sign him as I don't know of many who could come in.

Ah, didn't know that part. That'll be the day something proper happens so.

I know it's been the case for years, but more so than ever United need a couple of midfielders.

• Advertisement

Ah, didn't know that part. That'll be the day something proper happens so.

I know it's been the case for years, but more so than ever United need a couple of midfielders.

Ah will ya stop. This must be the 4th summer in a row we've all thought "SURELY we need to strengthen at CM!" But no. We've been told theres no value in the market, and seen Vidal and the like go for peanuts, we've been told Fletcher is like a new signing, we've been told we have youngsters like Paul Pogba who was wedged out of the equation, Phil Jones/Wayne Rooney can play there. It's crazy. It was even worse last year before Carrick upped a level.

That's why there is such a fuss over this deal in the United Superthread. I'm waiting patiently to hear what happens when he goes back to FCB, but some are checking for updates by the hour and tearing their hair out.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Ah will ya stop. This must be the 4th summer in a row we've all thought "SURELY we need to strengthen at CM!" But no. We've been told theres no value in the market, and seen Vidal and the like go for peanuts, we've been told Fletcher is like a new signing, we've been told we have youngsters like Paul Pogba who was wedged out of the equation, Phil Jones/Wayne Rooney can play there. It's crazy. It was even worse last year before Carrick upped a level.

That's why there is such a fuss over this deal in the United Superthread. I'm waiting patiently to hear what happens when he goes back to FCB, but some are checking for updates by the hour and tearing their hair out.

I could sort of understand it in recent years though with Scholes re-joining, hope and loyalty with Fletcher, and a deluded faith that Anderson might come good (:pac:).

All three ships have sailed though and with Fergie gone I thought a different mindset would recognise how big an issue it is. Maybe not.

I could sort of understand it in recent years though with Scholes re-joining, hope and loyalty with Fletcher, and a deluded faith that Anderson might come good (:pac:).

All three ships have sailed though and with Fergie gone I thought a different mindset would recognise how big an issue it is. Maybe not.

No you're right. Although I think Moyes knows this and I would hope we have a contingency plan if he doesn't sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I didn't believe he would move at all given his stance on Barcelona. The only rumors of playing time being an issue were the ones mentioned in the press. I didn't hear anything about that through family links. But this Bayern thing seems to hold weight after a conversation I had last night with relatives. Pep's brother Pere is still Thi's agent so there may be some leverage on Bayern's behalf. The guy is a culture hound and I could see him in Munich more so than Manchester. But still a move from Barcelona is very surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

GTR63 wrote: »
    Norwich seem to be taking a risk and spending all their tv money trying to move up the table for Hughtons own sake he better hope it works if they go down after that outlaw it'll be rough.

They're not spending their tv money. The club was officially debt free at the beginning of the season and didn't make many signings during the Jan transfer window. The only talk of tv money being spent is the idea of adding a second tier on to the City Stand. The reason why they were in trouble last season coming towards the end is that we only had 3 strikers on the books. Hopefully with RVW, we'll get another one or two during the window.

Pretty happy that they pulled out of the Ola Toivonen deal because anyone I've been talking to that are fans in the Eredivisie say that he's just another Joey Barton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Nacer Chadli agent has said there have been talks between Spurs and Twente for a few months but no contract has yet been offered to his client meaning they are no where near agreeing just yet.

Benteke has supposedly said he wants a move to Spurs but Spurs are 100% not going to offer the £25m Villa are looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Few quotes from pep seems thiago will be getting his game time at munich and that he really wants him there..

"We need Thiago. Either Thiago will come or no other player will come to Bayern for the coming season. He's a super-super player. He can play on 3, 4 or 5 positions. He's an intelligent, mental tough player"

"We have to play six competitions. I need the whole team. We need the special characteristic of Thiago for the team. I think he is good for us. Thiago could play on the 6 and the 8 and the 10 and the 11 and 7"

So Pep seems to definitely want Thiago

Soure: guy on reddit :pac: i believe he had a presser today though where thise quotes are from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Swansea in talks for Esteban Granero. Despite QPR's shocking season, I still think he'd be a very good signing. Would fit in perfect with Laudrups philosophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Corholio wrote: »
    Swansea in talks for Esteban Granero. Despite QPR's shocking season, I still think he'd be a very good signing. Would fit in perfect with Laudrups philosophy.

Far better suited to Swansea's style of play. QPR last season was a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

I actually rate Granero quite highly. Felt he never really got the appreciation he deserved at Madrid. There was a period where Khedira and himself were the best CM partnership they had.
    Thought he played well at times in the mess that was QPR and would definitely improve most prem sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yeah Granero and Swansea seem a perfect fit really.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

That's a kick in the teeth for United. Nice to know Arsenal fans aren't the only ones enduring frustration this summer... :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Arsenal in for Kondogbia apparently. Would be an impressive signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

That's a kick in the teeth for United. Nice to know Arsenal fans aren't the only ones enduring frustration this summer... :/
    We're well used to it. More than anybody else I would say.
    He's just another Sneijder, Özil or Ronaldinho. At least this one is going to end sooner rather than later. Then on to the next nailed on midfielder that never materialises :(

Swansea have completed the transfer of Bony2K13 from Vitesse for €14m, signed a 4 year deal.

edit - chuffed for Granero if he gets his move to Swansea. Said last summer that I wouldn't have minded had Liverpool signed him. Been really unlucky the past few years since playing for Getafe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Bony and Michu.

that can only produce good things

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Leiva wrote: »
    Bony and Michu.

that can only produce good things

As I said in the Fantasy Football they will now be known as Boney M :pac:

*Goes to get his coat and realises it's too hot for a coat so struts off and puts on sunglasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Swansea have completed the transfer of Bony2K13 from Vitesse for €14m, signed a 4 year deal.

edit - chuffed for Granero if he gets his move to Swansea. Said last summer that I wouldn't have minded had Liverpool signed him. Been really unlucky the past few years since playing for Getafe.
    Bony is a super signing, a demon finisher, can see him banging them in this season, really disappointed Liverpool never looked his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Romeu to Valencia on loan, with option to buy.

Very happy with the signing- if he stays injury free he could be a very important player for Valencia.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

elefant wrote: »
    Romeu to Valencia on loan, with option to buy.

Very happy with the signing- if he stays injury free he could be a very important player for Valencia.

Agreed, he's looked good whenever he's had a prolonged spell in the Chelsea team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Where the hell did Swansea get 14 million from? They could of got 2 really good players for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Crystal Palace are closing in on Odemwingie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Crystal Palace are closing in on Odemwingie

I wonder will he show up at their training ground for the craic .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

colly_06 wrote: »
    Where the hell did Swansea get 14 million from? They could of got 2 really good players for that.

Increased TV deal means budgets for EPL clubs is very different compared to what was expected last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

colly_06 wrote: »

Just what they need isn't it? They got midtable with a lower league striker up front, won a cup with an advanced midfielder up front and now they've gone out and paid top money for a top striker who seems to have every attribute needed to fit right into their system.

Advertisement