Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Which is worse - United's centre-midfield or Barca's centre-defence?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Agreed, he's looked good whenever he's had a prolonged spell in the Chelsea team.

Totally agree with this. While I know he suffered a fairly bad injury, thus missing the second half of last season, that aside I was mystified as to why he didn't get more game time at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Rolando Bianchi is gone to Bologna from Torino, Anthony Modeste from Bastia to hoffenheim, Demichelis Malaga to Atletico, Colombian striker Carlos Bacca from Brugge to Sevilla, Giovanni Dos Santos from Mallorca to Villareal and finally Michael Higdon Motherwell to NEC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The Independent: Does Pep Guardiola's pursuit of Thiago Alcantara signal the end of Bastian Schweinsteiger's Bayern Munich career?

tumblr_inline_mhkq7cSHSX1qz4rgp.gif

Edit: Thaigo has agreed to join Bayern according to Sky Italia & Tuttomercaweb (Tancredi Palmeri on twitter)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Emanuele Giaccherini to Sunderland is a little strange, thought he'd have higher profile suitors?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Emanuele Giaccherini to Sunderland is a little strange, thought he'd have higher profile suitors?

He's not great to be honest. I'd say he's getting good money to go up there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Forren going back to Molde from Southampton is also strange. I don't know why he wasn't given a single chance there but he is too good to be going back to Norway because it didn't work out.

They changed manager during the season I think, so maybe that had something to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Could you imagine going from Conte managing you to Di Canio. Hope he doesn't bother leaving it wouldn't help his WC chances aswell too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Roque Santa Cruz to Malaga: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23273212

Really thought he'd opt for Hamburg.

Oat23 wrote: »

Edit: Thaigo has agreed to join Bayern according to Sky Italia & Tuttomercaweb (Tancredi Palmeri on twitter)

Pep and Bayern are a bigger draw than Moyes and Utd tbf. Will be interesting to hear how and when Bayern contacted him. Looked like Utd were in the driving seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Pep and Bayern are a bigger draw than Moyes and Utd tbf. Will be interesting to hear how and when Bayern contacted him. Looked like Utd were in the driving seat.

Pep's brother is Thiago's agent, I believe. That's definitely got to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jernal wrote: »
    Pep's brother is Thiago's agent, I believe. That's definitely got to help.

I'd be very surprised if Pep doesnt get Thiago if he really wants him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Forren going back to Molde from Southampton is also strange. I don't know why he wasn't given a single chance there but he is too good to be going back to Norway because it didn't work out.

They changed manager during the season I think, so maybe that had something to do with it.

He joined the day Adkins was sacked I think.

Speaking of Southampton. Wanyama has confirmed himself as a Saints player with local radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,208 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Southampton have signed Victor Wanyama on a 4 year contract, fee undisclosed. Big coup for Pochettino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

jebforever wrote: »
    Southampton have signed Victor Wanyama on a 4 year contract, fee undisclosed. Big coup for Pochettino.

Proven in the SPL, nowhere else. Probably overpaid to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

They have retracted it now

I am pie wrote: »
    Proven in the SPL, nowhere else. Probably overpaid to be honest.

Proven in the champions league and europa league aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Jose Callejon joined Napoli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

He's a bit ****e tbh.

He's a bit ****e tbh.

They are more than a bit sh*te though.
    Juve signed Ogbonna from Torino today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

With Falcao hitting the 50 million mark, saw a list of top 5 transfers on sky. Scary stuff.

Ronaldo(80m) but then ...

Ibramovich (56m)
    Torres (50m)
    Kaka (50m)

Massive fails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

When you add in Eto'o's value that transfer probably hits 90-100 million.

gosplan wrote: »
    With Falcao hitting the 50 million mark, saw a list of top 5 transfers on sky. Scary stuff.

Ronaldo(80m) but then ...

Ibramovich (56m)
    Torres (50m)
    Kaka (50m)

Massive fails

What about Zidane? 150 billion Italian lire. (about €75 million)

Or were they just looking at ones that went wrong? Zidane done a job at Madrid that's for sure :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

What about Zidane? 150 billion Italian lire. (about €75 million)

Or were they just looking at ones that went wrong? Zidane done a job at Madrid that's for sure :D

£48 million at the time, inflation would have it higher up the list though. Don't know about Ibra's being a complete failure either tbh, part of it was Barca trying to make him play in a manner he just doesn't.

Also thought Kaka's was ~£56 million, he was the highest transfer fee ever for like a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Madrid sign Asier Illarramendi he'll be unveiled tomorrow .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

When you add in Eto'o's value that transfer probably hits 90-100 million.

56million includes Eto'o, who Barca had been trying to offload for two seasons at that stage and nobody was willing to pay the €20million they wanted for him.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Eto'o's wages were particularly huge too if I recall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Eto'o's wages were particularly huge too if I recall.

Yeah, I remember reading 200kper week or more...

People get awful carried away about Eto'o, he is (was) a very good player, but he was never THAT good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Seaneh wrote: »

People get awful carried away about Eto'o, he is (was) a very good player, but he was never THAT good.
    disagree
    one of the best strikers in the last 10 years imo
    Barca getting rid of him was a big mistake as they won the treble when he was with them & they were not so reliant on Messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think Eto'o for about 4 years between his Barca and Inter time was one of the best CFs in Europe, lighting quick, good technique and he was a finisher as well.

At his peak I reckon he was top 5 in the world at the time.

Seaneh wrote: »

Remember reading that Pep didn't like him at all.
    Zlatan was so badly wasted at Barca its not even funny. A big part of the reason his fee was so big was that Barca wanted to make a big marquee signing while Real were buying guys for anything between 20-80m. Inter knew that too.
    Kinda like PSG paying more for Cavani seemingly so they can tout he costs more than Falcao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭DenMan

Chelsea have sent Oriol Romeu on loan to Valencia for the season.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3235979/title/romeu-starts-loan-in-spain

I was saying to my dad the other dad it is amazing the fall from grace Kaka had. He was the best player in the world or one of them for years. Then after going to Madrid out of all places it just went to ****. He won a WC in 2002 didn't he?

Milan seem to have a knack of selling players at the perfect time, whether they know something or maybe luck. Well just Kaka and Shevchenko really..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Shay Given to Doncaster is a bit of a mad one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I was saying to my dad the other dad it is amazing the fall from grace Kaka had. He was the best player in the world or one of them for years. Then after going to Madrid out of all places it just went to ****. He won a WC in 2002 didn't he?

Hes been painfully unlucky with injuries at Real and his form has struggled an enough lot becasue of it.

It doesnt help either that in his 2 best positions, behind a striker and free coming from the left are occupied by two of some of the best players in their positions in Ozil and Ronaldo respectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Asier Illarramendi has gone to Real Madrid from Real Sociedad for £34m.

Kaka's knees were proper fu*ked by the time he went to Real, I consider it almost karma for Redondo.
    Napoli have signed Rafael from Santos, I doubt they'll go for Julio Cesar now. Italian teams haven't the luxury of spending 5m for back ups.
    After selling Anderson, Neymar and now him I still doubt they'll come back for Blobinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Xavi6 wrote: »
    WAT?!

wat_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Xavi6 wrote: »

Ya, they are getting some Irish investors.
    Some talk of Dunne as well but looks like he will join QPR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

0,,10265~10403769,00.jpg
    What a difference a season can make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

SlickRic wrote: »
    Asier Illarramendi has gone to Real Madrid from Real Sociedad for £34m.
    good player
    but a huge fee for a 23 year old who doesn't have a Senior Spanish cap

LOL @ Given on his tip toes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Reports in Italy that Norwich will sign Quagliarella from Juve next week for around 9million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Sky sources : Juventus have accepted a bid from Sunderland for Giaccherini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Illarramendi's purchase will leave Sociedad reluctant to sell any more promising players, like Martinez :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Reports in Italy that Norwich will sign Quagliarella from Juve next week for around 9million

Bloody hell Norwich mean business, although kind of expensive for a 30 year old having signed The Wolf already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

0,,10265~10403769,00.jpg
    What a difference a season can make.

How many left at villa from this pic?

Given -> Doncaster
    Dunne -> ? on the move to ?
    Keane -> LA Galaxy
    Williams -> Bristol City
    Ireland -> ? on the move to ?
    Devine -> Inverness

others are still there I think? I know Stevens started to become a regular in the first team (not sure if this will still be the case after the new signings) and Clark is a regular. Carruthers would probably hope to break through this year, Burke probably hasn't much of a chance at getting game time next year but is still young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Bloody hell Norwich mean business, although kind of expensive for a 30 year old having signed The Wolf already

Very expensive, if that's sterling it's more than Juve paid for him in the first place. Not convinced by this signing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement