Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Its 9 million euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

MD1990 wrote: »
    good player
    but a huge fee for a 23 year old who doesn't have a Senior Spanish cap

Ya could hardly hold that against him given the talent they have in midfield to be fair! Busquets, Cazorla, Fàbregas, Xavi, Iniesta, David Silva, Javi Martínez and Mata are all older than him and at bigger clubs (until now). When they lose once in 30 odd games they probably wouldn't be looking to change things up too much...!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

CSF wrote: »
    Very expensive, if that's sterling it's more than Juve paid for him in the first place. Not convinced by this signing.

Yeah it seems a bit much alright especially if they actually do sign Fer. I don't see anything much wrong with what they have if they sign Alderweirald :
    Ruddy
    Alderweirald - Turner - Bassong - Olsson
    Fer - Howson
    Pilkington - Hoolahan - Redmond
    Van Wolfswinkel

Sub in Snodgrass/Johnson/Tettey in midfield how you see fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Josip Ilicic on the verge of signing for Fiorentina for a fee of around €10m.

They're certainly going about their business very well indeed, could well push on and get a top three finish next season or even better perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Real Madrid offer €42m for Vidal. Rejected

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

dafaq?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Whatever about the top Premier League teams not making huge waves in the transfer window, the mid-table teams are making some good signings. Shaping up to be a class season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

baz2009 wrote: »
    Whatever about the top Premier League teams not making huge waves in the transfer window, the mid-table teams are making some good signings. Shaping up to be a class season!

If Norwich land who they are linked with then it's gonna be real hard not to be impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Not strictly a transfer but I'm delighted to see that Luke Shaw has committed himself to southampton by signing a 5 year deal on his 18th birthday. A lot of teams were looking to sign him so it is good to see saints keeping a promising homegrown youngster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Quagliarella is a decent enough player, but I think he'll struggle in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Quagliarella is a decent enough player, but I think he'll struggle in the Premier League.

He'll score a few good goals at least :P I've always liked him even if he isn't the most consistent of players he is entertaining which is always a plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

There has been plenty of his type succeed in league, Di Canio and Carbone spring to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Always put him in the scorer of great goals bracket than a great goal scorer. Some really nice goals down the years.

dafaq?

You'll have to use English, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

mitosis wrote: »
    Real Madrid offer €42m for Vidal. Rejected

Source? Can't see it anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

jive wrote: »
    How many left at villa from this pic?

Given -> Doncaster
    Dunne -> ? on the move to ?
    Keane -> LA Galaxy
    Williams -> Bristol City
    Ireland -> ? on the move to ?
    Devine -> Inverness

others are still there I think? I know Stevens started to become a regular in the first team (not sure if this will still be the case after the new signings) and Clark is a regular. Carruthers would probably hope to break through this year, Burke probably hasn't much of a chance at getting game time next year but is still young.

the third on the left is drennan was top scorer in the next gen series but got injured in the quarter final. . . May be going on loan next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Illarramendi unveiled today at the Bernabeu. Wearing the no. 24 shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Nacer Chadli looks like he's going to be moving left out of the squad for his teams friendly today because club and player don't want to risk injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Fer to Norwich a done deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Sky sources: QPR to send Adel Taarabt out on loan

:pac: And he was convinced he was good enough to play for one of "the big 4"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I doubt it's down to his ability.
    I'd say they are hoping someone else will take on his wages in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

And you know he wasn't? Bundles of talent but a **** attitude IMO. I've seen players with less talent than him play for the Top 4

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Lazio interested apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He had a training ground bust up the other day, that loan thing is just a dig from the club I'd say.

I like Taarabt, can't doubt the talent he has, his attitude is the only thing holding him back from being in a top 5 PL team IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

amiable wrote: »
    Don't rate him much myself. Flashy player and capable of some great moments but his end product leaves a lot to be desired for.
    Although he would be one of the top few players in the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

i'd happily take his wages....... :pac:

liverpool are after Shaqiri now, surly they need defenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Taarabt may be the present day Mido in my head. Loads if ability but will never do it.

Lulic, Candreva and Hernanes are miles better than him.
    Sky earlier said Stoke and 2 German sides were interested.

• Advertisement

Benatia has joined Roma from Udinese. Included in this is 2 players valued at €3.5m one of whom is Nicolas Lopez. I'll be interested to see how he does there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He had a training ground bust up the other day, that loan thing is just a dig from the club I'd say.

I like Taarabt, can't doubt the talent he has, his attitude is the only thing holding him back from being in a top 5 PL team IMO.

Bust up? He was sent home from the training camp wasn't he?

swoody wrote: »
    i'd happily take his wages....... :pac:

liverpool are after Shaqiri now, surly they need defenders.

Id be happy to see him in a red jersey, a United red jersey

Porto have paid €5m for 50% of Quintero from Pescara.
    I wonder is it a 3rd party that owns the other half or did Pescara keep that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

And you know he wasn't? Bundles of talent but a **** attitude IMO. I've seen players with less talent than him play for the Top 4

Clichéd imo. He actually tries hard on the pitch, but for whatever reason his natural football ability(of which he has loads) doesn't actually make him that good a footballer when it comes to the pitch. He's not an English League player anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Darren O Dea being made leave Toronto FC. Due to club not being able to afford his wages. He seems gutted looking at his twitter a/c

Rumor has it a Ukrainian Club looking to sign him. Unlucky if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

GTR63 wrote: »
    Porto have paid €5m for 50% of Quintero from Pescara.
    I wonder is it a 3rd party that owns the other half or did Pescara keep that.

Surprised none of the bigger sides were in for him, could easily see Porto making a huge profit in a few years for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Darren O Dea being made leave Toronto FC. Due to club not being able to afford his wages. He seems gutted looking at his twitter a/c

Rumor has it a Ukrainian Club looking to sign him. Unlucky if true

I presume you mean for the Ukrainian club.

titan18 wrote: »
    Surprised none of the bigger sides were in for him, could easily see Porto making a huge profit in a few years for him.

That profit won't be as big if its only 50%. Hope for the players sake its not another dodgy 3rd party.
    Read that Lucas Biglia will be moving to Lazio next week after being touted around europe the last 18 months or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Corholio wrote: »
    I presume you mean for the Ukrainian club.

Any idea who the club is? Rough move for both sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Thiago to Bayern confirmed.

c55f0937dc5cad88a6662af0055a54ed_normal.pngFC Bayern MünchenVerified account ‏@FCBayern

OFFIZIELL: Transfer von Thiago Alcantara (22) von Barcelona zum FCB perfekt! Bayern zahlt für Guardiolas Wunschspieler 20 Mio. ^M.Hörwick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

At least it's done. Hopefully Sergi Roberto can start playing a bit more this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Have a feeling that Thiago is going to be a superstar for Bayern. Guardiola must really rate him considering they are very strong in that area already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Maicon off to Roma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Doubt this will happen but would be amazing with all his "English Media" whinging

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/14/arsenal-luis-suarez-arsene-wenger

Arsène Wenger is determined to test Liverpool's resolve over Luis Suárez with an improved £35m bid. The Arsenal manager has lined up a deal for Real Madrid's Gonzalo Higuaín, with the Argentina striker having agreed personal terms in principle on a move to the Emirates Stadium. But the delay in signing Higuaín has come as Wenger explores the possibility of pulling off a coup by landing Suárez.

Arsenal have been in contact with Liverpool to indicate a readiness to pay £30m for the Uruguayan only to be told that the figure was too low. Only something much closer to £40m may make Liverpool reconsider, even though they will fight to keep their star player. Wenger is keen to give them a decision to make and Manchester City have also expressed an interest.

The striker has issued several messages about his future via the Uruguayan media and, in spite of his affection for Liverpool, he has reached a stage in his career where he wants to play in the Champions League. His willingness to entertain the notion of a transfer to another Premier League club has been surprising, given his insistence that he has been victimised by the mediain this country.

Wenger has also checked on the possibility of signing Wayne Rooney and, on Friday, upon his arrival in Indonesia for the first leg of Arsenal's pre-season tour, he described the Manchester United forward, Suárez and Higuaín as "realistic targets quality-wise". He has been extremely reluctant, though, to disclose any further details for fear of jeopardising a deal.

Wenger is under pressure as never before to spend lavishly and break Arsenal's transfer record that remains the £15m that he parted with for Andrey Arshavin in 2009, with the chief executive, Ivan Gazidis, having said that the club are ready to "compete with any club in the world" for the biggest names on the market. The escalation in their financial firepower has come from renegotiated sponsorship deals.

Wenger has spoken about being "out of the race for the top-level transfers for years but we are coming back now", although he retains an element of discomfort about the eye-watering fees being discussed. He says that his core principals will not change, in terms of his work ethic, style and desire to develop players. "If you look closely, it looks to me that there are very high transfers now," Wenger said. "There is a dual speed now. A very high level or no level at all. That's a big, worrying truth. Until now [this summer] you had £40m, £50m, £60m [fees] or nothing at all. It's been under £10m or around the big numbers. I don't think that's very healthy."

Madrid have ordered Higuaín to train with them on Monday , when they begin their preparations for the season, and they have stressed that he remains their player. But there is confidence at Arsenal that they have the means to close the deal for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Have a feeling that Thiago is going to be a superstar for Bayern. Guardiola must really rate him considering they are very strong in that area already.

Very possibly. Barca f**ked up big time letting his release clause drop so much.
    Pep definitely rates him highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Looking like Gino Peruzzi and Emanuele Giaccherini in for Sunderland this coming week, along with Greece's 19 year old winger Mavrias from Panathinaikos. Tom Huddlestone is expected to be another one who joins over the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Paully D wrote: »
    Looking like Gino Peruzzi and Emanuele Giaccherini in for Sunderland this coming week, along with Greece's 19 year old winger Mavrias from Panathinaikos. Tom Huddlestone is expected to be another one who joins over the next couple of weeks.

Di Canio is taking a pretty big risk with this overhaul bringing over all these players I think.
    This big of a turnaround in players could take a while to gel, and is more likely to fail than succeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Junior D wrote: »
    Di Canio is taking a pretty big risk with this overhaul bringing over all these players I think.
    This big of a turnaround in players could take a while to gel, and is more likely to fail than succeed.

It is risky but previous efforts haven't worked at all and we were extremely, extremely lucky not to get relegated last year, so I'm all for trying this approach.

If it fails it fails, but without a big turnaround we were going down this coming season without a doubt, so at least the board have given it a go if the worst happens. It would have been far more risky not to make big changes to the squad.

In fairness our new player recruitment team is also targeting young, hungry players with something to prove who have quality. Peruzzi is a gem according to South American media, Cabral has a large amount of European experience, Giaccherini is a huge statement of intent from a club like us (and who our last manager wouldn't have even heard of), Altidore is only 23 but has a record of better than 1 in 2 over the last couple of season with Alkmaar etc.

Of course it may take a while for them to gel, but the standard of player coming in is good and in some cases top notch for us.
    Westwood/Mannone

Peruzzi O'Shea Diakite New LB (Oczipka?)

Huddlestone Cabral

Johnson
    Giaccherini

Altidore Fletcher

We'll probably end up with something like the above by the end of the transfer window. Biggest ommision there would be Sessegnon who unfortunately I think will be sold (decent potential transfer fee in and wage too big to not be in the first team every week and with us playing 4-4-2 it seems unlikely he will be as he can't play on the wing or as an out and out striker).

It's an exciting line up on paper. Yeah it could all go tits up, but **** it, at least we're giving it a go. After years of bland, turgid, boring **** week in week out and us surviving by a skid mark last year, I'll be glad of a bit of unpredictability.

Jernal wrote: »
    Very possibly. Barca f**ked up big time letting his release clause drop so much.
    Pep definitely rates him highly.

Pep has rated many players highly

Going so far as to say Chygrynskiy would be vital to Barca, he spent a fair chunk of cash at that club and his signings overall wouldn't be the best tbf, in terms of value or overall contribution. In his, what 4 years was it? Barca spent in excess of 330million euro

I wouldn't get too excited by Pep rating a player really, but the confidence Thiago is showing by going to Munich is pretty good. Good luck to him there, cant see it being that much easier to break into and stay in then the Barca midfield!

• Advertisement
Advertisement