Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I suppose it is possible with Rooney's massive wages that the offers will come in lower than we might expect.

I think Rooney would be a fantastic signing but if they have to pay £200,000 a week in wages I could see why they might not want to pay £30m+ for the transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Morzadec wrote: »
    I suppose it is possible with Rooney's massive wages that the offers will come in lower than we might expect.

I think Rooney would be a fantastic signing but if they have to pay £200,000 a week in wages I could see why they might not want to pay £30m+ for the transfer.

Agreed, he would be a great signing for them, but Rooney regardless is worth nowhere near £30m+. One huge factor is his wages, as you have mentioned.

You can liken that situation to how much Adebayor to Tottenham deal went. He was worth alot more than the £5m settled on, but given all the circumsatances surrounding it, it was still realistic.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

RMC say Hulk has agreed personal terms with Monaco ahead of a €60m move...

Agreed, he would be a great signing for them, but Rooney regardless is worth nowhere near £30m+. One huge factor is his wages, as you have mentioned.

You can liken that situation to how much Adebayor to Tottenham deal went. He was worth alot more than the £5m settled on, but given all the circumsatances surrounding it, it was still realistic.

I'm not sure if I'd agree with you. If he was on 'normal' wages (lets say £100,000 a week) I think he'd easily be worth £30m. £35m would be a fair enough price.

This is a player who has been one of the best striker's in the league for the last 8 years or so.

He showed in 09/10 and in 11/12 that if he stays fit and is the main man he'll score at a hugely impressive rate.

Even if he has a 'poor' season he'll still score you around 15 league goals and is incredibly useful for his versatility and contributed quite a lot in general play.

I'm surprised how eager most United fans are to be rid of him. I know they have RVP but Rooney is still very good.

Chelsea could be class with him. For me he's a big big upgrade on the CF's they have at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

So much for Monaco saying their business was done unless a great opportunity came up. Never thought Zenit would make a profit on the £50 million they paid for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

They are making some impressive buys. One or 2 more defensive options and they will be very strong.

Jesus we're definitely going to have another big European derby to watch next year - PSG vs Monaco should be great to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Insanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I'm not sure if I'd agree with you. If he was on 'normal' wages (lets say £100,000 a week) I think he'd easily be worth £30m. £35m would be a fair enough price.

This is a player who has been one of the best striker's in the league for the last 8 years or so.

He showed in 09/10 and in 11/12 that if he stays fit and is the main man he'll score at a hugely impressive rate.

Even if he has a 'poor' season he'll still score you around 15 league goals and is incredibly useful for his versatility and contributed quite a lot in general play.

I'm surprised how eager most United fans are to be rid of him. I know they have RVP but Rooney is still very good.

Chelsea could be class with him. For me he's a big big upgrade on the CF's they have at the moment.

Maybe that's something to do with his second transfer request.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

They just want to buy all Porto and ex porto players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Jesus we're definitely going to have another big European derby to watch next year - PSG vs Monaco should be great to watch

European football in general is gearing up to be fascinating this season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Pity the FFP isn't going to do sh*t because I'd love to see Monaco get stung when they reach Europe, along with the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Insanity!

Agreed how Hulk keeps earning big money moves is beyond me anytime I've seen him pay he has been terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Oat23 wrote: »
    Pity the FFP isn't going to do sh*t because I'd love to see Monaco get stung when they reach Europe, along with the others.

UEFA couldn't give a fcuk about FFP. When City and Chelsea were at it Platini was calling for them to be punished but as soon as it happens in his own back yard he couldn't give a toss anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You can't use Monaco and FFP in the same sentence...THEY AREN'T COMPETING IN A EUROPEAN COMPETITION.

They don't have to worry about that for at least another season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Dempsey wrote: »
    They are making some impressive buys. .....

And Hulk isnt one of those signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

AdamD wrote: »
    You can't use Monaco and FFP in the same sentence...THEY AREN'T COMPETING IN A EUROPEAN COMPETITION.

They don't have to worry about that for at least another season

when they reach Europe
    when they reach Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

inforfun wrote: »
    And Hulk isnt one of those signings.

When you have the resources Monaco have, the cost is irrelevant. He's a big improvement on what they have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Hulk has done a pretty impressive job masquerading as a footballer has to be said.

He seems to have everyone fooled. 60m is just utter insanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Not sure why it's a pity. If Monaco's owners want to bring money into the game then they shouldn't be punished for doing so. Only in the insanity/corruption of football would outside investment be perceived to be a bad thing.

Had the usual cartel of established clubs not engineered a situation whereby it was impossible for any club not bankrolled by a billionaire to actually compete then maybe you'd have a point.

So, eh, transfers! Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Agreed on all counts. Lukaku could be a beast but for the near future getting Rooney would make Chelsea are far bigger attacking threat.

United fans seem to have been grossly offended by him wanting to leave and I think this has clouded their judgement on how good he actually is. Most English players are vastly overrated whereas Rooney is actually the real deal. The only saving grace for United will be that they have Kagawa who has played a similar role as Rooney has recently and he could well turn out to be a top player (not dissing him either, I know he's good already but I mean amongst some of the best in the world in that position). United will miss Rooney if he goes and I'm still not convinced they'll even let him go for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

James Rodriguez - €45,000,000
    Hulk - €60,000,000
    Asier Illarramendi - €32,200,000
    Fernandinho - €34,700,000

There's 4 transfers off of the top of my head that are ridiculously overpriced. More to follow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Whatever about Luiz going, I suppose he divides opinion, why the hell would Jose considering letting Mata go.
    Call it media BS but it's been going for a while.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Negredo to Man City by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

GTR63 wrote: »

De Laurentiis said they got €120m to spend in the market they have brought in Maertens, Rafael Cabral, Callejon and maybe Albiol so they have plenty of money left.

For every rumour here about Higuain or Damiao, there are unfortunately slightly stronger noises about bringing in someone like Gilardino. Today there was even a story about Quagliarelle returning but that was dismissed by Bigon. DeLaurentis is keen on buying the stadium off the local government and I honestly would not be surprised to see him bank the profits from the Cavani sale. With Higuain there is a not only a disagreement on the fee, but also image rights which DeLaurentis likes to have pretty much total control over. I would love to see Higuain arrive but I just don't see it. Hope I am wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

James Rodriguez - €45,000,000
    Hulk - €60,000,000
    Asier Illarramendi - €32,200,000
    Fernandinho - €34,700,000

There's 4 transfers off of the top of my head that are ridiculously overpriced. More to follow...

Fernandinho definitely didn't cost that much, his fee has been hugely overblown in the papers. 22mil GBP I believe flat fee, with some add ons to potentially come.

niallo24 wrote: »
    Fernandinho definitely didn't cost that much, his fee has been hugely overblown in the papers. 22mil GBP I believe flat fee, with some add ons to potentially come.

I think it was a lot closer to £28m than £22m? And add ons still count as increasing the fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

There is a serious problem when Hulk goes for that much. **** me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Even from watching the Confed Cup, it's clear Hulk really is an average football player. If he had a brain he'd be dangerous, but it's clear his football brain is non existent. So many times his pace gets him in a decent position and he fluffs it. He'd be more suited in UFC or something.

He's played just 13 games at Zenit, scored 4 goals, and they're selling him for a 10m profit? Ridiculous

I'd imagine there's more to the Hulk transfer than meets the eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

He's a good striker.I don't get why he's played out wide all the time,Does ****all out there.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

RWAappX.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Macion confirmed to Roma, that's another £100,000 off the wage bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Negredo set to have a medical at City apparently

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23346385

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Sky Sports understands West Brom rejected a bid of 850,000 from Dubai club Al Nasr for Peter Odemwingie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Odemwingle is said to be in tears at the airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

This is already a mental summer

http://www.actusports.fr/67766/la-reponse-choc-de-nasser-al-khelaifi-a-linteret-du-barca-pour-thiago-silva/
    If Barca march Thiago's buyout clause, then I will match Messi's

Its never gonna happen but at least it livens things up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

joe316 wrote: »
    This is already a mental summer

http://www.actusports.fr/67766/la-reponse-choc-de-nasser-al-khelaifi-a-linteret-du-barca-pour-thiago-silva/

Its never gonna happen but at least it livens things up

They do have the money but I cant see Messi leaving Barca for another couple of years, if even that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

GavRedKing wrote: »
    They do have the money but I cant see Messi leaving Barca for another couple of years, if even that.

They might the money to match the release clause. But surely they don't have the funds to match both that and Messi's wages? :eek:
    Either way, I can't see him leaving Barca this summer anyway. Who knows though how things will go with Neymar? And how his form will be injury wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Jernal wrote: »
    They might the money to match the release clause. But surely they don't have the funds to match both that and Messi's wages? :eek:

Of course they do - it would be chump change to them, they'd make that money in interest on their assets in a day.

Money is, really is, no object to them.

• Advertisement

Read on Twitter that Christian Eriksen has supposedly agreed a 4 year deal with Milan pending a €16m move which Milan will fund with the sale of Kevin Prince Boateng.

Makes sense but it's a long way from a done deal

From Tiwtter :
    AS Understands that Chelsea have made an offer to Real Madrid for Higuain, with striker admitting " Mou wants me there "

Would be a great signing but I'd be very surprised if it went ahead.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    From Tiwtter :

Would be a great signing but I'd be very surprised if it went ahead.

Why out of interest?

Makes a lot of sense to me.

Chelsea in need of a striker. Madrid perhaps pricing him out of a move to Arsenal if reports that they want 37m euro are to be believed and that transfer generally seeming to run cold. United perhaps staunchly refusing to sell Rooney to a rival.

It would seem a logical enough move for Chelsea to take an interest in Higuian imo

Why out of interest?

Chelsea in need of a striker. Madrid perhaps pricing him out of a move to Arsenal if reports that they want 37m euro are to be believed and that transfer generally seeming to run cold. United perhaps staunchly refusing to sell Rooney to a rival.

It would seem a logical enough move for Chelsea to take an interest in Higuian imo

I would assume if Jose wanted Higuain he would have went and got him early in the window and not wait until now.

I wouldnt complain, hes a fantastic player and would really add to the squad but I think after Cavani and Rooney bids its just surprising that no bid was made for Higuain until now, if Jose said to the board, I believe in Higuain and want him he would have been signed up by now.

As you said the refusal of Utd to shift Rooney and with PSG snapping up Cavani we could be exploring other options at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

If Mourinho rated Higuain that highly then why did he so under-utilise him the last couple of years?

It's a weird one.

Would still be a big improvement on Ba/Torres but he's not worth over €30m given his circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Someone asked Mourinho yesterday at presser if they were in for Higuain and he said that they wont be signing him...pretty sure it was Higuain anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_SfgQVPRPw .....at about 3:18 pretty sure someone asks mour if they have bid for Higuain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Why out of interest?

If that's the case the 3 main striker's in Torres,Lukaku and *insert name here* are going to give Mourinho a massive headache this season.Ba would be sold then too of course.It'd be a major job keeping those striker's happy,Especially with only one position in the team to fight for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Someone asked Mourinho yesterday at presser if they were in for Higuain and he said that they wont be signing him...pretty sure it was Higuain anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_SfgQVPRPw .....at about 3:18 pretty sure someone asks mour if they have bid for Higuain.

He said yesterday Rooney is the only player they've bid for, and the only player they'll be bidding for before the window closes. Though whether that's true or not is another matter

• Advertisement

Would still be a big improvement on Ba/Torres but he's not worth over €30m given his circumstances

Meh, any improvement would be marginal, if any, on the strikers they already have. He wasn't exactly Mou's go to man at Madrid either so I doubt there's any truth in it.

Advertisement