Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

mike65 wrote: »
    Napoli for the CL might worth a cheeky punt!

Defence is still a bit of a problem position for Napoli though. Losing Campagnaro was a kick in the teeth and I don't see Reina as an upgrade on DeSanctis. Maybe Fernandez can come good or Albiol will turn out to be a solid acquisition. The team really needs a solid dependable defensive leader. Although Cannavarro is captain and local boy he really is not the type of defender who inspires confidence in those around him. Prone to a clanger or two is Paolo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

population wrote: »
    Defence is still a bit of a problem position for Napoli though. Losing Campagnaro was a kick in the teeth and I don't see Reina as an upgrade on DeSanctis. Maybe Fernandez can come good or Albiol will turn out to be a solid acquisition. The team really needs a solid dependable defensive leader. Although Cannavarro is captain and local boy he really is not the type of defender who inspires confidence in those around him. Prone to a clanger or two is Paolo.

They have also signed Raul Abiol from Real Madrid I think or another club.

Juventus, Napoli, Milan, Roma and Fiorentina all have much stronger squads than they started last season with. Should be an interesting year!

Do you really think the Milan squad is stronger than last year? Just curious to hear it from a Milan fan's perspective.

They have also signed Raul Abiol from Real Madrid I think or another club.

Yup. I mentioned him above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Juventus, Napoli, Milan, Roma and Fiorentina all have much stronger squads than they started last season with. Should be an interesting year!

Fiorentina continue their shrewd transfer business. Getting Gomez was great business considering they aren`t in the much ballyhooed Champ League, lets just hope he suits their style of play(Just stand up in the box Mario & kick the ball when Cuadrado, Valero or Ljajic give it to you :D).
    Inter are stronger too I am hoping the rumoured investment comes in September and for their sake if Leonardo goes back he learns how to negotiate again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Do you really think the Milan squad is stronger than last year? Just curious to hear it from a Milan fan's perspective.

Fair question and I can see why other people would think we haven't improved at all! I would have to admit that we would be the least improved side out of the 5 I mentioned but I'd feel we're definitely stronger than when they started last season.

Balotelli is a big improvement in the attacking department and El Shaarawy has proven himself more than capable whereas at the start of 12/13 Pato and Robinho were our main attackers. Pazzini has also proven he can do a job for us with 15 league goals (mostly from the bench)

Montolivo has exceeded my expectations and Poli is a good addition to the side as well. De Jong is also back after missing nearly all of last season.

The defence is still a worry but I'm more optimistic about the squad entering this season than I was last season after the sale of Ibra, Thiago Silva and Cassano.

The addition of Honda and/or Eriksen would really boost things (don't seem to be linked with a CB) but then again, the standard of the other teams looks to have improved as well.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Fiorentina continue their shrewd transfer business. Getting Gomez was great business considering they aren`t in the much ballyhooed Champ League, lets just hope he suits their style of play(Just stand up in the box Mario & kick the ball when Cuadrado, Valero or Ljajic give it to you :D).
    Inter are stronger too I am hoping the rumoured investment comes in September and for their sake if Leonardo goes back he learns how to negotiate again.

They also have G.Rossi fit :eek:

Gomez could be a good shout for top scorer although so could Balotelli, Higuain (if he signs) and the much loved Di Natale :p

Yeah Mazzari will make Inter better himself without having signed anyone. Wouldn't be hard to improve them though I suppose :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Bit of smoke today on Aly Cissoko joining Liverpool on loan with an option to buy.

Fair question and I can see why other people would think we haven't improved at all! I would have to admit that we would be the least improved side out of the 5 I mentioned but I'd feel we're definitely stronger than when they started last season.

Balotelli is a big improvement in the attacking department and El Shaarawy has proven himself more than capable whereas at the start of 12/13 Pato and Robinho were our main attackers. Pazzini has also proven he can do a job for us with 15 league goals (mostly from the bench)

Montolivo has exceeded my expectations and Poli is a good addition to the side as well. De Jong is also back after missing nearly all of last season.

The defence is still a worry but I'm more optimistic about the squad entering this season than I was last season after the sale of Ibra, Thiago Silva and Cassano.

The addition of Honda and/or Eriksen would really boost things (don't seem to be linked with a CB) but then again, the standard of the other teams looks to have improved as well.

Ah I see you were talking about the pre season stage. Completely agree they look in better shape compared to that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Top teams in the Premier League are getting mixed up too, stronger maybe but with new managers. Everything all set up to be very interesting, very difficult to predict where everyone will finish.

Then you look at La Liga where the big 2 have strengthened big again and the trailers (Atleti, Real Sociedad, Valencia, Sevilla, Malaga) have all got weaker.

In essence you only really have 2 massive games a year as far as deciding the title is concerned. In England and Italy you could have one every couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

The managerial changes at Barca and Real Madrid could make La Liga interesting for a while.

Ah I see you were talking about the pre season stage. Completely agree they look in better shape compared to that period.

My bad, should have made that more clear!

In terms of the squad that finished last season and the squad now there's not that much to talk about

Out: Ambrosini, Flamini and some deadwood.
    In: Poli, Saponara, Vergara and then De Jong is back too but that's about it.

Juventus sound to be more focused on the CL than the Scudetto so that could be a plus for the others.
    Morzadec wrote: »
    Top teams in the Premier League are getting mixed up too, stronger maybe but with new managers. Everything all set up to be very interesting, very difficult to predict where everyone will finish.

Then you look at La Liga where the big 2 have strengthened big again and the trailers (Atleti, Real Sociedad, Valencia, Sevilla, Malaga) have all got weaker.

In essence you only really have 2 massive games a year as far as deciding the title is concerned. In England and Italy you could have one every couple of weeks.

Agreed! City and Chelsea have particularly improved and Spurs have done some tidy business. I think United and Arsenal would definitely be lacking if the season started tomorrow but I'd expect them both to do some business before September 1st.

Pity Falcao left Atletico. They could have made a good push this season with him and maybe one or two signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hiddink has resigned from anzhi, i imagine he was on a huge contract so to gove that up there must be a very lucrative job on offer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Errr.. hmm... eek...

Not sure how I feel if Hiddink comes to Barca.

Down from 66/1 to 1/4 in a matter of hours to be the next manager. Somebody will have made a tasty profit if it goes through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Down from 66/1 to 1/4 in a matter of hours to be the next manager. Somebody will have made a tasty profit if it goes through

Haven't seen a thing from a Barcelona related source that they're even considering Hiddink, never mind on the verge of appointing him.

Might be worth a lay, trading at 1.65 on BF.

Blatter wrote: »
    Haven't seen a thing from a Barcelona related source that they're even considering Hiddink, never mind on the verge of appointing him.

Might be worth a lay, trading at 1.65 on BF.

It is all speculation at the minute yeah. Don't think there's any value in laying it at that price though. Who are the supposed contenders for the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I think Barca would want to recruit someone unknown or from their own ranks just like they did with Tito.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It is all speculation at the minute yeah. Don't think there's any value in laying it at that price though. Who are the supposed contenders for the job?

Martino and Luis Enrique.

I've seen plenty of Barca related sources mention Martino in particular, he's meant to be having a video conference with Barca reps today. Have heard nothing on Hiddink, who would be an odd choice given his style and age.

• Advertisement

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Bit of smoke today on Aly Cissoko joining Liverpool on loan with an option to buy.
    But will he pass the dental part of his medical ???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

But will he pass the dental part of his medical ???

Hello Clare Balding

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Hidalgo wrote: »

I am totally baffled by this. Cissokho is an excellent left back and Valencia just splashed out on him last summer. Not happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Some stuff coming out about Falcao lying about his age. Apparently some school records show he is 29 and not 27 that he has on record.

Word that Spurs are very close to agreeing a fee for Roberto Soldado- believed to be around 30 million.

elefant wrote: »
    Word that Spurs are very close to agreeing a fee for Roberto Soldado- believed to be around 30 million.

:eek: in €€€ Surely. I think Madrid need to put in sell on clauses with their cast offs at this stage

• Advertisement

:eek: in €€€ Surely. I think Madrid need to put in sell on clauses with their cast offs at this stage

Oh yeah, sorry, euro :p

If Higuain is going for 35 million, 30 for Soldado is good deal. Has more than a goal every second game for Valencia- not exactly the most free-scoring team either.

Hopefully someone can do the same as Soldado did when Villa left because Goldado will leave big boots to fill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

He didnt move from Madrid to Valencia. They would be a % of the €10m paid to Getafe

lol at wiki

'Tottenham Hotspur===
    In July 2013, Soldado joined Tottenham Hotspur for a club record €26m. He is yet to make his debut, but will hopefully be scoring againts the Gooners soon! #COYS'

He didnt move from Madrid to Valencia. They would be a % of the €10m paid to Getafe

I know but if him and Negredo get sold for a combined €60m they`d want to add a paragraph or so into the new contracts now.

Soldado is a great signing for Spurs. I think he'll suit the Premier League quite well.

If Stoke think he's just another wimpy Spaniard that they can push around the place they're in for a fairly sharp shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

carlop wrote: »
    Soldado is a great signing for Spurs. I think he'll suit the Premier League quite well.

If Stoke think he's just another wimpy Spaniard that they can push around the place they're in for a fairly sharp shock.

They signed muniesa soooooo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

carlop wrote: »

I think with big Mark in charge, Stoke will quickly become the Barcelona off the league.
    Finally see Peter Crouch in the false 10 it will be magic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I would think it is very open to change re soldado as literally any champions league club could come in and he'd be mad not to go to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hiddink resigns at Anzhi Makhachkala. Barcelona bound?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23411365

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

DenMan wrote: »
    Hiddink resigns at Anzhi Makhachkala. Barcelona bound?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23411365

Barca appointed their new manager last night: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/22/barcelona-gerardo-martino

Not confirmed by the club yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

miralize wrote: »

Looks like it has just been confirmed there.

EDIT: here is the tweet:

FC Barcelona ‏@FCBarcelona 2m
    Gerardo Martino, new coach of @FCBarcelona #fcblive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

miralize wrote: »

Has now .

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Looks like it has just been confirmed there.

EDIT: here is the tweet:

FC Barcelona ‏@FCBarcelona 2m

:pac:

BP2X66JCIAIihwm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :pac:

BP2X66JCIAIihwm.jpg

better negotiating skills than woodward!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

strange appointment for Barca, Paraguay played awful boring stuff under him and Newell's the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Very strange appointment.

If he's a student of Biesla's footballing philosophy I wouldn't be too confident of a great season for Barca. His teams are notorious for suffering burnout.

I'd have gone for Hiddink myself.

Happy with the appointment, hopefully he gets our team back to pressing effectively.

What odds would you have got two years ago on predicting the next three people to take charge of the first team being Villanova, Roura and Tata Martino??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I don't know much about him, all I remember is his Paraguay side were very well organised and functional. That being said apparently the pressing game is important to him, if he can bring aggressive pressing back to Barcelona then this can only be a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I don't know much about him, all I remember is his Paraguay side were very well organised and functional. That being said apparently the pressing game is important to him, if he can bring aggressive pressing back to Barcelona then this can only be a success.
    Barca will have to buy a quick CB or they will be badly exposed on the counter again this season

You can't press effectively if most of your team is exhausted and burnt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

MD1990 wrote: »
    Barca will have to buy a quick CB or they will be badly exposed on the counter again this season

Ye a centre back is surely a priority. That being said having Mascherano and Puyol back are big additions.

I'm gonna guess Hiddink may end up in Monaco, I am suprised Ranieri is still there tbh.

• Advertisement

Ye a centre back is surely a priority. That being said having Mascherano and Puyol back are big additions.

Why on earth they passed up Thiago Silva is beyond me. They could have gotten him at any point in the last 2-3 years. Perfect for Barca imo

Advertisement