Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Alexis promised much and hasnt really delivered at Barca, if a team could pick him up for a decent price he could be a real assest for a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Alexis promised much and hasnt really delivered at Barca, if a team could pick him up for a decent price he could be a real assest for a team.

A lot of us in the United thread were chomping at the bit to get him during the World Cup for Chile.

They paid €26 million for him, you'd assume they'd have to sell for a loss as he's under performed. He's still only 24 with 52 league games played for Barca, 19 goals and 14 assists too. Not a bad return for what has been dubbed a poor time for the Catalans.

He's definitely worth a go for below his original price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Keno 92 wrote: »
    A lot of us in the United thread were chomping at the bit to get him during the World Cup for Chile.

They paid €26 million for him, you'd assume they'd have to sell for a loss as he's under performed. He's still only 24 with 52 league games played for Barca, 19 goals and 14 assists too. Not a bad return for what has been dubbed a poor time for the Catalans.

He's definitely worth a go for below his original price tag.

We were the same over in the Chelsea thread, although we've too many options on the flanks right now so I cant see us going for him.

If Barca sold for around e20Million theyed be doing very well, anything more and they're laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

zerks wrote: »
    Reports from Spain suggesting Barca will listen to offers of €25 million for Thiago
    I will listen to offers of €1 million for the bit of chewing gum I just scrapped off my shoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

I will listen to offers of €1 million for the bit of chewing gum I just scrapped off my shoe.

I'll give you 10 quid plus Andy carroll :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Atletico dont own Falcao.

Doyen investments do and they want to be paid.

Long read

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1e8ncw/explaining_the_falcao_move_to_monaco/

Great article. The EU are looking into it for a while now, UEFA are just about keeping the EU law makers out of it, for now, but seems inevitable the EU (if not UEFA first) will ban the practice in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

He's a hugely talented player. I'd be surprised if Barcelona sell him. A graduate of La Masia, technically proficient and with a bit of dynamism too.

In a world where Henderson is worth £18 million, Thiago would be worth every cent of the 25 million Euro and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Well if he's a graduate of La Masia, that makes him a 50m player already. Sure every single player who's ever come out of that academy has been world class haven't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

He's a hugely talented player. I'd be surprised if Barcelona sell him. A graduate of La Masia, technically proficient and with a bit of dynamism too.

In a world where Henderson is worth £18 million, Thiago would be worth every cent of the 25 million Euro and more.

Every post you create brightens my day but lessens my existence....:)

Liam O wrote: »
    Well if he's a graduate of La Masia, that makes him a 50m player already. Sure every single player who's ever come out of that academy has been world class haven't they?

Not every player has been tipped as the long term replacement to Xavi Hernandez. Not every La Masia graduate has earned the amount of first team appearances for Barcelona as Thiago has. Anyone who has seen him play knows his quality.

Downing £19 million. Henderson £18 million. Wasn't Anderson something like £18 million? There's no way you can tell me those players are worth that money and Thiago Alcantara, a fully fledged Spanish international no less, isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I'd use the word patient rather than graduate. ;)

Not every player has been tipped as the long term replacement to Xavi Hernandez. Not every La Masia graduate has earned the amount of first team appearances for Barcelona as Thiago has. Anyone who has seen him play knows his quality.

Downing £19 million. Henderson £18 million. Wasn't Anderson something like £18 million? There's no way you can tell me those players are worth that money and Thiago Alcantara, a fully fledged Spanish international no less, isn't.

And here was me thinking fabregas was the heir to the throne of Xavi....

What other clubs and idiotic fees teams pay for players shouldn't be the norm for someone coming through.

I can think of hundreds of other example to counter yours that show players being bought for real value after they've showed significantly more worth than thiago.

1st one that springs to mind is Kagawa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Just like Giovani Dos Santos was the next Ronaldinho and Bojan was the next Messi - right?

As for the fees paid for Henderson and Downing - two wrongs don't make a right.

No. I have to ask, do you watch Barcelona? This season and last season Fabregas has proven himself to be an inadequate replacement for Xavi. Replacing Xavi was never going to be easy, IMO he is the greatest midfielder of his generation, but Thiago is a much more likely candidate than Fabregas. This is something that can be regularly observed when either of them play in that role, it's also something that has been discussed quite a bit on Sky's coverage of La Liga and written about by journalists.

Just like Giovani Dos Santos was the next Ronaldinho and Bojan was the next Messi - right?

As for the fees paid for Henderson and Downing - two wrongs don't make a right.

And yet Giovanni and Bojan were let go (I was never high on either btw) but Thiago is very much the real deal.

Young, with a good amount of experience in the Barcelona first team, a star at underage level for Spain, a future lynchpin of the Barcelona midfield. That we are even discussing this is crazy. If Thiago isn't worth 25 million Euro then somebody has moved the goalposts quite significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Thiago probably won't turn out to be Xavi's replacement, but he is a seriously talented player.

PSG or Monaco could do worse than fork out 25m for him. He's probably not worth it right now, but money is clearly not an issue for them and they could be getting themselves a top class midfielder for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Can i just ask if you were born in Barcelona or live their? Your posts come across as somebody brainwashed to promote La Masia in nearly every post.

What other clubs and idiotic fees teams pay for players shouldn't be the norm for someone coming through.

I can think of hundreds of other example to counter yours that show players being bought for real value after they've showed significantly more worth than thiago.

1st one that springs to mind is Kagawa.

Kagawa is a lame example because of his contractual situation and because he desperately wanted to move to Man Utd.

Barcelona are not Dortmund, they are not a selling club. While Dortmund to Man Utd might be seen as a step up for a player, there is no step up from Barcelona, again this influenced a players desire to leave or stay. Thiago has come through the academy of Barcelona too.

The circumstances are very different.

carlop wrote: »
    Thiago probably won't turn out to be Xavi's replacement, but he is a seriously talented player.

PSG or Monaco could do worse than fork out 25m for him. He's probably not worth it right now, but money is clearly not an issue for them and they could be getting themselves a top class midfielder for years to come.

Replacing Xavi is a near impossible task but Thiago is a good solution. He understands the role, his positioning is good, he is an incredible talent, more dynamic than Xavi but prone to the ocassional lapse in concentration but that can be ironed out of his game, he is still young.

A lot of clubs could do a lot worse than Thiago. I'd be delighted if Chelsra were to sign him for example.
    I think a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

there is no step up from Barcelona,

Bayern... Well Pep thought so :pac:

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Can i just ask if you were born in Barcelona or live their? Your posts come across as somebody brainwashed to promote La Masia in nearly every post.

No and no. I am simply a strong believer in Barcelona. Their philosophy, their belief in the youth system, the principled they instill in their young players, the way they represent the club and play the game, I believe that the Barca way is the right way and so much of that way of playing is developed and honed at the factory of dreams, La Masia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

No and no. I am simply a strong believer in Barcelona. Their philosophy, their belief in the youth system, the principled they instill in their young players, the way they represent the club and play the game, I believe that the Barca way is the right way and so much of that way of playing is developed and honed at the factory of dreams, La Masia.

No i am just wondering because i could have sworn you were a Chelsea fan.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    No i am just wondering because i could have sworn you were a Chelsea fan.

Chelsea are my English team and boyhood club.

However I fear that this discussion has varied wildly off topic. From discussing the price of Thiago, to La Masia and now to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Chelsea are my English team and boyhood club.

Hi Robbie

/waves

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Hi Robbie

/waves

I'm sorry, I'm usually pretty sharp but I honestly didn't get the joke there.

Hi Robbie

/waves

Wait, Robbie Keane, sorry it took me a few moments. When I understood it I did laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,659 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

zerks wrote: »
    Reports from Spain suggesting Barca will listen to offers of €25 million for Thiago,Barcelona are looking to free up cash to sign Neymar and other defensive recruits, by selling of David Villa, Victor Valdes and Alexis Sanchez and Thiago.

There is rumours that Iniesta is unhappy and wants away as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Why would Barca have to sell to raise the cash? I thought they were loaded...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    There is rumours that Iniesta is unhappy and wants away as well

If Iniesta leaves I'll sell my cat.

Now, I don't exactly own a cat per se, but if I did, I would be more than happy to sell it if I was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

carlop wrote: »

PSG don't need him, they have Verratti who is both younger and better.

Seaneh wrote: »
    PSG don't need him, they have Verratti who is both younger and better.

Different kind of players and you could argue that Thiago has done more in the game at this point.

If you excuse the incorrect info about the release clause figure then this is kind of exciting -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/10060566/Manchester-City-ready-to-sign-Isco-from-Malaga-as-Manuel-Pellegrini-edges-closer-to-Etihad-Stadium-hot-seat.html
    Manchester City ready to sign Isco from Malaga as Manuel Pellegrini edges closer to Etihad Stadium hot seat

Manchester City are aiming to complete a £17  million deal for Malaga winger Isco after moving closer to securing Manuel Pellegrini as successor to the sacked Roberto Mancini at the Etihad Stadium.

Although Malaga would not officially confirm reports in Spain on Wednesday that their 59-year-old coach would be free to leave the club following the last game of the season, at Barcelona on June 1, it is understood that the Chilean will not be held to his contract this summer.

With Malaga facing financial difficulties, the Champions League quarter-finalists will reluctantly sanction the sale of Isco, who was revealed as a Manchester City target by Telegraph Sport last November, to any club that triggers the £17  million escape clause in the 21-year-old’s contract.

City sporting director Txiki Begiristain has identified Isco as a target having watched the player in recent weeks, but having earned his first full Spain cap against Uruguay in February the youngster is also attracting the attention of Real Madrid.

Pellegrini’s impending move to Manchester City – the club are hopeful of an agreement being finalised at the beginning of June – is expected to boost the club’s prospects of winning the race for Isco, however.

City, meanwhile, will announce plans on Thursday to increase the capacity of the Etihad Stadium by 6,000 seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Would he not be too similar to Silva and Nasri?
    Different kind of players and you could argue that Thiago has done more in the game at this point.
    Well you could probably argue that.

Quicker than both by all accounts, which is something we've lacked badly over the last two seasons.

Plus he may be seen as a Nasri replacement which is fine by me.

Well you could probably argue that.

I could and would argue it.

Just on Isco, having seen him play a lot for Malaga this season, the senior Spanish side and at the Olympics with Spain he's thought of as more of an Iniesta than a Xavi in Spain, that being more of a dribbler, good eye for the killer pass and has a goal in him too. He has a decent burst of acceleration, I wouldn't say he is majorly quicker than Nasri though.

• Advertisement

I could and would argue it.

Just on Isco, having seen him play a lot for Malaga this season, the senior Spanish side and at the Olympics with Spain he's thought of as more of an Iniesta than a Xavi in Spain, that being more of a dribbler, good eye for the killer pass and has a goal in him too. He has a decent burst of acceleration, I wouldn't say he is majorly quicker than Nasri though.

He is quicker though, and more direct. Less pricking about with the ball than Nasri too. City have been Arsenal-esque in that sense all too regularly.

He is quicker though, and more direct. Less pricking about with the ball than Nasri too. City have been Arsenal-esque in that sense all too regularly.

A bit quicker I'd say and yes more direct. Though still young, still developing and not the out and out winger that the City squad lacks.

A bit quicker I'd say and yes more direct. Though still young, still developing and not the out and out winger that the City squad lacks.

I've been thinking about this and the only reason City need an out and out winger is to supply Dzeko. If he goes then it's a waste having crosses go in to Tevez and Aguero.

Someone like Isco is a nice middle ground between say Silva and a winger, direct with guile. Plus, what quality wingers are there out there these days?

I've been thinking about this and the only reason City need an out and out winger is to supply Dzeko. If he goes then it's a waste having crosses go in to Tevez and Aguero.

Someone like Isco is a nice middle ground between say Silva and a winger, direct with guile. Plus, what quality wingers are there out there these days?

Txiki Begiristain is a great believer in the Cruyff philosophy and the Barca way, which is why Man City got him. A big part of that is wingers. Early Barcelona, under Guardiola and Txiki Begiristain played with two wingers. When teams get very compact (as they do often against Barcelona and have done against City last season) penetration from the wide areas is vital. Not just to supply high crosses but to get to the by-line, to provide cutbacks ect.

I'm not saying Isco can't do it, afterall Iniesta and Oscar (two similar players) have played in wide areas for their clubs. None could be considered real wingers though. Not easy to find high quality wingers but just a few off the top of my head, Ribery, Reus, Robben, Bale, Navas, Di Maria, Pedro, Tello, Hazard

I know not all strictly play as wingers these days but each of them can.

Txiki Begiristain is a great believer in the Cruyff philosophy and the Barca way, which is why Man City got him. A big part of that is wingers. Early Barcelona, under Guardiola and Txiki Begiristain played with two wingers. When teams get very compact (as they do often against Barcelona and have done against City last season) penetration from the wide areas is vital. Not just to supply high crosses but to get to the by-line, to provide cutbacks ect.

I'm not saying Isco can't do it, afterall Iniesta and Oscar (two similar players) have played in wide areas for their clubs. None could be considered real wingers though. Not easy to find high quality wingers but just a few off the top of my head, Ribery, Reus, Robben, Bale, Navas, Di Maria, Pedro, Tello, Hazard

I know not all strictly play as wingers these days but each of them can.

Which is basically my point - out and out wingers are few and far between.

Of those "can play as wingers" names, Ribery and Robben are too old for a start and most, if not all, of the others are unavailable. Plus a lot play on the wrong side which only serves to narrow the pitch and that's already a big enough problem for City as it is.

The one I would really like is Reus; himself and Isco would be a fantastic pair to get taking all things into consideration (age, ability, experience etc).

A "get to the byline" winger isn't necessary, someone who can stretch the pitch is.

• Advertisement

Which is basically my point - out and out wingers are few and far between.

Of those "can play as wingers" names, Ribery and Robben are too old for a start and most, if not all, of the others are unavailable. Plus a lot play on the wrong side which only serves to narrow the pitch and that's already a big enough problem for City as it is.

The one I would really like is Reus; himself and Isco would be a fantastic pair to get taking all things into consideration (age, ability, experience etc).

A "get to the byline" winger isn't necessary, someone who can stretch the pitch is.

A lot of them are inverted wingers but I don't believe that is the worst thing and a lot of them can go either way, they don't always cut in on their good foot. They would cost big money, no doubt about that. That being said, Tello was close to joining Liverpool on loan at the start of the season, my point being bargains can sometimes be found with some diligent scouting.

I think it adds another option. A problem with the current City squad is that there are no players in the squad that can play out wide and regularly go past people. It's debatable whether Isco will be that player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Seems to be some strong rumours about that Spurs are close to agreeing a deal to sign Villa in summer. Great signing for them IMO, if true, as he's a player who doesn't really rely on pace and will consistently finish chances that the likes of Adebayor will miss. A superb player who would thrive in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Isco's best position for me right now is central attacking midfield but he is still so young that he could become a fully fledged midfielder or a striker or a wide forward or winger. He can play all those positions but Pellegrini has used him in the role Cazorla played before him at Malaga.

I think he would be a great buy for City but its one of Aguero or Tevez that will be going out of the team if he comes in I think. I just don't see how he replaces Nasri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Barcelona's Director of Football in Sao Paulo now looking to clinch the deal. Rumoured to be €27 million according to reports in Brazil.

http://www.givemefootball.com/346029-barcelona-close-in-on-27m-neymar-deal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Sounds a low figure compared to what has been bandied about...

Sure does. Last week they were saying it was done and dusted and he was off to Germany with Bayern Munich.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm not sure this would be the right move for him.

Barca would suit his style of play more and so would the spanish league as a whole, germany would be quite physical and may not suit as much.

Barca are a few players short of getting back on track, he could be one of them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think he needs to go somewhere where he'll be central to what the team is about; at Barca he'll likely be another water carrier for Messi.

I wonder would Mourinho go for him when he goes to Chelsea!

• Advertisement
Advertisement