Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

rarnes1 wrote: »
    What but out clause? Is there one at all. You seem to be just rehashing rag and twit rumours

Tony Barrett of The Times claims there is - http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/luis-suarez-has-a-40m-buy-out-clause-in-his-liverpool-contract-tony-barrett-radio-interview/

As does tomorrow's Guardian - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/23/arsenal-luis-suarez-liverpool-transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

MD1990 wrote: »

£40m though, bloody hell. Arsenal could buy a similar standard of player who would give them far less trouble for that sort of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Crazy, can't believe Arsenal would bid so much.
    Can't really see them bidding higher.

Paully D wrote: »
    £40m though, bloody hell. Arsenal could buy a similar standard of player who would give them far less trouble for that sort of money.

Who? Give an example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

JPA wrote: »
    Who? Give an example.

van Persie

van Persie

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

surely the £1 is BS made up by the paper, if it isn't :pac:

wouldn't Saurez's agent or someone close with him have not told arsenal, real or whoever about this clause?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Liverpool have turned down a £40 million bid from Arsenal for Suarez according to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23428419

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Maybe they're holding out for Higuain sale to go through and then Madrid come along and are stupid enough to pay 50m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

adox wrote: »
    Liverpool have turned down a £40 million bid from Arsenal for Suarez according to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23428419

40 million pounds??? Jesus Christ who would pay that for a liability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Good thing Suarez is guaranteed quality, isn't it?

Knex. wrote: »
    Good thing Suarez is guaranteed quality, isn't it?

He is a good player a very good player buti wouldn't take him at any price. No way would I want my son idolising a guy that has done what he has! He is taking the name of a very HISTORIC club and dirtying that clubs name with his behaviour.

Great player yes but over 40 million?? BAHAHAHA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Arsenal must be trolling, or there's season tickets that need selling. It's very hard to see them forking out £40 million (plus £1 of course) on a single player.

At what point though, if it is true, does an offer become too good to refuse for Liverpool? At the time Torres left the fear was getting an adequate replacement and look what happened. No reason why the same can't be done using half or two thirds of that wedge.

Makes for interesting day to day reading anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He is a good player a very good player buti wouldn't take him at any price. No way would I want my son idolising a guy that has done what he has! He is taking the name of a very HISTORIC club and dirtying that clubs name with his behaviour.

Great player yes but over 40 million?? BAHAHAHA

Is this you?

Maude-Flanders13.jpeg

Is this you?

Maude-Flanders13.jpeg
    not rising to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

not rising to it

You already did!

The-Dark-Knight-Rises-Logo-2.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Arsenal Fans:

Stayed away from Boards for the day and enjoyed a few, some of yee should try it! :P

Anyway, can't see anything wrong with what Dark-Knight has said.

Suraez? Great player, by no means a legend, but at the minute he's extremely good.

£40/42m bid from Arsenal?
    Fair enough. Do I think he's worth it? No.
    Do I think he's worth it to Arsenal given all of the extenuating circumstances? Yes.

Some of yas (In no way targeting anyone particular) seem to say "we're not going for anyone top class" and then when yas do either "that deal won't be done" or "He's not Arsenal material"

For the love of Christ, there's a good squad there that has performed admirably in recent years and now needs a few major additions to challenge but don't let things descend into anarchy.

Higuain? Not happening but would have been good
    Suarez? Could very well happen and will be good on the pitch with some baggage

Nobody top class? It's not the end of the world.

I say this as a neutral, I wholeheartedly think that, given the situations at United, City and Chelsea, Arsenal will go on to dominate English football with Spurs being a threat in the next lock of years.

I'm not saying "be patiest", you's should sign someone top class sooner rather than later, but Arsene will not loss the run of himself and play ridiculous fees for players (like any more than £42m for Suarez) and he is right not to do so, so relax.

• Advertisement

I say this as a neutral, I wholeheartedly think that, given the situations at United, City and Chelsea, Arsenal will go on to dominate English football with Spurs being a threat in the next lock of years.

That's got merit for a thread in itself ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Xavi6 wrote: »
    That's got merit for a thread in itself ;)

I meant to say, "wholeheartedly with a few drinks in me"

It's against Boards.ie rules to quote me on that :pac:

In all seriousness though, they have a great financial, long-term set up!

Great retort it has to be said
    John W. Henry ‏@John_W_Henry

What do you think they're smoking over there at Emirates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Great retort it has to be said

Is it though, coming from the club that valued Andy Carroll at 35 million. They don't seem to have a grasp on value and worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

jester77 wrote: »
    Is it though, coming from the club that valued Andy Carroll at 35 million. They don't seem to have a grasp on value and worth.

You have to understand they were only just in the door and trusted Commoli and Kenny to spend wisely but it was a disaster. The club is run very shrewdly now and Liverpool will exact every pound from this deal that they can I assure you of that. We don't want to sell simple as but if we do you will have to trump the fee for Fernando Torres in 2011.

Or reality.

rob316 wrote: »
    You have to understand they were only just in the door and trusted Commoli and Kenny to spend wisely

What's the excuse for Joe Allen so? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Joe Allen will be a great signing for Liverpool over the years.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Joe Allen will be a great signing for Liverpool over the years.
    Zinedine Zidane didnt really become one of the worlds best players untill he was about 26. Joe Allen is still only 23... Think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Marca indicating the Higuain deal will be complete with Napoli in a few hours - €37 million or thereabouts, if true I expect there may be a lowball offer of £30m coming in for Suarez soon....

• Advertisement

Marca indicating the Higuain deal will be complete with Napoli in a few hours - €37 million or thereabouts, if true I expect there may be a lowball offer of £30m coming in for Suarez soon....
    Tottenham want Suarez?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Is that not a positive thing when selling a player? I hope they still think andy Carroll is a £35m player, because that way they won't be entertaining anything under £50m for Suarez

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Tottenham want Suarez?

from Madrid :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

What are you talking about? He's the Welsh Xavi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hes British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Arsenal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Higuain left out of Real squad for Lyon friendly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Nélson Oliveira to Stoke City on season long loan from Benfica confirmed, he is a Portuguese International. Another big CF will be interesting to see how he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

mike65 wrote: »
    Higuain left out of Real squad for Lyon friendly

As was Coentrao and Kaka, though Kaka has been left behind to do specific training back at Bernabeu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Vagner Love for 12 mil. from CSKA Moscow to Shandong Luneng Taishan. Strange move, as he seemed to be a starter at CSKA since his return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

DubDani wrote: »
    Vagner Love for 12 mil. from CSKA Moscow to Shandong Luneng Taishan. Strange move, as he seemed to be a starter at CSKA since his return.
    My goodness, going from one crappy dump of a city to an even worse dump. I hope he's getting paid well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Nailz wrote: »
    My goodness, going from one crappy dump of a city to an even worse dump. I hope he's getting paid well.

Have you been to Moscow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Within 3 hours of Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai and Beijing. City itself looks like a nice spot. Probably getting paid quite a bit also. From where I'm sitting anyway he has it good.

I hear Stoke is lovely too. Only 3 hours from Barcelona and Madrid! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

A lad from Cavan calling Moscow & Jinan crappy dumps :pac:

• Advertisement

Just watched the Pool/Victory game and Suarez couldn't have looked more miserable if he tried. Barely broke out of a walk and the one time he did, he set up a goal then showed zero interest in celebrating or acknowledging the fans.

Made Adebayor at his worst look like a work horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just watched the Pool/Victory game and Suarez couldn't have looked more miserable if he tried. Barely broke out of a walk and the one time he did, he set up a goal then showed zero interest in celebrating or acknowledging the fans.

Maybe he feels insulted that Arsenal have decided to start upping their bids in single pounds

Honestly don't know why he doesn't just hand in a transfer request and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Honestly don't know why he doesn't just hand in a transfer request and be done with it.

$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

How insightful. Ever been to either of these countries? Never mind setting foot in the cities.

• Advertisement
Advertisement