Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Honestly don't know why he doesn't just hand in a transfer request and be done with it.

It was really bizarre watching it. He did brilliant work for the goal then just showed no emotion whatsoever. If his intentions are to stay he did nothing to suggest it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

circadian wrote: »
    How insightful. Ever been to either of these countries? Never mind setting foot in the cities.

I wouldnt have replied the way he did but I've lived in Shanghai for 2 years now and I wouldnt expect any very good footballer to move here let alone a smaller chinese city unless it was primarily because they have been offered far more money there than they can get elsewhere.

Drogba & Anelka didn't stay long did they

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

THFC wrote: »
    Within 3 hours of Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai and Beijing. City itself looks like a nice spot. Probably getting paid quite a bit also. From where I'm sitting anyway he has it good.
    Yea, it's a nice old spot alright. I mean, other than the city being a pollution hot spot that reduces the life expectancy of residents by 5.5 years - it's a terrific place to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

From The Guardian:
    Preamble

Fair play to Arsenal. For years their comedy has been decidedly slapstick, Wojciech Szczesny and Laurent Koscielny veering into Laurel and Hardy territory and each other, Emmanuel Eboue conceding an equalising penalty in the 11th minute of stoppage time, the entire team throwing away a four-goal lead at Newcastle and Arsene Wenger spending cash money on Gervinho. But not this time. They've put some thought into this one: it might be the funniest thing a football club has ever done. They might not even need a laughter track to accompany it. Ok, it's a bit closer to Punk'd than it is to Curb but offering Liverpool £40m plus £1 for Luis Suarez in order to trigger a supposed clause in his contract is an expert piece of trolling. You've got to hand it to them. Unless you're Liverpool. They're fuming. Their owner, John W Henry, has even taken to Twitter to ask what Arsenal are smoking. It's Arsenal: they'll be smoking cigars.

----

I saw one of the papers here make a similar comment this morning. I'm confused. What sized offer should Arsenal have made in the circumstances? £40,500,000? £41,000,000? £45,000,000?

Putting aside the fact that the clause seems pretty pointless, if they were seeking to exploit a clause that is triggered at a certain amount then surely that's the amount that they should have bid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The stories about Arsenal being flush with cash must be true considering they offer 99p more than they actually needed too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

jester77 wrote: »
    Is it though, coming from the club that valued Andy Carroll at 35 million. They don't seem to have a grasp on value and worth.

What do you value him at?

Also, I was valued at Torres - £15m :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

What do you value him at?

Also, I was valued at Torres - £15m :pac:

Id have Carroll valued around 20 million, I think he is a beast and has a rocket on him.
    TBH I think if he hadnt moved to Liverpool when he did and being played in a tactic that doesnt suit him, there wouldnt be any questions over him.
    For me now Id have Torres about 25/30mill valuation, Im going on record to say he will be the premier league top scorer if Chelsea dont sign another striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

37m is way too much for Higuain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

MD1990 wrote: »
    37m is way too much for Higuain

In the summer of Falcao(€60m), Cavani(€64m), Negredo(€28m), Soldado(€30m) & Suarez will go for maybe (€45-50m) prices its not that bad tbh, after Cavani the replacement was always gonna be expensive.
    Gomez was a snip in comparison to each of them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

What?

£31 million is great value for a 25 year old with his record.

La Liga
    107 goals in 187 matches
    0.57 goals per game

Argentina
    20 goals in 32 matches.
    0.63 goals per game

Great player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's a brilliant, brilliant signing for Napoli. Couldn't have done anymore in replacing Cavani imo in terms of realistic signings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's a brilliant, brilliant signing for Napoli. Couldn't have done anymore in replacing Cavani imo in terms of realistic signings.

I agree with that, but they did overpay for him by a few million imo.

Then again PSG overpaid for Cavani, so swings and roundabouts I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

What?

£31 million is great value for a 25 year old with his record.

La Liga
    107 goals in 187 matches
    0.57 goals per game

Argentina
    20 goals in 32 matches.
    0.63 goals per game

Great player.

In a team that scores 100+ goals in La Liga pretty much every year and for Argentina who fairly regularly score 3 or 4 goals a game against defensively appalling teams from South America. £31m is ridiculous money to be paying for Higuain and I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise; it may turn out to be money well spent but I doubt it and as of right now it's a pretty crap piece of business on Napoli's part. Tevez went for £10m and Gomez went for £13m, both of whom have plenty of football left in them at 29 and 28, respectively.

Funnily enough you left out his champions league statistics which is after all the big stage; he has 8 goals in 48 games in the champions league or 0.16 goals per game. Going off more current form, in the past 2 years he's scored 4 goals in 21 games or 0.19 goals per game. Overpriced by quite a margin IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Sky Sports News reporting this morning that Liverpool have given permission to Suarez to talk to Arsenal.

jive wrote: »
    In a team that scores 100+ goals in La Liga pretty much every year and for Argentina who fairly regularly score 3 or 4 goals a game against defensively appalling teams from South America. £31m is ridiculous money to be paying for Higuain and I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise; it may turn out to be money well spent but I doubt it and as of right now it's a pretty crap piece of business on Napoli's part. Tevez went for £10m and Gomez went for £13m, both of whom have plenty of football left in them at 29 and 28, respectively.

Funnily enough you left out his champions league statistics which is after all the big stage; he has 8 goals in 48 games in the champions league or 0.16 goals per game. Going off more current form, in the past 2 years he's scored 4 goals in 21 games or 0.19 goals per game. Overpriced by quite a margin IMO.

I don't agree at all. Higuain is a quality footballer who has been massively under-utilised the last couple of years since his bad back injury. I hadn't seen his goal stats and to me they don't really matter - the team is built around Ronaldo and anyone else is just picking up scraps.

As a fan of English football I'm very disappointed that he hasn't ended up at Arsenal or Chelsea.

Napoli have done well and I think Jackson Martinez will be a decent piece of business for them as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Higuain is class. The only reason you'd have to diss him is if you're an Arsenal fan feeling bitter. A "we didn't want you anyway" type of thing.

I wanted him. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I don't get all the Liverpool fans having a dig at Arsenal. Arsenal would be a huge step up for Suarez. Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

dont get people saying he's overpriced .. he is quality,the goals will flow .. the price will only be remembered if he's a flop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

I don't get all the Liverpool fans having a dig at Arsenal. Arsenal would be a huge step up for Suarez. Get over it.

a huge step up? :pac::pac:

plus its more of a case of suarez saying he wanted out of england,then is open to arsenal move.. who have won nothing for years ..

rvp to utd was a huge step up too yes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

barone wrote: »

Yes, it was, he won the league.

No european football to the CL is a huge step up for any player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

plus its more of a case of suarez saying he wanted out of england,then is open to arsenal move.. who have won nothing for years ..

Arsenal are a CL team. Liverpool are not and haven't been for a few years.

What does RVP have to do with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well it might not be a huge step up....but you can't deny it's a step up. Arsenal have made the top 4 for a good number of years and Liverpool haven't. They haven't even been close in quite a while. He'd be on more money and playing in the champions league. It's a step up.

There are those who say they would challenge for the title with Suarez. I wouldn't be among them....but I can see their point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Going to Arsenal is definitely a step up for Suarez. He would make them genuine title contenders imo. They would have a player opposing players are **** scared of, they haven't had that since Henry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Huge, my arse. (well its a bit big). The only difference between the clubs is one has 5 European cups and the other has none and will continue to have none for the foreseeable future. When LFC get back into the CL (and they will at some point) the "whoosh" of money into the Liverpool machine will send the Gunners tumbling.

Anyone think the Gooners could get a Beatles level reception in Jakarta or Melbourne if they'd been out of the CL for 3 years and not won the PL ever?

mike65 wrote: »
    Huge, my arse. (well its a bit big). The only difference between the clubs is one has 5 European cups and the other has none and will continue to have none for the foreseeable future. When LFC get back into the CL (and they will at some point) the "whoosh" of money into the Liverpool machine will send the Gunners tumbling.

Anyone think the Gooners could get a Beatles level reception in Jakarta or Melbourne if they'd been out of the CL for 3 years and not won the PL ever?

Players tend to look to the future though; Djimi Traore's CL medal isn't much use to Luis Suarez at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal's revenue rapidly approaching Bayern Munich levels is another difference, Mike, and CL football is only a fraction of that.

We definitely have a fair amount of supporters who will willfully blinded by a need to spin a red tinted scenario along with bitterness towards Suarez himself, but some of us can see the wood from the trees on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

What have the 5 European cups and number of fans in Indonesia got to do with either sides current level? He's not moving so that he can play for a club that sell more shirts, or have won more trophies in their history, he's moving to play at a higher level and increase his chances of winning something big, or at least competing

The only difference between the clubs is one has 5 European cups and the other has none and will continue to have none for the foreseeable future.

LOL!! :D

When LFC get back into the CL (and they will at some point) the "whoosh" of money into the Liverpool machine will send the Gunners tumbling.
    IF, actually

IF <-- that's a big if.
    so? wowsers, australians like us, we r grreat.

Mike, stop coming across like a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

From Liverpools perspective this is the way they see it.

Top 3 are Chelsea City and United. Not untouchable but will more than likely be Top 3 next season

Arsenal in 4th. The only hope Liverpool have of competing for CL over the next 1-3 years is by competing with Spurs and Arsenal for 4th. Selling Suarez to Arsenal makes them stronger and Liverpool weaker. And that is the issue.

And as for Arsenal being a huge step up? I honestly dont think so. When did Arsenal last win a trophy, and Arsenal wont be competing for PL or CL winners. A step up yes, but not a huge one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,583 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I also think it is only a medium sized step up also, and that Suarez should concentrate on getting an even better move next year

Fair play to you Mike. Our best player (and only World Class player really) is seemingly desperate to get the **** out of Anfield for the Emirates and you're weaving tales of our structural superiority:

- They have a stadium that will carry them forward for decades, we don't
    - They have a giant of a manager in place, we don't
    - They are willing to bid £40m for a player, we aren't
    - They have a decent squad, we don't
    - They are in the CL, and we won't anytime soon

But hey, we had 95k turn up for a friendly, have an exciting young manager and squad and are making SO MUCH PROGRESS. Right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Sky sources: Norwich agree fee with Celtic for Gary Hooper and striker will have medical today #SSN

Could be a nice option for all you FF players out there and a great signing for Norwich if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Huge step up my hole. When Alonso went to Real and Mascherano went to Barca those were big step ups. Suarez going to Arsenal is the equivalent of going to Atletico, in europe alrite but never gonna win the thing and never going to win the domestic league either.
    People can say oh they beat Bayern last year but so did BATE Borisov

Fair play to you Mike. Our best player (and only World Class player really) is seemingly desperate to get the **** out of Anfield for Highbury and you're weaving tales of our structural superiority:

But hey, we had 95k turn up for a friendly, have an exciting young manager and squad and are making SO MUCH PROGRESS. Right?

But did you not hear the Indonesian's singing YNWA? :pac:

LiamoSail wrote: »
    But did you not hear the Indonesian's singing YNWA? :pac:

The really irritating part of this is that Arsenal did look like the most likely of the top four there to be got. I have critiscised their lack of ambition and approach over the past few seasons more than anyone. But this whole thing is making me realise that, flawed as they may be, they're miles ahead of us right now. Which is massively depressing. :(

GTR63 wrote: »
    Huge step up my hole. When Alonso went to Real and Mascherano went to Barca those were big step ups. Suarez going to Arsenal is the equivalent of going to Atletico, in europe alrite but never gonna win the thing and never going to win the domestic league either.

Actually I disagree. Alonso signed for real at the end of a season in which Liverpool had just beaten real 5-0 on aggregate in the CL, and finished second in the league. That was probably the best Liverpool side in twenty years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Arsenal have sold out all of their games on this Asian tour. They aren't exactly lacking in a fanbase over there..

Also don't get how people question why Suarez would go to Arsenal on the basis of trophies. This current Arsenal squad with Suarez added, would be challenging for trophies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fair play to you Mike. Our best player (and only World Class player really) is seemingly desperate to get the **** out of Anfield for the Emirates and you're weaving tales of our structural superiority:

You really should hand your LFC card in I think.

The obvious point I was making is that LFC are bigger than Arsenal as an entity, to quote from a guardian article
    As a friend texted your correspondent as he witnessed the red hordes walking down Collins St, "imagine how popular they'd be if they were successful?"

And this is the thing to remember. The only thing missing from the club is a foothold back in the CL - everything else flows from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

GTR63 wrote: »

I'd agree with that. Definitely a step up since they are in the Champions League and, with his addition, may be able to mount a challenge for the league. However I thought he could have played for a club at the next level, Madrid or Bayern perhaps. While its a step up it's not as big a step up as it could have been.

• Advertisement

Actually I disagree. Alonso signed for real at the end of a season in which Liverpool had just beaten real 5-0 on aggregate in the CL, and finished second in the league. That was probably the best Liverpool side in twenty years

True, but Real are Real at the end of the day and as a player going there you can always be sure that they'll open the cheque book in a big way to get you top quality support.

You really should hand your LFC card in I think.

The obvious point I was making is that LFC are bigger than Arsenal as an entity, to quote from a guardian article

And this is the thing to remember. The only thing missing from the club is a foothold back in the CL - everything else flows from that.

The LFC card held by the majority of LFC fans on here seems to involve inhabiting some never, never land where all our young players have huge potential; we have a talented forward thinking manager and make all the right moves in the transfer market somehow. I just hold a different real world card.

And it's a moo point (like a cow's opinion :pac:) because this club isn't making any of the moves necessary to climb back into the CL anytime soon. Another half decade without CL football or trophies and I'd wonder whether we'd be packing them in on the other side of the world to the same extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The LFC card held by the majority of LFC fans on here seems to involve inhabiting some never, never land where all our young players have huge potential; we have a talented forward thinking manager and make all the right moves in the transfer market somehow. I just hold a different real world card.

And it's a moo point (like a cow's opinion :pac:) because this club isn't making any of the moves necessary to climb back into the CL anytime soon. Another half decade without CL football or trophies and I'd wonder whether we'd be packing them in on the other side of the world to the same extent.

Change the record and just try and support the club for a second please.

And if you cant go support someone else you clearly havnt got the patience for the club to progress.

rob316 wrote: »

And if you cant go support someone else you clearly havnt got the patience for the club to progress.

You can't knock someone for having a different point of view to yours.

You seem to confuse "support" for a club with being delusional about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

It really does make one wonder where it all went wrong for Liverpool. That was a fantastic side with a really strong spine. Reina, Carragher, Mascherano, Alonso, Torres.

I remember they obliterated Newcastle 5-1 at SJP and thinking that was the best side i'd seen come to SJP in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Beefy78 wrote: »

Explain? How am I been delusional?

Beefy78 wrote: »

a lot of them do

Explain? How am I been delusional?

You're criticising his support on the basis that he's trying to offer an objective opinion on his club.

• Advertisement

By support you mean have a lemming like pre disposed positive outlook on everything the club does? Hmm, I'm good as I am cheers.

Advertisement