Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Classy from Gary.

I think he will do very well in the PL. one of my tips for signing of the summer.
    @celticfc I would like to thank Celtic FC and everyone associated with the club, especially the fans, for 3 amazing years that I will never forget.
    2013-07-26

BQGgz-DCYAAr7hC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Looks like Kevin Doyle will be his replacement.

What's happened to him, 5th choice at a league 1 club. He looked really promising in his first 4 or 5 seasons at Reading.

Edit: I see he's 30 in two months, didn't think he was that old

Never really came back from that knee injury. I dont not want him at Celtic, he's not good enough and if he wasnt Irish and a Celtic fan, there be nothing said about him.
    Leiva wrote: »
    Classy from Gary.

I think he will do very well in the PL. one of my tips for signing of the summer.

BQGgz-DCYAAr7hC.jpg

Casual Friday for Hooper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

http://www.marca.com/2013/07/26/en/football/real_madrid/1374823857.html

Look at this for a quote:
    "You made me a promise. You promised me if we didn't qualify for the Champions League and a good offer turned up you'd listen to it. Well that offer has arrived and I want to play for Real Madrid. So keep your word and negotiate".

Had a half a mind to post this in the Humour thread. Honestly, does anyone actually believe the shíte they spout sometimes!? This tops anything I've seen before though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

"Should the deal be accepted, Bale will spend the next six seasons at the Santiago Bernabéu, where he stands to earn between €9 and 10 million."

Some difference between €9 and 10 million. They'd want to clarify that so there's no confusion :pac:

Some smartarse will say "sure it's obviously €9m-€10m but a newspaper shouldn't make mistakes like that regardless.

Joke of a paper, wouldn't believe a word they say!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

THFC wrote: »

Had a half a mind to post this in the Humour thread. Honestly, does anyone actually believe the shíte they spout sometimes!? This tops anything I've seen before though.
    I can't access the link here; what's that in reference to?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I can't access the link here; what's that in reference to?

Bale (supposedly) wanting to go to Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I have seen Chelsea being linked with a bid for brasilian and botafogo defender Doria.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

GTR63 wrote: »
    I have seen Chelsea being linked with a bid for brasilian and botafogo defender Doria.
    Wasn't she a cartoon character on MTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Marca were on the Isco and Illuramendi deals days before anyone else. They often know their stuff about Madrid so I'd be a bit worried as a Spurs fan.

Though I agree I don't know where they're getting those quotes from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Is Bale not negotiating a new contract with Spurs now?
    He's odds on to stay at Spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Those "quotes" just seem bizarre.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Marca were on the Isco and Illuramendi deals days before anyone else. They often know their stuff about Madrid so I'd be a bit worried as a Spurs fan.

Marca are more or less used by the club to unsettle players by leaking facts and fiction about potential deals. Big photoshop fans too.
    Wasn't she a cartoon character on MTV?
    That was Daria, kudos for remembering that btw.

Morzadec wrote: »

Lol, the whole world and it's dog knows Real want Bale, and they're Real Madrid, they'll probably get him, that much isn't in dispute. As for the quotes, my word, it leaves me speechless, how could anyone think they'd get away with that is beyond, I also think they reported Bale had handed in a transfer request 2 or 3 days ago, which again, was quite obviously a load of shít.

Regarding Isco and Illeramendi, as has been stated above they're the propaganda machine for Real, they print the stories Real want them to print. That doesn't make them reliable, far from it, anyone that thinks so should take a gander through their archives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Those "quotes" just seem bizarre.

They used the exact same quote last year for Modric! Funny that both of them said the exact same thing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Marca are more or less used by the club to unsettle players by leaking facts and fiction about potential deals. Big photoshop fans too.

That was Daria, kudos for remembering that btw.

Marca are always printing good things about Real, bad things about Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Dempsey wrote: »
    A lad from Cavan calling Moscow & Jinan crappy dumps :pac:
    You better believe it, try going to these places and you'll see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Any update on David Villa?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

ronjo wrote: »

Moved to Atletico Madrid week's ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

He signed for Atletico Madrid a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Did he not sign for Atletico Madrid a couple of weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Anyone wrote: »
    He signed for Atletico Madrid a few weeks ago.

Aha yes.. had forgotten that. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I hear David Villa moved to Atletico a few weeks ago...

In other news that interests me, there's a lot of talk of Fred moving to Valencia as Soldado's replacement if/when he goes. Apparently Fred has a low buy-out clause for European clubs, and according to Spanish newspapers Jonas has spoken with him about the move and he's interested. Would be a good replacement I guess- about as good as Valencia could hope for in the club's situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone just sign Bernard already! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Some Gareth Bale news:

Gareth Bale has been left distraught by the refusal of Daniel Levy, the Tottenham Hotspur chairman, to consider a world record €100m – £86.3m – offer from Real Madrid.

Real have made their move for their long-time target and Bale is determined to complete the transfer. He wants to play Champions League football, which Tottenham cannot offer after they finished fifth in the Premier League last season, but the allure of Real runs some way deeper.

Bale recognises Real as one of the world's leading clubs, capable of competing for the grandest prizes. In the event of leaving Tottenham, whom he joined from Southampton in 2007, he has always dreamed of playing for the Bernabéu club.

He has enjoyed his six years at White Hart Lane, where he is feted by the supporters, but feels that the time is right to move on. It is impossible to dispute the value and service that he has given to the club, with last season being his best. The 24-year-old scored 26 goals in all competitions and swept the individual awards, being named as the PFA's player and young player of the year and the Football Writers' Association player of the year.

Bale is horrified by Levy's intransigence. The chairman has the reputation as a tough negotiator but to Bale, the offer from Real is one that should be impossible to refuse. The world record transfer is Cristiano Ronaldo's £80m move to Real from Manchester United in 2009.

Bale cannot believe that Levy is blocking what could be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, with the chairman merely maintaining that his prized asset is not for sale. Bale's worth to André Villas-Boas's team is obvious but the Wales international feels that there comes a point when it is unfair to hold somebody to the terms of his contract. His deal has three years to run.

The situation has got under Bale's skin and it is threatening to turn ugly. He has had a glute muscle problem, which has restricted him in pre-season, but it has come to feel slightly convenient as he has been in no frame of mind to play. Bale featured in the club's opening friendly against Swindon Town but he missed the game against Colchester United and, although he travelled to Hong Kong for the Asia Trophy, he has not trained and he missed Tottenham's matches against Sunderland and South China.

Villas-Boas said after his team's 6-0 win over South China on Saturday that he expected Bale to return to training on Wednesday and be available for the friendly against Monaco at the Stade Louis II on Saturday. But it is highly unlikely that he will play.

Villas-Boas has been exasperated at the persistent questions over Bale's future but it felt as though his tone had changed at his press conference following the South China match. He has towed the line about Bale not being for sale and repeatedly stated that his information is that it is impossible for a deal to be struck with a rival club.

But in Hong Kong on Saturday, he was reticent, refusing to deny that Real had made a bid for Bale and also refusing to be drawn on reports from Spain that the player was pressing for the move. "I don't want to comment on anything like that," Villas-Boas said. "I cannot speak about anything." The manager gave the same response to a question about Real's conduct.

Tottenham used Bale at a promotional launch for their new kit at the beginning of the month and he talked of wanting to help the club finish in the Champions League places, which raised hopes that he could yet snub Real's advances.

Only on Friday, Villas-Boas said that talks were "ongoing" with Bale's representative about the possibility of the player signing a new deal at White Hart Lane. But there have been no such negotiations and Bale's mind is made up about his next move.

Tottenham continue to press ahead with business for the new season and they are close to finalising the transfer of the €30m-rated Valencia striker Roberto Soldado. They have already signed the midfielder Paulinho for a club-record £17m from Corinthians and the winger Nacer Chadli for £7m from FC Twente.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/27/gareth-bale-real-madrid-tottenham-hotspur

Hard to believe that Madrid would bid €100 million and harder to believe that it would be turned down. If true it's kinda understandable Bale would be pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sensational numbers, to think Inter Milan were supposedly going to spend 40 million on him only two and a half years ago - if you believe the Guardian. *red faces*

• Advertisement

£86m, a f*cking daft bid if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

JPA wrote: »
    Some Gareth Bale news:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/27/gareth-bale-real-madrid-tottenham-hotspur

Hard to believe that Madrid would bid €100 million and harder to believe that it would be turned down. If true it's kinda understandable Bale would be pissed off.

Hard to believe that when Bale signed a new contract last summer that he didn't insist on a clause where Spurs must sell him if they get offered x amount if they don't qualify for the CL.

He has no one to blame but himself if the deal doesn't happen, he saw what happened to Modric when he wanted to go to Chelsea and he saw what Levy can be like. Madness.

Crazy not to let him go for that cash. I'd be skeptical a bid was that high.

Blatter wrote: »
    Hard to believe that when Bale signed a new contract last summer that he didn't insist on a clause where Spurs must sell him if they get offered x amount if they don't qualify for the CL.

He has no one to blame but himself if the deal doesn't happen, he saw what happened to Modric when he wanted to go to Chelsea and he saw what Levy can be like. Madness.
    He didn't insist on it because he's not leaving. He said as much at the start of the summer. That article is nonsense, originating from the propaganda article from Marca, who used the exact same dialogue as what Modric was apparently meant to have said. He's not training because he is injured, why on Earth would he have gone to China not to play? It doesn't make sense. If he has had a change of heart, then it's been recent, but I highly doubt it. I'm fairly confident that come September Bale will still be in London. We've opened contract negotiations with him ffs, we'd hardly be doing that if he's leaving.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd be sceptical there was a bid at all. It's all stemming from Marca. They're fcuking masters at the art of gutter journalism.

He didn't insist on it because he's not leaving. He said as much at the start of the summer. That article is nonsense, originating from the propaganda article from Marca, who used the exact same dialogue as what Modric was apparently meant to have said. He's not training because he is injured, why on Earth would he have gone to China not to play? It doesn't make sense. If he has had a change of heart, then it's been recent, but I highly doubt it. I'm fairly confident that come September Bale will still be in London. We've opened contract negotiations with him ffs, we'd hardly be doing that if he's leaving.

I'd be sceptical there was a bid at all. It's all stemming from Marca. They're fcuking masters at the art of gutter journalism.

Well I read today that AVB refused to deny that Real Madrid have made a bid. That's always a telling sign that something is up.

And the Guardian don't usually rehash stuff from the likes of Marca, especially stuff this big.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile....

Rafael Hernández ‏@RafaelH117 4m
    BREAKING: Soldado has been sold to Tottenham for 30m euros, breaking the club's transfer record.

Yes marca is full of ****. But this isn't from Marca.
    But if, big if, Real have actually bid that much Levy would be crazy not to accept. Huge money tends to negate contracts, players wishes and everything else.

Well I read today that AVB refused to deny that Real Madrid have made a bid. That's always a telling sign that something is up.

And the Guardian don't usually rehash stuff from the likes of Marca, especially stuff this big.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/27/gareth-bale-wants-to-play-madrid

Title of article:
    Gareth Bale says he 'just wants to play for Madrid', according to Marca

The original source in all this seems to be Marca. In the past the club have let the fans known if offers had come in, most recently the Chelsea bid for Modric 2 summers ago for example.

Until a reputable source comes out with a quote from the club or Bale himself, my opinion won't change. Marca had a goal with that original article, and they're already achieved that goal. They've caused mayhem with what was clearly a false transcript of a private interview between Bale and Levy. How any paper would get access to quotes from a private interview from those 2 I do not know.
    Yes marca is full of ****. But this isn't from Marca.
    But if, big if, Real have actually bid that much Levy would be crazy not to accept. Huge money tends to negate contracts, players wishes and everything else.
    But it's all originated from Marca, everything has come off the basis of that article, there hasn't been one verified quote to date other than papers trying to manipulate AVB's words.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/27/gareth-bale-wants-to-play-madrid

Title of article:
    Gareth Bale says he 'just wants to play for Madrid', according to Marca

The original source in all this seems to be Marca. In the past the club have let the fans known if offers had come in, most recently the Chelsea bid for Modric 2 summers ago for example.

Until a reputable source comes out with a quote from the club or Bale himself, my opinion won't change. Marca had a goal with that original article, and they're already achieved that goal. They've caused mayhem with what was clearly a false transcript of a private interview between Bale and Levy. How any paper would get access to quotes from a private interview from those 2 I do not know.

I don't know either but falsifying quotes is cause for legal action.

I don't know either but falsifying quotes is cause for legal action.
    http://www.dearmrlevy.com/dml/2013/7/26/marca-satire

Just a bit of a heads up for those that have a Coral account, you can get 11/4 on Bale to leave Spurs this summer.

Serious price considering you can get 1.76 on BF that he will still be there, and 1.67 with Sky bet. I expect those prices to drift between now and the morning.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/gareth-bale/still-there-at-start-of-season

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

One of the more funnier stories this summer -
    Celtic are ready to make an ambitious move for Ajax's young Denmark international Viktor Fischer.

Parkhead chief executive Peter Lawwell was a surprise visitor at the Dutch Super Cup final to watch the teenage left winger.

The Glasgow giants have money to spend after selling Victor Wanyama and Gary Hooper - and may possibly need to replace midfielder Joe Ledley, who has been linked with an exit.

Celtic are prepared to pay around £3 million for Fischer, a big sum by their standards - and in the hope that the Dutch club will trade.

Fischer has come through the ranks for Ajax and also played for Denmark at all levels, so it would be a major coup.

The Hoops have the chance of qualifying for the Champions League to offer in their audacious quest and Lawwell's presence at the game is significant.

Ajax came from two goals down to beat AZ Alkmaar in a thrilling match - and now the excitement turns to the bid to net Fischer.

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/football/29032-celtic-target-ajax-youngster.php

£86m, a f*cking daft bid if true.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Greg Stobart ‏@gstobart As of last night, senior Spurs sources claimed no official, written bid for Bale from #RMCF. Levy still adamant 'not for sale'. Hmmm #THFC

Whoever wrote that article for Marca must be on serious commission from Real. Master wum.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    One of the more funnier stories this summer -

Funny cos Celtic are signing Derk Boerrigter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

still no quotes from anyone in the Bale story, even the BBC.

that £85m figure is being reported so widely, I'm starting to believe it was actually bid. and even more perplexing, that it was rejected.

i'll say it now, he is not worth £85m. Ronaldo is twice the player Bale is for one.

and isn't £85m a significant % of what Spurs is worth as a club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

SlickRic wrote: »
    still no quotes from anyone in the Bale story, even the BBC.

that £85m figure is being reported so widely, I'm starting to believe it was actually bid. and even more perplexing, that it was rejected.

i'll say it now, he is not worth £85m. Ronaldo is twice the player Bale is for one.

and isn't £85m a significant % of what Spurs is worth as a club?

I think Ronaldo was twice the player Bale is now, back when he was at United, Bale will never get remotely close to the level Ronaldo is at now.

Paying more for him is insane.

Bale has had arguably one great season at 24, this great season only came around when he was played through the centre, he can kiss that goodbye if he goes to Madrid with Ozil being one of the best CAMs in the world.

It's just crazy IMO, even out of all the Galacticos players signed, Bale for 85m is the craziest by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Agreed, Ronaldo is head and shoulders above Bale, now and when he joined Madrid.

Where would Bale even play ffs? £85m is just ludicrous, rejecting that bid(if it was made) is even more so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Wasn't the alleged Bale bid 50 odd million and 2 players?

Pretty sure I read that in a couple of places yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It would make sense cash + players.

Maybe Di Maria and a young lad going the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Wasn't the alleged Bale bid 50 odd million and 2 players?

Pretty sure I read that in a couple of places yesterday.

Those two players were meant to be Coentrao and Di Maria and so with adding their best market value to £50 million people have come up with £85 million. That and it lends itself to headlines such as 'record breaking bid for Bale'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Those two players were meant to be Coentrao and Di Maria and so with adding their best market value to £50 million people have come up with £85 million. That and it lends itself to headlines such as 'record breaking bid for Bale'

If Real offered £50 million + Do Maria and Coentrao and Spurs rejected it, spurs are idiots, far, far, far more than Bale is worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Seaneh wrote: »
    If Real offered £50 million + Do Maria and Coentrao and Spurs rejected it, spurs are idiots, far, far, far more than Bale is worth.

Agreed, the chance to get a fine player in Di Maria and an improvement on BAE in Coentrao + 50million should be a no brainer if it was true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Agreed, the chance to get a fine player in Di Maria and an improvement on BAE in Coentrao + 50million should be a no brainer if it was true.

I just don't get some of you guys at all. Bale is a fantastic player and with the way transfer fees have gone over the past couple of years he is worth the really big money that is being talked about.

Also Coentrao does not seem suited to the Premier League imo, I don't think he would be a success in that league. As for Di Maria, well they have Aaron Lennon who plays that side of the pitch, if Bale is going they need somebody playing down the left side of the pitch to replace him not another right-sided player.

Basically those players likely don't suit Spurs and I think you are being ridiculous suggesting that Bale is not worth that money.

Cant see Di Maria & Coentrao being on wages that fit into Spurs wage structure

• Advertisement

There is absolutely nothing to back up any claims that any paper have made in the part few days. It's all speculation and original source was Marca, everything stemmed from that article. No paper has any credible source or quotes, it's a nothing story.

Advertisement