Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

eagle eye wrote: »
    I just don't get some of you guys at all. Bale is a fantastic player and with the way transfer fees have gone over the past couple of years he is worth the really big money that is being talked about.

Also Coentrao does not seem suited to the Premier League imo, I don't think he would be a success in that league. As for Di Maria, well they have Aaron Lennon who plays that side of the pitch, if Bale is going they need somebody playing down the left side of the pitch to replace him not another right-sided player.

Basically those players likely don't suit Spurs and I think you are being ridiculous suggesting that Bale is not worth that money.

I think you're possibly right about his value. Comparing him to Ronaldo is pointless anyway. But Bale hasn't really played on the left for Spurs for the last 18 months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

eagle eye wrote: »
    As for Di Maria, well they have Aaron Lennon who plays that side of the pitch, if Bale is going they need somebody playing down the left side of the pitch to replace him not another right-sided player.

Di Maria played on the left for most of his time at Benfica. That's his natural position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Di Maria alone isn't a million miles from Bale's standard, especially on the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

THFC wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing to back up any claims that any paper have made in the part few days. It's all speculation and original source was Marca, everything stemmed from that article. No paper has any credible source or quotes, it's a nothing story.

The BBC are reporting it now as well. It's clear that the media have been briefed by Bale's camp imo. If it was completely false, the club would've denied it by now.
    Liam O wrote: »
    Di Maria alone isn't a million miles from Bale's standard, especially on the wing.

I don't get the idea that Coentrao and di Maria especially would pack their bags and move to Spurs on a whim. They are both CL players and it wouldn't make sense for them to move to Spurs unless they were offered crazy money, which won't happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Blatter wrote: »
    The BBC are reporting it now as well. It's clear that the media have been briefed by Bale's camp imo. If it was completely false, the club would've denied it by now.

I don't get the idea that Coentrao and di Maria especially would pack their bags and move to Spurs on a whim. They are both CL players and it wouldn't make sense for them to move to Spurs unless they were offered crazy money, which won't happen.

If Real have told them that they aren't needed and that can either move or warm the bench, they would jump quickly at a club offering them similar wages and first team football.

Both players are on wages south of €100k a week, spurs could afford them.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »

It's a big financial commitment to take them on though. £80k a week, five year contract.... that almost all of the amount of cash that Madrid were reported to be offering already spent.

If Real have told them that they aren't needed and that can either move or warm the bench, they would jump quickly at offering them similar wages and first team football.

I wouldn't be as confident about that as you at all. There'd be loads of CL clubs across Europe that'd be interested in taking them on at that wage, why go to Spurs just because they offer you as part of a deal?

And wouldn't Spurs have to offer them more than they're on at the moment to equal their current wage, accounting for the higher tax rate in England?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

There is no way in the world that Di Maria and Coentrao will join Spurs as part exchange for Bale, do people not realise when the media is laughing at them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

15.04 - Sky Sports News reporter Jamie Weir brings us the news that Gareth Bale's possible move to Real Madrid from Tottenham may well come down a battle of wills between club supremos Daniel Levy and Florentino Perez

From the SSN transfer feed, gave me a chuckle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

How things change - Five years ago :pac:

BQStN4SCAAAKl6Y.jpg:large

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Marca saying that Bale deal is 'imminent' and 'a matter of hours'.

The fee? £80m (93 million euro).

So technically that means that Downing is worth £95m.

Liverpool got him at a steal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Just out of curiosity, what are the 'reliable' sports news sources in Spain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Not Marca anyway.

They're like the Real Madrid weekly newsletter with fabricated stories and propaganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

not sure but El Mundo Deportivo is from barcelona & and AS is another madrid based one, i think

but worth remembering if you hear stories from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bale for 85m is absolute madness
    brillant player but its crazy money for a guy who scored 26 in 44 Games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

MD1990 wrote: »
    Bale for 85m is absolute madness
    brillant player but its crazy money for a guy who scored 26 in 44 Games

And that's a bad record for a winger?

Not Marca anyway.

They're like the Real Madrid weekly newsletter with fabricated stories and propaganda.

Yeah that's what I mean. The only stuff you ever hear seems to come from marca or as and is almost always bull****, similar to the daily mail and sun. So was just wondering if there were any more reliable ones to look out for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Wasent he played at cam/cf for a good part of the second half of the season where he had his best patch? Or was it not that ofthen?

klose wrote: »
    Wasent he played at cam/cf for a good part of the second half of the season where he had his best patch? Or was it not that ofthen?

Yep. He scored most of his goals during that period as well.

Good luck to him trying to shift Ozil from that position, other than this season he really has only been an average to good winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I'm an Arsenal fan but even I must profess admiration to Daniel Levy's gigantic swinging balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

he played behind the striker for half of the season
    its a very good record but not worthy of 85m

He didn't really play behind the striker as such, he had a free role in the side. I remember him causing loads of damage from the wings in the second half of last season. He would def start somewhere across the 3 behind the striker for Madrid and do well.

Blatter wrote: »
    He didn't really play behind the striker as such, he had a free role in the side. I remember him causing loads of damage from the wings in the second half of last season. He would def start somewhere across the 3 behind the striker for Madrid and do well.

He had his best patch of form coming through the middle or from the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Will somebody please buy Kaka and play him every week. PLEASE:

Arguably the best edge of the box shooter of the modern era

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

jamc wrote: »

Paul Scholes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Psg or Monaco are lining up a bid in excess of €100 mil for Gareth Bale.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/100m-cannes-jewel-heist-one-of-biggest-ever-8737136.html

jamc wrote: »
    Will somebody please buy Kaka and play him every week. PLEASE:

Best player in the world for a lot of the last decade, the prototype for the modern AMC, him and zidane defined that role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Best player in the world for a lot of the last decade, the prototype for the modern AMC, him and zidane defined that role.

I'd play him as a striker now but at the last Copa I was thinking of moving Forlan back into the midfield position.
    Hope he gets a move he wasted his time at Real the last 2 years at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

GTR63 wrote: »
    I'd play him as a striker now but at the last Copa I was thinking of moving Forlan back into the midfield position.
    Hope he gets a move he wasted his time at Real the last 2 years at least.
    article-2182092-144E7A34000005DC-386_306x423.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Luap wrote: »
    Psg or Monaco are lining up a bid in excess of €100 mil for Gareth Bale.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/100m-cannes-jewel-heist-one-of-biggest-ever-8737136.html

That sounds more like Marseille

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Sky now saying that the £85 million bid for Bale has actually definitely happened and did so a week ago

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/8848350/real-madrid-make-world-record-85m-bid-for-spurs-star-gareth-bale
    skysports wrote:
    Real Madrid have made a world record bid of over £85m to Spurs for Gareth Bale, Sky Sports understands.

The bid has been on the table for over a week and Bale is aware of it and is becoming more frustrated with the situation.

The bid does not include any Real Madrid players moving to Spurs as part of a package.

Sky Sports understands Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is currently in Miami and that the club's stance - that the Wales international is not for sale - has not changed.

Bale has so far kept his feelings to himself, making no public declaration about what he wants to happen next.

Tottenham and Bale are back from the Asia Trophy and will resume training on Wednesday.

Amazing if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Sky now saying that the £85 million bid for Bale has actually definitely happened and did so a week ago

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/8848350/real-madrid-make-world-record-85m-bid-for-spurs-star-gareth-bale

Amazing if true.

Levy must be some poker player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Just insanity.

So much of this bid is about pride and one-upmanship on Barcelona.

I think Perez actually wants to break the transfer record because of the buzz it will create.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That's a bit of insult to Ronaldo if anything. Yeah, we uh, think Bale is worth more than you were. Bizarre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

JPA wrote: »
    Just insanity.

So much of this bid is about pride and one-upmanship on Barcelona.

I think Perez actually wants to break the transfer record because of the buzz it will create.

its been pretty much all of the above now coming on a decade.

its a classic case of keeping up with the Jones by both clubs.

money seems to be no problem but i did read a very concerning article about the bubble that is the money in La Liga

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    That's a bit of insult to Ronaldo if anything. Yeah, we uh, think Bale is worth more than you were. Bizarre!

Yea he will go home and cry over his new €155 million contract.

That is just insane, I'd love to see Madrid go bankrupt but it will never happen.

Hardly. Transfer market inflation has pushed the value of deals up and up in the few years since Ronaldo. If he was on the market today at the age he was when he left United he'd go for far more.

I'm sure Ronaldo's fat new contract offer would let him know how highly he is regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Levy is just as insane turning it down, unless he's holding out for more money. If that was reinvested into the Spurs squad in 4-5 top quality players, they would be challenging for the title and not 4th place. Bale had an incredible season but many players have had similar seasons and failed to live up to the hype after eg. Nani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Leiva wrote: »
    its been pretty much all of the above now coming on a decade.

its a classic case of keeping up with the Jones by both clubs.

money seems to be no problem but i did read a very concerning article about the bubble that is the money in La Liga

At least Barca needed a new striker though.

• Advertisement

IF the £85mil is true then don't fool yourself.

Levy is a businessman he will not turn it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

£85M on Bale is insane. Spurs should take their hand off for that

£85M on Bale is insane. Spurs should take their hand off for that

im sure they will.

Levy knows that if they are willing to throw 85m out on what seems to have been a first offer, that they will go more.

I wouldn't be surprised if Madrid went 90 to 100m, it seems like they want to send a giant "f*ck you" to Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Leiva wrote: »
    Yea he will go home and cry over his new €155 million contract.

He could couldn't he? Hasn't he expressed sadness before at trivial stuff. Money isn't everything to a player. Stature can be quite important. If he perceives the club as placing more value on Bale than they did on him that could create a rift. That said I do not think Ronaldo is actually that type of player. But the only way to find out for certain is to test it.

It's similar to the situation in companies where one person finds out another person is on higher wages than themselves. Some react very negatively once they find that out if they perceive themselves as being the more valued employee. Some react negatively when they find out that a person is only a few thousand euros below them on the payscale. Egos and career make for unforeseen circumstances and in soccer players who are effectively superstars the balance gets tipped even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭ronjo

It's similar to the situation in companies where one person finds out another person is on higher wages than themselves. Some react very negatively once they find that out if they perceive themselves as being the more valued employee.

Its really not. Look at the way the transfer market as spiralled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I hear Levy is looking for €145Million.

I'd say it's a bit of posturing rejecting that before accepting a slightly different offer. There's no way they'd reject that much money, Bale isn't that good anyway.

Is Levy the be-all-and-end all when it come to final decisions? does he have the absolute final say at the club?

cause if there are a few darklord board members then I cant really see the majority turning down an offer for one player that is a considerable % of the club value, can you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Levy knows that if they are willing to throw 85m out on what seems to have been a first offer, that they will go more.

I wouldn't be surprised if Madrid went 90 to 100m, it seems like they want to send a giant "f*ck you" to Barca

Yes, a big **** you, overpaying on players isnt a competition most teams want to be a part of :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement