Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The money being talked about for Bale is ridiculous. What is even more ridiculous is they aren't guaranteed a 'first name on the teamsheet' player like they got with Ronaldo. He might not even start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Oat23 wrote: »
    The money being talked about for Bale is ridiculous. What is even more ridiculous is they aren't guaranteed a 'first name on the teamsheet' player like they got with Ronaldo. He might not even start!

Ah he will, Ancelotti has no doubt got a plan involving having both players in the 3 behind the striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

If they pay that much for him, it would be the biggest joke not to start him. And he might not be able to handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Sky now saying that the £85 million bid for Bale has actually definitely happened and did so a week ago

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/8848350/real-madrid-make-world-record-85m-bid-for-spurs-star-gareth-bale

Amazing if true.

Someone call 999 and report a mugging in progress.

You can't help but admire Daniel Levy.

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Someone call 999 and report a mugging in progress.

You can't help but admire Daniel Levy.

I dunno. There is a flipside. Spurs will miss out on players as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

"Bale is becoming more and more frustrated with the situation."

and then

"Bale has so far kept his feelings to himself, making no public declaration about what he wants to happen next."

Congratulations Sky Sports News for managing two paragraphs before contradicting yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

"Bale is becoming more and more frustrated with the situation."

and then

"Bale has so far kept his feelings to himself, making no public declaration about what he wants to happen next."

Congratulations Sky Sports News for managing two paragraphs before contradicting yourselves.

They are no longer a reliable source as far as I am concerned, they are just trying to up their viewing ratings. I am really falling out of love with football tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Leiva wrote: »
    Is Levy the be-all-and-end all when it come to final decisions? does he have the absolute final say at the club?

cause if there are a few darklord board members then I cant really see the majority turning down an offer for one player that is a considerable % of the club value, can you?

Joe Lewis is the owner. He's a multi Billionaire so he has the final say.

Can't see him turning that one down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

CSF wrote: »
    Ah he will, Ancelotti has no doubt got a plan involving having both players in the 3 behind the striker

Except that this clearly isn't Ancelotti's transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sky used to be reliable
    but since the popularity of twitter they don't seem to have a clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Bale's good play last year had a lot to do with him being more selfish, and being played in centre.

He'll be back out on the wing at Madrid, and I don't know how selfish he can be with Ronnie in the same team.

Bale going to Madrid must mean any deal for Suarez is off? I just can't see them spending nearly 100m on Bale then another 50-60 on Suarez.

I'd say Arsenal is looking more and more attractive by the day for Luis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Odd stuff going on with Jackson Martinez. His agent just told Sky that Napoli and the player have reached an agreement but that they have to meet the 40 million euro release clause. Problem is that the 40 million, it has transpired today, is little more than a gentlemans agreement between player and club and as a verbal clause does not really mean anything. Why on earth would Porto agree to such a thing???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bale going to Madrid must mean any deal for Suarez is off?
    Suarez going to Madrid was never on.

The most likely scenario with Suarez at this stage is that he remains at Liverpool for another season with the hope he can play his way into the interests of a club with Champions League football.

Suarez going to Madrid was never on.

The most likely scenario with Suarez at this stage is that he remains at Liverpool for another season with the hope he can play his way into the interests of a club with Champions League football.

A bit like Benteke. He pushed a year too soon.

Suarez has easily done enough to earn a move to any club based on his performances. The thing turning clubs off him is all the baggage that comes with him, and I don't know if a 30 game spell (he can't play the first 8) really does enough to dispel those fears even if he stays out of trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its why i have so much hate for R. Madrid

CSF wrote: »
    Suarez has easily done enough to earn a move to any club based on his performances. The thing turning clubs off him is all the baggage that comes with him, and I don't know if a 30 game spell (he can't play the first 8) really does enough to dispel those fears even if he stays out of trouble.

Is it not first 6? Minus a carling cup match = 5 league games

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Is it not first 6? Minus a carling cup match = 5 league games

You'd know better than me, probably is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

population wrote: »
    A bit like Benteke. He pushed a year too soon.

Well he's there 2 and a half years so he's entitled to request a move I'd say.
    However he hasn't put in a request AND he signed a new contract last year which he shouldn't have if he anticipated leaving.

JPA wrote: »
    Well he's there 2 and a half years so he's entitled to request a move I'd say.
    However he hasn't put in a request AND he signed a new contract last year which he shouldn't have if he anticipated leaving.

Is it not 1 year and a half? Some would argue after signing the aforementioned contract that he really isn't entitled to request a move but that's modern football I guess. I just think that he really wants Madrid and one more year of really producing the goods may have brought them to the table. He badly needs a solid and utterly uncontroversial season imo. Anyway we should probably consign this to the Suarez thread. Any interesting Championship signings lately? It is kicking off soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

If he really wants to go to Madrid he should hand in a transfer request as he is contractually allowed to do so.

EDIT - forgot about the Suarez thread. Good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

population wrote: »
    Odd stuff going on with Jackson Martinez. His agent just told Sky that Napoli and the player have reached an agreement but that they have to meet the 40 million euro release clause. Problem is that the 40 million, it has transpired today, is little more than a gentlemans agreement between player and club and as a verbal clause does not really mean anything. Why on earth would Porto agree to such a thing???
    Doesn't that mean that there is no actual release clause on paper. Works both ways so Porto are in a good situation.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Absolute insanity.

Assuming it's true, don't trust Sky really.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

KingdomYid wrote: »
    They are no longer a reliable source as far as I am concerned, they are just trying to up their viewing ratings. I am really falling out of love with football tbh.

Were they ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Marca reporting that Daniel Levy is asking for 145 million euros (£125m)!

This is just getting more and more ridiculous!

http://www.marca.com/2013/07/30/futbol/equipos/real_madrid/1375191857.html?a=0cb71896ff128ad52c9d55e47ff7674d&t=1375211159

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Morzadec wrote: »
    Marca reporting that Daniel Levy is asking for 145 million euros (£125m)!

This is just getting more and more ridiculous!

http://www.marca.com/2013/07/30/futbol/equipos/real_madrid/1375191857.html?a=0cb71896ff128ad52c9d55e47ff7674d&t=1375211159

I'd say that's just Perez feeding Marca lies.

Oh look, Spurs were asking for €145m but I managed to get him for just €100m, aren't I great? :pac:

eagle eye wrote: »
    Doesn't that mean that there is no actual release clause on paper. Works both ways so Porto are in a good situation.

Never thought of it like that. Good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

http://www.football-italia.net/36975/andujar-gomez-major-loss

Won`t make many headlines but Alejandro Gomez going to Metalist Kharkiv is such a poor move for him .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Blatter wrote: »
    I'd say that's just Perez feeding Marca lies.

Oh look, Spurs were asking for €145m but I managed to get him for just €100m, aren't I great? :pac:

Think Levy and Perez would come out gloating in that case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Spurs are valued at £332m according to Forbes. So that's only just over 25% of the valuation of the club that Real Madrid have offered for 1 player.

Sort of like the Irish housing market circa 2007; there has to come a point in time where the figures just don't make sense anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

cson wrote: »
    Spurs are valued at £332m according to Forbes. So that's only just over 25% of the valuation of the club that Real Madrid have offered for 1 player.

Sort of like the Irish housing market circa 2007; there has to come a point in time where the figures just don't make sense anymore.

insert some weak ass joke about Andy Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

TBF to Real they're buying nearly 90% of the team in Bale anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Conor Clifford... any good? He got an Ireland call-up a while back didn't he?

Looks like he's signed up with my mob (Southend United) in League Two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

IF Real Madrid have bid £85m then Levy would be dumb to refuse it (or the Spurs ownership for not demanding he accepts it).

I'm ready to laugh heartily at Levy being painted as some type of hard nosed savant for holding onto Bale in the face of a world record transfer fee.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Conor Clifford... any good? He got an Ireland call-up a while back didn't he?

Looks like he's signed up with my mob (Southend United) in League Two.

There was hope for him when he was brought over years ago that he may feature but as by product of our youth system we often let through decent talents as we have so much at the club, I think he'll go on to have a decent enough career anyway, I dont think it will be at the EPL level but I suppose time well tell.

I remember the odd youth game where he'd boss the game from CM, very compossed on the ball, decent pasing range, got about the pitch to close space and make it diffcult for the opposition, he was also the youth team captain at 16/17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Barton to Everton?
    Joseph Barton ‏@Joey7Barton 8m

Once a blue...

8m would be mad, isnt it being reported that theyve offered 15million to Wigan for McCarthy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

GavRedKing wrote: »
    8m would be mad, isnt it being reported that theyve offered 15million to Wigan for McCarthy?

He just tweeted it 8 minutes ago. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

GavRedKing wrote: »

....is that not 8 minutes ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Johner wrote: »
    Barton to Everton?

Paves the way for Fellaini to be sold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

He just tweeted it 8 minutes ago. :p

I've just checked Barton's account and the price has gone up to 15m :eek:

/facepalm.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Funny how he harped on about marseille being 'in his blood' and all that lark after a wet week of being there and how a deal was in place for a permanent move. No cl in the sunny south of france for you joey, delighted. Ill stop there :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

£15m is an insane amount for James McCarthy.

Really does appear to be silly season with the quoted fees for players this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Barton to Everton?

No...just no.

Firstly I'm not sure hes's good enough anymore (despite him being the exact sort of player that Everton need)

Secondly, he's poison, and would potentialy ruin what has been a harmonious dressing room for the best part of 7 or 8 years. This has alway been a source of pride for Evertonians and I really can't see it happening. If Martinez is considering it, hopefully someone with influence will have a word in his ear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I doubt Martinez would be in for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    IF Real Madrid have bid £85m then Levy would be dumb to refuse it (or the Spurs ownership for not demanding he accepts it).

I'm ready to laugh heartily at Levy being painted as some type of hard nosed savant for holding onto Bale in the face of a world record transfer fee.
    Funny, because most Spurs fans are laughing at the ridiculous claims papers have made in the past 2 weeks with absolutely no credible source, much less a quote from any side. What's worse are the goons that actually believe all the drivel. As bad are Real are, there's no way they've offered £85m for Bale, much less Di Maria and Coentrao plus £50m, which equates to about £100m.

£15m is an insane amount for James McCarthy.

Really does appear to be silly season with the quoted fees for players this summer.

I would have guessed 10 max and even that is being very generous, McCarthy is a good player but can he improve to the point that in 3-4 years Everton could sell him on for more then 15 million?

Hopefully for the Republic he can as he'll have improved as a player if thats the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Have a bad feeling James McCarthy is going to be stuck in the Championship with Wigan, very good player and I think he will have a great career, but not worth £15m right now. Hope he really impresses or Wigan get promoted again, for Irelands sake we need McCarthy playing in the PL as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

THFC wrote: »
    Funny, because most Spurs fans are laughing at the ridiculous claims papers have made in the past 2 weeks with absolutely no credible source, much less a quote from any side. What's worse are the goons that actually believe all the drivel. As bad are Real are, there's no way they've offered £85m for Bale, much less Di Maria and Coentrao plus £50m, which equates to about £100m.

I agree, hence my "IF". You know yourself however that if Real did offer that and Levy turned it down some would be praising him for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement