Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

That's ludicrous money for McCarthy.

£9m seems about right to me.

Would love him at Newcastle, excellent player.

Barton at Everton would be lunancy. He doesn't have the pace or the engine anymore imo. He was fine at Newcastle 3 years ago but not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

THFC wrote: »
    Funny, because most Spurs fans are laughing at the ridiculous claims papers have made in the past 2 weeks with absolutely no credible source, much less a quote from any side. What's worse are the goons that actually believe all the drivel. As bad are Real are, there's no way they've offered £85m for Bale, much less Di Maria and Coentrao plus £50m, which equates to about £100m.

Well there's obviously something to it, given the Guardian, BBC and the Times have all had stories on it. Perhaps not that bid, but there's something there.

Barton going to Everton after mooning them a few years ago would be some turnaround!

On Bale the figures being thrown around are insane. Even with inflation on Zidane's fee back in the day make it just nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I agree, hence my "IF". You know yourself however that if Real did offer that and Levy turned it down some would be praising him for it.
    Aye, but every club has it's share of idiots. Most would acknowledge that turning down £85m is ridiculous, which is why I don't think Levy would have rejected an offer like that.

I don't think any offer has come in because Tottenham have always disclosed offers to the public, most recently the £40m that came in for Modric during the summer that we had no intention of selling him.
    Well there's obviously something to it, given the Guardian, BBC and the Times have all had stories on it. Perhaps not that bid, but there's something there.
    And where have all these stories originated from? I'm not getting into again as I've already gone through it on this thread, but all those pieces either originate from Marca, or they're articles debating whether or not Bale should go.

It is absolutely baffling that all these stories of Bale going to Real have come about with absolutely no credible source, much less a quote. In 32 days time Bale will still be a Spurs players, or else Tottenham will have ~£80m pound to their name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Aye, but every club has it's share of idiots. Most would acknowledge that turning down £85m is ridiculous, which is why I don't think Levy would have rejected an offer like that.

I don't think any offer has come in because Tottenham have always disclosed offers to the public, most recently the £40m that came in for Modric during the summer that we had no intention of selling him.

And where have all these stories originated from? I'm not getting into again as I've already gone through it on this thread, but all those pieces either originate from Marca, or they're articles debating whether or not Bale should go.

It is absolutely baffling that all these stories of Bale going to Real have come about with absolutely no credible source, much less a quote. In 32 days time Bale will still be a Spurs players, or else Tottenham will have ~£80m pound to their name.

So you don't think that the Guardian, BBC and the Times are credible enough to have their own sources for the similar information they're reporting?

And I don't know why people are so hung up on quotes all the time, that's not how journalism works a lot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

So you don't think that the Guardian, BBC and the Times aren't credible enough to have their own sources for the similar information they're reporting?

In a word. NO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Zidane is now at it regarding Bale, Utd fans will remember similar tactics of ex players, directors etc. trying to lure Ronaldo to the Bernabeu and talking him up in the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

So you don't think that the Guardian, BBC and the Times aren't credible enough to have their own sources for the similar information they're reporting?

And I don't know why people are so hung up on quotes all the time, that's not how journalism works a lot of the time.
    I feel like I'm repeating myself, but you have to look at the broader picture. All this stuff started when Marca came out with that outrageous article, and when did that come out? A few days after Bale left for China with Spurs, which, by itself, is reason enough to dismiss the whole story, never mind the fact that Marca published an extremely similar story regarding Modric the year before. But for the sake of argument we'll ignore that.
    Last summer Bale signed a contract extension until 2016, we can thus make the assumption that back then he had no intention of leaving this summer. At the end of this past season Bale's camp confirmed that Bale would not be going anywhere, thus we can also make the assumption that Bale had no intentions of leaving in May anyway. So, if it's true, and Bale did have a sudden change of heart, why have we heard nothing from the players camp, who surely would be trying to engineer a move for him? And if he did indeed have this change of heart why would he have gone to other side of the world with the club he no longer wanted to be with? This, and along with the fact that Bale has become somewhat of a poster boy for the PL overseas, most notably in the States, suggests that he indeed doesn't have any intention of leaving, or at the least, he hadn't any intention of leaving until recently, which again, doesn't make much sense. My money is still firmly on Bale being a Spurs player in 32 days time.

So, to say what KingdomYid has said, in a word, no. It's all stemmed from the Marca article. There is nothing other than pure speculation to suggest he is leaving. People use the term speculation far too easily these days so when speculation does arise people tend to confuse it with information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

KingdomYid wrote: »
    In a word. NO.

I'd bet a lot of money that there's a huge chunk of truth in it.

BBC and to a lesser extent the Times and Guardian, generally don't report this stuff without being briefed by either Spurs or Bale's camp. And the club/Bale would have definitely denied it if it wasn't true, to allow the sheer amount of false speculation wouldn't be healthy otherwise.

Marca do get fed a lot of stuff from Real but they do have a tendency to spoof and drag stories from the gutter, when it involves Real and incoming transfers they go into overdrive but its the kind of stories that dont sound to great for Spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

cson wrote: »
    £15m is an insane amount for James McCarthy.

Really does appear to be silly season with the quoted fees for players this summer.

And still some people wonder why and complain about more and more clubs looking abroad to sign players.

Should be more like £5m for McCarthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

So you don't think that the Guardian, BBC and the Times are credible enough to have their own sources for the similar information they're reporting?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jul/30/gareth-bale-tottenham-real-madrid

Look at the amount of times Bale is mentioned to be unhappy without any solid evidence. Any decent journalism requires references and facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/jul/30/gareth-bale-tottenham-real-madrid

Look at the amount of times Bale is mentioned to be unhappy without any solid evidence. Any decent journalism requires references and facts.

Are you serious? Any decent journalist requires their sources to be protected.

They've obviously been fed this stuff from someone. Who that person is and what their agenda is is another question but there's obviously more to this than a guy at the Guardian making a story up and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

References and facts? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Are you serious? Any decent journalist requires their sources to be protected.

They've obviously been fed this stuff from someone. Who that person is and what their agenda is is another question but there's obviously more to this than a guy at the Guardian making a story up and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

References and facts? :pac:

Where's the quotes from Bale then? Apparently he's "not in the right frame of mind to play" Has Bale said otherwise? No.

The Guardian reporting here isn't much better than Marcas gutter journalism. At least they don't fabricate quotes from Levy. That article annoyed me the most.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Paully D wrote: »
    And still some people wonder why and complain about more and more clubs looking abroad to sign players.

To put it in perspective. For in and around the £15M being brandied about for McCarthy, if it weren't for Chelsea's links with Vitesse, clubs could have got:

Marco van Ginkel for £9M. A star of the Eredivisie, awarded the Dutch Talent (Youngster) of the Year last season, featured in the Euro U21 this summer and has already played for the senior side. Tipped to be a starting XI player for Holland post-World Cup 2014. Someone who's position and style of play can be compared to McCarthy.. and is 2 years younger.

I like McCarthy as a player don't get me wrong, even if I think he's over-hyped by some , but £6M or so is about the right fee for him, especially considering Wigan's position now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Zidane is now at it regarding Bale, Utd fans will remember similar tactics of ex players, directors etc. trying to lure Ronaldo to the Bernabeu and talking him up in the press.

Barca and Real do that all the time. Barca did it with Mascerano, Real did it with Alonso. Neither are behind the door in speaking publicly about a player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The price on McCarthy's head is what it is because Wigan do not want to sell him, not because they feel its a fair price for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Where's the quotes from Bale then? Apparently he's "not in the right frame of mind to play" Has Bale said otherwise? No.

The Guardian reporting here isn't much better than Marcas gutter journalism. At least they don't fabricate quotes from Levy. That article annoyed me the most.

They don't have quotes from Bale. Why would they need quotes from Bale? They've obviously spoken with someone either close to Bale or close to one of the clubs.

Sports journalism wouldn't work if you could only write stories that have direct quotes. That's not how the system works. Agents, players and clubs all use the system. The key is trying to work out who is pushing the agenda.

An example is the below story. No direct quotes but I happen to have seen this story about this player enough times at enough clubs to be able to deduce that it is his Agent pushing a story to drum up interest in his client.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/8848295/transfer-news-several-championship-sides-are-chasing-derbys-theo-robinson

Do you really need a direct quote to work out that there's something to the story?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    To put it in perspective. For in and around the £15M being brandied about for McCarthy, if it weren't for Chelsea's links with Vitesse, clubs could have got:

Marco van Ginkel for £9M. A star of the Eredivisie, awarded the Dutch Talent (Youngster) of the Year last season, featured in the Euro U21 this summer and has already played for the senior side. Tipped to be a starting XI player for Holland post-World Cup 2014. Someone who's position and style of play can be compared to McCarthy.. and is 2 years younger.

I like McCarthy as a player don't get me wrong, even if I think he's over-hyped by some , but £6M or so is about the right fee for him, especially considering Wigan's position now.

It's a problem that the perception of EPL clubs having more money than other leagues has created. Other English clubs want their peers to pay up for players because they know they can afford it. Whereas foreign clubs are still happy to accept 'normal' fees as there isn't as much exorbitant money being ponied around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dempsey wrote: »
    The price on McCarthy's head is what it is because Wigan do not want to sell him, not because they feel its a fair price for him.

They simply can't keep him now they've been relegated.

I could see someone maybe paying up to £10 including add ons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

JPA wrote: »

£9,999,990 in add ons I hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

JPA wrote: »

Unless he has relegation clauses stipulated in his contract he has no other choice but to wait until Wigan agree on a fee with someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Steven Caulker about to complete his move to Cardiff for £9 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

McCarthy is worth more than the 5 or 6 million some people are saying. An established Premier League player who's only 22, and was consistently Wigan's best player last year, despite their relegation. In the market, £10 million would be a fair price imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

10 million tops but it would be a very risky buy for Everton. I can't see him improving to the point where there would be decent sell on value down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

zerks wrote: »

That's good money but Spurs could regret that. A player I really like but proved he was a good fit for Swansea when he was on loan there as a 1st choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

think they might regret that. good player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

NINE MILLION?!?!?! WTF

Corholio wrote: »
    McCarthy is worth more than the 5 or 6 million some people are saying. An established Premier League player who's only 22, and was consistently Wigan's best player last year, despite their relegation. In the market, £10 million would be a fair price imo.

What you could've gotten for £10m in the last 12 months:

Yaya Sanogo £0m
    Christian Benteke £5m (plus add-ons and a sell on percentage to Genk)
    Ashley Westwood £2m
    Brad Guzan £0m
    Yacouba Sylla £750k
    Antolin Alcaraz £0m
    Yoan Gouffran £1.4m
    400,000 bags of chips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

COYVB wrote: »

Yaya Sanogo £0m
    Ashley Westwood £2m
    Brad Guzan £0m
    Yacouba Sylla £750k
    Antolin Alcaraz £0m
    Yoan Gouffran £1.4m
    400,000 bags of chips

Should that not be 4 million bags of chips?

Should that not be 4 million bags of chips?

Not unless you know somewhere selling bags of chips for 20c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Bit better than bags of chips that cost 25 quid each :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

van ginkel info

if you would be bothered/don't mind/etc. would you do a brief scouting report on Matthias Ginter at freiburg if you know anything on him, he's being linked with arsenal, with Serdar Tasci a backup option if it fails

or any of the other germans (are you germans?) or regular bungesliga watchers, if you'd be assed either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

You need to look at your maths again

Unless of course I am reading it wrong and he means all those players plus 400,000 bags of chips.

You need to look at your maths again

£0m + £5m + £2m + £0m + £750k + £0m + £1.4m = £9.15m

£10m - £9.15m = £850k

£850k / £2.10 (approx cost of a bag of chips) = 404,761 bags of chips

Where's the error exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Ok the transfer thread has become a discussion about chips and the price of them??

WTF

Daddy or chips?

Ok the transfer thread has become a discussion about chips and the price of them??

WTF

Hey the price of nice chips is no trivial matter.

And if we bring a nice garlic chip and cheese into things......:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Kess73 wrote: »

Yummmmmm

Garlic and cheese chips..

You can add another 1.50 for that lol

Kess73 wrote: »

Or taco fries, unless you get them from Suopermacs or Abra then they're rank. :o

Yummmmmm

Garlic and cheese chips..

You can add another 1.50 for that lol

And some battered sausages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yaya Sanogo £0m
    Ashley Westwood Michu £2m
    Brad Guzan £0m
    Yacouba Sylla £750k
    Antolin Alcaraz £0m
    Yoan Gouffran £1.4m
    400,000 bags of chips
    FYP

batistuta9 wrote: »
    if you would be bothered/don't mind/etc. would you do a brief scouting report on Matthias Ginter at freiburg if you know anything on him, he's being linked with arsenal, with Serdar Tasci a backup option if it fails

or any of the other germans (are you germans?) or regular bungesliga watchers, if you'd be assed either

Freiburg were brilliant last season. A real breath of fresh air in how they approached the game under Streich (their coach) and I certainly for one enjoyed watching them play when I got the chance. Ginter was part of their defence, one of the meanest defences in the league I think statistically, certainly in regards to the size of their club anyway if you get me.
    Himself and Diagne were a very good defensive partnership.

Ginter playing wise an all round very good CB, but can be a bit naive at times on the ball. I remember him losing it a fair few times against us when we thrashed them thanks to me. His age has to be noted as you'd like to think he'll improve in that regards though.

If it's true about Arsenal's interest in him, and they don't sign him up, I fully expect another big club to come in for him next summer if not this. It's been said that Dortmund have sent scouts to have a look at him a fair few times last season. I do think if you guys signed him, he'd be better off being loaned back to Freiburg for another season at least as it might be a tad too early for him to go in as a starter at someone like Arsenal. Fair few people in German media think he'll be Hummels eventual CB partner for the national team too.

On Tasci, I really don't watch Stuttgart too much. Kess does however, or is certainly a fan of theirs and will be able to give a more detailed response than I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭CSF

WTF

Oh my

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

WTF

When something actually happens that isn't pathetic tapping up or some other sort of bull**** posturing we will discuss it.

Until then, chips.

eagle eye wrote: »
    FYP

Good shout, though I'd take out Gouffran instead of Westwood personally, that'd bring it closer to the £10m figure, and mean less chips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Freiburg were brilliant last season. A real breath of fresh air in how they approached the game under Streich (their coach) and I certainly for one enjoyed watching them play when I got the chance. Ginter was part of their defence, one of the meanest defences in the league I think statistically, certainly in regards to the size of their club anyway if you get me.
    Himself and Diagne were a very good defensive partnership.

Ginter playing wise an all round very good CB, but can be a bit naive at times on the ball. I remember him losing it a fair few times against us when we thrashed them thanks to me. His age has to be noted as you'd like to think he'll improve in that regards though.

If it's true about Arsenal's interest in him, and they don't sign him up, I fully expect another big club to come in for him next summer if not this. It's been said that Dortmund have sent scouts to have a look at him a fair few times last season. I do think if you guys signed him, he'd be better off being loaned back to Freiburg for another season at least as it might be a tad too early for him to go in as a starter at someone like Arsenal. Fair few people in German media think he'll be Hummels eventual CB partner for the national team too.

On Tasci, I really don't watch Stuttgart too much. Kess does however, or is certainly a fan of theirs and will be able to give a more detailed response than I could.

must have been intimated up against yourself :pac:

an arsenal site/blog are running the story but it's coming from a german based contributor/fan they have.

I doubt he's being signed to be a starter, is he better than mertesacker or koscielny at the minute?
    with vermaelen injured & djourou gone, they've only ignasi miguel there and he's in the last chance saloon at the club.
    Sagna has played CB on the tour and probably is ahead of miguel in playing there if needs be

i think if signed, he'd only be loaned back if another more experienced CB is signed too

the story reckons they were interested before and revived interest, after coquelin went there on loan & frieburg are supposed to not block him from joining a 'club like arsenal'. a fee of around £5mil with him having 2 years left on contract

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    must have been intimated up against yourself :pac:

an arsenal site/blog are running the story but it's coming from a german based contributor/fan they have.

I doubt he's being signed to be a starter, is he better than mertesacker or koscielny at the minute?
    with vermaelen injured & djourou gone, they've only ignasi miguel there and he's in the last chance saloon at the club.
    Sagna has played CB on the tour and probably is ahead of miguel in playing there if needs be

i think if signed, he'd only be loaned back if another more experienced CB is signed too

the story reckons they were interested before and revived interest, after coquelin went there on loan & frieburg are supposed to not block him from joining a 'club like arsenal'. a fee of around £5mil with him having 2 years left on contract

Difficult to say.

Better than Mertesacker and Kosc at the moment? Probably not. Certainly not better than Kosc anyway.

More talented than Mertesacker and Kosc? Yeah, definitely!

Said this in the Liverpool thread recently, but I was astonished with how decent Mertesacker was for you guys for the most part last season. I thought he'd be a disaster. If he can replicate last seasons form if not improve on it, I'd have him starting. I imagine if Ginter was signed, he'd be competing with him. At Freiburg he plays as the left center back.

What is the story with Vermaelen out of curiosity? Injuries aside, is he no longer considered a starting XI player amongst supporters? I honestly think he's very average, and I have long said that much to the annoyance of Gooner mates IRL. . I remember when Zonalmarking put up that first piece on him and his defensive frailties and being happy because someone else saw what I saw! :pac: IMHO, for the national team he wouldn't be starting whatsoever.

Advertisement