Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Difficult to say.

Better than Mertesacker and Kosc at the moment? Probably not. Certainly not better than Kosc anyway.

More talented than Mertesacker and Kosc? Yeah, definitely!

Said this in the Liverpool thread recently, but I was astonished with how decent Mertesacker was for you guys for the most part last season. I thought he'd be a disaster. If he can replicate last seasons form if not improve on it, I'd have him starting. I imagine if Ginter was signed, he'd be competing with him. At Freiburg he plays as the left center back.

What is the story with Vermaelen out of curiosity? Injuries aside, is he no longer considered a starting XI player amongst supporters? I honestly think he's very average, and I have long said that much to the annoyance of Gooner mates IRL. . I remember when Zonalmarking put up that first piece on him and his defensive frailties and being happy because someone else saw what I saw! :pac: IMHO, for the national team he wouldn't be starting whatsoever.

mertesacker surprised a lot of people, but yeah did quite well and has never been as bad as pundits/people make out, which is usually based on his pace.
    I think koscielnys' the better partner for him too because he doesn't wander forward as much as vermaelen and leave him exposed

mert. is also very good at providing an outlet for arteta/the midfield, recycling possession until somethings on.
    He supposedly has had a good influence on the squad too, team bonding, etc. whatever thats worth

Vermaelen? No, i don't think he is, not by many anyway. The majority if not all in the superthread & any arsenal related sites i'd look at would have kos & mert.
    going by his form last season (& kos'. too, when he got in) you see why. Some say the captaincy might have played a part but idk
    I'm not sure if vermaelen was every that good, he was probably better than what was there before him and looked good in his early time at the club & he scored a good bit too which may skew peoples opinions of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Caulker signs for Cardiff. Great signing for them, surprised bigger clubs weren't in for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Surprised he didn't get a chance at Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

They should have kept him . Kaboul , Dawson & Vertonghen ain't bad though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Ross Turnbull signs for Doncaster. Was Shay Given not meant to be joining them? Where will he go now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

COYVB wrote: »
    What you could've gotten for £10m in the last 12 months:

Yaya Sanogo £0m
    Christian Benteke £5m (plus add-ons and a sell on percentage to Genk)
    Ashley Westwood £2m
    Brad Guzan £0m
    Yacouba Sylla £750k
    Antolin Alcaraz £0m
    Yoan Gouffran £1.4m
    400,000 bags of chips

Bit of a cheap comparison to put free transfers in there, other factors determine those. Benteke is the only one as of now that looks a fantastic bargain, Sylla snd Westwood we'll see.

No idea why you put Alcaraz there, not a great defender at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Compared to the likes of Joe Allen then Westwood is the bargain of the century.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

According to Kuba, he rejected a move to Man City earlier in the summer, even going as far as to sign a new contract soon after it :)

Perhaps he was first choice before Navas was signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Tottenham Hotspur ‏@SpursOfficial 5m
    We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with Valencia for the transfer of Roberto Soldado subject to medical. #THFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Tottenham Hotspur ‏@SpursOfficial 5m
    We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with Valencia for the transfer of Roberto Soldado subject to medical. #THFC

That's just a superb signing for them. :(

• Advertisement

Spurs broke their transfer record twice this summer so far, good to see that .
    I'd love to see Bale stay one more year with one or two more signings (mainly at the back ) I could see them challenging for title .

Hell of a pickup for Spurs.

You'd imagine they'll spend the Bale money on a replacement, and a new CB and LB. They'll surely challenge for top 4 even without Bale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

be an even better signing if bale does not leave,still a great signing for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Be interesting to see how they line up. Bale isn't as good on the wing as through the centre and I've been wanting to see for a while how he does with other top players around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Liam O wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how they line up. Bale isn't as good on the wing as through the centre and I've been wanting to see for a while how he does with other top players around him.

I think it's increasingly clear that bale is on his way, but this signing should ensure that spurs soldier on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If they keep Bale theyll be well in with a shout of top 4 again this season.

I would have said prior to the Soldado signing that the top 4 would stay the same but bringing him in has added to SPurs and they could easily oust one of the top 4.

Cant wait for the season to k/o already.

Apperently they've agreed a fee of £104m

That's £104,000,000

That's a lot of bags of chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

carlop wrote: »
    I think it's increasingly clear that bale is on his way, but this signing should ensure that spurs soldier on.

Agreed, I think we are at the point where we could even speculate about his replacement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Agreed, I think we are at the point where we could even speculate about his replacement!

He was signed last January,Lewis Holtby and Chaidi will play on the left with Holtby in the hole

dahat wrote: »
    He was signed last January,Lewis Holtby and Chaidi will play on the left with Holtby in the hole

Can see Spurs playing 433 this season even if Bale stays .

Lloris
    Walker Kaboul Dawson Vertonghen/Bae
    Sandro
    Pailinho Dembele
    Lennon Soldado Bale/Chadli

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Out of interest does anyone have any significant doubts that Soldado will be able to do it in the Premier League? I've seen him play but only a handful of times.

I'd rate Soldado more so then Ade or Defoe or Dempsey when he was shoe horned into a CF role.

They improved their squad no doubt.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Out of interest does anyone have any significant doubts that Soldado will be able to do it in the Premier League? I've seen him play but only a handful of times.

I think the general consensus is that the EPL will suit him quite well.

If the supposed agreed deal for 100 mill + for Bale is true that is insanity.

dahat wrote: »

Having seen Holtby a fair bit (I'll pretty much watch any football whatsoever that is on TV! :D ) I've not seen anything to say he could replace Bale, not a similar type player IMO....

If I were a spurs fan (I really do like watching them, if I had a second team it would be them for sure) I would be asking Madrid about Di Maria, scary prospece of Di Maria on one side and Lennon on the other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

£104m for a football player is sickening garbage.

it makes you realise there is something very wrong with the world.

Depends on the team he goes to, if its a top team like Spurs are (with Bale) then he should get goals for sure, he is a very clever player around the 18 yard box and he looks to be physically able for it too.

I think he will be a hit ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Gas to think Gareth Bale is worth approximately 1.5 Aston Villas

Out of interest does anyone have any significant doubts that Soldado will be able to do it in the Premier League?

None whatsoever. He will score plenty of goals for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

QPR have signed Charlie Austin after missing out on Gary Hooper. Austin failed a medical at Hull, they will have to micromanage his shoulder and knee problems to get the best out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Dempsey wrote: »
    QPR have signed Charlie Austin after missing out on Gary Hooper. Austin failed a medical at Hull, they will have to micromanage his shoulder and knee problems to get the best out of him.

Disappointed Celtic didn't make a move for him, any idea on the fee?

SlickRic wrote: »
    £104m for a football player is sickening garbage.

it makes you realise there is something very wrong with the world.

Meh! In the absence of a capped, franchisee system the free market will be the free market. Eventually a player was going to go for £100m+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

RoryMac wrote: »
    Disappointed Celtic didn't make a move for him, any idea on the fee?

Undisclosed so I reckon its littered with addons and clauses. Not convinced that Celtic should be splashing the cash on someone that has fail a medical previously. QPR have the wealth to take the risk on him, Celtic dont, especially having to qualify for European Competitions. Dont anyone point out John Hartson, apples and oranges in this scenario!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

£15m for Alan Shearer? This is disgusting!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Meh! In the absence of a capped, franchisee system the free market will be the free market. Eventually a player was going to go for £100m+

With the EU's free market we'll probably never see a capped system in Europe, the FFP rules while in theory a good idea they do seem to lack a proper set of balls and someone to enforce them, not to mention clubs will figure out away to bypass certain rules and criteria set within the FFP regarding sponsorships and naming rights and the such.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Doncaster sign a member of One Direction.....bit speechless with that.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    the FFP rules while in theory a good idea they do seem to lack a proper set of balls and someone to enforce them
    Based on what?

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/aboutuefa/organisation/executivecommittee/news/newsid=1836831.html

Try googling some of the chaps involved, e.g. Charles Flint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

GTR63 wrote: »
    Doncaster sign a member of One Direction.....bit speechless with that.
    Might see a few young girls wearing Doncaster jerseys now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

If the supposed agreed deal for 100 mill + for Bale is true that is insanity.

Perez has lost his marbles at Real.
    In his desperation to impress after being reelected president he believes an outrageously expensive marquee signing like Bale will lay down a marker and put Barcelona in their place .

Its a case of the Emperors new clothes though ,Bale is grossly overrated and wont improve the team .
    Its money down the drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Taken from the Sky Sports site
    Shock transfer of the day - Doncaster have announced a deal for One Direction's Louis Tomlinson. Don't worry 1D fans, he's not leaving the band. He's been given the squad number 28 and will reportedly play for the reserves at least once in the coming campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

GavRedKing wrote: »
    With the EU's free market we'll probably never see a capped system in Europe, the FFP rules while in theory a good idea they do seem to lack a proper set of balls and someone to enforce them, not to mention clubs will figure out away to bypass certain rules and criteria set within the FFP regarding sponsorships and naming rights and the such.

Exactly, and the bigger clubs would still benefit over the smaller clubs. So would it really be financially fair? Without a straight cap on spending for all there will never be financial fair play.

Theres no doubting the guys on the panels credentials but will they be able to curtail some of the biggest clubs?

The big clubs are the ones pushing for it!

Which is exactly why it is likely to be much more toothless than fans like yourself* hope it will be!!

*i.e. fans of clubs that would be poised to benefit from the current big dogs being sanctioned or significantly restricted in their spending.

Why would Europe's most influential clubs wanting FFP to be effective make it toothless?

I'm all for it, and as you said the clubs have been making noises for the best part of 2 years about trying to fall in line with.

I just dont think it will have the kind of effect that some people have.

We wont see Swansea, for example, lift the Champions League in the next 15 years because of it.

The biggest clubs will remain on a plain so far above the rest they're impossible to catch.

FFP is purely to look after the teams who are already successful.

Why would Europe's most influential clubs wanting FFP to be effective make it toothless?

Turkeys vote 'no!' to Christmas shocker.

FFP doesn't exist to stop clubs from spending, it exists to stop clubs spending money they don't have.

FFP doesn't exist to stop clubs from spending, it exists to stop clubs spending money they don't have.

I'm aware of the theory, but the likes of City, Chelsea and PSG will find ways to blur the lines between what they have and haven't in terms of finance.

I know you really need to believe in this stuff as an Arsenal fan mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement