Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think he'll flop in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Neymar should not be a priority for Barca. 2 centre halves are what is needed.

Also, didn't Sid Lowe say the other day that Real madrid were on the verge of hijacking Neymar from Barca?

Still though, he looks quite the player, and if he lives up to the hype, and doesn't end up being another Kerisson, himself and Messi together will be frightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

money for Ronaldo to Chelsea. As short of evens now. :eek: Just a twitter rumour or something? Doesn't take an awful lot of money to shift these markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

gimmick wrote: »
    Neymar should not be a priority for Barca. 2 centre halves are what is needed.

Exactly.

It's probably the right club for Neymar but he isn't what Barcelona need at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Are you taking the percentage line here? For me Neymar is up there with the very best although still a bit raw and will show in Europe that he is one of the top five players in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Apologies for that lads. Should have put that Neymar link here instead of creating a new thread. Thanks Mods! :)

eagle eye wrote: »
    Are you taking the percentage line here? For me Neymar is up there with the very best although still a bit raw and will show in Europe that he is one of the top five players in the world.

Nope, just giving an opinion from what I've seen, read and heard.

He wouldn't be the first either so it's not exactly a crazy suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Rosell wants a signing that will define his term as president of the club, Neymar is that signing, much as Joan Laporta's was Ronaldinho.

I'm a big fan of Neymar. I don't think he can arrive soon enough at Barcelona. A problem with the squad is that all of the wide players are there simply to cater and supply for Messi. Neymar is a different kind of player, a bonafide star in his own right and someone who can take the pressure off Messi. I think it would be a great move for everyone concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Which is basically my point - out and out wingers are few and far between.

Of those "can play as wingers" names, Ribery and Robben are too old for a start and most, if not all, of the others are unavailable. Plus a lot play on the wrong side which only serves to narrow the pitch and that's already a big enough problem for City as it is.

The one I would really like is Reus; himself and Isco would be a fantastic pair to get taking all things into consideration (age, ability, experience etc).

A "get to the byline" winger isn't necessary, someone who can stretch the pitch is.

There is a rumour that Navas was also being targeted, whcih would further imply that Isco would be a Nasri replacement and Navas would be our winger. If those two came in you could easily see Augero up top with Silva & Navas either side out wide with Isco behind. Would mean Yaya would continue to play deep with Barry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Bookmarked.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Bookmarked.

By all means. It'd be boring if we all thought the same thing.

Have a listen to last night's Off The Ball Football Show with Tim Vickery. He spoke about Neymar not handling the pressure and expectation well when it comes to the national team.

It could very well be the same when he comes to Europe and he's put under the microscope week in, week out by a larger audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Some of the rumored transfers to Monaco are pretty wow. Hearing Falcao Tevez and Moutinho are on their way. Tbf if a club is going to feck big $$$$ at you there's few better places to live, certainly beats Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There is a rumour that Navas was also being targeted, whcih would further imply that Isco would be a Nasri replacement and Navas would be our winger. If those two came in you could easily see Augero up top with Silva & Navas either side out wide with Isco behind. Would mean Yaya would continue to play deep with Barry.

Navas had serious mental issues with travelling before. He couldn't play outside Sevilla earlier in his career. Deciding to live in a different country entirely would surprise me, although it's possible he's gotten over his problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Have a listen to last night's Off The Ball Football Show with Tim Vickery. He spoke about Neymar not handling the pressure and expectation well when it comes to the national team.

It could very well be the same when he comes to Europe and he's put under the microscope week in, week out by a larger audience.

Agreed, the standard of defending he comes up against in most games he's played is very average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Some of the rumored transfers to Monaco are pretty wow. Hearing Falcao Tevez and Moutinho are on their way. Tbf if a club is going to feck big $$$$ at you there's few better places to live, certainly beats Manchester.

Joao Moutinho joins a new club every 6 months according to the media. Must be one of the most thrown about names in recent transfer rumour history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If Neymar can't do it at Barca he'll flop and nobody will want him. Never see him play well against a good international team in a competitive game. Scoring tonnes of goals in Brazil League? Get a grip. Majority of players that play there arn't good enough for a top league. Scoring goals against them is hardly gonna be had for the likes of somebody with Neymars 'calibre'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Vickery is talking **** there though tbf, to me at least it does not seem that its the pressure that gets to him.

He plays under plenty of pressure at Santos too being their star man, he plays under pressure and expectation every week.

Edit: As an aside, Vickery has been pushing the psychological angle a while now, heres an article from earlier this year http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21409456, he acknowledges the ability is there, but thinks he is harming his own development staying in his comfort zone so long and may not have the confidence to excel in Europe

In fairness to Tim, I can see the rationale behind the idea he is harming his own development by not moving and playing better opponents week in week out.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Agreed, the standard of defending he comes up against in most games he's played is very average.

In the Brazilian league? Yep, plenty of **** ones, he plays against some decent ones too, and in the Copa, he would encounter plenty, and I mean plenty of terrible defences in Spain too, particularly given his skill set

eagle eye wrote: »

How can he be up there with the best when he's never played a decent team ?

How can he be up there with the best when he's never played a decent team ?

I wouldnt put him up there with the best right now, but he has all the tools to get there, it depends on attitude to me, he has a questionable temperment imo. He can often be petulant,selfish and sulky etc, (could be describing a young Ronaldo ;)) He has had his share of disciplinary problems also, he is very young though and if he can get the right attitude the sky is the limit.

He has played decent teams btw, just cause you dont rate them doesnt make Corinthians for example, a decent team, Chile? Italy? Do you at least rate Italy as a decent team?

• Advertisement

Italy of course are a great team! But what he does in games against Italy are a lot different to his fancy youtube clips that people go on about. As a barca fan someone asked me what I thought of Neymar my answer was simple : He's unproven. I wouldn't say he's **** or anything because I havn't seen him enough to say that

Italy of course are a great team! But what he does in games against Italy are a lot different to his fancy youtube clips that people go on about. As a barca fan someone asked me what I thought of Neymar my answer was simple : He's unproven. I wouldn't say he's **** or anything because I havn't seen him enough to say that

He assisted 1 of the goals in a 2-2 draw v Italy

He is unproven in Europe the same way Messi is unproven in England I guess. I am pretty sure both would do fine, but cant say for an absolute fact. :)

I think he should move, another one of Vickerys theories is that he is staying in Brazil so he will be at his peak come the 2014 WC rather then being at the end of a long season, in the same way that Scolari was saying the Brazil based players who played in the friendly v England had a disadvantage because they were just getting started with their season and were not match fit etc, the opposite will be the case for the WC

Not sure I agree with Tim, again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Barcelona would be better off going away and signing some one like Hummels its not as if they need Neymar, It's the defence thats wrecked this season with Puyol on his last legs and Pique is miles away from 2 years ago too

Barcelona would be better off going away and signing some one like Hummels its not as if they need Neymar, It's the defence thats wrecked this season with Puyol on his last legs and Pique is miles away from 2 years ago too

They do need someone to carry the attacking threat and take the pressure of Messi though.......

I agree though they should look at two centre backs as a higher priority

Barca want Thiago Silva apparently. Looking to give Adriano + money according to the barca twitter page. Also looking at Reina. Would love Hummels/Thiago to go to Barca.

Cant see why PSG would want to sell Thiago Silva though, not after what they did to sign him, they are hardly stuck for cash and are in the process of buying star players, not selling.

Be shocked if it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Wasn't it reported PSG paid around €40 million for Silva,what would it take Barca to get him? He signed a 5 year contract and PSG have bundles of money so unless there is a absolutely huge offer I cant see him leaving PSG.Much better and cheaper options out there for Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Barca have bundles of Qatari money too.

re Neymar it doesnt matter what he does until he does it in the Champions League. No disrespect to him or any other player, but the best players in the world play champions league football every season, there are some poor teams in it but even they have the best players available.

lol edit/ was thinking of the Cluj nojordselland etc but then i realised Man City fit that category too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mirror reporting Manchester City have agreed a €60m fee for Falcao. I hope someone in the Premier League signs him anyway, it'd be great to watch him every week (apart from the two where he'd be playing against your team) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

yabadabado wrote: »
    Wasn't it reported PSG paid around €40 million for Silva,what would it take Barca to get him? He signed a 5 year contract and PSG have bundles of money so unless there is a absolutely huge offer I cant see him leaving PSG.Much better and cheaper options out there for Barca.

Cheaper options availible yes but better? Can't get much better than Silva out there at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Many of the teams Neymar came up against in the Copa Libatadores last year tried to lock him down . One to two players constantly at him and for the most part, he still was the best player on the pitch. Many of the South American teams can properly defend too so he did well. Only Corinthians and Valez Sarsfield really succeeded. Even still, he scored against Corinthians in their semi final game. I very much recall one of the Corinthians man marking him and he had the game of his life. Shackled is the best way of putting it. Neymar went out of his way post-game to give him his props too that's how much impressed he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Montroseee wrote: »
    Cheaper options availible yes but better? Can't get much better than Silva out there at the moment.

probably worded that wrong but for the price he would cost I reckon there are better options.Cant see PSG letting him go for anything less than €50m .

yabadabado wrote: »
    probably worded that wrong but for the price he would cost I reckon there are better options.Cant see PSG letting him go for anything less than €50m .
    If Torres is worth that Thiago definetly is ;)

Paully D wrote: »
    Mirror reporting Manchester City have agreed a €60m fee for Falcao. I hope someone in the Premier League signs him anyway, it'd be great to watch him every week (apart from the two where he'd be playing against your team) :pac:

GB says United have deffo made a downpayment, gives them the right to know whats happening with him and match any offer etc, assume its bull**** :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Paully D wrote: »

Tevez is whoring himself out to clubs in France now,

Asked by French television station Telefoot about the prospect of joining newly promoted Monaco, he confirmed he would be open to the idea.
    "For me, Monaco is one of the largest French clubs, and any player would go there," he said.

"I have a one-year contract left at City and I am happy, and I love playing in the Premier League - but a project like Monaco I really like.

"I know [Claudio] Ranieri [Monaco coach] and he has proven he is a great coach so for me this would be great."

Likewise, he admits that PSG would equally be as desirable - a club he almost joined last season when he was in dispute with City.

"There was interest from PSG for me, and we talked with Leonardo, but we could not reach an agreement," he said.

"But it remains an interesting option as the French championship is moving very fast. If Leonardo called me, it's not a problem for me to come, really no problem to come to Paris and France."

Never knew France was nearer to Argentina than Manchester is:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Tevez is an out and out _______.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Striker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Mercenary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

To be honest, I've never understood why more players don't go to Monaco. Tax free salary and an amazing lifestyle on the Med.

Now they've got cash they'll be a very attractive proposition to many, I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

this is going to be the biggest summer transfer window ever imo
    some many big players possibly leaving & the new tv deal coming into play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Montroseee wrote: »
    Mercenary.

It's crazy that some people would actually move jobs because of money or location. Sure you wouldn't see it anywhere else but in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ancelotti asks to be left leave to go to Real.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Be interested to see if Bale moves with no CL next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Grid. wrote: »
    Be interested to see if Bale moves with no CL next season.

God help who ever goes in for him because I would hate to try and deal with Daniel Levy . He will get double his value !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Corholio wrote: »
    Ancelotti asks to be left leave to go to Real.

That sentence makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mars Bar wrote: »
    That sentence makes no sense.

:rolleyes:

like seriously?

Someone's keen

BKsdH4wCUAEinKP.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Corholio wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

like seriously?

Seriously. Left leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Seriously. Left leave?

I understood. English is just a medium of communication - the sentence made sense. I wouldn't waste time getting hung up on your perception of what is or isn't articulate.

And getting to the point - Ancelotti could be a great fit for Real. Would also open up a massive question for the PSG job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I understood. English is just a medium of communication - the sentence made sense. I wouldn't waste time getting hung up on your perception of what is or isn't articulate.

And getting to the point - Ancelotti could be a great fit for Real. Would also open up a massive question for the PSG job.

Jose to Chelsea
    Carlo to Real
    Rafa to PSG

Wheel keeps on turning. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement