Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm aware of the theory, but the likes of City, Chelsea and PSG will find ways to blur the lines between what they have and haven't in terms of finance.

I know you really need to believe in this stuff as an Arsenal fan mind.
    Chelsea don't need to blur the lines.

The guys tasked with bringing in FFP aren't idiots; they've a lot more experience of financial regulation than the boardsie posters who’ve spent all of 10 seconds coming up with ingenious schemes for getting round the rules... it's pretty well documented at this stage. Middle Eastern billionaires splurging on their branding vehicles isn’t proof that FFP is irrelevant.

As an Arsenal fan I don't need FFP to work, I need the club to sort its management out, as financially it is big enough to compete regardless. But I understand that as a proponent of Liverpool spending beyond their means I understand you need to believe it will fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Chelsea don't need to blur the lines.

The guys tasked with bringing in FFP aren't idiots; they've a lot more experience of financial regulation than the boardsie posters who’ve spent all of 10 seconds coming up with ingenious schemes for getting round the rules... it's pretty well documented at this stage. Middle Eastern billionaires splurging on their branding vehicles isn’t proof that FFP is irrelevant.

As an Arsenal fan I don't need FFP to work, I need the club to sort its management out, as financially it is big enough to compete regardless. But I understand that as a proponent of Liverpool spending beyond their means I understand you need to believe it will fail.

I guess we'll find out in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Bookmarked :pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Bookmarked :pac:
    Oh Gav, so you're one of those people :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd rate Soldado more so then Ade or Defoe or Dempsey when he was shoe horned into a CF role.

They improved their squad no doubt.
    The only thing I don't like about that deal is that Soldado is 28 and Spurs seem to have been investing in younger players and doing quite well. This is a breakaway from that, its a short term solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Where's the Bale for 104 million talk coming from? Had a quick look on my twitter feed and I see nothing so I'm assuming it's from poor sources

Oh Gav, so you're one of those people :pac:

If I can remember this thread in we'll say 5 years my life will have been an awful waste. :pac:

eagle eye wrote: »
    The only thing I don't like about that deal is that Soldado is 28 and Spurs seem to have been investing in younger players and doing quite well. This is a breakaway from that, its a short term solution.

Every now and again you need to break the mould and of all the players available and willing to go I think Spurs have done very well, if he fires Spurs to a top 4 or better next year then they'll add again and his age, at least for 3 or 4 seasons shouldnt matter to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews 33m
    Sky sources: Cardiff keen to sign West Brom's Peter Odemwingie #SSN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Really disappointing to see Michel Bastos leave Europe to go to the Middle East at only 30. Still a top player who did well the last 6 months at Schalke.

http://gulfnews.com/sport/football/michel-bastos-set-to-join-al-ain-1.1215860

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Oat23 wrote: »
    Really disappointing to see Michel Bastos leave Europe to go to the Middle East at only 30. Still a top player who did well the last 6 months at Schalke.

http://gulfnews.com/sport/football/michel-bastos-set-to-join-al-ain-1.1215860

I was shocked to find out he was 30. Honestly thought he was in his mid-20's at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews 33m
    Sky sources: Cardiff keen to sign West Brom's Peter Odemwingie #SSN

Somewhere in Birmingham, a man in a Range Rover is about to speed frantically to Cardiff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

If Diego Costa does indeed end up at Liverpool the Premier League had better brace itself for football's greatest troll. By the end of the season he'll make Suarez look like Bobby Moore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Costa isn't amazing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

DejcH1q.jpg

Soldado traveling to Spurs in style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Moneymaker wrote: »
    DejcH1q.jpg

Ryanair is the biggest carrier in Spain and the UK so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the only available flight to get over for a medical this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Moneymaker wrote: »
    DejcH1q.jpg

That pic was taken in Spain which would mean Soldado should be boarding the plane. Those people are gettin off the plane. They don't board/ unboard passengers that quick so I'm doubtful that was the plane he was boarding.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    That pic was taken in Spain which would mean Soldado should be boarding the plane. Those people are gettin off the plane. They don't board/ unboard passengers that quick so I'm doubtful that was the plane he was boarding.

Buzzkillington

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wow it was meant to be just a bit of humour. Jeez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Credit yiddo59 in the Spurs forum.

BQnA-A4CEAAD6f4.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Lighten up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

And he has 2 items of luggage. No way he was getting on the Ryanair flight with that :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Redknapp talkin about Remy lol
    Harry Redknapp on Loic Remy: "He's a top class player and he'll probably play for Brazil in the World Cup next year."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

MD1990 wrote: »
    Harry Redknapp on Loic Remy: "He's a top class player and he'll probably play for Brazil in the World Cup next year."

Fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Better than Messi

Newcastle have agreed a fee for Gomis according to SSN.

Also, Dortmund can confirm that they have signed my kid, Ömer to a contract.

BQql8_qCMAEOZnK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

To be fair he meant the Brazilian World Cup you know as it's in Brazil. I was listening to him on SSN. I did have to take a double take of it though :pac:

Palmeri on twitter :
    Levy has ben finally convinced to sell Bale (by the player himself) Finaly we have someone who will buy and someone who well sell.
    Price is still not defined, esp cause not defined if there will be also a swap or Real Madrdi will have to pay entirely. But its happening

Probably a pile of bo**ocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Palmeri on twitter :

Probably a pile of bo**ocks.
    I think Palmeri at this stage has been sufficiently debunked as a credible source.

If levy is going to sell he won't sell him because Bale convinced him it will be because the potential earnings he can bring to the club will be recouped elsewhere by re-investing the money he receives from Madrid or by Madrid simply paying over the odds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Price is still not defined, esp cause not defined if there will be also a swap or Real Madrid will have to pay entirely. But its happening

The indication coming out of Spain is that the bid -- if it exists -- is not exclusively a cash one.
    It's Angel Di Maria, Fabio Coentrao and $57 million in exchange for Bale.
    Implicit in all this is that Di Maria and Coentrao are worth $68 million combined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Emre Can is gone to Leverkusen from Munich for an undisclosed fee with a buyback option in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The indication coming out of Spain is that the bid -- if it exists -- is not exclusively a cash one.
    Implicit in all this is that Di Maria and Coentrao are worth $68 million combined.

Di Maria is worth 25m at the very least and Coentrao is a 15-20m player. If they can get those 2 and a chunk of change like is being reported along with the signing of Salgado they'll probably be significant better off than they were before with Bale and that's before spending the profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Liam O wrote: »
    Di Maria is worth 25m at the very least and Coentrao is a 15-20m player. If they can get those 2 and a chunk of change like is being reported along with the signing of Salgado they'll probably be significant better off than they were before with Bale and that's before spending the profit.

It's hard to believe that they'd both gladly decide to join as part of a swap though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

There won't be any profit when taking wages into account if that's the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Has he come out of retirement ?:D

Has he come out of retirement ?:D

Ha don't know how I said that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Paulinho, Chadli, Soldado, Angel Di Maria and Coentrao for Bale is a bloody great summer for Spurs without spending anything on transfer fees (though wages and signing on fees would be quite high you'd think)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I'm flabbergasted that people believe the Spurs might get Coentrao and di Maria as part exchange for Bale.

This isn't a computer game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Deal done between Tottenham and Real Madrid for Gareth Bale according to SSN twitter account

Edit: looks like its not the official Sky sports news account.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Deal done between Tottenham and Real Madrid for Gareth Bale according to SSN twitter account

Can't see anything??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i can't wait to see how Bale does at Real
    he should do very well imo
    i can him slotting into a RW position cutting in on his left
    the SSN tweet is a fake account btw

Diego Lugano gone to West brom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Can't see anything??

My bad, It was retweeted on my twitter feed. Wasnt from the official SSN twitter account. https://twitter.com/StupidFootball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Di Maria is a champions league player.
    It'd be a step down to join Spurs.
    United could do with his creativity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Ben Smith saying that Bale is not travelling with the squad for the pre-season game in Monaco.

This is gathering momentum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Morzadec wrote: »
    Ben Smith saying that Bale is not travelling with the squad for the pre-season game in Monaco.

This is gathering momentum...

Well it's going to happen, I think that has become obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Hopefully the Bale move is the big transfer that will get the window going with a chain reaction of big signings by other clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Hopefully the Bale move is the big transfer that will get the window going with a chain reaction of big signings by other clubs

With Tottenham being the beneficiaries I dunno. Especially if Di Maria gos in exchange

JPA wrote: »
    Di Maria is a champions league player.
    It'd be a step down to join Spurs.
    United could do with his creativity.

I was in favour of a move like that last month but with Nani now seemingly staying and Zaha and Januzaj shining in preseason I'd rather have a 3 behind the striker of Rooney(presuming he stays until something changes) Kagawa and Nani with Young, Valencia, Zaha and Januzaj as backup. I think that's deep enough. If Rooney goes though I'd be all for it.

I'd also love to see Coentrao at United, always been a big fan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement