Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Stars sensational angle on all this

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/330188/Real-to-follow-up-Bale-deal-with-stunning-Luis-Suarez-swoop-clearing-Ronaldo-s-Utd-move?
    Real to follow up Bale deal with stunning Luis Suarez swoop - clearing Ronaldo's Utd move

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Lugano is a great signing for WBA even at 32.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mike65 wrote: »
    Stars sensational angle on all this
    Real to follow up Bale deal with stunning Luis Suarez swoop - clearing Ronaldo's Utd move and Rooney to PSG who will sell Lavezzi to Arsenal which allows Podloski to realise his life long dream of flying to the moon allowing experienced astronaut Richard R. Arnold to fly to Mars where Real Madrid have first refusal on any young alien discovered.
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/330188/Real-to-follow-up-Bale-deal-with-stunning-Luis-Suarez-swoop-clearing-Ronaldo-s-Utd-move?
    Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

LOL!!!! ^^^^^

Yeah its like the story Chelsea are bashing United's door down to buy Rooney and want to offer Luiz and Mata free so they can go to dominate the Premier
    League with 'One up front' Wayne

L O L !!!! :D
    United fans seem to think Bale goes to Real....then they need to get rid of Ronaldo cheap.... dream on! American owners will never write a £80 million check for any player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Lads, who will score more goals next year, Roberto Soldado or Britt Assombalonga?

Serious question, I'm completely stuck on a fantasy football game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Liam O wrote: »
    I was in favour of a move like that last month but with Nani now seemingly staying and Zaha and Januzaj shining in preseason I'd rather have a 3 behind the striker of Rooney(presuming he stays until something changes) Kagawa and Nani with Young, Valencia, Zaha and Januzaj as backup. I think that's deep enough. If Rooney goes though I'd be all for it.

I'd also love to see Coentrao at United, always been a big fan.

That would be a disaster.
    United fans seem to think Bale goes to Real....then they need to get rid of Ronaldo cheap.... dream on! American owners will never write a £80 million check for any player.

Are you serious? It was published in the Daily Star. It's not what United fans think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Lads, who will score more goals next year, Roberto Soldado or Britt Assombalonga?

Serious question, I'm completely stuck on a fantasy football game.
    Assombalonga

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

JPA wrote: »
    Di Maria is a champions league player.
    It'd be a step down to join Spurs.
    United could do with his creativity.

Costa and Di Maria in the EPL? What is needed now is for someone to get Pepe in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

If Bale is really worth 85m pounds, he'd stay and win or come very close to winning the premier league with Spurs. Make them serious challengers.

Massively overrated and overvalued player imo but if he does join the circus I wish him nothing but success and hope he proves me wrong, for his sake alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

dfx- wrote: »
    Costa and Di Maria in the EPL? What is needed now is for someone to get Pepe in..

That'd be epic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

dfx- wrote: »

City are very interested in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The whole Clint Dempsey thing is a bit mad and out of the blue -

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/02/clint-dempsey-seattle-sounders-transfer-latest-news-rumors-tottenham-spurs-usmnt-usa/
    Clint Dempsey to Seattle: $9 million fee, $8 million salary sees Deuce back to MLS

All the money the Seattle Sounders have been banking with those huge CenturyLink Field attendances? They’ve paid off with one of the bigger transfer gets in Major League Soccer history, one that’s seen the club guarantee $41 million to bring U.S. international Clint Dempsey to Seattle.

Multiple sources within Major League Soccer have informed NBC Sports’ ProSoccerTalk that Tottenham Hotspur will receive a $9 million transfer fee for the U.S. captain’s services – roughly 95 percent of the £6 million Spurs reportedly paid for Dempsey last summer. To complete the unexpected move, Seattle have guaranteed the 30-year-old attacker $32 million over the next four seasons, making him one of the most expensive players in league history.

Dempsey’s base salary will eclipse that of David Beckham and Thierry Henry, though other facets of Beckham’s contract gave him a percentage of the Galaxy’s revenue. The $32 million, however, is the largest base salary commitment a player has ever received from an MLS franchise.

The $9 million transfer fee will also be the highest paid in league history and the second major purchase made by the Sounders this summer. Seattle paid La Liga’s Levante $4 million to get striker Obafemi Martins out of his contract.

As a Designated Player, the former New England Revolution attacker will not have to go through the allocation process, to which internationals like Sounder Eddie Johnson and newly signed Chivas USA defender Carlos Bocanegra were subjected when they returned to MLS.

Dempsey was originally seen flying to Seattle last night, with rumors of Seattle’s connection to the U.S. international circulating Thursday morning. On Friday, ESPN originally reported Dempsey’s agreement with Seattle, with ProSoccerTalk confirming the story shortly there after.

Dempsey is set to return to the United States after six-and-a-half seasons in the Premier League, all but one of which were spent at Craven Cottage. During his time in England, Dempsey scored 72 time in 268 all-competition appearances, including a 23-goal season in 2011-12 with Fulham.

Tottenham Hotspur acquired the former Cottager on transfer deadline day last August, with Dempsey immediately moving into André Villas-Boas’ starting lineup. While his playing time decreased as the season progressed, Dempsey still scored 12 times in 43 all-competition appearances, his third-highest goal total since leaving New England in 2006.

He joins a Seattle Sounders team that sit seventh in the Western Conference, threatening to miss the postseason for the first time in franchise history. The addition of Dempsey, however, will bolster an attack that’s 14th in Major League Soccer in goals scored, one that already features fellow Johnson and Martins.

How Dempsey fits with those two strikers remains to be seen; however, Thursday on Seattle-based radio station KJR, Sounders head coach Sigi Schmid said the team was looking for a central or attacking midfielder to fill the Designated Player spot freed up by Shalrie Joseph’s renegotiated contract. Capable of playing in an attacking midfielder’s role, Dempsey could allow Schmid to incorporate his new star without sacrificing any of his existing goal scorers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Xavi6 wrote: »

Shame to see him go if true, still has a few good years left in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Clint Dempsey is good enough to play for most teams in the PL still. Why is going back?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

JPA wrote: »
    Clint Dempsey is good enough to play for most teams in the PL still. Why is going back?!

He's going (closer to) home, and getting his salary doubled for his trouble. Why do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Why would anyone leave the Premier League??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Renn wrote: »

never miss an opportunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Renn wrote: »

Many different reasons- more money sometimes, move closer to family and friends, weather, boyhood clubs etc..

I know I'd rather live in Madrid or Monaco than Liverpool or stoke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

double GG wrote: »
    Many different reasons- more money sometimes, move closer to family and friends, weather, boyhood clubs etc..

I know I'd rather live in Madrid or Monaco than Liverpool or stoke.
    I'm guessing that was sarcasm, mocking the "best league in the world" line. One thing is for sure, he's not moving to the MLS from the EPL for footballing reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm guessing that was sarcasm, mocking the "best league in the world" line. One thing is for sure, he's not moving to the MLS from the EPL for footballing reasons.

Maybe he wants to win something. That's a footballing reason isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Quazzie wrote: »
    Maybe he wants to win something. That's a footballing reason isn't it?

Tottenham have a better chance than Seattle of Silverware this season imo. Although both are above Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Kold wrote: »
    Tottenham have a better chance than Seattle of Silverware this season imo. Although both are above Arsenal.

not often you can say that about about tottenham

You probably thought the same last year so I'll make sure to put too much weight behind your posts. :rolleyes:

You probably thought the same last year so I'll make sure to put too much weight behind your posts. :rolleyes:

Im sorry, did Arsenal win somethinh last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Im sorry, did Arsenal win somethinh last year?

Did Spurs..? Nope. Great logic though mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Did they not win PFA Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year?

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Did they not win PFA Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year?

Them awards go to players, but considering they're a one player club maybe they did win it.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

X7hMslX.jpg

Bale could beat these on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Them awards go to players, but considering they're a one player club maybe they did win it.

If you explain the joke, it loses its funny :p

• Advertisement

aaronh007 wrote: »
    If you explain the joke, it loses its funny :p

Apologies. I thought you were serious. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Here's a daft notion, maybe he wants to play football on a regular basis

AdamD wrote: »
    Did Spurs..? Nope. Great logic though mate.

Well then why are you bringing last year up? The poor logic is yours.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Here's a daft notion, maybe he wants to play football on a regular basis

He had a lot of games last yr. Paulinho is going to need cover and there isnt much between Dempsey and Sigg. He probably had a word with AVB though and was told he was surplus.

Best of luck to him. Didnt have his best season for us but worked hard.

He didn't. I did.

Anyways. Just a quick thought. If Spurs are worth 323M and Bale is worth 104M. Why doesn't someone buy Spurs for 323 then sell Bale and sell the club for 300. It's a nice profit for a years work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Because the past is a rather good predictor of the future

He didn't. I did.

Anyways. Just a quick thought. If Spurs are written 323M and Bale is worth 104M. Why doesn't someone buy Spurs for 323 then sell Bale and sell the club for 300. It's a nice purifier for a years work.

Because Levy sees potential in Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

He had a lot of games last yr. Paulinho is going to need cover and there isnt much between Dempsey and Sigg. He probably had a word with AVB though and was told he was surplus.

Best of luck to him. Didnt have his best season for us but worked hard.

Irrelevant point tbh. Going forward the gametime he expects to get is what matters, not last season. His gametime is definitely gonna be reduced so he'd be foolish not to leave considering the offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    X7hMslX.jpg

Gomez was such a good signing at that price, he's better than some lads sold at nearly twice that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Sorry if this has been reported already but.....

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/8853161/Transfer-news-Clint-Dempsey-on-way-to-America-as-Spurs-agree-fee-with-MLS

Strange one, I'd be tring to move on Adebayor if anyone! Dempsey was decent last season, I know Soldado is going there but Dempsey is adapable, another strange one from Spurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Have you considered that Dempsey simply wanted out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Have you considered that Dempsey simply wanted out?

Bit to early to be doing the 'final pay day' thing ain't it? He is only 30?

Still another 1-2 seasons at the top for him? But yeah, if he wanted out fair enough.....

Bit of a waste though :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Still another 1-2 seasons at the top for him? But yeah, if he wanted out fair enough.....

World Cup year, he needs to be playing because the US have a lot of attacking options at their disposal. Regualr MLS will keep him sharp and he'll get lots of media attention as a 'marquee' signing Seattle.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

World Cup year, he needs to be playing because the US have a lot of attacking options at their disposal. Regualr MLS will keep him sharp and he'll get lots of media attention as a 'marquee' signing Seattle.

Indeed. It doesn't do any harm to Donovan playing in the MLS, the guy always looks sharp playing for the national team no matter the quality of opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

spot on imo I was just about to post the exact same. & wish him all the best in MLS:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Indeed. It doesn't do any harm to Donovan playing in the MLS, the guy always looks sharp playing for the national team no matter the quality of opposition.

Yep and Donovan had a very good Gold Cup which should cement his WC place if they get there, then theres Wondolowski, Gomez, Gordon, McInerney, Bruin etc etc on top of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Not really. With the greatest of respect to Spurs, bar a decent cup run, they aren't going to win any trophies this year and his playing time will be limited anyway. So if he can earn a comparable wage while living closer to his family and get more game time then why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Also, Clint Dempsey signing for the Sounders is absolutely huge for the MLS. Everybody knows he can do it in Europe but he has chosen to play in the States, the calibre of players playing in the league has been rising steadily since Beckham arrived and this is another jump. Seattle can now boast an attacking 3 of Eddie Johnson, Obafemi Martins and Clint Dempsey, couldn't have imagined that when they joined the league in 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

He didn't. I did.

Anyways. Just a quick thought. If Spurs are worth 323M and Bale is worth 104M. Why doesn't someone buy Spurs for 323 then sell Bale and sell the club for 300. It's a nice profit for a years work.

Because you can't just take £104 million out of a company and put it in your pocket straight away with jigging the books a bit ;)

Not to mention the outcry it'd cause :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

X7hMslX.jpg

I know he's no where near as skilled and will probably only touch the ball once or twice in the entire match but Gomez will likely change more matches than Bale will. I say that because somehow. Gomez. Just. Scores. :o

Advertisement