Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Summer Transfer Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

jonny666 wrote: »
    Will be a shame to see another Irish player drop from the PL.

McClean isn't Premiership standard. If he starts regularly at Wigan it will be a good thing for us.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

jonny666 wrote: »
    Will be a shame to see another Irish player drop from the PL.

He's far better off in the Championship. Wouldn't be getting games at all at Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Think that's a really good move for McClean!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Good move for him IMO. Will have first team football for the year for a team who should gain promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    McClean isn't Premiership standard. If he starts regularly at Wigan it will be a good thing for us.

Ya can't really say that yet IMO as even though he had a bad year last season, he was flying the previous year. Good move for him though as even though the championship is a decent enough standard league, McClean should be able to get his confidence and form back if he is good enough that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Ya can't really say that yet IMO as even though he had a bad year last season, he was flying the previous year. Good move for him though as even though the championship is a decent enough standard league, McClean should be able to get his confidence and form back if he is good enough that is.

Because his extremely limited qualities and abilities got found out by Premiership level scouts and coaches. He's a one trick pony with an inconsistent final ball. I'm not even sure he'll set the Championship alight long term, but he might be good enough to get a few contracts there over the remainder of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport 1m

Barcelona submit a bid to Chelsea for Brazilian defender David Luiz, reports @richard_conway. More soon: http://bbc.in/15MPMpm

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Luiz and Pique as a centre back pairing would make for some entertaining games.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I guess they need to replace Puyol's hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I have a feeling my health insurance is about to go up in the near future...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Luiz and Pique as a centre back pairing would make for some entertaining games.

They already struggle coping with counter attacks because 3 of their 4 defenders are prone to wandering, at this rate their only players in their half when they other team breaks will be Biscuits and Valdes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Because his extremely limited qualities and abilities got found out by Premiership level scouts and coaches. He's a one trick pony with an inconsistent final ball. I'm not even sure he'll set the Championship alight long term, but he might be good enough to get a few contracts there over the remainder of his career.

Still serious question marks over his attitude too imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

astonaidan wrote: »
    All them combined wont sell as much jerseys as Bale, who will make the money back through merchandise

Teams make feck all from jersey sales. Not enough to cover Bale's wages for 6 months, never mind actually make the team money - and that'd be for TOTAL jerseys sold in a season, not ones with Bale on the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

COYVB wrote: »
    Teams make feck all from jersey sales. Not enough to cover Bale's wages for 6 months, never mind actually make the team money - and that'd be for TOTAL jerseys sold in a season, not ones with Bale on the back

Its not just jersey sales though, its new sponsors willing to join up because theyed have Bale on board, new T.V. deals, merchandise with Bale on it, its much more then just jersey sales but I dont think Bale is as marketable as CR7 was then or ever will be for that matter.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Its not just jersey sales though, its new sponsors willing to join up because theyed have Bale on board, new T.V. deals, merchandise with Bale on it, its much more then just jersey sales but I dont think Bale is as marketable as CR7 was then or ever will be for that matter.

Again though, it's not enough to cover wages, never mind transfer fee. Real Madrid aren't the kind of club who need a marquee signing to bring in big sponsorship deals. Signing Bale won't swing it one way or the other for any prospective agreements, same goes for TV deals, they're massive already and someone like him won't make that much of a difference - certainly not enough to pay for the fee, or even recoup a meaningful amount of it.

And for miscellaneous merchandise, see the jersey comment... there's nowhere near as much money to be made from it as people seem to believe. No clue where this generally accepted idea that clubs can make back transfer fees from merchandise sales (usually trotted out when a player for the far east joins someone), but it's so far wide of the mark it's ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Again though, it's not enough to cover wages, never mind transfer fee. Real Madrid aren't the kind of club who need a marquee signing to bring in big sponsorship deals. Signing Bale won't swing it one way or the other for any prospective agreements, same goes for TV deals, they're massive already and someone like him won't make that much of a difference - certainly not enough to pay for the fee, or even recoup a meaningful amount of it.

And for miscellaneous merchandise, see the jersey comment... there's nowhere near as much money to be made from it as people seem to believe. No clue where this generally accepted idea that clubs can make back transfer fees from merchandise sales (usually trotted out when a player for the far east joins someone), but it's so far wide of the mark it's ridiculous

Exactly what I tried to say a few pages back, except clearer. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

There is a conspiracy theory (I know, I know:pac:) that's being mentioned on Twitter and indeed over on the SSC, but apparently as a result of that partnership agreement we signed with Real last season (or whatever it was), they would publicly pursue Bale this season lauding him as one of the best players in the world. As a result Tottenham would have "the best player" in the PL, increasing viewers from around the world, especially in America where Spurs are already very popular and where Bale is the poster boy for the PL.

Wishful thinking I know, but it does make sense as there as been nothing concrete to support the claims. Also, the apparent bids for Bale have been ridiculous, and it wouldn't surprise me if Levy orchestrated such a clever marketing ploy.

Either way, whatever happens as a result of this has gained huge advertising for both Bale and Tottenham. Tottenham are creating (or at least trying to create) a global brand, starting with the US, and Bale is central to that, which further reinforces my belief he will be at Spurs come September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

THFC wrote: »
    There is a conspiracy theory (I know, I know:pac:) that's being mentioned on Twitter and indeed over on the SSC, but apparently as a result of that partnership agreement we signed with Real last season (or whatever it was), they would publicly pursue Bale this season lauding him as one of the best players in the world. As a result Tottenham would have "the best player" in the PL, increasing viewers from around the world, especially in America where Spurs are already very popular and where Bale is the poster boy for the PL.

Wishful thinking I know, but it does make sense as there as been nothing concrete to support the claims. Also, the apparent bids for Bale have been ridiculous, and it wouldn't surprise me if Levy orchestrated such a clever marketing ploy.

Either way, whatever happens as a result of this has gained huge advertising for both Bale and Tottenham. Tottenham are creating (or at least trying to create) a global brand, starting with the US, and Bale is central to that, which further reinforces my belief he will be at Spurs come September.
    Man, don't set your hopes too high!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

THFC wrote: »

This kind of delusion would be to much even for Liverpool fans.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Postiga to join Valencia pending a medical.

Some downgrade from Goldado.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Postiga to join Valencia pending a medical.

Some downgrade from Goldado.

Boy that shows that Spain is in a recession more than spanish unemployment rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

CSF wrote: »
    Man, don't set your hopes too high!!!
    This kind of delusion would be to much even for Liverpool fans.
    Shush, it's all I've got left:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Its not really, Beckham paid back his transfer fee by the beginning of the next season (large at the time)

Ronaldo wouldnt be far off, the market that jerseys and merchandise is aimed at isnt football fans. Its women and ummm ladyboy like men. Ronaldo and Beckham have a value to any product in that they are good looking fit blokes.

Fcuked if i know how people think Bale will offer that marketing value to Real. Modric at least offers footballing ability :D

But it does exist in the "face of company" marketing ****e you see everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Man utd set to offer 30m for fellaini and baines. Would take at least 40m before Everton cash in id imagine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Both would be improvements for Man Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I call bullshît on that ,with Fellaini having a 22m release clause that leaves only 8 million for Baines & we've supposedly already had a 12m bid rejected for him .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Jax Teller wrote: »
    I call bullshît on that ,with Fellaini having a 22m release clause that leaves only 8 million for Baines & we've supposedly already had a 12m bid rejected for him .

There was a lot of talk that Moyes is trying to get Fellaini for cheaper than his buyout clause though. £30m opening offer for the two of them is what you'd expect, maybe a deal can be done for around £35m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Postiga is some chancer.

Liam O wrote: »
    Postiga is some chancer.

I'm not fan of him myself, but to be fair to him, he did well last season with Zaragoga. 14 goals for a team that relegated as pretty much as good as he could have done.

Just reading a few sources, the deal totals to around €3M with a 500K add on if scores over 15 goals this coming season. I hope for Los Che sake, he's not the only signing they make despite their financial troubles though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Blatter wrote: »
    There was a lot of talk that Moyes is trying to get Fellaini for cheaper than his buyout clause though. £30m opening offer for the two of them is what you'd expect, maybe a deal can be done for around £35m.

Highly unlikely. No need to sell Fellaini for less than his clause and Baines won't force a move.

They could have done this deal a month ago if they wanted to. £35m would equal their initial offer for Baines and Fellaini's clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Man utd set to offer 30m for fellaini and baines. Would take at least 40m before Everton cash in id imagine

Very underwhelming for Manchester United if they were to sign those two, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

The source of Wayne Rooneys shoulder injury revealed..

1098352_611775292187653_159430150_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Paully D wrote: »
    Very underwhelming for Manchester United if they were to sign those two, IMO.

Yep agreed. If we signed another midfielder I wouldn't mind but if those two were our business id be disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Couldn't disagree more. Two fantastic players in positions that have been a problem area for United over the last few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Blatter wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more. Two fantastic players in positions that have been a problem area for United over the last few seasons.

I'd like to see Buttner given more of a chance tbh.
    Looks very promising going forward, and even though he can be a bit lax at the back I think he can improve in that area.
    Could turn out to be a real top player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Junior D wrote: »
    I'd like to see Buttner given more of a chance tbh.
    Looks very promising going forward, and even though he can be a bit lax at the back I think he can improve in that area.
    Could turn out to be a real top player

You think? Every time I've seen him he's been shite bar the odd run forward.

They'd be better off giving Fabio another shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You think? Every time I've seen him he's been shite bar the odd run forward.

They'd be better off giving Fabio another shot.

I think he does have the potential, yeah. I saw him a few times with Vitesse as well and he looked very good to me anyway.
    I think if he can tighten up defensively he could be a very good player considering how good a left peg he has and how much he can offer going forward.

I'd personally rate him higher than Fabio, always thought Fabio was a bit overrated myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Forest have agreed a deal with Celtic to bring centre-half Kelvin Wilson back to Nottingham for a fee of £2.5m. The deal is subject to Wilson agreeing contract terms and passing a medical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Junior D wrote: »
    I think he does have the potential, yeah. I saw him a few times with Vitesse as well and he looked very good to me anyway.
    I think if he can tighten up defensively he could be a very good player considering how good a left peg he has and how much he can offer going forward.

I'd personally rate him higher than Fabio, always thought Fabio was a bit overrated myself!
    Fabio started a Champions League Final at twenty and played well in it. There's no way that Buttner's better than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its not really, Beckham paid back his transfer fee by the beginning of the next season (large at the time)

Ronaldo wouldnt be far off, the market that jerseys and merchandise is aimed at isnt football fans. Its women and ummm ladyboy like men. Ronaldo and Beckham have a value to any product in that they are good looking fit blokes.

Fcuked if i know how people think Bale will offer that marketing value to Real. Modric at least offers footballing ability :D

But it does exist in the "face of company" marketing ****e you see everywhere.

in some thread here someone said the club get a higher percentage from shirts sold in the club shop or official stores, compared to other sports shops/whatever. Either way the money a club gets from a shirt sale is very small

Beckham cost €35 at the time, going by this article below he would've had to sell 2,916,666.67 shirts.
    the data used is an average from '05-'09 but states the most jerseys sold by clubs (man u & Real) was between 1.2-1.5m a year.
    you might be including other incomes for beckham & ronaldo but jerseys certainly aren't doing it or even covering their wages

article done last summer http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2012/7/30/3201349/how-much-are-shirt-sales-really-worth
    A recent discussion (and many previous discussions) brought up the idea that Chelsea buying a hugely popular player like Neymar or Hulk could end up being a "bargain" no matter the price of the transfer fee, since shirt sales would cancel this out. There was talk back in the day that Real Madrid earned back Cristiano Ronaldo's 80 million euro transfer fee through shirt sales, and something similar was suggested regarding David Beckham's galactico move. But who exactly was talking, you ask? The answer is people.

Now, instead of making reactionary statements (like "people are idiots", for example), I decided to look into this shirt sales phenomenon in greater detail, to make sure any future claim could be supported by a logical argument backed up by facts and whatnot. See what I found after the jump.

There are many questions we need to ask when talking about shirt sales - How many shirts does the club sell? How much profit does the club actually make from those shirts? Who sells the most shirts?

First of all, let's see how much Chelsea earns for each shirt sold. There aren't very many numbers available for the profit stemming from shirt sales (or perhaps I'm too lazy to dig deep enough*), so I ended up using figures found in articles by the always excellent Swiss Ramble. As listed in this story about Barcelona and Ibrahimovic, the average profit that a club receives from selling one shirt is around 12 euros. That's not particularly much.

[* If you have dug up some better / more definitive sources, drop a link in the comments!]

But surely big clubs sell so many shirts that all the money adds up, right? Well, in this article about Paris Saint-Germain, we can see that Manchester United and Real Madrid sell the most shirts: 1.2-1.5 million a year. That info comes form a study by Dr Peter Rohlmann, who also has figures for other top clubs available here (EDIT: full article). In comparison, Chelsea sells 700-900 thousand shirts a year. These figures are averages of total sales from 2005 to 2009, so they may be slightly inaccurate today, but that's all we have to work with.

So what does this mean in terms of club revenue? Using the higher number in the range to calculate, that means Madrid makes 18 million euros a year from shirt sales. One might be thinking that's not bad at all - that money lets Chelsea buy both Gary Cahill and Marko Marin, or one Nicolas Anelka, or Romelu Lukaku with his add-ons. For simplicity** let's even assume Chelsea is as "popular" [read: profitable] today as Madrid was in the 05-09 period. So 18 million euros a year. But that's all shirt sales. We have to find how much money individual players bring in.

[** 18 million is more convenient for the subsequent calculations, a more accurate range for Chelsea would be 8.4-10.8 million]

How much is any one player worth? Well, on average, each player in an 18-man (what a nice round number) squad sells 83,333 shirts each year, earning the club 1 million euros annually. Obviously, some players are more popular than others - Didier Drogba would have sold more shirts than Yuri Zhirkov, for example - but that's why we use averages. What that means is no player at Chelsea sells enough shirts to offset their wages, which are all higher than 20,000 euros a week (which equates to about 1 million a year).

But what about a really popular player, you ask? Cristiano Ronaldo was apparently reported to have sold 1.2 million shirts in Madrid alone. Well, it's the Metro, and there are no quotes form any Madrid representative in the article, and it is suspiciously close to the total figures reported by Adidas above, so I don't really trust this report at all. But let's play with these numbers anyway:

Since the shirts only make 12 euros profit, that's 14.4 million euros in that year. Assuming steady sales over the life of a five year contract, that's 72 million euros. Hey, that almost pays off! But wait, big players earn big money - what is Cristiano Ronaldo's salary? Forbes lists his wages at 20 million US dollars, or 16.3 million euros, a year. So all the money Madrid make from Ronaldo shirts is used... to pay Ronaldo.

So then say Chelsea pays 40 million euros for Neymar, and matches his salary to that of David Luiz*** - somewhere near 30,000 pounds, or 38,000 euros, a week - around 1.5 million euros a year. To break even, Neymar would have to sell around 750,000 shirts each year of a five year contract, all while other players each sell over 83,000. That seems highly unlikely.

[***The source for Luiz's wages is a comment by our very own Graham MacAree]

It should also be noted that all these figures are still overestimates of profit for the club, for a number of possible reasons:

The figures used were total shirt sales, but many fans buy 'blank' shirts, or ones with customised names. Thus, the proportion and number of shirts attributable to individual players is less than calculated.
    As for steady sales over the length of a contract - if those supposed 1.2 million Madrid fans already have one Ronaldo shirt, would they buy another Ronaldo one the next year, or ever again? Probably not. That means any player will have to bring in new fans every year to keep up sales.
    It remains to be seen how many fans of a given player buy authentic shirts as opposed to replicas, which earn the club nothing.
    It also needs to be considered whether any given Chelsea fan buying a named shirt is buying it because of a particular player, or for other reasons, such as liking the current season's design - basically, would they still have bought the shirt if the player wasn't on the team? Looking at some of the conversations on this blog, the answer is probably yes, but I think proving this either way is almost impossible.
    All things considered, shirt sales are an okay source of revenue for the club. 8.4-18 million euros a year is better than nothing - for comparison our deal with Samsung is estimated to be around 14 million euros annually. But the impact of individual players (especially popular ones) on shirt sales has been grossly overestimated. No player can pay for himself on the back of shirt sales, so if anyone suggests that they can, feel free to tell them they're wrong.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Given that united and barca sell the most jerseys a season at about 2.2m, and that the clubs only see about £15m for ones sold in official club shops, and £2m sold at third party stores, there's absolutely no chance AT ALL that ronaldo made back anything resembling his transfer fee on merchandise sales yet. Like I said, it's not enough to cover 6 months wages for these guys, never mind their signing fees. It's a complete myth

Show me figures that Beckham made his fee back before the season... because that'd have needed Real to sell about 1.6 MILLION jerseys Beckham from their club shop. Given that Barca and United sell about 25% more than that globally over the course of a year, I'm calling BS on that one

*edit*

beaten to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Rumour starting to surface that City are in for Anzhi's Will.I.An, a fee of 40 million euros mentioned too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Given that united and barca sell the most jerseys a season at about 2.2m, and that the clubs only see about £15m for ones sold in official club shops, and £2m sold at third party stores, there's absolutely no chance AT ALL that ronaldo made back anything resembling his transfer fee on merchandise sales yet. Like I said, it's not enough to cover 6 months wages for these guys, never mind their signing fees. It's a complete myth

Show me figures that Beckham made his fee back before the season... because that'd have needed Real to sell about 1.6 MILLION jerseys Beckham from their club shop. Given that Barca and United sell about 25% more than that globally over the course of a year, I'm calling BS on that one

*edit*

beaten to it

It wasn't actually down to shirt sales. Real Madrid controlled 50% of Beckham's image rights which is where they made their money. I'm not sure if they're still getting that big a slice from Ronaldo and other marquee signings but that's where a huge amount of their revenue comes from.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Rumour starting to surface that City are in for Anzhi's Will.I.An, a fee of 40 million euros mentioned too.

Was the stand out player when Chelsea played them in the group stages of both games last season. Think he would be a great signing for City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

All players have to give 50% image rights to Madrid to join. Its a term thats set in stone by the club.

Beckham paid off his own fee and several first team wages like Zidane & Figo during his time in Madrid. Something that Perez boasts to anyone that will listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I'm not fan of him myself, but to be fair to him, he did well last season with Zaragoga. 14 goals for a team that relegated as pretty much as good as he could have done.

Just reading a few sources, the deal totals to around €3M with a 500K add on if scores over 15 goals this coming season. I hope for Los Che sake, he's not the only signing they make despite their financial troubles though.

Word is that he is a replacement for Nelson Valdez who left to the UAE at the start of the summer. There have been a lot of rumours about different player Valencia have made loan offers for, including Torres, Drogba and Javier Hernandez.

Honestly, I am not too worried even if we don't get a new striker to replace Soldado. Jonas scored around 20 goals last season playing in a deep role, and the season before he joined Valencia he scored over 40 for Gremio as a striker.

If Jonas is used in a more advanced role (as Djukic has used him in pre-season), Postiga can score anything like last season and Paco Alcacer, one of the best young talents in Spain now, gets more game time, Valencia should be fine for goals. In a couple of seasons Paco should be a better striker than Soldado anyway.

The midfield is looking much stronger this season too; should be a good campaign, hopefully pushing for 3rd again. Very promising signs against Inter and Everton in pre-season.

McClean has completed his move to Wigan.

BRJERgBCUAAQ4j0.png
    Latics beat off competition for talented Irish winger

Wigan Athletic are delighted to confirm the signing of 24-year-old Republic of Ireland international winger James McClean from Sunderland for an undisclosed fee.

The paperwork on the three year deal was completed this morning after the player completed a medical at the club yesterday and McClean can now officially be confirmed as being a Wigan Athletic player.

The club have again moved quickly in the transfer market and won the race for the highly talented, and in-demand, attacking midfielder who has been coveted by a number of Championship and Premier League clubs.

McClean becomes Owen Coyle’s tenth signing of the summer transfer window, as the Wigan Athletic Manager continues to strengthen his squad, and will wear the number 11 shirt for the season.

After completing his move, McClean said:

"I'm delighted it's all been completed and I can say I'm a Wigan Athletic player. This is a fantastic club and after speaking with the Manager I can't wait to meet the rest of the team, start training and hopefully make my debut very soon with the aim of helping us get back to the Premier League."

McClean arrives at the DW Stadium two years after first signing for the Black Cats from hometown club Derry City, with whom he made 78 appearances.

Whilst at the Stadium of Light he made 59 league appearances and scored seven goals, the first of which came at Latics’ home in a 4-1 victory for Martin O’Neill’s men in January 2012, winning the club’s Young Player of the Year award at the end of that season.

At international level, McClean represented Northern Ireland at Under 21 level before going on to play for the Republic of Ireland senior team, making his debut in February 2012 against the Czech Republic at the Aviva Stadium, and earning twelve caps in total. He is in Giovanni Trapattoni’s squad to face Wales in Cardiff next week together with James McCarthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Bernard has moved to Shaktar

elefant wrote: »
    Word is that he is a replacement for Nelson Valdez who left to the UAE at the start of the summer. There have been a lot of rumours about different player Valencia have made loan offers for, including Torres, Drogba and Javier Hernandez.

Honestly, I am not too worried even if we don't get a new striker to replace Soldado. Jonas scored around 20 goals last season playing in a deep role, and the season before he joined Valencia he scored over 40 for Gremio as a striker.

If Jonas is used in a more advanced role (as Djukic has used him in pre-season), Postiga can score anything like last season and Paco Alcacer, one of the best young talents in Spain now, gets more game time, Valencia should be fine for goals. In a couple of seasons Paco should be a better striker than Soldado anyway.

The midfield is looking much stronger this season too; should be a good campaign, hopefully pushing for 3rd again. Very promising signs against Inter and Everton in pre-season.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing Alcacer getting more game time this season. I hope for Valencia and the players development sake he stays for a couple of seasons. As well as Canales staying fit. Perhaps I'm kidding myself on that one I feel unfortunately.

Jonas did well and probably doesn't get the credit he deserves at times, but at other times, he can be so utterly frustrating. The Sevilla game at the end of last season being a perfect example of this where he was missing some rather easy chances before getting sent off by half time. Sevilla went on to win the game 4-3. I'm delighted La Real got fourth place if not Valencia but if he didn't get himself sent off, it could have been different.

• Advertisement
Advertisement